User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But isn't natural selection the process by which random mutations become part of the genetic code because they allowed the species to overcome environmental pressures?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How the fuck did it just "evolve" that tail by pure, random mutation? And then learn how to use that tail and pass on the knowledge for how to use it by pure, random chance?

I am no creationist, but seeing specialized adaptations like this makes me also question the pure randomness on which Darwinian evolution is based.

It wasn't "pure random mutation", but rather, natural selection.

But isn't natural selection the process by which random mutations become part of the genetic code because they allowed the species to overcome environmental pressures?

If they're lucky.

99% of all species are extinct.

Darwin plays rough.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sneaky bastard.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

neat snake though
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Time.  Lots and lots of time.

But I know exactly what you mean.  There are highly specialized adaptions that make me say WTF?

I think what saves my empirical leanings is the knowledge that there is NO WAY Noah would have bought one of these snakes on the Ark.

How about Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, the ant zombiefication fungus?  It's a FUNGUS (a fungus, for God's sake) that evolved to be capable of infesting an ant's brain and forcing it climb a tree, die, and spread the spores.

How did it figure out how control a brain?  And how, in the name of all that is holy, figure out how to instruct the ant brain to clamp its mandibles on a leaf, and hang there until it dies and completes the fungi's bidding.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How the fuck did it just "evolve" that tail by pure, random mutation? And then learn how to use that tail and pass on the knowledge for how to use it by pure, random chance?

I am no creationist, but seeing specialized adaptations like this makes me also question the pure randomness on which Darwinian evolution is based.

But I know exactly what you mean.  There are highly specialized adaptions that make me say WTF?

I think what saves my empirical leanings is the knowledge that there is NO WAY Noah would have bought one of these snakes on the Ark.

How about Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, the ant zombiefication fungus?  It's a FUNGUS (a fungus, for God's sake) that evolved to be capable of infesting an ant's brain and forcing it climb a tree, die, and spread the spores.

How did it figure out how control a brain?  And how, in the name of all that is holy, figure out how to instruct the ant brain to clamp its mandibles on a leaf, and hang there until it dies and completes the fungi's bidding.

Say there is a fungus that lives on ants. ok now it mutates 1000000 times to add little things the ones that make it smell bad to ants are quickly killed off because they cant lure ants in to become hosts. The ones that live DO get to pass on that smell good gene. Then one of those mutates another 1000000 times (MILLIONS of generations not your lifetime, bacteria can do it in your lifetime but that is MILLIONS of generations(IE BILLIONS of bacterial lifetimes). 99990 of those mutations are lethal, they are things like glow in the dark, or smell bad, 8 will be stupid(glow in the dark, or grow in the part of the brain of the ant that makes them want to climb). By now the original fungi is long extinct the million years (or likely many more) have let the ones that smelled good for the ants take over. and the ones that only smelled good have been made exticnty by the climber ones that also smell good. Now again 1000000 more mutations happen and say 10 are non lethal, the good one is say clamp on so you don't fall. it didn't happen all at once.

Same thing with toxiplasmosis(an awesome parasite that lives in mice, but breeds in cat stomachs, gets shit out by the cat, eaten by mice, where it lives and makes them get stupid/ slow and get eaten by cats). It also has been linked(but not proved) to be part of making women go crazy (and collect cats ironically).
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is not even close to how evolution works. A small mutation starts at random, but the progression of that mutation comes from the survival advantage conferred by the mutation and the knowledge of its use (if any is required) is honed through millennia of trial and error.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had the same thoughts, but tempered with the knowledge that it just did.

For more reading, I recommend The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Ain't nothing "The Judge" can't handle. If Ruger doesn't have majority market share in Persia, someone in corporate is smoking crack.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ain't nothing "The Judge" can't handle. If Ruger doesn't have majority market share in Persia, someone in corporate is smoking crack.
View Quote

Is Ruger making a Judge clone or something these days?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quite possibly one of the worst I've ever heard, video is pretty cool on mute.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Goofy narrator aside (unnatural inflections in his voice, and a poem that had absolutely nothing to do with the snake), that was one pretty cool video.

Press TV is owned by the Islamic Iranian Government.

Extra dramatic narration.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:22:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

damn dude. I knew you had an interesting time in Iraq but thats alot of camel spider hate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I got from that is that there is a bird species that is genetically programmed to kill camel spiders and some dick head snake is eating them.  We need to breed those birds by the fuck ton and kill every last one of those snakes.

TLDR, fuck camel spiders and anything that eats shit that kills them.

damn dude. I knew you had an interesting time in Iraq but thats alot of camel spider hate.

Brother, you have no idea.   Haji just does what the imams program him to do.  Camel spiders are actually evil.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:26:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Goofy narrator aside (unnatural inflections in his voice, and a poem that had absolutely nothing to do with the snake), that was one pretty cool video.

it is probably better in farsi.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:54:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Billions of "random mutations" that did nothing to increase survival over millions of years and 3 that did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Billions of "random mutations" that did nothing to increase survival over millions of years and 3 that did.
Lots of faith necessary to believe that, I'd say.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:56:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Imagine that at some point in the past, the ancestor of that snake had a tail with some part that very vaguely resembled an insect. This tail distracted its prey, allowing it to capture more prey than other individuals within the population.This translated into a reproductive advantage, which lead to the set of genes that produced its unique tail becoming more common within the population. Further down the line, all the snakes in this population have the trait. But no two snakes have exactly the same tail. Some of the tails are more effective at distracting prey than others. The snakes with the most effective tails are able to reproduce at a higher rate, leading to a gradual change in the population over time.

How did it come to resemble a spider? Because the spider tail was the most effective form possible in this context. Any change towards looking like a spider would be preserved, while changes that didn't lead towards it discarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Imagine that at some point in the past, the ancestor of that snake had a tail with some part that very vaguely resembled an insect. This tail distracted its prey, allowing it to capture more prey than other individuals within the population.This translated into a reproductive advantage, which lead to the set of genes that produced its unique tail becoming more common within the population. Further down the line, all the snakes in this population have the trait. But no two snakes have exactly the same tail. Some of the tails are more effective at distracting prey than others. The snakes with the most effective tails are able to reproduce at a higher rate, leading to a gradual change in the population over time.

How did it come to resemble a spider? Because the spider tail was the most effective form possible in this context. Any change towards looking like a spider would be preserved, while changes that didn't lead towards it discarded.
I'm no longer sure who is trolling, either.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The mutations are random, according to Darwinian theory. Natural selection is said to determine which mutations endure.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:00:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know what you mean, too. Something is there beyond the Darwinian explanation, IMO. he Darwinian seems adequate as a plausible explanation for  the ordinary and uncomplicated physical systems, but IMO is wholly inadequate to explain the really complex systems—especially those that involve controlling behavior.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:08:27 AM EDT
[#17]
also...

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:08:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That is not even close to how evolution works. A small mutation starts at random, but the progression of that mutation comes from the survival advantage conferred by the mutation and the knowledge of its use (if any is required) is honed through millennia of trial and error.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All the progressions come at random, too. Or they don't come at all. I just don't buy the rest and have come to the opinion that there is something we miss by perseverating on the Darwinian explanation. It's so dogmatic.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:14:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Arfcom on snakes:  OMG it's a Copperattlerskin!  Nuke from orbit.

Arfcom on spiders:  OMG it's a Widhobrown!  Nuke it from orbit.

Now we have a spidersnake.  

RIP Solar System.

Seriously, that's a fucking devious, scary awesome critter.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Amazing!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:44:34 AM EDT
[#22]
That is cool.

Another one of God's critters.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:46:49 AM EDT
[#23]
When predators start using fake beer and food to lure us in then it's time to worry.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:28:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I know what you mean, too. Something is there beyond the Darwinian explanation, IMO. he Darwinian seems adequate as a plausible explanation for  the ordinary and uncomplicated physical systems, but IMO is wholly inadequate to explain the really complex systems—especially those that involve controlling behavior.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Complex unlearned behaviors and instinctive behaviors have been shown to be passed down through epigenetics.

It's a likely candidate for why dogs turn in circles before lying or cats bury their crap, even if they were separated as blind youngsters and have never seen another animal like themselves since.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:36:26 AM EDT
[#25]
freaky
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:40:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Just one more reason to turn that place into a giant sheet of glass!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Bump for a cool motherfucker snake.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#28]
could be worse the spider could evolve into a snickers bar look alike
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
could be worse the spider could evolve into a snickers bar look alike
View Quote

True.  The "dentist appointment" snake is the only one that would be more scary.  Especially if you pay your way through life.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top