Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2015 2:26:27 PM EDT
My travel trailer has a regulated lp system as most do.  I have an accessory line near the rear that the outdoor kitchen hooks into and you can hook a line in for a grill. A lot of people run into problems because since most grills are regulated also you can't just hook them up and go.  So I got a grill that is regulated.  (Wanted a bigger grill then any I could find without the regulator.  Drilled out the regulator and it is still a tiny flame when hooked up to the trailers system.  I know I dilled it out because if I screw the small grill lp bottle into it, it pours out through.  

So I'm thinking of doing this:  cutting the regulator off, cutting the tubing off like this: and cleaning up the ends and putting a clamp or two around it.  It is a very perfectly tight fit I'm sure I can keep from leaking.   I can prob even flange the metal if need be.    

Anyone know enough about lp gas to tell me if this will work?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Thought this was going to be a travelling music collection thread.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you know he actually did the first recording of Bobby McGee?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry to dissapoint!!

Btw it worked out fine.... Not that anyone cares but its a nice fix.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you nuts? Get a pro to diagnose/fix.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My travel trailer has a regulated lp system as most do.
View Quote

Yes, most trailers have a regulator located near the tank(s) that reduces several hundred PSI of tank pressure down to around 0.4 PSI (or around 11 inches of water column).

You definitely don't need to pass this low pressure through another regulator on your grill.

So I'm thinking of doing this:  cutting the regulator off, cutting the tubing off like this: and cleaning up the ends and putting a clamp or two around it.  It is a very perfectly tight fit I'm sure I can keep from leaking.   I can prob even flange the metal if need be.    

View Quote

If you're talking about removing the regulator on the grill, it should work fine.

That same technique is often used when installing "Little Buddy" propane heaters inside RVs - The regulator inside the Buddy Heater isn't needed, since the RV's regulator accomplishes the same thing. So, most folks just remove the regulator inside the heater, connecting what used to be the regulator's low-pressure outlet directly to their RV's (low pressure) LP supply.

Shouldn't be too hard to prevent leaks, since you're only dealing with a fraction of 1 PSI of pressure.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, most trailers have a regulator located near the tank(s) that reduces several hundred PSI of tank pressure down to around 0.4 PSI (or around 11 inches of water column).

You definitely don't need to pass this low pressure through another regulator on your grill.

If you're talking about removing the regulator on the grill, it should work fine.

That same technique is often used when installing "Little Buddy" propane heaters inside RVs - The regulator inside the Buddy Heater isn't needed, since the RV's regulator accomplishes the same thing. So, most folks just remove the regulator inside the heater, connecting what used to be the regulator's low-pressure outlet directly to their RV's (low pressure) LP supply.

Shouldn't be too hard to prevent leaks, since you're only dealing with a fraction of 1 PSI of pressure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My travel trailer has a regulated lp system as most do.

Thanks for the reassurance.  With no answer earlier, and reading that the flames cannot back feed into the tube I went for it.  Just sliding the hose over the metal piece made good enough of a connection it didn't leak without clamps even, which I put on then anyway.  Seems to work fine.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
and reading that the flames cannot back feed into the tube
View Quote

That's one of the nice things about propane - It's real picky about having the right fuel-to-air ratio before it'll burn (or explode).

Without any significant amount of air inside the tube, the propane can't burn - and so any flame stays outside in the open air.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top