Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/26/2015 10:35:52 PM EDT
Guys,

Chilly & rainy here in Billings, MT today, but I rented a car and saw the battlefield end to end.

Impressive.

I'm not PC by any means, but the subject (and everything to do with the site) is handled very honestly and fairly.

No "wild Injuns" or "white devil" stuff anywhere. Not sure what I thought I'd see, but it was impressive.

For those who've never been there, there are white headstones marking the spot where each (often nameless) 7th Cavalry soldier fell. Several have names...officers and NCOs.

What I found to be pleasantly surprising was there were red headstones marking spots where well known Native American warriors fell. Those headstones were marked with their name (in English and their native language) and an interesting phrase. Something like, "....fell here while defending the Cheyenne way of life"

It was all very interesting and informative.

In recent years, several excellent documentaries have been made on the subject. These documentaries, using Native accounts of the battle, have shed new light on where the last fighting actually took place.

Semi-cool story, bros.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I need to get up to see that one of these days.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#2]

It really is impressive in that you can walk the battlefield and get a feel for the lay of the land and how the battle progressed.

It was really surprising to me how Reno and Benteen managed to hole up in the little divot on the hill.

They must have been absolutely terrified.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I drove by it last year, my buddy that lives in Billings offered to see it, but said.....see that hill right there?  It looks just like that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I love historical sites. Any pics?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
What are you in Billings for?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love historical sites. Any pics?
View Quote

Yeah, not great ones.

I'll see if I can post some in a day or so.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It really is impressive in that you can walk the battlefield and get a feel for the lay of the land and how the battle progressed.

It was really surprising to me how Reno and Benteen managed to hole up in the little divot on the hill.

They must have been absolutely terrified.

View Quote

Yeah, they have pictures posted along the roadway....each depicting the events that took place at that spot. They also have a phone guided tour. You call this number, enter your spot number, and they fill you in on the details.

Very cool
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Been there several times. Were the Rangers doing guided walks?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What are you in Billings for?
View Quote

Here on business.

Leaving tomorrow before dawn.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I drove by it last year, my buddy that lives in Billings offered to see it, but said.....see that hill right there?  It looks just like that.
View Quote

True.

But it's still cool
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Been there several times. Were the Rangers doing guided walks?
View Quote

Very cool!

I saw the signs for it, but didn't see anyone.

Cold & rainy Sunday afternoon. Might not be prime Ranger time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Very cool
I want to go there again now that I'm older and have a better understanding of what happened.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Always been interested in that and would love to go there. . . read a very thorough account, actually several accounts, in a massive book on the subject years ago.. . . went into the Indian scouts, interviews with some of the Sioux who fought against Custer interviewed years later, the story of Benteen and his relationship with Custer, etc. . .

What struck me while reading that book was that in just 100 years, we went from fighting Indians on horseback---and getting beaten!---- to atomic weapons, machine guns, jet fighters, helicopters, . . .Jeez --the Viet-Nam war was OVER by 1976!  That really struck me. . . I mean, ALOT happened in that 100 years!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Very cool
I want to go there again now that I'm older and have a better understanding of what happened.
View Quote

The phone tour thing is great. It adds a new dimension.

Various people read first person accounts of the different stages of the battle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Phone tour narrated by Morgan Freeman, or Donald Sutherland?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#17]
So did you go to Pompeys Pillar?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#18]
One day ill get to visit Big Sky Country and I will visit that place.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I want to know how they knew exactly where to put the headstones to each soldier that died, are they buried where they died?

You don't think the natives having red stones isn't a little non-pc?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#20]
It's been around 20 years since I visited but what I remember was pretty impressive.  Our boy scout backpacking trip to the Bighorn Mountains got cut short so we spent the rest of the time visiting historical battlefields and landmarks.  Definitely a memorable trip.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:41:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I want to know how they knew exactly where to put the headstones to each soldier that died, are they buried where they died?

View Quote

They're made of granite.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Within 48 hours, the US Cavalry controlled the site. The massive Native American encampment had moved on.

Everyone was buried where they fell. Temporary markers of some kind were erected and permanent markers placed there sometime in the future. Within two years, the officers were disinterred and reburied "back east" wherever their widows or next of kin requested.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So did you go to Pompeys Pillar?
View Quote

No, but that looks cool!

Thanks.

Maybe my next time through.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

No!

But the stories were great.

One told of a US Scout named Bloody Knife who, because of his hatred for the Lakota people, helped the US Cavalry.

I saw his headstone close to the roadside.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Been there back in 04. Knew the battle by memory before I got there, so I could really live it walking by the markers..

Walking down the coulee, I could almost hear the injuns shouting,

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:04:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No!

One told of a US Scout named Bloody Knife who, because of his hatred for the Lakota people, helped the US Cavalry.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No!

He was the one shot in the face down the river with Reno...  Reno got his brains all over him, which sent him in total panic mode, with lots of mount and dismount contradicts orders..
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Ps : another cool battlefield to see is the 'Fetterman massacre' battlefield
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I went there a couple of years ago............very interesting place, and the museum has a nice collection of weapons from the period
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Twice I have planned a trip out that way and both times we could not go.  I need to get the family out that way.  

Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Within 48 hours, the US Cavalry controlled the site. The massive Native American encampment had moved on.

Everyone was buried where they fell. Temporary markers of some kind were erected and permanent markers placed there sometime in the future. Within two years, the officers were disinterred and reburied "back east" wherever their widows or next of kin requested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Custer was supposed to be part of a pronged advance, cooperating with other columns.  However, Custer was a bold and demanding commander, with a reputation for gaining success through aggressive tactics.  He was especially inclined to push hard on a hot trail in this case, because he'd just castigated Reno for failing to strike this same camp while on an independent command.  At that time, most of the commanders came to prominence in the Civil War and were fighting for the few promotions available, had lots of personal history with each other, and were inclined to political maneuvering.  Finally, the Indians had never gathered into this kind of encampment before, and this encampment had an unusual percentage of young men of fighting age - they were off the reservations to be with Sitting Bull, so Custer figured he could take the encampment by capturing the warrior's wives in a swift attack, which he had done successfully before.  For all these reasons, Custer attacked instead of waiting.  When the reinforcements arrived, the Indians had just barely given up on massacring Benteen and Reno's companies, which they came very close to doing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

But the white ones don't bother you?  Maybe you should ponder why that is.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ps : another cool battlefield to see is the 'Fetterman massacre' battlefield
View Quote

I have been there too.  Fetterman once boasted that with 80 troopers he could ride through the whole Sioux Nation.  Left the fort one day with 80 troopers, disobeyed orders and rode out further that he was supposed to, and the rest is history.  The site of the Wagon Box Fight is also near the site of the Fetterman Massacre.  All part of the Fort Phil Kearney Historic Site.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Totally one of the real few things that I care to see and on my bucket list. one day...
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Saw it in the fall of '89.

Pretty neat.

Be careful of rattlesnakes, though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Might have my history mixed up but weren't the Sioux and Crow enemies?  That whole area is the Crow Reservation. Don't seem right but I may be wrong.........
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Amazing history. I'd love to go. Custer's Last Stand books are a dime a dozen, but this is one of the best.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Stand-Custer-Sitting-Bighorn/dp/0143119605/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1430138488&sr=8-4&keywords=nathaniel+philbrick

At that time, if you were on the plains needing help you may as well been on the moon.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#37]
I went there a few years ago.

The tour was guided by natives who were students at the local community college and who also lived right there. It took me a few minutes to wrap my head around the fact that when they said, "We" were over there and "We" did this and that; that they were talking about the force opposing the US Army. It was also very cool that when they were talking about the battle and pointing out where certain events took place, they would add stuff like: that house right there is where my parents live.

I had read a little bit about the battle before going there and had watched that very good documentary of the archaeological study that had been done there following a brush fire that exposed the ground.

Very good, I like stuff like this.

When I went there, there was a big brush fire going on and it detracted from the experience because it was hard to see very far because of the smoke.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get THIS video. It is well worth it.
I guess that is on VHS   Don't know if it is available elsewhere on DVD or streaming.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#39]
I was there 15-20 years ago. I'd love to go back.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Might have my history mixed up but weren't the Sioux and Crow enemies?  That whole area is the Crow Reservation. Don't seem right but I may be wrong.........
View Quote

It is my understanding that at the time the Lakota and Cheyenne people were stronger nations than the crows and they drove them away west.

After they 'surrendered' to the whites, they were brought back in reservations on north or south Dakota and that the crows reservation was set in their original territories.

The irony is that the Lakota blaming the taking of 'their' lands, pushed lots of people away from their lands themselves, such as the Pawnees, Crows, etc
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#41]
I got to go with my dad back in 2000. It is an amazing place to visit. It was a cold windy day when we went, it was eerie; not in a spooky way but just kind of desolate feeling. I would love to go back when I could take the horseback tour, if they are still doing it.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Totally one of the real few things that I care to see and on my bucket list. one day...
View Quote

I've lived and travelled all over the west and this is one place I've never been.

Going to try and rectify that this summer.

Fetterman Site is also on the list.......thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#43]
I visited there a few years back on the way to a hunting trip. It really gives you perspective on how things went down.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I need to get up to see that one of these days.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Needs pics.  Pics with scantily clad S/O holding plate of bacon and gourmet microbrew beer.

Seriously though, seriously CSB.  I want to go now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#46]
My wife and I stopped there while we were on a motorcycle tour about 15 years ago.  It was a weekday and we were the only ones out there.  Dead silent except for the wind.  Very eerie to stand there and imagine the men who had bled and died on the same spot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Some pic from one of my trips there a few years ago.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Took the family on a vacation back in '92 that included The Little Bighorn battlefield. I had read up on it quite a bit beforehand.
It is one thing to read about the lay of the land and where events took place and quite another to actually stand on those spots and see the vast distances involved.

There had been a fire sometime before we arrived. I remember the signs saying "Stay on the walkways, you are in rattlesnake country."
The Mrs freaked out a bit seeing all the snake trails on the blackened ground. I assured her that it was probably just one snake making all those trails and not hundreds of them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Guys,

Chilly & rainy here in Billings, MT today, but I rented a car and saw the battlefield end to end.

Impressive.

I'm not PC by any means, but the subject (and everything to do with the site) is handled very honestly and fairly.

No "wild Injuns" or "white devil" stuff anywhere. Not sure what I thought I'd see, but it was impressive.

For those who've never been there, there are white headstones marking the spot where each (often nameless) 7th Cavalry soldier fell. Several have names...officers and NCOs.

What I found to be pleasantly surprising was there were red headstones marking spots where well known Native American warriors fell. Those headstones were marked with their name (in English and their native language) and an interesting phrase. Something like, "....fell here while defending the Cheyenne way of life"

It was all very interesting and informative.

In recent years, several excellent documentaries have been made on the subject. These documentaries, using Native accounts of the battle, have shed new light on where the last fighting actually took place.

Semi-cool story, bros.
View Quote

I'll tell you this, son, you can mark my words, Crazy Horse went into Little Bighorn, bought his people one good, long-term ass-fucking. You do not want to be a dirt-worshipping heathen from this fucking point forward. Pardon my French.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#50]
I went there two years ago in August. What I remember most was the horrible heat, and the poverty of the surrounding area.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top