BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:26:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Exactly how is a "few trips to the range" going to teach him what's a good home defense gun?  You learn nothing about that from shooting at paper.

So, how's that Judge working out for you?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Judge isn't that bad at close range is it? Let the guy feel proud of his gun. He'll figure out what works better after a few trips to the range. Aint no man be takin' kindly to being told he is wrong.

Exactly how is a "few trips to the range" going to teach him what's a good home defense gun?  You learn nothing about that from shooting at paper.

So, how's that Judge working out for you?

So practice and proficiency in loading, aiming and hitting targets is completely worthless for HD?

My range has targets with programs specifically for engaging at different distances and shoot no shoot. Are those a waste of time too?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:29:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Read your post and try again.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your?
.....I know......fixt.  
Read your post and try again.  
I'm a bad person....

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:51:26 AM EDT
[#3]
99% of the people I know who use guns for a living don't really know shit about guns.  They know what they are issued, and that is about it.  Of course, most of the gun-nuts I come across don't know shit, either.  I don't kill people for a living, so I'm not claiming I'm a gun-guru, either.  However, it is always funny to hear "experts" talking out of their asses, especially when they take a myopic stance that refuses to acknowledge ergonomics, and differences in abilities of others.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:10:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Gun nut == knows nothing about guns?

That makes no sense. Gun nuts know everything about guns.
View Quote

Far more, in fact than a most SEALS/Rangers, who just use the tools they're issued.  Some may develop a preference for one over another, but it's just among the set of available weapons.

Your average "gun nut" can choose from a wider variety and frets of the most seemingly insignificant performance data.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:19:36 AM EDT
[#5]
My dad almost bought one of those. He called me to ask what I knew about them-he's a lifelong hunter and plinker, but not much of a "gun guy." I asked him if he used a .410 to hunt dove-which I know he doesn't (he's got a fantastic Ithaca 12 gauge that I'll someday inherit), and then asked if he'd use one with a 2 inch barrel to try and kill a mule deer from 10 feet away. He pointed out that it shot .45LC as well, but I reminded him that it was sized to fit the .410 shells. Discussion ended and dad learned a money saving lesson.

The proud Judge advocate is usually a pretty good indicator of someone who also believes that birdshot is best for home defense, a shotgun being racked is the equivalent to a nuke, and the best first defense gun for a girl is an airweight .357 revolver.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:19:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
People ask me for gun advice because I'm a "gun nut."

I don't tell them shit because my CCW piece is a 10mm full dust cover 1911 and my HD piece is a 300 blk subsonic supressed SBR.

If they ask me about a CCW revolver I'd say something along the lines of a 4-6" 357 DW or SW with modern, high powered loads.

If they ask about a shotgun, I just go
View Quote

AGNTSA.
ETA: I've never in my life heard anyone suggest a 6" revolver for ccw. As far as the shotgun goes, it is a cheap time tested home defense weapon.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:33:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I once heard an 18B tell someone to buy a shotgun because "racking the slide will scare off intruders."

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:35:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I once heard an 18B tell someone to buy a shotgun because "racking the slide will scare off intruders."

View Quote

EVERYONE says that

My dad even swears by it and tells everyone that's why he uses a Mossberg for HD.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:36:18 AM EDT
[#9]
You'd think that an SF guy would know about terrain than that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:34:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Old painless did a test and 45lc penetrated beyond the fbi recommended depth as i recall.

Plus if you run out of rounds, you can chunk that heavy bastard at their head and probably kill them. I had one in highschool as a snake gun when checking cattle. Weighed 75 to 80 pounds.

Nice gun for the most part. I could hit crushed pop cans in the air with it. Probably 50 percent of them.
View Quote

Assuming the tier 1 operator in question doesn't fuck up and buy cowboy ammunition. Buddy of mine fell for the hype, bought a judge and made this mistake. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't penetrate 1/4" particle board.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would never suggest using a shotgun as some kind of noisemaking intruder deterrent. It still is a viable option with the correct loads for home defense especially if the person is on a budget.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:00:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Good for snakes and such is my usual retort when someone brings up the Judge....Plus it's a fucking Taurus so they also get the "friends don't let friends" line.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

EVERYONE says that

My dad even swears by it and tells everyone that's why he uses a Mossberg for HD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EVERYONE says that

I use an ithica m37 factory trench gun for home defence.  The nice thing is the action is so smooth I can chamber a round quieter than racking the slide on my glock........ But there is always 1 chambered. And my shotgun slam fires so there is that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#15]
There was an old guy who would come into my local shop about twice a month during the summer to buy 410 shells. They finally asked him why he bought so many. Guy was walking in the national forest almost every day and killing 2-3 copperheads and rattlers a week with a judge.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:26:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There was an old guy who would come into my local shop about twice a month during the summer to buy 410 shells. They finally asked him why he bought so many. Guy was walking in the national forest almost every day and killing 2-3 copperheads and rattlers a week with a judge.
View Quote

See....Good for snakes and such but he could do the same thing with a old High Standard .22 revolver with snake shot and at two pounds less on his hip to boot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Your co worker is going to get mouth fucked by a home invader.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:05:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Your co worker is going to get mouth fucked by a home invader.
View Quote

This can play out really good, or really bad depending on which end of the shaft you are on.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I ceased giving a fuck about those people years ago.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I use my Judge for backup when hunting.  But mine shoots 454 so I don't think its the one the lady got.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Sometimes it is best just to let idiots be idiots.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

He went out and got a very nice colt 1911 and a 870.

View Quote
Thank goodness you kept him from buying something stupid.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top