Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/26/2015 7:51:14 PM EDT
Some type of bar & chain lube, Slip 2000, Mobil 1 synthetic, vegetable oil, Dollar Tree oil, Frog Lube, or something else.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I've always used Stihl B&C oil.  Have run straight 30 weight in very cold temps as the Stihl is very viscous even in high temperatures.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah, chainsaw oil?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ah, chainsaw oil?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
For bar oil or for the gas?

For the gas mix I use whatever synthetic is on sale at Rural King. And use whatever bar oil is on sale there too.

I have Stihl saws and cut a lot of wood and never had any issues.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For the gas mix I use whatever synthetic is on sale at Rural King. And use whatever bar oil is on sale there too.

I have Stihl saws and cut a lot of wood and never had any issues.
View Quote

Mainly referring to the bar oil. Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
i'm not going to tell you what i use.

cause i'm a nice person and i don't want to argue.

you all know what i use don't you?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Frog lube?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Bacon grease?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Bulk plant sells it in 5 gallon buckets, don't know what type it is, just bar oil.

I'll cut it with Stihl winter mix when it's cold
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Stihl

Orange in summer just tried the blue this winter.  Probably a gimmick, but they had it on special.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Used motor oil...it doesn't get much cheaper.

Turn that oiler screw up and let her fly.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Stihl

Orange in summer just tried the blue this winter.  Probably a gimmick, but they had it on special.
View Quote

FWIW, I honestly could never tell the difference.  We tried the blue for awhile and said "meh, fuck it", and went back to orange.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I use whatever they have at Wally World, the farm store or auto parts store.

Never gave it much thought, it's bar oil.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Wal-Mart brand 30 W bar and chain oil.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

FWIW, I honestly could never tell the difference.  We tried the blue for awhile and said "meh, fuck it", and went back to orange.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stihl

Silver all year.  I don't cut under 35* anyway.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Poulan at Walmart it's much cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Whatever generic bar and chain oil the store has. Sometime I'll buy stihl  brand.

When I was in Newfoundland, most of the saws riding around on ATVs used vegetable oil, since they would use them on moose. That was impressive seeing a moose quartered with a chain saw in minutes.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Whatever the house brand is from Tractor Supply. In winter I might add a splash of 5-30 motor oil to thin it a touch.
Handy tip: wash a used dish detergent bottle thoroughly and use that to fill your saw. I keep all my stuff in a milk crate:
- two fuel bottles, 1L each, full of mix (Primus or MSR or other that's fuel-rated)
- one detergent bottle of bar oil
- flat file
- round file with gage
- two wedges
- extra safety glasses
- extra gloves
- extra chain
- scrench
- chaps and saw helmet on top

Grab the saw and the crate and I know I've got everything I need for a morning of cutting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I used 10W-30 or 20W-30, can't remember but it leaked out of the seals on the saw.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Poulan at Walmart it's much cheaper.
View Quote

Pretty sure that is what I have
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Whatever the house brand is from Tractor Supply
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Whatever is on sale. Normally I stock up at TSC.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#28]
BELIEVE IN THE KING!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Bottle of new car oil 10/40 usually and add a dollop of lucas oil stabilizer to make it tacky. Been doing it a long time.

Used to run used motor oil. Never gave any issues.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#30]
For you guys running used crankcase oils, the solids in suspension will shorten the life of the oil pump. Well documented. Along with the fact that some of the compounds found in used oil are carcinogenic.

Want cheap bar oil? Go to Sam's club and buy the cheapest Canola oil they sell. It makes an excellent lube. The drawback is that it will turn gummy if not used regularly. Just run normal bar oil through the saw before storage.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I use Echo oil in the gas because I like the measuring thing built into the bottle. For bar oil I use Husqvarna oil because I get it cheap.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#33]
The tears of Hippies lubes my chain saw.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Stihl brand for mixed gas.

Husky brand winter blend bar oil in winter.

A mix of any bar oil or used engine oil in summer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For you guys running used crankcase oils, the solids in suspension will shorten the life of the oil pump. Well documented. Along with the fact that some of the compounds found in used oil are carcinogenic.

Want cheap bar oil? Go to Sam's club and buy the cheapest Canola oil they sell. It makes an excellent lube. The drawback is that it will turn gummy if not used regularly. Just run normal bar oil through the saw before storage.
View Quote

My dad has run it in all his XP saws he bought way back in the 90's and still does. Used hydraulic fluid from the tractor too.

I don't think he's changed many pumps, probably saved more than enough to cover the cost of a new one.

As far as being bad for you, I won't argue about that, but I don't run them professionally so it is likely no more exposure than I get from regular oil changes anyway.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

and we're off.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Whatever generic bar and chain oil the store has. Sometime I'll buy stihl  brand.

When I was in Newfoundland, most of the saws riding around on ATVs used vegetable oil, since they would use them on moose. That was impressive seeing a moose quartered with a chain saw in minutes.
View Quote

Speaking of veg oil, the Germans on the Easten front used sunflower seed oil on the sguad mg's when they could get it: said it wouldn't freeze.

I got this from some post war Army Manual, written by ex-Nazis.

Edit: TZ250 points are valid.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#39]
10w-40 Rotella because I always have it around
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My dad has run it in all his XP saws he bought way back in the 90's and still does. Used hydraulic fluid from the tractor too.

I don't think he's changed many pumps, probably saved more than enough to cover the cost of a new one.

As far as being bad for you, I won't argue about that, but I don't run them professionally so it is likely no more exposure than I get from regular oil changes anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  My chainsaw is so old I HOPE it breaks down due to supposed problems with using used motor oil for the bar oil so I can buy a new one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I use  stihl branded bar oil.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I use the Earl of Crankcase. He is the cousin of King Baroil.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Stihl ultra synthetic and Polan bar oil
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Frog lube?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Frog lube?
astroglide?

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Some type of bar & chain lube, Slip 2000, Mobil 1 synthetic, vegetable oil, Dollar Tree oil, Frog Lube, or something else.
View Quote
I use used synthetic motor oil

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This.  My chainsaw is so old I HOPE it breaks down due to supposed problems with using used motor oil for the bar oil so I can buy a new one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't care what anyone runs in saws they own. This is info passed on by people that maintain saws for a living. I just rebuilt an MS460 for a coworker who also runs a pro logging operation. He had used waste motor oil for some time and the pump seals and supply hose were shot. The output side crank seal had also failed.

I see no need to pour cheap shit in my $1200 chainsaw. To each is own. As you were.

ETA: For all of the naysayers: A little info about the safety of handling used oil.

toxicity of used motor oil.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#47]
one hole is, B-A-R   Bar oil,  other hole is 10-30
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

For the gas mix I use whatever synthetic is on sale at Rural King Yamalube 2R. And use whatever bar oil is on sale there too at Lowes.

I have Stihl a Poulan saws and cut a lot of wood and never had any issues.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Husky brand bar oil I pick up at the husky place. I'm lazy so I let them sharpen my 5 chains once or twice a season and pick up husky bar oil and 2 stroke oil while I'm there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#50]
whatever is cheap in the summer and Husqvarna low temp in the winter.  Seems to work on my two Husqys.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top