BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damn, all kinds of ways to die climbing and decending that mountain and those folks got rocked by a freaking earthquake. I wonder if it changed the routes at all. That would be a major oh shit factor if you were at at any of the advanced camps.

I have always wanted to go to base camp and actually see the mountain. No need to climb it for me as I doubt I could make it to the top and I won't spend that kind of scratch.
View Quote

They have full expeditions that take you up to the base camp and then back down. I think it takes a full week just to get to base camp. Its so high most people still have a hard time just getting up there. Would be fun to do with some training before hand.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Damn, all kinds of ways to die climbing and decending that mountain and those folks got rocked by a freaking earthquake. I wonder if it changed the routes at all. That would be a major oh shit factor if you were at at any of the advanced camps.

I have always wanted to go to base camp and actually see the mountain. No need to climb it for me as I doubt I could make it to the top and I won't spend that kind of scratch.
View Quote

Changed routes?  

The icefall is flattened and numerous (hundreds?) climbers are trapped above it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine is in Kathmandu right now. She was scheduled to go up to the base camp the day the earthquake hit.

She got evacuated out to the US consulate for the moment, doubtful she will get back when planned. From what she's said, thousands dead. A lot of foreigners.  Spotty power, spotty internet, etc. Consulate was under generator back up last time she posted.  They're trying to get all Americans to the main embassy but transportation is basically gone.  Everything in bound is medical supplies, everything out bound is dead and wounded.

Basically say good bye to Nepal's tourism for a while. Everest climbs will probably be suspended for a long while.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All those people that died were probably well off financially or rich. You gotta dump a TON of money to make a Everest climb.
View Quote

The rich aren't even human.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Focking, FOCK!!!

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#6]
A gif from Everest Base Camp taken as the avalanche hit.

Absolutely terrifying.

The video the gif was taken from:

I've been following this pretty closely, as that's a goal of ours.  The mountaineering community is pretty shook up by this.  Current death toll on the mountain puts this as the worst day in Everest climbing history, even worse than last year's accident.

Here a blog with firsthand accounts of the state of the mountain at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They have full expeditions that take you up to the base camp and then back down. I think it takes a full week just to get to base camp. Its so high most people still have a hard time just getting up there. Would be fun to do with some training before hand.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trip takes about 3 weeks.

A week to travel. A few days in kathmandu to settle in, 5 days up, 5 days down. Settle back in, then travel.

A full summit could take upwards of 2-3 months depending on everything.

The lady I know is 28, runs marathons like their nothing. Complete fitness freak. To quote her, the people doing the summits are super human.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The fatalities and help for the injured are the appropriate thing to focus on at the moment but it will be interesting to see long term how much effect this event has had on the climbing routs and physical make up of the mountain.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Changed routes?  

The icefall is flattened and numerous (hundreds?) climbers are trapped above it.
View Quote

So are they doomed?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So are they doomed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Changed routes?  

So are they doomed?

Apparently a helo was able to land at Camp 1, but there are ~300 people on the mountain somewhere above Camp 1.

Problem is that Base Camp is pretty much wiped out
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gravity is a harsh mistress
View Quote

so are the elements.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Apparently a helo was able to land at Camp 1, but there are ~300 people on the mountain somewhere above Camp 1.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Changed routes?  

So are they doomed?

According to my friend, a lot of hikers going to the base camp are going up with spare gear and supplies to donate it to those coming down. Her last update was that, as next Friday is the earliest the embassy can get them out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There might be some calls go out to the firms that will extract you from anywhere on earth $$

You do have a point, with thousands buried in the cities, priorities and all that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Changed routes?  

So are they doomed?

There might be some calls go out to the firms that will extract you from anywhere on earth $$

You do have a point, with thousands buried in the cities, priorities and all that.

The problem is that most helos can't physically get that high - or at least it's very, very, very dangerous. (Note: I'm not a helicopter pilot -- just an interested guy who read about it while researching an Everest summit trip.)

The first summit on Everest ever in a helo was only in 2005
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

According to my friend, a lot of hikers going to the base camp are going up with spare gear and supplies to donate it to those coming down. Her last update was that, as next Friday is the earliest the embassy can get them out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Changed routes?  

So are they doomed?

That's what I'm hearing right now as well.

My wife and I are considering seeing if we can get an expedited passport (we don't have any right now) and head over to offer relief.  I'll carry as many supplies and shit as I can to help out if we can work it out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did you know Hillary Clinton was named in honor of Sir Edmund Hillary?  Six years before he summited Everest, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read at Nat Geo article that said there are dozens of bodies up on the mountain. Edmund Hillary's body is still up there and recognizable. Some of the hiking party have directions that say "turn right at the body in the purple parka" why the fuck someone would want to risk their life like that?

No, it's not.

Are you sure? Maybe it was someone in his group.

Off to google.

I got my names mixed up. It was George Malloy, not Hillary. Edmund Hillary died on '07 in New Zealand.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/dead-everest1.htm
Did you know Hillary Clinton was named in honor of Sir Edmund Hillary?  Six years before he summited Everest, too.

My eldest daughter is named for Sir Edmund Hillary, but then she was born in 83..........so it is Kosher, unlike HRC's story............
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:39:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'll go up Everest when they install an escalator.

View Quote

And a zip line.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:41:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So are they doomed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Changed routes?  

So are they doomed?

That is very much dependent upon the weather.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Kinda puzzles me how these dipshits stood around while "hey man, the ground is shaking..", laughing.

I would think, being the pro explorers that they are, their heads would have been on a swivel doing avalanche watch.

Nope. ha ha ha...ground is shaking....ha ha...

Dumbasses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Everest Climbers Are Killed as Nepal Quake Sets Off Avalanche

NEW DELHI — A year after a deadly avalanche on Mount Everest ended the climbing season, multiple avalanches caused by the earthquake on Saturday rumbled down a treacherous icefall and slammed into the mountaineering base camp, killing at least 17 climbers and injuring at least 37 others, Nepalese officials said.

Alex Gavan, a hiker at the base camp, described on Twitter a "huge earthquake then huge avalanche” that sent him "running for life from my tent.” Mr. Gavan warned that many of the wounded would die if they were not evacuated soon. Nima Namgyal Sherpa, a guide at the base camp, said the avalanche caused many injuries. Nepalese tourism officials feared hundreds of climbers may have died.

"Many camps have been destroyed by the shake and wind from the avalanche,” Mr. Sherpa, the base camp manager for Asian Trekking, wrote in a post on Facebook. "All the doctors here are doing our best to treat and save lives.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/world/asia/everest-climbers-killed-as-nepal-quake-sets-off-avalanche.html?_r=0

http://youtu.be/0CaT0VIJ468
Kinda puzzles me how these dipshits stood around while "hey man, the ground is shaking..", laughing.

I would think, being the pro explorers that they are, their heads would have been on a swivel doing avalanche watch.

Dumbasses.

A lot of people on Everest are a bunch of wealthy dilettantes who know fuck all about climbing. If you have enough cash to throw at people, almost anyone with months of time on their hands, enough luck for decent conditions and who is in decent shape can do it by hiring a bunch of porters to carry all their shit including a bunch of bottled oxygen for them to suck on. There are people who showed up to do it that did not know how to put on crampons.

If you were to go to say, Nanga Parbat or K2.. The people there are a different breed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
And a zip line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll go up Everest when they install an escalator.

And a zip line.

A ski lift with pressurized gondolas to take you to the top would be nice.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Was "Green Boots" on the mountain in 1996 when shit went to hell or was he there earlier?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:55:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Dumbasses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NEW DELHI — A year after a deadly avalanche on Mount Everest ended the climbing season, multiple avalanches caused by the earthquake on Saturday rumbled down a treacherous icefall and slammed into the mountaineering base camp, killing at least 17 climbers and injuring at least 37 others, Nepalese officials said.

Alex Gavan, a hiker at the base camp, described on Twitter a "huge earthquake then huge avalanche” that sent him "running for life from my tent.” Mr. Gavan warned that many of the wounded would die if they were not evacuated soon. Nima Namgyal Sherpa, a guide at the base camp, said the avalanche caused many injuries. Nepalese tourism officials feared hundreds of climbers may have died.

"Many camps have been destroyed by the shake and wind from the avalanche,” Mr. Sherpa, the base camp manager for Asian Trekking, wrote in a post on Facebook. "All the doctors here are doing our best to treat and save lives.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/world/asia/everest-climbers-killed-as-nepal-quake-sets-off-avalanche.html?_r=0

Dumbasses.

Pro explorers is probably a bit of a stretch. They pay a lot of money to be dragged up the mountain. The sherpas are the real pros.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Was "Green Boots" on the mountain in 1996 when shit went to hell or was he there earlier?
View Quote

His body is unidentified but the current school of thought is that he's Tsewang Paljor, who died in the '96 season.  Him and his group also died on the mountain in '96, but not because of the '96 disaster.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

His body is unidentified but the current school of thought is that he's Tsewang Paljor, who died in the '96 season.  Him and his group also died on the mountain in '96, but not because of the '96 disaster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm.  That name sounds familiar.  Wonder if he was a guide for the Taiwanese or South African team that tried to summit after 5/10/96.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hmm.  That name sounds familiar.  Wonder if he was a guide for the Taiwanese or South African team that tried to summit after 5/10/96.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was a member of a 3-person Indian expedition heading up the Northeast Ridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Mount_Everest_disaster#Indo-Tibetan_Border_Police

I was wrong - they're considered part of the '96 disaster.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Mount_Everest_disaster#Indo-Tibetan_Border_Police

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indian.  That's it.  I knew I recognized the name from the book.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:38:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I read at Nat Geo article that said there are dozens of bodies up on the mountain. George Mallory's body is still up there and recognizable. Some of the hiking party have directions that say "turn right at the body in the purple parka" why the fuck someone would want to risk their life like that?

Edit: I got my names mixed up.
View Quote

Some people aren't content reading the articles in Nat Geo.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nothing like climbing the deadliest mountain in the world and then having to deal with a 7.8 earthquake.
View Quote

K2's the deadliest, not Everest.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like an exciting adventure. Spend weeks trying to acclimate in a camp that's pretty much a landfill with frozen turds everywhere.

Then elbow your way to the top, through the crowd, using dead bodies for landmarks, all while slowly suffocating to death.

No thanks.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A lot of people on Everest are a bunch of wealthy dilettantes who know fuck all about climbing. If you have enough cash to throw at people, almost anyone with months of time on their hands, enough luck for decent conditions and who is in decent shape can do it by hiring a bunch of porters to carry all their shit including a bunch of bottled oxygen for them to suck on. There are people who showed up to do it that did not know how to put on crampons.  

If you were to go to say, Nanga Parbat or K2.. The people there are a different breed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumbasses.

That's a mischaracterization of Everest, even the standard South Col route.

To put Everest into perspective, there are guides who have done 6 of the 7 Summits, but would not do an Everest expedition based on objective risks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've read Annapurna is the most difficult to climb and is the deadliest.

http://www.aboutnepaltreks.com/files/groups/annapurna-expedition.jpg

Annapurna and Nanga Parbat are the deadliest of the 8000m peaks. The fatality rates on both mountains dwarf Everest's. K2 is #4. K2 is a bitch to climb. Everest you can walk up.

http://www.mountainsoftravelphotos.com/Annapurna/Annapurna%20Sanctuary%201%20from%20Chomrong/slides/106%20Machupuchare%20Close%20Up%20From%20Modi%20Khola%20Valley.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2300 + summits on everest.  Like 300 something for k2.  K2 summit to death ratio is like 25%

Real climbers do k2

Tourists climb everest.

I'll watch the documentary about it on netflix,  no way I'm going up there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I've read Annapurna is the most difficult to climb and is the deadliest.

http://www.aboutnepaltreks.com/files/groups/annapurna-expedition.jpg

Annapurna and Nanga Parbat are the deadliest of the 8000m peaks. The fatality rates on both mountains dwarf Everest's. K2 is #4. K2 is a bitch to climb. Everest you can walk up.

http://www.mountainsoftravelphotos.com/Annapurna/Annapurna%20Sanctuary%201%20from%20Chomrong/slides/106%20Machupuchare%20Close%20Up%20From%20Modi%20Khola%20Valley.jpg

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Basically the guys up there with no way down are basically fucked.... unless if by some miracle they find another safe path down.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Basically the guys up there with no way down are basically fucked.... unless if by some miracle they find another safe path down.
View Quote

Lots of stuff shifted and fell in the Khumbu icefall.  I'm sure many of the fixed lines and ladders crossing crevasses have been wiped out, so a new route back through the Khumbu will need to be re-established.  They've been in the process of stocking Camps 1, 2 and 3 for a few weeks, and most of the teams should have sufficient provisions for things to settle out.

Depending on where they were in base camp will dictate what they come back to.  The upper parts of the camp received a lot of rockfall.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lots of stuff shifted and fell in the Khumbu icefall.  I'm sure many of the fixed lines and ladders crossing crevasses have been wiped out, so a new route back through the Khumbu will need to be re-established.  They've been in the process of stocking Camps 1, 2 and 3 for a few weeks, and most of the teams should have sufficient provisions for things to settle out.

Depending on where they were in base camp will dictate what they come back to.  The upper parts of the camp received a lot of rockfall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMG's blog said that the icefall is not safe right now, and that almost all of the ladders and fixed lines were wiped out.

http://www.mountainguides.com/everest-south15.shtml

...before the clouds came in this afternoon and shut down the helicopter operations for the day, we had a reconnaissance of the Khumbu Icefall route from the air. Bottom line is that the route is badly broken up, many ladders are lost, and ropes buried. IMG guide Justin Merle and several guides from other teams descended from Camp 1 to observe the upper route and they confirm this.

As for the guys above BC:
The weather is OK this morning, and we have several of the high performance AS350 B3e helicopters making laps between BC and Camp 1. The Camp 2 climbers are descending to Camp 1. We are hoping that we can get everyone flown down today.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing like climbing the deadliest mountain in the world and then having to deal with a 7.8 earthquake.

No
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Hard to tell the chicks of the guys.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I've been reading about this for the past 24 hours or so.  Terribly sad.

Wife and I were planning a Nepal trip later this year.  That might be postponed now due to this.  My thoughts and prayers are with the Nepalese and the climbers right now.
View Quote

Wait a few years for the rebuild, then go.  Will be safest time since the big one happened and won't be due again for a while.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#42]
If a lot of ladders are wiped out on the Khumbu, it will be a monumental task to get everyone back down.  At 20kft, even the Sherpas and guides are going to be hard pressed to cross those crevasses by lowering/swinging/climbing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#43]
I know how Arfcom likes good deals, so ...

I am happy to announce that I have found a guide service that's charging 30% less than other operations.  30% off!  I'll see if I can cut and paste the promo code for those who are interested.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
FUCK THAT!!!

The total fatality rate over the past 56 years is nine percent, but as of 2004 that percentage had dropped to about 4.4 percent [source:
wisegeek.com].
View Quote

i think the percentage just jumped back up after that .......but yeah, that shits not for tourists, its for real, and will kill you in a second.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have a friend that left the middle of last month for a basecamp trek. He is supposed to be back the end of this month so he may have been there or he may have just started the trek out.

No one knows and no one has heard from him.
View Quote

Your friend wasn't from Minnesota was he? One of my co-workers is over there and had been to basecamp the day before. He was in Kathmandu when the quake hit. He's fine and was on the news the other night talking about how he's helping cook food for people. Supposed to be back next week.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Changed routes?  

So are they doomed?

Right now those in camp 1 & 2 are probably doing two things. 1st they are avoiding base camp until triage is complete and a significant number of wounded are evacuated. Adding more bodies to the site will help nothing and add strain to limited resources. Second is sending the most experienced climbers to establish safe routes between camps. Negotiating ice fall is not a job for clients. It is very dangerous and nerve wrecking work. All of the clients on the mountain were going to be traveling established safe routes. Those no longer exist. Interesting that they are using the helps for camp 1 & 2 . There must not be that great of a demand for them with BC injured?

I have not climbed Everest but I used to work search and rescue on Shasta.

Nature is beautiful and a bitch at the same time. She doesn't give a shit about you when she decides to make a change....
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have a friend that left the middle of last month for a basecamp trek. He is supposed to be back the end of this month so he may have been there or he may have just started the trek out.

No one knows and no one has heard from him.
View Quote

Google Person Finder 2015 Nepal Earthquake

Hopefully this helps.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Changed routes?  

So are they doomed?

Oh no!  I didn't know that so many were trapped up there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#50]
they could always eat each other to stay "alive"

Great movie by the way.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top