User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 235
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know two people ...

One got his bachelors and masters and became assistant coach at the same school.
The other graduated, served as an officer in the Navy and became a Delta Pilot.

I would have zero problem with providing a stipend.  However, wouldn't that make then a professional.  Even worse, wouldn't that open the door for the union argument?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really wish some college would have screwed me over by providing room, meals, medical, tuition, books, etc., all while I got to play a game I loved at another level for 4 more years.

A serious question: do know any people who were college athletes at big programs?

I know two people ...

One got his bachelors and masters and became assistant coach at the same school.
The other graduated, served as an officer in the Navy and became a Delta Pilot.

Quoted:

Perhaps a stipend that isn't a guarantee? Perhaps attach it to both GPA and behavior (ie, no run ins with the law). Someone who maintains at 3.0 or higher and no arrests and such would get "x" amount monthly.

I'm not suggesting any more than say $500 monthly. Maybe even lower....say $300

I would have zero problem with providing a stipend.  However, wouldn't that make then a professional.  Even worse, wouldn't that open the door for the union argument?

How much do you pay the non-scholarship athletes?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I can see where the big sports of football and basketball are likely use and abuse the athletes who don't or can't take advantages of the scholarship.
I doubt that is occurring in the smaller sports.

Should all scholarship athletes receive a stipend or just the revenue generating sports?

Monk
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I can see where the big sports of football and basketball are likely use and abuse the athletes who don't or can't take advantages of the scholarship.

Should all scholarship athletes receive a stipend or just the revenue generating sports?

Monk
View Quote
They should just take off the restrictions on booster gifts and let nature take its course.  The stories coming out of the big schools would be hilarious.  Can you imagine what Miami would look like with the boosters unleashed?

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They should just take off the restrictions on booster gifts and let nature take its course.  The stories coming out of the big schools would be hilarious.  Can you imagine what Miami would look like with the boosters unleashed?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Monk

Probably increase attendance all the way up to this:

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Funny how some of the Michigan State people are acting around here. Jim Harbaugh has basically tried being non existent in the media, making interviews short or not doing them at all.

Yet, the word around from Michigan State seems to be that Jim Harbaugh is gloating about how great Michigan is going to be and they're all pissed that Jim Harbaugh all up in the spot light. They're acting like Jim Harbaugh took a microphone and started making guarantees about beating Michigan State or making all kind of insults toward the program.

It's fucking weird how people are trying soooooo hard to hate Jim Harbaugh. Just making up shit to fester up their rage.
View Quote

It means they're nervous
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Monk
View Quote

I admit, I really don't know the "fair" answer.

But to WDeagles question....as an ROTC cadet I earned a monthly stipend of $100. That was a while ago. I think they earn a lot more than that now,....maybe $400-500. Not sure.

But it's a similar situation.

Again, I don't know what is a "fair" solution but I do know the "system" as is now, well, it's just broken.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Perhaps a stipend that isn't a guarantee? Perhaps attach it to both GPA and behavior (ie, no run ins with the law). Someone who maintains at 3.0 or higher and no arrests and such would get "x" amount monthly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah I'm kind of in between on the compensation thing. The athlete and their families are being provided 10's of thousands of dollars for education/books/housing so their kid will play a game that they love.

At the same time you hear the story about the basketball player (can't remember who or where from) that had no money to even get some food, then you juxtapose that with the billions being raked in by the NCAA and the absurd amount of money coaching staffs make these days. A player representing his school should never have to go hungry, it's ridiculous.

No idea how to fix it but the two extremes are damn near criminal.

I would agree that a $500/month stipend for scholarship athletes at D-IA schools would be good. The extra expense might convince nome of the bottom-tier programs that already barely break even (or less) to stay in IAA, which would probably benefit everybody.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
SNIP

But to WDeagles question....as an ROTC cadet I earned a monthly stipend of $100. That was a while ago. I think they earn a lot more than that now,....maybe $400-500. Not sure.

Again, I don't know what is a "fair" solution but I do know the "system" as is now, well, it's just broken.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
SNIP

From the ROTC site

Army ROTC scholarships also provide monthly living allowances for each school year. You can earn certain amounts depending on your level in the Army ROTC curriculum:
1st year, $300 per month
2nd year, $350 per month
3rd year, $450 per month
4th year, $500 per month
This allowance is also available to all non-scholarship Cadets enrolled in the Army ROTC Advanced Course (3rd and 4th years).

A stipend might prevent issues such as Gurley's stupidity with the pay for signing.
I don't think it would stop folks like Johnny Football simply because of amount he was getting.

I view college sports as the journeyman level of an apprenticeship program.
High schools sports are filled with lots of apprentices and some are selected to move to the next level.
College athletes are given change to improve their skills while receiving some compensation for their efforts
Really good ones are selected for the pros and make well become well compensated masters of their trades.

Monk
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Monk

Miami? Boosters? Holy crap are you misinformed. Miami has an undergrad enrollment of <12,000, an infinitesimal percentage of which actually care about the football team when the CANES aren't ranked in the top 10. The local population is indifferent, as illustrated just about every week by the approximately 30k empty seats on gameday. Miami relies heavily on 200 donors known as Golden Canes, who donate between $15 & $30 a year and an occasional big donation from famous alumni like the Rock. Why do you think that little prick Shapiro was able to get the access he did? It's because the money he was throwing around was a HUGE deal...and even then it was mostly bullshit like lap dances and dinner at Benihana. Saban's $3M house was paid for by Alabama's boosters. Meanwhile, Al Golden is only the 6th highest paid head coach in the ACC...but you know keep hating the CANES because of what happened 30 years ago. SMDH.

Edit: I meant to type between $15 & $30 thousand.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Miami? Boosters? Holy crap are you misinformed. Miami has an undergrad enrollment of <12,000, an infinitesimal percentage of which actually care about the football team when the CANES aren't ranked in the top 10. The local population is indifferent, as illustrated just about every week by the approximately 30k empty seats on gameday. Miami relies heavily on 200 donors known as Golden Canes, who donate between $15 & $30 a year and an occasional big donation from famous alumni like the Rock. Why do you think that little prick Shapiro was able to get the access he did? It's because the money he was throwing around was a HUGE deal...and even then it was mostly bullshit like lap dances and dinner at Benihana. Saban's $3M house was paid for by Alabama's boosters. Meanwhile, Al Golden is only the 6th highest paid head coach in the ACC...but you know keep hating the CANES because of what happened 30 years ago. SMDH.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

Monk
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:46:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd be more interested in week 4 when Tenn goes to Gainesville. When was the last time you guys got a win there?  That will be the measure of how good you are this year.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:47:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Funny how some of the Michigan State people are acting around here. Jim Harbaugh has basically tried being non existent in the media, making interviews short or not doing them at all.

Yet, the word around from Michigan State seems to be that Jim Harbaugh is gloating about how great Michigan is going to be and they're all pissed that Jim Harbaugh all up in the spot light. They're acting like Jim Harbaugh took a microphone and started making guarantees about beating Michigan State or making all kind of insults toward the program.

It's fucking weird how people are trying soooooo hard to hate Jim Harbaugh. Just making up shit to fester up their rage.
View Quote

LOL, Michigan problems.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Notable injuries. Seems Tennessee really got hit hard. A few others have key players out.....

Injured College Football Palyers Heading into 2015 season
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Monk

I'm a Nebraska fan.  We haven't hated the Canes since the 90s.  I was just remembering the last couple times the U got sanctioned and it was for real hilarious stuff like parties on yachts with strippers.  Those are the kinds of stories I am hoping for, front page TMZ stuff.  And as someone else pointed out, Texas would probably be even more lulzy.  I mean, did you not get that my post was a joke?

See you September 19th.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Neuvo Riche.  Despite their recent success, Sparty hasn't won a title since the 60s, and most of those were the disputed kind when 87 different polls had their own national champs.  Teams like that get real prickly about any perceived slight.  Us Husker fans have the same thing with Wisconsin.  Yeah they've had our number under Bo, but wake me when you actually win the big show before your tirade about how you are so awesome and Nebraska will never be relevant again.    

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm a Nebraska fan.  We haven't hated the Canes since the 90s.  I was just remembering the last couple times the U got sanctioned and it was for real hilarious stuff like parties on yachts with strippers.  Those are the kinds of stories I am hoping for, front page TMZ stuff.  And as someone else pointed out, Texas would probably be even more lulzy.  I mean, did you not get that my post was a joke?

See you September 19th.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Monk

See you September 19th.  

I overreacted. Honestly, I think I may need an intervention. Since the Peach Bowl loss to LSU in 2005 it's been real hard being a die hard CANES fan.

Most of our own so called fans are so fucking stupid it's hard to even have a conversation about the state of the program.

I just found out that the pricks that make up a small vocal minority of the CANES fanbase that call themselves the West End Zone crew are going to fly a banner (from a plane) at the opening game this season calling for Golden's head.

I mean, what in the actual fuck do these retards think that will accomplish...except embarrass the program? Couldn't they at least wait until we lose a game to start their bullshit.

The negative climate surrounding the Miami program has been unbearable for the past ten years. I've been a fan for 25 years and I've encountered good and bad fans from rival fanbases all over the country, but to be honest, I believe we have the worst fanbase in the history of sports on the planet earth.

I was at the 2002 Rose Bowl and I gotta say Husker fans are some of the best I've encountered. I wish you luck this season...except when we play
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I wish you luck this season...except when we play
View Quote
Likewise.  Y'all go ahead and tear up the ACC.  Just have a down week on the 19th.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Notable injuries. Seems Tennessee really got hit hard. A few others have key players out.....

View Quote

Arkansas losing Williams is a huge blow and will likely change how their season goes.  They are a run happy team with only one real veteran running back now.  Ouch.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
SNIP

I just found out that the pricks that make up a small vocal minority of the CANES fanbase that call themselves the West End Zone crew are going to fly a banner (from a plane) at the opening game this season calling for Golden's head.

View Quote

Do you think the program would still attract high quality candidates?

Monk

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
SNIP

View Quote

The four types of people that make up a Fanbase..... And it's for those reasons why your Fanbase sucks the way it does

1)  The Fairweather fan- these are the T-shirt fans that root for the team when they are winning and in the spotlight.   Every school has them, UM is not unique in this regard.

2)  The students/alumni -   UM  is actually a very small academic school and therefore your student based and alumni base is not very large to begin with (of all the UM fans I've encountered, these have been the nicest and most reasonable.)

3) Family/Faculty/Friends - these are the people who are connected to the school either through their children/parents/sibling/good friends who go there or are an employee there. For some larger schools this is actually a good size portion of the fan base.

4) Hometown fans -  The city of Miami is not a college town and they are far greater things in that city for most people who live there to be concerned with. Also many of the residents are transient and not native to either the city or even the state of Florida .  In other college towns, the "home team"  is a great source of pride and they identify with the school and team.   They have  grown-up their whole lives rooting for "the home team".

For most teams, category 1 is the smallest part (by far) of their fan base. For UM however, it is actually the largest.....which is why your fans suck....for the most part anyway.

Look at FU, even though I dislike them, category 4 for them is a legit part of their fan base and makes up some of their most die-hard fans even though they never went to the school. For them, wearing jorts and tank tops while sporting a mullet is just natural.

Not trying to put you down or bicker...it's just the truth.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Arkansas losing Williams is a huge blow and will likely change how their season goes.  They are a run happy team with only one real veteran running back now.  Ouch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. When I saw that I thought he was the biggest single loss on that list.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A serious question: do know any people who were college athletes at big programs?

I have two that are very good friends. I am friendly with several others. I once felt like your above post until I learned more. The players are definitely taken advantage of. In several different ways.

One, was coerced essentially into taking "basket weaving" courses to maintain an easy GPA to ensure eligibility to play. During his senior year of school  (redshirt Junior play wise) they talked him into graduating with the BS degree even though he wanted to change his degree around to ensure a more useful degree for a legit career (he was good but knew he wasn't good enough to play long term or at all in the NFL) he technically had another year under his scholarship agreement and wanted to stay...they forced him/coerced him out.

My other friend was a lineman at FSU under Bowden. I love FSU, love Bobby, but trust me when I say that program chewed him up and spit him out when he was no longer useful to them. They really don't care about your academics.

Honestly, part of the fix needs to be a refocusing of efforts on the academic development of these young men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really wish some college would have screwed me over by providing room, meals, medical, tuition, books, etc., all while I got to play a game I loved at another level for 4 more years.

I have two that are very good friends. I am friendly with several others. I once felt like your above post until I learned more. The players are definitely taken advantage of. In several different ways.

One, was coerced essentially into taking "basket weaving" courses to maintain an easy GPA to ensure eligibility to play. During his senior year of school  (redshirt Junior play wise) they talked him into graduating with the BS degree even though he wanted to change his degree around to ensure a more useful degree for a legit career (he was good but knew he wasn't good enough to play long term or at all in the NFL) he technically had another year under his scholarship agreement and wanted to stay...they forced him/coerced him out.

My other friend was a lineman at FSU under Bowden. I love FSU, love Bobby, but trust me when I say that program chewed him up and spit him out when he was no longer useful to them. They really don't care about your academics.

Honestly, part of the fix needs to be a refocusing of efforts on the academic development of these young men.

That's an example of 1 program / coach.
I know a retired head coach (Big 12) who told me his biggest accomplishment in his coaching career was raising the graduation rate of his players.
Speaks a lot of the man he is.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Notre Dame announced that they are putting in a video board! Thank you Jesus!
View Quote

I'm sure they wont let it block his view.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's an example of 1 program / coach.
I know a retired head coach (Big 12) who told me his biggest accomplishment in his coaching career was raising the graduation rate of his players.
Speaks a lot of the man he is.

View Quote

I agree. Unfortunately your friend is by far the exception to the rule I believe

EDIT: Also, although the coach may be a great guy, there is still the University/College and most of them really don't care as much.  They are still generating revenue off these guys.  And ALL of them regardless of how they feel/treat the players must still bow to the NCAA
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like Sparty has a chip on his shoulder.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#27]

9-3 is realistic, but I think we could steal one between Auburn(in Atlanta), Clemson @ home and @FSU or drop one @ NCSt.

Go Cards!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Harbaugh at Michigan and their program improving spells tougher recruiting for State which can lead to less success on the field.
Its good when your instate rivals are down on their luck.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds ominous. Hope it's not a major injury or something.

Ohio State abruptly cancelled interviews and people in this building look like they got the wind knocked out of them.
View Quote

https://twitter.com/AriWasserman/status/636671794280275972

eta- aw man, they're saying a WR, Noah Brown, broke his leg badly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ohio State abruptly cancelled interviews and people in this building look like they got the wind knocked out of them.

Hope the kid recovers and its not career ending if its that bad.
Hate seeing players get injured.
That being said its a position they have some depth at and he isn't / or wasn't a factor last year in the receiving category.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That being said its a position they have some depth at and he isn't / or wasn't a factor last year in the receiving category.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yah I don't know their depth chart up and down but I've read he was having a big camp, and was poised to be a contributor. They're still loaded. Injuries suck though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Monk

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

Monk

Realistically? It depends on your definition of a high quality candidate...but the short answer is NO.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The four types of people that make up a Fanbase..... And it's for those reasons why your Fanbase sucks the way it does

1)  The Fairweather fan- these are the T-shirt fans that root for the team when they are winning and in the spotlight.   Every school has them, UM is not unique in this regard.

2)  The students/alumni -   UM  is actually a very small academic school and therefore your student based and alumni base is not very large to begin with (of all the UM fans I've encountered, these have been the nicest and most reasonable.)

3) Family/Faculty/Friends - these are the people who are connected to the school either through their children/parents/sibling/good friends who go there or are an employee there. For some larger schools this is actually a good size portion of the fan base.

4) Hometown fans -  The city of Miami is not a college town and they are far greater things in that city for most people who live there to be concerned with. Also many of the residents are transient and not native to either the city or even the state of Florida .  In other college towns, the "home team"  is a great source of pride and they identify with the school and team.   They have  grown-up their whole lives rooting for "the home team".

For most teams, category 1 is the smallest part (by far) of their fan base. For UM however, it is actually the largest.....which is why your fans suck....for the most part anyway.

Look at FU, even though I dislike them, category 4 for them is a legit part of their fan base and makes up some of their most die-hard fans even though they never went to the school. For them, wearing jorts and tank tops while sporting a mullet is just natural.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
SNIP

I can't argue with any of that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Damn Makes me cringe just reading it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I want Baylor to switch to Adidas so I can get me one of these.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yah I don't know their depth chart up and down but I've read he was having a big camp, and was poised to be a contributor. They're still loaded. Injuries suck though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He had 1 reception last year as a frosh.
They returned like 5 of their top 6 receivers from last year.
Doubt its going to effect them 1 bit but that doesn't change the fact it sucks for the kid.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I've had enough of GD (and other) forum shenanigans for a while, I need something more sane, so let's talk some football!

I mentioned before how little news there is around Wisconsin football as the season nears, a stark departure from last year. Today, there's a column (here if you care to read it). The subhead tells the story, for me. "Chryst might not wyn the press conference, but connects with his players." He did a mediocre job at Pitt, but only had three years there. Coming back to Wisconsin, he gets to reconnect with his old recruiting contacts, and he retained arguably the best defensive coordinator in the B!G. I'm not predicting a return to the conference championship, but I am cautiously optimistic that this year won't suck. Bring it on! I say Wisconsin will lead Bama at halftime, and lose a close one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've had enough of GD (and other) forum shenanigans for a while, I need something more sane, so let's talk some football!

I mentioned before how little news there is around Wisconsin football as the season nears, a stark departure from last year. Today, there's a column (here if you care to read it). The subhead tells the story, for me. "Chryst might not wyn the press conference, but connects with his players." He did a mediocre job at Pitt, but only had three years there. Coming back to Wisconsin, he gets to reconnect with his old recruiting contacts, and he retained arguably the best defensive coordinator in the B!G. I'm not predicting a return to the conference championship, but I am cautiously optimistic that this year won't suck. Bring it on! I say Wisconsin will lead Bama at halftime, and lose a close one.
View Quote

I have some good friends who went to Wisconsin....so by default they're probably my fav Big 10 team.  Would not mind seeing them do well this year....looks like they lost a decent amount of firepower though. Gordon gone, along with the coach and some of the offensive line.  Think they'll be able to generate much offense this year?  I seem to remember their QB being pretty mediocre last year....which wasn't much of a problem when he could hand it off to Gordon.  Am I making things up?

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Also, nothing is official or signed yet and even if it happens it won't be until 2018......but there is a very good chance we may be moving back to College Station.

So if anyone who posts in this thread wants to come catch a game, you'll have a place to stay.....in a few years.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Also, nothing is official or signed yet and even if it happens it won't be until 2018......but there is a very good chance we may be moving back to College Station.

So if anyone who posts in this thread wants to come catch a game, you'll have a place to stay.....in a few years.

View Quote

I bet the housing prices have increased drastically over the last few years.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have.

And will probably be even worse in another 3 years.  

Worth it.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have some good friends who went to Wisconsin....so by default they're probably my fav Big 10 team.  Would not mind seeing them do well this year....looks like they lost a decent amount of firepower though. Gordon gone, along with the coach and some of the offensive line.  Think they'll be able to generate much offense this year?  I seem to remember their QB being pretty mediocre last year....which wasn't much of a problem when he could hand it off to Gordon.  Am I making things up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mentioned before how little news there is around Wisconsin football as the season nears, a stark departure from last year. Today, there's a column (here if you care to read it). The subhead tells the story, for me. "Chryst might not win the press conference, but connects with his players." He did a mediocre job at Pitt, but only had three years there. Coming back to Wisconsin, he gets to reconnect with his old recruiting contacts, and he retained arguably the best defensive coordinator in the B!G. I'm not predicting a return to the conference championship, but I am cautiously optimistic that this year won't suck. Bring it on! I say Wisconsin will lead Bama at halftime, and lose a close one.

There are serious questions on the O-line. Which may not be huge, just no all-Americans this year. At least, I hope it's okay. Corey Clement had nearly 1,000 yards last year. He's no Melvin Gordon, but he can do fine, if the o-line holds and defenses can't stack the box. The QB is in his third year, so he shouldn't suck as badly, but the receiving corps is even worse than last year, if that's possible. There's a new tight end, and that was as far as Stave could throw last year, but I think the new guy will be okay. So yeah, this figures to be a down year offensively. There are going to be a lot of low-scoring games in Madison this year, I think. The schedule is pretty favorable, but it could still reasonably be a four-loss season. The gap between a best-case and worst-case season is very large this year. If things all went well, we could get curb-stomped by OSU in the title game again. If everything went the other way, we could back into a Dec 26 bowl game. I will not admit the possibility of a losing season.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#43]
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13516442/herbie-award-candidates-winners-2015-kirk-herbstreit-college-football

Looks like herbie is picking these teams for the playoff:

Ohio State Buckeyes

LSU Tigers

Oklahoma Sooners

Arizona State Sun Devils

Seems a bit odd picking three outliers for the playoffs.  I'm not sure which of the three I'm more baffled by.  He thinks USC is not good, which I suppose is reasonable.  OU has a new system with a new QB and lot of youngins.  LSU, I'm not even sure why, do they have a favorable schedule?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13516442/herbie-award-candidates-winners-2015-kirk-herbstreit-college-football

Ohio State Buckeyes
LSU Tigers
Oklahoma Sooners
Arizona State Sun Devils

Seems a bit odd picking three outliers for the playoffs.  I'm not sure which of the three I'm more baffled by.  He thinks USC is not good, which I suppose is reasonable.  OU has a new system with a new QB and lot of youngins.  LSU, I'm not even sure why, do they have a favorable schedule?
View Quote

Lol, no
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If OU wins the Big 12, I would think they would be a shoo in for the playoffs.

Winning the Big 12 this year is going to be pretty hard I would think. There is going to be a lot of places to stumble for any of the teams.

If this happens,

OU beat Tenn on the road,
WV at home
Texas in Dallas
K St on the road
Beats everyone else like TT ect

They then get to end the season with TCU, Baylor and then OSU (rivalry game) all in a row.

If they do that, they should be in the playoffs and a real contender.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohio State Buckeyes
LSU Tigers
Oklahoma Sooners
Arizona State Sun Devils

If OU wins the Big 12, I would think they would be a shoo in for the playoffs.

Winning the Big 12 this year is going to be pretty hard I would think. There is going to be a lot of places to stumble for any of the teams.

If this happens,

OU beat Tenn on the road,
WV at home
Texas in Dallas
K St on the road
Beats everyone else like TT ect

They then get to end the season with TCU, Baylor and then OSU (rivalry game) all in a row.

If they do that, they should be in the playoffs and a real contender.

I don't think anyone is getting through undefeated...hasn't happened in a while.

eta- and OU certainly isn't beating Baylor in Waco
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd laugh if they did though.  

Hopefully we can upset ASU's apple cart early this year....though if they go on to run the PAC an early loss can be forgiven, as we saw last year.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Hopefully we can upset ASU's apple cart early this year....though if they go on to run the PAC an early loss can be forgiven, as we saw last year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha, I remember the Dark Days when we'd laugh if we beat OU.

But seriously, BU has been really tough at home the past 4 years or so.

eta - @TCU, @Ok St., @K-State in that order are the tricky ones
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nice, I think.

A long time ago when they were looking at building Traditions, my boss asked me why I didn't apply for the superintendent job. I told him that College Station was fun, but I just didn't think I wanted to be an adult there.

Page / 235
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top