Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Im still in our townhouse for another couple months so nothing large. Im doing broccoli and jalapenos.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
This year I am trying the pallet gardening method. Up until last year we had about 2 acres of garden. It started getting harder and harder to have time to go to the farm and care for everything properly so I have scaled way back. We don't need very much produce for just the 2 of us and a few friends. My "garden" now is 4 pallets, 2 long X 2 high, and an 8x8 square built from landscape timbers. I have a few containers for cabbages, cucumbers, and going to try to grow sweet potatoes in an old trash can.

I have filled all of my containers, pallets, and square with "dirt" from where we cleaned our barn out 3 and 5 years ago. It is a very good mix of goat and cow shit mixed with hay. It was limed when put in the pile and limed again when I started planting to neutralize any acid from urine. I will take a few pics tomorrow and post.

Currently have planted:
5 - tomatoes (2 Big Boy, 1 Golden Jublilee, 1 Purple Cherokee, and 1 Bonnie's Best)
12 - peppers ( 2 orange bell, 2 red bell, 1 green bell, 1 yellow bell, 1 Gypsy, 1 golden cayenne, 1 hot salsa pepper, 2 jalapeños, and 1 sweet banana)
15 - okra plants
9 - cabbage ( These are an experiment. They are supposed to grow giant cabbages that can weigh up to 40 lbs. )
1 - pound sweet onion sets ( must be some damn good dirt, last night the onions were about 2" tall and tonight the are about 4" high)

Next weeks plantings:
Peanut beans ( for eating right away)
Missouri Wonder beans ( for canning)
Greasy beans ( to save seed)
Rattlesnake beans ( for canning)
Dwarf Taylor Horticulture beans ( for drying for shelly beans)
Space master cucumbers
Boston Pickling cucumbers
Sweet potatoes

I may wait a few weeks before planting my greasy beans to make sure no critters are going to attack my garden. I only have about 3/4 of a pound left and I plan on saving majority of the seeds that grow this year. Those damn things are getting as rare as hens teeth. I also have a 1/2 lb of Turkey Craw beans that I may try to plant to save seed from.

I quit growing corn because either the deer, coons, crows, or wind would ruin it. It is cheaper and less stress on me to buy some corn to put in the freezer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck,yeah.

I always have asparagus, peas, beans, tomatoes, kohlrabi, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, carrots, blueberries, raspberries, and herbs such as rosemary, thyme, sage, lemongrass, bay leaves, and plums.

Things're a month ahead here in Seattle, at this point.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Blueberries...........

Never tried them.

Are they something that needs to be grown in cooler weather or are they heat tolerant during the summer while they are maturing?

Water requirements?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my garden is a Whiteshield tree (fruitless, thornless Bodark / Boi D'Arc / hedge apple / horse apple / maclura pomifera) that I am growing to let its trunk thicken before chopping into a bonsai, two grapevines and two blueberry bushes (though I do not recall the variety of those).

Blueberries...........

Never tried them.

Are they something that needs to be grown in cooler weather or are they heat tolerant during the summer while they are maturing?

Water requirements?

There are varieties that will grow down your way.  The soil has to be acidic or they will grow poorly.  A mix of 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 pine bark mulch and 1/3 garden soil.  Mix in some garden sulfur which is slowly oxidized to sulfuric acid to keep the soil acidic.  They like moist soil but not wet.  I have 3 huge bushes and 20 smaller ones.  

I've got my garlic, walking onions, radishes and kale planted.  The first two went in last fall.  Check out the Homested, Farm & Garden sub-forum.  Lots of great reading.  Here is my garlic thread.

11-08-2014

04-05-2015

The straw is on the garlic bed to protect it in the winter.  The garlic is up but I haven't posted pictures of that yet.  102 cloves of hardneck garlic.

The rest of the garden is slowly being planted.  I also have an asparagus bed so those should be coming up soon.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP look up "garbage can potatoes." Much easier to deal with, and get a "Farmers Almanac" for some tips and tricks.

ETA: Blueberries are easy, keeping birds off them is hard. They grow in the summer here in FL, so TN should be fine.
View Quote

I've been able to keep them completely off with light black netting.  That stuff is worth its weight in gold.  I bunch it up at the end of the season and re-use it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#7]

I envy everyone's tomatoes.  Mine are wiped out every year by Verticillium Wilt and I've stopped even trying.  Resistant plants have poor flavor.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:07:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have about 18 tomato plants assorted variety, about 10 pepper plants that always do great. I planted a row of radish's and just tried them yesterday and boy they are hot more than my likely. I also have about 10 rows of purple hull peas and 8 rows of sweet corn. I also have a mound of zucchini, cantaloupe, and 2 mounds of straight neck squash. It is really more than I can manage but worth it. I started this year by putting 10 yards of mushroom dirt in the garden. My garden is about 30X60. I tried growing some Carolina Reapers by seed but they didn't make it.
View Quote

I find that my sweetest tasting radishes are grown in the Fall here.

They don`t like the heat from the warmer months.

Just my experience.

Ever tried the French Breakfast variety? Those things are huge!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I envy everyone's tomatoes.  Mine are wiped out every year by Verticillium Wilt and I've stopped even trying.  Resistant plants have poor flavor.
View Quote
Have you tried real Italian plum tomatoes? I have found they are resistant to the rot that kills the others. I got some real San Marzano seeds some years ago, and they are bad ass.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
23 tomato plants, Cherokee purple, pear, Tycoon, Roma. About a dozen mixed peppers, squash, carrots, cucumbers, cilantro, corn, a peanut plant, a pumpkin plant, plus more. Onions are doing awesome in a 4x4 raised box.

This was 3 weeks ago, a lot different now.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/dtolerant/image_3.jpg
View Quote

Looking at that pulverized dirt,

I never get that here.

Always freakin` wet clods about golf ball size.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Putting in tomatoes, green beans, sweet peas, squash, zucchini, onions, peppers and corn.  Corn is the hardest since all the local deer like to fatten up on it.  This year I plan to fatten up on them in return.  
View Quote

I have heard more than one complaint of this happening.

My problem is Wabbits, at times..

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:12:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I tried to do some red white and blue tulips but the fuckin rabbits ate the bulbs and a few that sprouted.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No op, we raised a garden for years (and have the canning to prove it) so we're taking a break from it this year

Other than a couple tomato plants, artichoke and onions I put out, we should be set food wise, for any apocalypses that may arise

Feels kinda nice but do feel a twinge of guilt for not turning some ground
View Quote

I would fall over and shake like a meth head without a fix, if I didn`t turn soil over and put something in it during growing season.

It is more addictive than GD.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Obviously some things do better than others but I'm limited greatly by ground freeze times.  I usually can only grow outdoors safely from mid May to mid / late September.  i'm only successful starting veggies indoors early in March as I mentioned before.   I  am not a huge grower by any means...  Just make enough to supplement meals here n there.  I have the most success with greens and do well with smaller basil, chives, parsley and thyme.   Onion, peppers, cucumbers ets are also tough.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do a garden every year out here in the Rockies.  I struggle most with tomatoes because of the short growing season and have the most success with lettuces and kale.  I've found over the past few years in a high alpine climate that starting your seeds indoors around March really helps your grow season and watering everyday in a dry climate.

How many months out of the growing season are most "profitable" for you?

When I say that, I mean, how long do you have to grow the things that you want to?

Obviously some things do better than others but I'm limited greatly by ground freeze times.  I usually can only grow outdoors safely from mid May to mid / late September.  i'm only successful starting veggies indoors early in March as I mentioned before.   I  am not a huge grower by any means...  Just make enough to supplement meals here n there.  I have the most success with greens and do well with smaller basil, chives, parsley and thyme.   Onion, peppers, cucumbers ets are also tough.  

Your growing time is much shorter than mine.

You would do much better with the cooler weather plants.

My window of opportunity is wider, but when cold weather sets in ( and one is never certain around here as to when that will truly be ), anything out there, is toast.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:19:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Im still in our townhouse for another couple months so nothing large. Im doing broccoli and jalapenos.
View Quote

Are you doing them in a container or something?

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

My family has a strain of old world tomatoes that've been grown here for just about 100 years. It's too late for you to start them this year, but if you want some for next season, I can mail some up to you. They're ugly but all meat.

This year will be tomatoes, eggplant, basil, bok choi, peas, pole beans, pickling cukes, regular cukes, poatoes and most likely lots of inadvertent purslane.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This year I am trying the pallet gardening method. Up until last year we had about 2 acres of garden. It started getting harder and harder to have time to go to the farm and care for everything properly so I have scaled way back. We don't need very much produce for just the 2 of us and a few friends. My "garden" now is 4 pallets, 2 long X 2 high, and an 8x8 square built from landscape timbers. I have a few containers for cabbages, cucumbers, and going to try to grow sweet potatoes in an old trash can.

I have filled all of my containers, pallets, and square with "dirt" from where we cleaned our barn out 3 and 5 years ago. It is a very good mix of goat and cow shit mixed with hay. It was limed when put in the pile and limed again when I started planting to neutralize any acid from urine. I will take a few pics tomorrow and post.

Currently have planted:
5 - tomatoes (2 Big Boy, 1 Golden Jublilee, 1 Purple Cherokee, and 1 Bonnie's Best)
12 - peppers ( 2 orange bell, 2 red bell, 1 green bell, 1 yellow bell, 1 Gypsy, 1 golden cayenne, 1 hot salsa pepper, 2 jalapeños, and 1 sweet banana)
15 - okra plants
9 - cabbage ( These are an experiment. They are supposed to grow giant cabbages that can weigh up to 40 lbs. )
1 - pound sweet onion sets ( must be some damn good dirt, last night the onions were about 2" tall and tonight the are about 4" high)

Next weeks plantings:
Space master cucumbers
Sweet potatoes

I may wait a few weeks before planting my greasy beans to make sure no critters are going to attack my garden. I only have about 3/4 of a pound left and I plan on saving majority of the seeds that grow this year. Those damn things are getting as rare as hens teeth. I also have a 1/2 lb of Turkey Craw beans that I may try to plant to save seed from.

I quit growing corn because either the deer, coons, crows, or wind would ruin it. It is cheaper and less stress on me to buy some corn to put in the freezer.
View Quote

You have a nice garden going on there my friend!

How long is it for you, until you can start getting produce off of your plants, for the bell peppers?

Around here, I can put those things in the ground around mid April, and not get anything until 3 or 4 weeks before the first frost.

Might be around October, before they start to get.....ripe.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:52:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There are varieties that will grow down your way.  The soil has to be acidic or they will grow poorly.  A mix of 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 pine bark mulch and 1/3 garden soil.  Mix in some garden sulfur which is slowly oxidized to sulfuric acid to keep the soil acidic.  They like moist soil but not wet.  I have 3 huge bushes and 20 smaller ones.  

I've got my garlic, walking onions, radishes and kale planted.  The first two went in last fall.  Check out the Homested, Farm & Garden sub-forum.  Lots of great reading.  Here is my garlic thread.

11-08-2014

http://i.imgur.com/QDJPYvg.jpg

04-05-2015

The straw is on the garlic bed to protect it in the winter.  The garlic is up but I haven't posted pictures of that yet.  102 cloves of hardneck garlic.

http://i.imgur.com/wlWZxtZ.jpg

The rest of the garden is slowly being planted.  I also have an asparagus bed so those should be coming up soon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my garden is a Whiteshield tree (fruitless, thornless Bodark / Boi D'Arc / hedge apple / horse apple / maclura pomifera) that I am growing to let its trunk thicken before chopping into a bonsai, two grapevines and two blueberry bushes (though I do not recall the variety of those).

Blueberries...........

Never tried them.

Water requirements?

11-08-2014

http://i.imgur.com/QDJPYvg.jpg

04-05-2015

http://i.imgur.com/wlWZxtZ.jpg

Nice photos` C-4!

Thanks for your comments!

Hope everything goes well for you this year!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I tried to do some red white and blue tulips but the fuckin rabbits ate the bulbs and a few that sprouted.
View Quote

Pellet rifle.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:05:12 AM EDT
[#20]
No space for a garden as I'm in an apartment.  I did however try my hand at a Ghost pepper plant this year.  Plant is doing good and getting pretty decently sized, should have some peppers in a few months.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:06:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine got wiped out last year from disease.  I can't tell one black spot from another when trying to diagnose my problem online.  But I did notice that my maple trees had black spots all over their leaves last year.  Could this be related?

Either way, I'm taking steps to mitigate disease this year.  If it doesn't work I think I'm done with tomatoes for a few years.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:13:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No space for a garden as I'm in an apartment.  I did however try my hand at a Ghost pepper plant this year.  Plant is doing good and getting pretty decently sized, should have some peppers in a few months.
View Quote

Container then?

What size is it planted in? Soil?

Nothing like homegrown produce!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:20:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I started a gardening thread in January.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1708158_2015_Gardening_Thread_.html

And you're right OP it is addicting.  Especially when you start looking at fruit trees and other perennials.  I view gardening the same way I see investing... The sooner you start, the better off you'll be.  I try not to think about the orchard I could have right now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:22:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My raised beds are back in business. I didn't put in as many plants and the bean and other seeds I tried to grow were too old. I was afraid of that.

But I'm back to composting again, that's always fun. I hope to control the pests better this year since I don't have the plants all crowdedd.

I will at least have peppers, tomatoes,  and eggplant.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Hows the bamboo problem going?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:25:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How long is it for you, until you can start getting produce off of your plants, for the bell peppers?

Around here, I can put those things in the ground around mid April, and not get anything until 3 or 4 weeks before the first frost.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Currently have planted:
15 - okra plants

Next weeks plantings:
Space master cucumbers
Sweet potatoes

In my other garden, my peppers would start producing in mid to late June and continue on until frost. I have very good luck with peppers and usually end up with pepper trees that have to be staked to stand up. Year before last, I was picking right at a bushel of various peppers each week (15 plants)We had so many damn peppers I could not give them away after a certain point.

If yours are not producing until that late you may need to fertilize them. I usually water them with Miracle Grow once a week for the first month. I think in this compost stuff I have them in now I will not need any fertilize. I planted tomatoes Saturday before last and they are already blooming and I have 1 baby tomato.

What area of TN are you located? I am in extreme SW VA near TN/KY border. Our growing season should be pretty close to the same.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:36:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Yep. Last year was my first, this year should be easier. I'm expanding, adding more raised beds, more plants... preparing for more canning, etc.

Hoping to add more berry bushes, more fruit trees, I'd like to try potatoes and onions as well.

I've been looking forward to it all winter.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:50:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In my other garden, my peppers would start producing in mid to late June and continue on until frost. I have very good luck with peppers and usually end up with pepper trees that have to be staked to stand up. Year before last, I was picking right at a bushel of various peppers each week (15 plants)We had so many damn peppers I could not give them away after a certain point.

If yours are not producing until that late you may need to fertilize them. I usually water them with Miracle Grow once a week for the first month. I think in this compost stuff I have them in now I will not need any fertilize. I planted tomatoes Saturday before last and they are already blooming and I have 1 baby tomato.

What area of TN are you located? I am in extreme SW VA near TN/KY border. Our growing season should be pretty close to the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Currently have planted:
15 - okra plants

Next weeks plantings:
Space master cucumbers
Sweet potatoes

East TN. I would say we are probably pretty close in drive time maybe.

My tomato plants every year, grow to about 14 feet in length in the soil that they are in.

I know that sounds crazy but it is true.

Maybe the soil PH isn`t right, for the Bell peppers to grow in. I don`t know.

I do know that once they start taking off, the branches do break off occasionally from all of the produce that the plant is making.

It just seems like that it takes forever, for the pepper plants to start making anything.

I haven`t grown them in about 3 or 4 years, just because of that. Everything else, seems to do OK in that garden spot.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:52:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yep. Last year was my first, this year should be easier. I'm expanding, adding more raised beds, more plants... preparing for more canning, etc.

Hoping to add more berry bushes, more fruit trees, I'd like to try potatoes and onions as well.

I've been looking forward to it all winter.
View Quote

I get all giddy near Spring.

Keep thinking about what I can put in the dirt to grow!

It is the little things.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:59:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Folks,

I have had a very pleasant evening speaking with many on this subject tonight.

I hope that everyone and their family, has a great week!

Take care and be safe out there!

All of the best to you and yours!

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Place holder for my pics
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

This year I am trying the pallet gardening method. <snip>
View Quote

Be advised...I've tried pallets in the past and the termites were very happy I did.

Never again...

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I have been doing a small one for the last couple of years just to get my kids involved and show them how to grow their food. I was raised on big farm and want to do my best to show them that not all fruit, vegetable, and meat have to be purchased.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You hit the nail on the head.

I have never done strawberries but I do like them.

Can you share some information as to how to grow them and their preferences to growing conditions?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Onions in and coming up good.Potatos in but not coming up yet.

I have pepper and tomato plants in the house doing great,but waiting another week or so before transplanting them outside (still had some cold nights).Rhubarb and asparagus coming up good,and the strawberry plants all look good as well.Lots of blossoms on the apple trees.

Nothing like homegrown.......

Can you share some information as to how to grow them and their preferences to growing conditions?

They are easy to grow-keep them weeded and watered.They put runners out,so you can let them expand on their own.

I have a bunch of strawberry sized stones I painted red and put in around the plants-keeps the birds from eating them.

Anything is worth trying.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
How has the composting worked out for you?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My raised beds are back in business. I didn't put in as many plants and the bean and other seeds I tried to grow were too old. I was afraid of that.

But I'm back to composting again, that's always fun. I hope to control the pests better this year since I don't have the plants all crowdedd.

I will at least have peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant.

It's worked out great! For some reason I get enjoyment just out of composting. I don't have to get dirt anymore.

I don't do the fast method where you put stuff in a barrel, I basically make a pile of leaves and stuff, then put kitchen scraps in it. I also put glacial rock dust and other mineral stuff in it. I kind of stir it a little, it's too much trouble to turn it. It gets full of worms and stuff. My chickens love it when I bust it up.

This is how I do it.

You can't let it get too deep or it won't get air. It also needs to be kept moist.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They are easy to grow-keep them weeded and watered.They put runners out,so you can let them expand on their own.

I have a bunch of strawberry sized stones I painted red and put in around the plants-keeps the birds from eating them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Onions in and coming up good.Potatos in but not coming up yet.

I have pepper and tomato plants in the house doing great,but waiting another week or so before transplanting them outside (still had some cold nights).Rhubarb and asparagus coming up good,and the strawberry plants all look good as well.Lots of blossoms on the apple trees.

Nothing like homegrown.......

LOL!

I can see the birds trying to peck them wondering "what the heck"?

Creativity my friend! You went tier 1 operator with that idea!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's worked out great! For some reason I get enjoyment just out of composting. I don't have to get dirt anymore.

I don't do the fast method where you put stuff in a barrel, I basically make a pile of leaves and stuff, then put kitchen scraps in it. I also put glacial rock dust and other mineral stuff in it. I kind of stir it a little, it's too much trouble to turn it. It gets full of worms and stuff. My chickens love it when I bust it up.

This is how I do it.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7468/15608253910_5fa0fe3013.jpg

You can't let it get too deep or it won't get air. It also needs to be kept moist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will at least have peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant.

This is how I do it.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7468/15608253910_5fa0fe3013.jpg

You have a very large pile of compost going!

I want to try composting but haven`t done it yet.

I do occasionally dump leaves and yard waste into my garden plots.

Have added peat moss, 800 LBs` of Black Kow cow manure, saw dust, and other additives since then. Occasionally,  I only add high nitrogen content fertilizer to the corn. Seems to help.

The owner of this property before me, had 2 dogs in a kennel where my garden now resides. Wood chips got turned under before I started the garden.

The first year, the Silver Queen corn grew to almost 11 or 12 feet in height.

That was some seriously fertile soil.

A UT agricultural fellow I spoke with awhile back, told me that he used compost to some soil that he was having problems with getting anything to grow in. Once the compost was added, the garden really "took off".
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I've got two 3 x 3 potato boxes right now.  I'm rebuilding a 4 x 4 planter box for kale.  Also have six seeds of Apache corn that have sprouted.  Hope to grow some squash this year.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#38]
My tomato plants are 5 feet tall and 3 feet in diameter, loaded with green tomaters already,

I've harvested one batch of radishes, next one is growing already.  Been eating lettuce right off the plant for weeks now.  Cukes are doing well, as are bell and hot peppers.  Corn is well over knee high.  Just planted some onions and they are sprouting right now.  Strawberries and Watermelon are in and growing as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've got two 3 x 3 potato boxes right now.  I'm rebuilding a 4 x 4 planter box for kale.  Also have six seeds of Apache corn that have sprouted.  Hope to grow some squash this year.
View Quote

On the `tater boxes,

what soil depth did you make them? What did you use for soil in them? Had good luck in the past with that technique?

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My tomato plants are 5 feet tall and 3 feet in diameter, loaded with green tomaters already,

I've harvested one batch of radishes, next one is growing already.  Been eating lettuce right off the plant for weeks now.  Cukes are doing well, as are bell and hot peppers.  Corn is well over knee high.  Just planted some onions and they are sprouting right now.  Strawberries and Watermelon are in and growing as well.
View Quote

My `mater plants are about 1 foot if that. You have "come off the line" faster than I have this year.

I have some radish seeds here but didn`t put any in the ground this spring. I like them. Trying to figure out a way to grow a few, before it gets too hot.

Will the onions grow in warmer weather?

I have thought about trying them.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes, I am already picking squash.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I never get that here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
23 tomato plants, Cherokee purple, pear, Tycoon, Roma. About a dozen mixed peppers, squash, carrots, cucumbers, cilantro, corn, a peanut plant, a pumpkin plant, plus more. Onions are doing awesome in a 4x4 raised box.

I never get that here.

Too much clay. I need to put some expanded shale in it next year.

I ended up buying a bunch of 60 year old farm implements. Ran a cultivator across it then let it sit a month. Then got a 36" single row setup. I didn't have a lot of room to maneuver because it's between a fence and a ditch, so I probably made a dozen passes trying to get it straight.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You are going to be swimming in `maters in a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
25 tomato plants.
6 to 10 chili pepper plants
3 varieties of cukes
tobacco seeds didn't work this year
blue lake green beans

Right now there are about 300 garlic and 250 onions getting ready to get pulled

During the summer I will eat 1 to 2 pound of tomatoes per day.  I will also be canning a lot this year.  And I give a lot away.  I had 29 last year and 35 the year before that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Im in my 20th or so years of Square Foot Gardening. A skill everyone should know. Mine is 16 x 10 and I get through a whole year with little effort.

Sure I would love the time for a bigger garden, but for now, this gets me all I need.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I ended up buying a bunch of 60 year old farm implements. Ran a cultivator across it then let it sit a month. Then got a 36" single row setup. I didn't have a lot of room to maneuver because it's between a fence and a ditch, so I probably made a dozen passes trying to get it straight.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/dtolerant/image_4.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never get that here.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/dtolerant/image_4.jpg

I had to add sand and gypsum to my soil to help things. I like your set-up! I NEED one of those!

It would sure speed things up for me. The `tiller can be a little "abusive" on my back at times, and does take awhile to get my soil to how I want it......... providing that  I haven`t had a week or 2 of rain before using the "implement of my backs` destruction.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

During the summer I will eat 1 to 2 pound of tomatoes per day.  I will also be canning a lot this year.  And I give a lot away.  I had 29 last year and 35 the year before that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
25 tomato plants.
6 to 10 chili pepper plants
3 varieties of cukes
tobacco seeds didn't work this year
blue lake green beans

Right now there are about 300 garlic and 250 onions getting ready to get pulled

OK, `mater freak.

I am looking in the phone book for people that can help you.

Couldn`t find any, so........tell you what. Just send your extra `maters, to me!

Just kidding with you and I hope that you won`t take my comments in a bad way.

What brand of tomatoes are your favorite?

Mr. Stripey was a fad for awhile. I tried them. They weren`t bad. Haven`t done them in a few years. Better Boy works well for the soil that I have here.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Im in my 20th or so years of Square Foot Gardening. A skill everyone should know. Mine is 16 x 10 and I get through a whole year with little effort.

Sure I would love the time for a bigger garden, but for now, this gets me all I need.
View Quote

I am sure also that it is a handful when things start coming in. My main plot is a little bigger, but when everything starts going like gangbusters, it is a lot to keep up with.

The weeds seem to keep me busier pulling them, than anything else.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Putting in tomatoes, green beans, sweet peas, squash, zucchini, onions, peppers and corn.  Corn is the hardest since all the local deer like to fatten up on it.  This year I plan to fatten up on them in return.  

Funny you mention them... I was reading this post and stopped mid way to go check my garden and let the beagle run a bit. She took off like a bolt and chased 2 out of the yard

I may have to upgrade my pellet rifle game this year! So far they seem to be leaving the raised bed alone, though I don't know if it is because they haven't figured out what's up there yet or if the mint plants are just easier to get to

No Mr. Stripeys OP? My wife is from East TN and says they are a staple there. We planted some.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#49]
We did a raised bed garden last year, I just got done weeding it to make room. Last year she went a bit hog wild on all sorts of weird assed hippy varieties of lettuce and tomatoes, we won't make that mistake this year. Strictly going to be corn, potatos, and cherry tomatoes. the corn will go in a plot at the Community garden.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I am sure also that it is a handful when things start coming in. My main plot is a little bigger, but when everything starts going like gangbusters, it is a lot to keep up with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have totally missed the concept and approach on the Square Foot method.

Check it out. We do about 10 minutes of maintenance a week, usually with a drink in my other hand.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top