Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2015 8:39:00 PM EDT
Considering purchase of new ride and have been looking at Colorado Z71 vs Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. I am interested in opinions on both , as well as waiting on new Taco and Frontier. Thanks !
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]
With what little price difference there is between the Colorado and a full sized truck I just can't see buying one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Wll the trailhawk has the tow hooks painted red for a reason.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Garage space is issue , can't fit Silverado.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Cherokee Latitude and I really like it. I've had good luck with mine but be warned there are ongoing issues with the 9 speed transmission. You can read about the problems on this forum. http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-2015-jeep-cherokee-general-discussion/

eta. The 9 speed transmission is also used in the Chrysler 200, Range Rover Evoke and a Lexis crossover. From what I gather they are all having problems. The transmission is made by a German company.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Gm is built better
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want reliability and resale value, go with the Taco.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a TRUCK, not some faggy Italian car.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
What do you need more, a SUV or a pickup?  To me that's comparing apples to oranges.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Green and Campy stated it well. The Cherokee is basically an AWD station wagon. It's based on the Dodge Dart chassis, which is based on a Fiat car.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Those new colorado's are closer to the size of a 90's 1/2 ton than a current 1/2 ton is.

The only drawback is the short bed. If you plan to haul stuff back there it can be annoying, but since your asking about a cherokee i figure you don't plan to. I'd go with the new colorado(actually i'd go with the Canyon, it looks better imo)
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those new colorado's are closer to the size of a 90's 1/2 ton than a current 1/2 ton is.

The only drawback is the short bed. If you plan to haul stuff back there it can be annoying, but since your asking about a cherokee i figure you don't plan to. I'd go with the new colorado(actually i'd go with the Canyon, it looks better imo)
View Quote

I agree, i prefer GMC over Chevy.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife has the trailhawk and loves it, but hers is called a CRV
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for info, looking for individual owner input. Looking at size vs gas mileage vs owner response. I my family has had many Jeeps in the past as we as trucks. I have had SUVs and trucks prior to this. Really looking to get Colorado , Cherokee and Taco  response. I appreciate the input so far , it has been helpful. Just looking for faults I haven't noticed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Garage space is issue , can't fit Silverado.
View Quote

This will help you decide

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f428/
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Really looking to get Colorado , Cherokee and Taco  

View Quote

Out of these three, I would get the Colorado. I might wait a few months and get a 16 model or a killer deal on a 15.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Cherokar has no frame and 0 solid axles. Chevy has a frame and 1 solid axle. 2/3, Colorado wins
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#17]
It's good to know the problem areas before you buy.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Taco or Wrangler in that price range
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I take it that reliability is not a priority for you?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Considering purchase of new ride and have been looking at Colorado Z71 vs Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. I am interested in opinions on both , as well as waiting on new Taco and Frontier. Thanks !
View Quote

colorado duramax
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#22]
As much as I hate GM, Chrysler is worse.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Bought a Canyon in December. Great truck, no problems, averaging over 18 mpg around town. Almost 25 mpg on a trip to Georgia.
That said not everyone has had the same experience. Take some time and read the forum. Which ever you choose congrats.
Canyon, Colorado site
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
With what little price difference there is between the Colorado and a full sized truck I just can't see buying one.
View Quote

The price difference is only small between a fully loaded colorado and a near base model full size.

The truck I bought last week (traded my F-150)

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah...I happened to notice an ad in the newspaper from the local Chevy dealer for lease programs.  The Colorado cost more to lease than a similarly equipped Silverado...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let me re-phrase that so you understand where some other people are coming from:

"With that little price difference between the smaller, more maneuverable truck and a truck that is too damn big for what I want to use it for, I just can't see buying the full size"

Not everyone needs to tow a boat or carry full size panels of plywood in the bed.

As for the OP... do you need or want a pickup truck or an SUV?   Apples and oranges.

Edited to add:  most people don't have the skills to take a vehicle where a Trailhawk won't go, excepting serious rock crawling or deep mud/water.   If the vehicle load and towing capacity meets your requirements and you're OK with Jeep build quality, then there is not a damn thing wrong with it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#27]
The reflash updates for the Trailhawks 9 speed have improved its shifting and functionality a lot, but its nearly impossible to get it into 9th gear.  They have been reliable and very affordable maintenance.

Fuel economy on the Trailhawk is insanely bad.  Probably one of the worst you will ever see.  Motor Trends Trailhawk is averaging 14.9mpg.  For a comparison, they averaged 17 out of the Grand Cherokee and 17.7 out of the V6 Tacoma.    Hell, they managed 17.9 out of a Hemi Challenger with 3.91 gears.  So basically, the Trailhawk is a gas hog and Chrysler recommends 89 octane as the owners manual states when running 87 "there may be some low grade/low speed pinging."
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd wait on the diesel Colorado, personally.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The reflash updates for the Trailhawks 9 speed have improved its shifting and functionality a lot, but its nearly impossible to get it into 9th gear.  They have been reliable and very affordable maintenance.

Fuel economy on the Trailhawk is insanely bad.  Probably one of the worst you will ever see.  Motor Trends Trailhawk is averaging 14.9mpg.  For a comparison, they averaged 17 out of the Grand Cherokee and 17.7 out of the V6 Tacoma.    Hell, they managed 17.9 out of a Hemi Challenger with 3.91 gears.  So basically, the Trailhawk is a gas hog and Chrysler recommends 89 octane as the owners manual states when running 87 "there may be some low grade/low speed pinging."
View Quote

My Latitude has the V6 with active drive ll and I'm getting 24-27mpg on summer blends. The engineers never intended 9th to be a regularly used gear from my reading. The only time I've seen 9th was on slight down grades at 80mph. I have not been into 9th since they did the latest software upgrade earlier this month.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My Latitude has the V6 with active drive ll and I'm getting 24-27mpg on summer blends. The engineers never intended 9th to be a regularly used gear from my reading. The only time I've seen 9th was on slight down grades at 80mph. I have not been into 9th since they did the latest software upgrade earlier this month.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely very good, thats 3-6mpg more than the 21mpg city/highway average for that vehicle.  Driving styles and different mix of city vs highway driving will make a difference for individuals - some will be higher and some will be lower naturally.  My wife averages about 2 mpg higher when she drives, but she drives slow at the speed limit and leaves lights gently.  No 80mph cruising for her.   As a side note, the Trailhawk also has a small lift and wider all terrain tires vs highway tires so that hurts its fuel economy a bit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Definitely very good, thats 3-6mpg more than the 21mpg city/highway average for that vehicle.  Driving styles and different mix of city vs highway driving will make a difference for individuals - some will be higher and some will be lower naturally.  My wife averages about 2 mpg higher when she drives, but she drives slow at the speed limit and leaves lights gently.  No 80mph cruising for her.   As a side note, the Trailhawk also has a small lift and wider all terrain tires vs highway tires so that hurts its fuel economy a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC the Trailhawk has a 1" lift which will reduce mileage compared to the other Cherokees. I wore out the crappy highway tires just over 15k miles. I put some Yokohama all terrains on the vehicle. I haven't noticed much of a difference in mpg. I drive the mountains of Nevada and I'm suprised that the mileage is this good. It  beats the hell out of the FJ Cruiser it replaced. I don't do much city driving. The mpg computer in my Cherokee is about 1mpg higher than manual calculations.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've got a Cherokee Latitude and I really like it. I've had good luck with mine but be warned there are ongoing issues with the 9 speed transmission. You can read about the problems on this forum. http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-2015-jeep-cherokee-general-discussion/

eta. The 9 speed transmission is also used in the Chrysler 200, Range Rover Evoke and a Lexis crossover. From what I gather they are all having problems. The transmission is made by a German company.
View Quote

I rented a new Cherokee twice and loved it. It wasn't a trailhawk which would be the edition I'd buy if any.  It's a vehicle I considered until reading about the transmission issues.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#33]
i have test driven the trailhawk in both the 4 cyl and the 6 cyl engine

the 4 seems to be working hard

the same motor is in the Renegade and it is really buzzing in there

I took the two hawks out over the same road course

a mixture of winding turns and a highway run

IMHO the 6 is the proper engine for a vehicle that size

but I am not a fan of the autostop engine system
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#34]
If you want a Jeep, the only remaining product they sell that is worth a fuck is the Wrangler.

If you are set between the truck and the Cherokee, get the truck.  There's no reason to get into Jeep "issues" unless you are getting Jeep "benefits" (which only exist in the wrangler platform in new cars sold by Jeep, the rest are fagged-out pieces of shit).
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even though I love the looks of the Canyon....
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy cats... My gas guzzler V8 Dakota gets 14mpg...!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The price difference is only small between a fully loaded colorado and a near base model full size.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/lakecountyrice/Mobile%20Uploads/64FA5F81-9D76-43B2-8886-3E440669316B_zpsqdjzp1yx.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/lakecountyrice/Mobile%20Uploads/64FA5F81-9D76-43B2-8886-3E440669316B_zpsqdjzp1yx.jpg
The first one on the lot here looked just like this one.

Full sized Z-71 sitting next to it was $4800 more...not hardly a base truck.

To each their own..
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#38]
real users are reporting highway mpg with the V6 at 30

Car and Driver can make a prius get 13 mpg
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I would say get the Mini Raptor,

No wait, that's right, Ford is fully of faggotry, and won't sell it here.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
real users are reporting highway mpg with the V6 at 30

Car and Driver can make a prius get 13 mpg
View Quote

30mpg average on a vehicle rated 25 highway?   That's a pretty impressive feat.  The fuelly average for the trailhawk is 19mpg with 329 fillups.  I am sure any mag can get bad fuel economy, but a long term test with a vehicle over a year shows pretty real world results.  Funny how they get pretty close to the  mpg ratings of other vehicles they have for a year but not this one.  Maybe it will go way up during the last updates.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Was ready to sign on the dotted line for a Trailhawk till the salesman said " you'll love the stop start system". Wait, what?

They have it on most European cars he said. They generally have poor hygiene in Europe, that doesn't make it good I said.

It is a stupid and dangerous system and I nixed the deal right there. He said you could turn it off but we spent 40 minutes scrolling through in car menus and could never figure out how to turn it off.

Anyone figure how to defeat or turn it off?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Was ready to sign on the dotted line for a Trailhawk till the salesman said " you'll love the stop start system". Wait, what?

They have it on most European cars he said. They generally have poor hygiene in Europe, that doesn't make it good I said.

It is a stupid and dangerous system and I nixed the deal right there. He said you could turn it off but we spent 40 minutes scrolling through in car menus and could never figure out how to turn it off.

Anyone figure how to defeat or turn it off?
View Quote

No way to turn off the ESS permently on the Cherokee.  A dealer might be able to with a StarScan but as a lowly vehicle owner, you cannot permanently disengage it. You can press the ESS button and it will turn off until the next restart, but it always defaults to on.  The button looks like an A with a circle around it.   It also disables the ESS if the wheel is turned more than 90* at a stop, but thats only because it recognizes you may be doing a 3 point turn.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Driving style and tires does make a difference on mpg.  When I pull the tent trailer with the Tahoe on freeways and highways watching speeds, I get the same as Ma Danby gets with her in town driving and I get with my Trailblazer in Town.  Normal highway wtih the Tahoe me driving around 17, with original OEM tires, 22-23 with speeds around 70-75 and headwinds.  My erratic opinion is driving style and tires makes more difference than vehicle size  when they are pretty close.  If you really need a big pick-up you need a big pickup, if not then the smaller ones can make sense.  My big pickup was a 350  and I always got 4-5 mpg than my neighbor with a 454, except when towing.  I got about the same with the tent trailer and his big truck and big trailer. well he got 7-8.

I'm looking at the Colorado/Canyon now, I don't need a big p/u for around town crap, but I sure would like one like my Dads old small Toyota.  Base model 4 cylinder, 4 speed.  but those days are gone forever. So a small one with an extended cab fits my bill.  Something I can put some 4x8s in the back overhanging the tailgate.  If I need to haul a half ton of building material I'll get it delivered for $30 or rent a u-haul trailer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I love my '15 Colorado

Good mileage if you can set the cruise to 65 on a nice flat interstate (no ac, no load or trailer, tires inflated as recommended) Ok mileage with a heavy foot in city traffic.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top