Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thought they had installed a metal ladder at that point?

Edit. Hasn't  anybody noticed those ropes are mega frayed on the edge of that rock
View Quote

That's why they put a new one up
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
All those people that died were probably well off financially or rich. You gotta dump a TON of money to make a Everest climb.
View Quote

Or dirt poor guides.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Person I work with and am in France with right now has a brother in law who was up there during the quake. His hotel and the belongings he left there before he went up were lost, he is okay, he is a doctor and is back down helping those in trouble.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The traffic jam pic just sucks out all of the spirit of climbing Everest.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Its getting worse every years since its been so commercialized. And just imagine if you can't make it down all these people will simply walk right by you.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
That was freaking freaky
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Kinda puzzles me how these dipshits stood around while "hey man, the ground is shaking..", laughing.

I would think, being the pro explorers that they are, their heads would have been on a swivel doing avalanche watch.

Nope. ha ha ha...ground is shaking....ha ha...

Dumbasses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everest Climbers Are Killed as Nepal Quake Sets Off Avalanche

NEW DELHI — A year after a deadly avalanche on Mount Everest ended the climbing season, multiple avalanches caused by the earthquake on Saturday rumbled down a treacherous icefall and slammed into the mountaineering base camp, killing at least 17 climbers and injuring at least 37 others, Nepalese officials said.

Alex Gavan, a hiker at the base camp, described on Twitter a "huge earthquake then huge avalanche” that sent him "running for life from my tent.” Mr. Gavan warned that many of the wounded would die if they were not evacuated soon. Nima Namgyal Sherpa, a guide at the base camp, said the avalanche caused many injuries. Nepalese tourism officials feared hundreds of climbers may have died.

"Many camps have been destroyed by the shake and wind from the avalanche,” Mr. Sherpa, the base camp manager for Asian Trekking, wrote in a post on Facebook. "All the doctors here are doing our best to treat and save lives.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/world/asia/everest-climbers-killed-as-nepal-quake-sets-off-avalanche.html?_r=0

http://youtu.be/0CaT0VIJ468
Kinda puzzles me how these dipshits stood around while "hey man, the ground is shaking..", laughing.

I would think, being the pro explorers that they are, their heads would have been on a swivel doing avalanche watch.

Dumbasses.

Well obviously they should have hired you as their guide. Seriously.... What a Shitty thing to say. Removed...krp
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I read at Nat Geo article that said there are dozens of bodies up on the mountain. George Mallory's body is still up there and recognizable. Some of the hiking party have directions that say "turn right at the body in the purple parka" why the fuck someone would want to risk their life like that?

View Quote
I never understood the appeal of mountain climbing.  It just seems like needless suffering, and when you get to the top it's like "Great, the suffering is 50% over!"

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Every documentary I've seen about Everest complains about the Chinese climbers for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]
eh...nevermind

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hope your friend is ok.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a friend that left the middle of last month for a basecamp trek. He is supposed to be back the end of this month so he may have been there or he may have just started the trek out.

No one knows and no one has heard from him.

Hope your friend is ok.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#12]
2300 + summits on everest.  Like 300 something for k2.  K2 summit to death ratio is like 25%

Real climbers do k2

Tourists climb everest.

I'll watch the documentary about it on netflix,  no way I'm going up there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You're thinking of George Mallory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you sure? Maybe it was someone in his group.

Off to google.

They found his body, they removed a clothing tag that said his name. The body is still up there face down on the rocks in an area no one hikes. They noticed his leg was broken from the fall he took, so Edmund could not make it back down. The body isn't really recognizable I'm sure you can find the video on YouTube.

You're thinking of George Mallory.
LOL  - Yep Its Mallory not Hillary. Friend of mine helped find him

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
they say fuck alot
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Few things being out the on arf like a good mountaineering thread, or a thread about someone who was killed on a mountain.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Every documentary I've seen about Everest complains about the Chinese climbers for some reason.
View Quote

Not that it is any comparison, but when I was in Peru the guides said that the Asians can't hack the climbing/hiking like Europeans and even fat Americans. They said it takes Asians close to an extra week to do what most would accomplish in 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
2300 + summits on everest.  Like 300 something for k2.  K2 summit to death ratio is like 25%

Real climbers do k2

Tourists climb everest.

View Quote

Everest, by any route, is a major accomplishment.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Real climbers do k2

Tourists climb everest.

View Quote

I've read Annapurna is the most difficult to climb and is the deadliest.

http://www.mountainsoftravelphotos.com/Annapurna/Annapurna%20Sanctuary%201%20from%20Chomrong/slides/106%20Machupuchare%20Close%20Up%20From%20Modi%20Khola%20Valley.jpg

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Dumbasses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NEW DELHI — A year after a deadly avalanche on Mount Everest ended the climbing season, multiple avalanches caused by the earthquake on Saturday rumbled down a treacherous icefall and slammed into the mountaineering base camp, killing at least 17 climbers and injuring at least 37 others, Nepalese officials said.

Alex Gavan, a hiker at the base camp, described on Twitter a "huge earthquake then huge avalanche” that sent him "running for life from my tent.” Mr. Gavan warned that many of the wounded would die if they were not evacuated soon. Nima Namgyal Sherpa, a guide at the base camp, said the avalanche caused many injuries. Nepalese tourism officials feared hundreds of climbers may have died.

"Many camps have been destroyed by the shake and wind from the avalanche,” Mr. Sherpa, the base camp manager for Asian Trekking, wrote in a post on Facebook. "All the doctors here are doing our best to treat and save lives.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/world/asia/everest-climbers-killed-as-nepal-quake-sets-off-avalanche.html?_r=0

Dumbasses.

Yeah they should have just ran off of the mountain.

What do you think you are going to do when you see a wall of ice moving at you at a few hundrerd miles per hour on your 'avalanche watch'
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That looks like a clusterfuck.
View All Quotes

The idea of standing in single-file line 5 miles in the air where your body is inexorably running out of oxygen gives me the willies as bad as the avalanche and worse than the terrain
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Real climbers do k2

Tourists climb everest.

View Quote

I watched that documentary on K2. Its awesome. I had no idea how much harder K2 is. I'm assuming its basically the hardest mountain in the world to climb. Its in a whole different league from everest.

No doubt you have to be fit to summit everest and its probably the challenge of a lifetime for even very experienced climbers but it seems K2 an order of magnitude more challenging. The very best in the world will often have many failed attempts if they ever make it and many will die.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Some of the hiking party have directions that say "turn right at the body in the purple parka"
View Quote

Green boots cave . . .

Guy has been a landmark since 1996

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been reading about this for the past 24 hours or so.  Terribly sad.

Wife and I were planning a Nepal trip later this year.  That might be postponed now due to this.  My thoughts and prayers are with the Nepalese and the climbers right now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
All those people that died were probably well off financially or rich. You gotta dump a TON of money to make a Everest climb.
View Quote

And?  Someone who works hard, saves their money, has a dream and pursues it is NOW the bad guy?  What the hell is wrong with you and your ilk?

ETA: Sorry if I'm reading too much in to your statement.  The class warfare thing is getting a bit abrasive lately.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Green boots cave . . .

http://i.imgur.com/NUoVTBj.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of the hiking party have directions that say "turn right at the body in the purple parka"

Green boots cave . . .

http://i.imgur.com/NUoVTBj.jpg
So dated, someone should update his wardrobe

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#27]
There was one tough son of a bitch that climbed Everest I think without any oxygen and was able to climb back down with no problem then his wife got stuck up there and he went back up looking for her. He couldn't find her and started to come back down and I think got caught in a storm and wound up dying. I forget all the details but that dude had some strength when it came to climbing mountains he pretty much climbed them all and died looking for his wife. Very sad story.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I watched that documentary on K2. Its awesome. I had no idea how much harder K2 is. I'm assuming its basically the hardest mountain in the world to climb. Its in a whole different league from everest.

No doubt you have to be fit to summit everest and its probably the challenge of a lifetime for even very experienced climbers but it seems K2 an order of magnitude more challenging. The very best in the world will often have many failed attempts if they ever make it and many will die.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real climbers do k2

Tourists climb everest.

Whats that documentary called?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Did you know Hillary Clinton was named in honor of Sir Edmund Hillary?  Six years before he summited Everest, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read at Nat Geo article that said there are dozens of bodies up on the mountain. Edmund Hillary's body is still up there and recognizable. Some of the hiking party have directions that say "turn right at the body in the purple parka" why the fuck someone would want to risk their life like that?

No, it's not.

Are you sure? Maybe it was someone in his group.

Off to google.

I got my names mixed up. It was George Malloy, not Hillary. Edmund Hillary died on '07 in New Zealand.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/dead-everest1.htm
Did you know Hillary Clinton was named in honor of Sir Edmund Hillary?  Six years before he summited Everest, too.

Yes, she was.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I read at Nat Geo article that said there are dozens of bodies up on the mountain. George Mallory's body is still up there and recognizable. Some of the hiking party have directions that say "turn right at the body in the purple parka" why the fuck someone would want to risk their life like that?

Edit: I got my names mixed up.
View Quote

Why the fuck would you want to live a long boring life?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I never understood the appeal of mountain climbing.  It just seems like needless suffering, and when you get to the top it's like "Great, the suffering is 50% over!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

right, and you're exhausted.

It's a very isolated, desolate, lonely and in a way, hellish, place to risk your life.

I don't get it either.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
FUCK THAT!!!

The total fatality rate over the past 56 years is nine percent, but as of 2004 that percentage had dropped to about 4.4 percent [source:
wisegeek.com].
View Quote

Check out the stats for Annapurna I
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Life can be plenty exciting at sea level.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#34]

I'll go up Everest when they install an escalator.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FUCK THAT!!!

The total fatality rate over the past 56 years is nine percent, but as of 2004 that percentage had dropped to about 4.4 percent [source: wisegeek.com].

Only 191 successful accents to the top with 61 climbing fatalities. Fatality to summit ratio is 32%.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FUCK THAT!!!

The total fatality rate over the past 56 years is nine percent, but as of 2004 that percentage had dropped to about 4.4 percent [source:
wisegeek.com].

Holy crap !

"Only 191 people had successfully ascended Annapurna as of 2012, fewer than any other eight-thousanders. With a fatality rate of 32 percent, no other eight-thousander is deadlier."

Annapurna I

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well obviously they should have hired you as their guide. Seriously.... What a Shitty thing to say. You're a fucking douche.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumbasses.

Well obviously they should have hired you as their guide. Seriously.... What a Shitty thing to say. You're a fucking douche.

I kind of thought something similar. I've been in some sketchy situations including an earthquake and everything changes at the snap of a finger.

The guy didn't have a lot of options
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What do you think you are going to do when you see a wall of ice moving at you at a few hundrerd miles per hour on your 'avalanche watch'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumbasses.

Pretty sure I would have skipped the part about laughing about how the ground is shaking and went directly to the oh fuck oh fuck part in the tent
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, racing the Isle of Man TT at 200+ mph would be pretty cool.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Holy crap !

"Only 191 people had successfully ascended Annapurna as of 2012, fewer than any other eight-thousanders. With a fatality rate of 32 percent, no other eight-thousander is deadlier."

Annapurna I

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FUCK THAT!!!

wisegeek.com].

Holy crap !

Annapurna I

See!  No waiting in line like Everest!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I was going to spend 6 figures to flirt with death, I'd do the TT and watch a documentary on Everest while sipping a pint at the pub
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FUCK THAT!!!

The total fatality rate over the past 56 years is nine percent, but as of 2004 that percentage had dropped to about 4.4 percent [source: wisegeek.com].

Holy crap !

Annapurna I

The ratio is for every 3 that make it up and down 1 dies.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real climbers do k2

Tourists climb everest.

I've read Annapurna is the most difficult to climb and is the deadliest.

http://www.aboutnepaltreks.com/files/groups/annapurna-expedition.jpg

http://www.mountainsoftravelphotos.com/Annapurna/Annapurna%20Sanctuary%201%20from%20Chomrong/slides/106%20Machupuchare%20Close%20Up%20From%20Modi%20Khola%20Valley.jpg

This.  191 summits.  32% death to summit ratio.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Depending on how hard the mountain shook, first folks in during the next go-around will be scouting new paths.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#47]
wow!  Intense video.  

I remember the tv show on Everest a few years back, loved watching it , Everest: Beyond the Limit.  Back when the Discovery Channel was worth a darn

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#48]
I remember reading that some guy rode there on his bike, climbed it with no oxygen, and came back down like it was nothing. As I recall he was from some Alps country so he was use to the thin air

PS in that one photo of the 10,000 drop off, two of the ropes are frayed so there is no way that I am climbing until they fix it

Just an FYI for all you candy asses Elle McPherson climbed Mt. Everest many years ago
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Damn, all kinds of ways to die climbing and decending that mountain and those folks got rocked by a freaking earthquake. I wonder if it changed the routes at all. That would be a major oh shit factor if you were at at any of the advanced camps.

I have always wanted to go to base camp and actually see the mountain. No need to climb it for me as I doubt I could make it to the top and I won't spend that kind of scratch.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#50]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6ran_Kropp

Bike to everest and climb up like it's nothin guy.  Amazing.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top