Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Installing taller tires effectively changes your final drive ratio, the same as installing taller gears, and has a negative effect on torque. With taller tires you need shorter gears to maintain power to the wheels.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You've never spent ANY time off road have you.

Larger tires = more ground clearance at the expense of screwed up gear ratios (and jacked up center of gravity) unless changed.

ETA that unless you have a dedicated need to screw with factory stuff.....don't.

As long as the front and rear tires are the same size, how are you screwing up the gear ratios.  Now, if you upsize your tires from a 265 to a 295, your speedo will be off, but that's about it. I don't think 4"-6" of lift is going to jack up your center of gravity unless you are trying to road race your truck.

Installing taller tires effectively changes your final drive ratio, the same as installing taller gears, and has a negative effect on torque. With taller tires you need shorter gears to maintain power to the wheels.

Unless you're building a dedicated offroad rig or plan on trying to rock crawl with it, once you put it in low range I doubt you're going to be able to tell the difference with a set of 295s as opposed to 265s.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Approach, breakover, departure angles.

Breakover is the biggy with a longer wheelbase truck.  Lift it some and all the angles get better.

And then there is this
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a quick question, my h2 (hate away) has 315x17x70r which only seem to be available in the BFG's.  How much would a 35 throw my gearing and speedo off?  I think the 315x17x70r are 34.1 inhes tall, so around an inch difference.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Farmers drive on farms. Off road trucks drive off road, like through mud pits, over rocks, fallen trees and such. Farmers spend thier lives clearing those obstacles while off readers seek them out. Big trucks can run big motors, high HP, and can come stock with 1 ton axles, and a real drive train to handle it. By your logic, why not walk the trail instead? Jeeps arent for everyone.

Flat bill brodozers are a different story tho. Their fathers never played catch with them and mommy kissed thier boo boos far too long Into adulthood
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Unless you're building a dedicated offroad rig or plan on trying to rock crawl with it, once you put it in low range I doubt you're going to be able to tell the difference with a 295s as opposed to 265s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larger tires = more ground clearance at the expense of screwed up gear ratios (and jacked up center of gravity) unless changed.

ETA that unless you have a dedicated need to screw with factory stuff.....don't.

As long as the front and rear tires are the same size, how are you screwing up the gear ratios.  Now, if you upsize your tires from a 265 to a 295, your speedo will be off, but that's about it. I don't think 4"-6" of lift is going to jack up your center of gravity unless you are trying to road race your truck.

Unless you're building a dedicated offroad rig or plan on trying to rock crawl with it, once you put it in low range I doubt you're going to be able to tell the difference with a 295s as opposed to 265s.

You asked how it screwed with it, I simply explained it. Whether you notice the difference or not it's still there and will adversely effect performance.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Apparently the farmers there are different than out here. I don't know any farmers around here with toys like that, but they do but new trucks and equipment every few years so that's where most their money goes.  About a decade ago I worked in a commercial tire shop that specialized in ag tires. Most the farmers in the county and adjoining counties had accounts with us. They were some of the cheapest fuckers I had ever met, didn't like to spend a dime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Another stupid post. lol. Some of the richest farmers around drive really nice trucks that you'd list as a bro dozer because of the stupid ass mods done to them. But it's not my truck, so they are welcome to bro it out with their harvest money.

What do you drive?

Apparently the farmers there are different than out here. I don't know any farmers around here with toys like that, but they do but new trucks and equipment every few years so that's where most their money goes.  About a decade ago I worked in a commercial tire shop that specialized in ag tires. Most the farmers in the county and adjoining counties had accounts with us. They were some of the cheapest fuckers I had ever met, didn't like to spend a dime.

I'm a farmer, I have a lifted vehicle. But I also have a bone stock work pickup.

Are there douche bags that own lifted pickups? Of course. But there is also tons of douche bags that drive a run down 98 corolla. What you drive doesn't speak to who you are, it speaks to what you like or what you can afford.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It's really pathetic how folks worry so much about what other people do with their own money.
View Quote

If you buy a new car, spend more than $500 for a pistol, modify your vehicle for anything besides speed or possess a nice watch you're an idiot. But, it is ok to spend thousands on a rifle (as long as it is an AR and not, God forbid, for hunting) and buy thousands of rounds you'll never shoot.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Usually there are ratios in that transfer case that are almost too slow. Never had a problum with that. We lifted a friends Ex military Blaser and put on 35's.
Just so he could get better drive ability out of it. It came with 4.56 gears. Pretty low ratio, I think he actually gets better gas mileage.
He can go faster on the freeway. If your talking a 3/4 ton truck. I don't think your going to find many with a high gear set.
It shouldn't have any problum.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got a quick question, my h2 (hate away) has 315x17x70r which only seem to be available in the BFG's.  How much would a 35 throw my gearing and speedo off?  I think the 315x17x70r are 34.1 inhes tall, so around an inch difference.
View Quote

You'd have to get the specs for each tire that you're considering. A lot of 35s only measure 34. Go to Nitto's page and look at the Specs on the Dura Grappler and then at the same tire size in a Mud or Trail Grappler. They are all different for the same size tire.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on the tire, most 35" tires will not be 35" but will be somewhere between 34" and 35".

My 33" are actually 32.5"

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You'd have to get the specs for each tire that you're considering. A lot of 35s only measure 34. Go to Nitto's page and look at the Specs on the Dura Grappler and then at the same tire size in a Mud or Trail Grappler. They are all different for the same size tire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I have that size on one of my duallys. I'd have to check to be sure. But Dick Cepek makes a few tires in that size. Tire rack.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Nitto is what I was looking at, my wife has them on her FJ and I really like them.  I just put some New BFGs on about 10k miles ago, and its an 05 with 68k miles, so its going to be a while before I actually needed to buy any.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you buy a new car, spend more than $500 for a pistol, modify your vehicle for anything besides speed or possess a nice watch you're an idiot. But, it is ok to spend thousands on a rifle (as long as it is an AR and not, God forbid, for hunting) and buy thousands of rounds you'll never shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's really pathetic how folks worry so much about what other people do with their own money.

Sounds about right
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't get it either.  There is nothing resembling a hill for two hours from here, yet every dumbass high school kid has a rusted out mid '90's Chevy with a lift, oversized bald-ass tires, obnoxious straight pipe exhaust, and some random huge sticker in the back window.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was on the farm, a brodozer would be useless trying to pull a gooseneck.

If I was going anywhere that was real muddy, I'd just hook up the trailer with the Gator.

Basically, it has very very few benefits, but to each their own.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I find that the majority of lifted 3/4 and 1 tons usually are rolling on a set of tires that are 35" tall which would fit in their truck stock with a little to possibly no fender trimming. And that's with a 4-6" lift, they could be easily running 37-40s on the same amount of lift and actually gain off-road capability not a dumb looking truck with little tires, I guess tires too get expensive when they are over 35" tall
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I find that the majority of lifted 3/4 and 1 tons usually are rolling on a set of tires that are 35" tall which would fit in their truck stock with a little to possibly no fender trimming. And that's with a 4-6" lift, they could be easily running 37-40s on the same amount of lift and actually gain off-road capability not a dumb looking truck with little tires, I guess tires too get expensive when they are over 35" tall
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think I have that size on one of my duallys. I'd have to check to be sure. But Dick Cepek makes a few tires in that size. Tire rack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How are the Dick Cepak priceed?  I hated dropping 1200 for a set of the BRGs, which was why ai was looking at the Nitto.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#21]
You hillbillies are all wrong. Full size trucks should be lowered.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Well, I can guess how this topic will go.  But I am legit wondering why people put lift kits on full size trucks?  Are there any benefits besides the looks, if you like the looks?  I can understand lifting a Tacoma or S10 or small truck if you want to go offroading, but full size trucks don't strike me as good for offroading given their weight/width/length.  

Lifted trucks would be a pain in the ass to put stuff in/get stuff out of the bed, I imagine it hurts any gas mileage, and I rarely see lifted trucks towing anything, so I  would think they aren't the best for towing.  Also would seem to probably wear parts unnecessarily.

I can totally get lifting Jeeps/4 Runners things like that to offroad but why do people lift F350's?  

Flame me now.
View Quote

Lifting a truck does nothing to raise the pumpkins on the axels, but it does allow steeper take-off angles. Depends on what you anticipate doing with the truck.

Most of the lifted trucks I see these days will never leave the pavement...it's all about bragging rights among idiots.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You hillbillies are all wrong. Full size trucks should be lowered.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k618/Tweek218/SEMA-Trucks-8-copy%20800x533_zpsrclkbf2k.jpg
View Quote

Drive that on I75 down by the Ohio border and let me know how it works out.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Short man syndrome.

Just saw one at Publix parked in the fire lane idling.

Wife came out and Mr. 5 ft 6 jumps out to help her load the groceries.

She probably had to lift him back up into it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
With the correct lift, it puts the exhaust at the perfect height to roll coal directly into the prius driving metro OP's twinks window.

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/n9part1308621582150j" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/837/part1308621582150.jpg</a>

That and my truck sags from hauling my fat cock around.

View Quote

Fixed
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lifting a truck does nothing to raise the pumpkins on the axels, but it does allow steeper take-off angles. Depends on what you anticipate doing with the truck.

Most of the lifted trucks I see these days will never leave the pavement...it's all about bragging rights among idiots.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, I can guess how this topic will go.  But I am legit wondering why people put lift kits on full size trucks?  Are there any benefits besides the looks, if you like the looks?  I can understand lifting a Tacoma or S10 or small truck if you want to go offroading, but full size trucks don't strike me as good for offroading given their weight/width/length.  

Lifted trucks would be a pain in the ass to put stuff in/get stuff out of the bed, I imagine it hurts any gas mileage, and I rarely see lifted trucks towing anything, so I  would think they aren't the best for towing.  Also would seem to probably wear parts unnecessarily.

I can totally get lifting Jeeps/4 Runners things like that to offroad but why do people lift F350's?  

Flame me now.

Most of the guns posted on this forum will never leave the basement.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't like huge lifts .... I like a tasteful lifted truck (3-6" lift is my limit) .... I recently lifted my 07 F150 FX4 and I like the way it turned out .... not to big but still looks good ....

17" Wheels and 35s Nitto Trail Grapplers turned out great IMO ... I stayed away from black wheels to be a little different

EDIT: I honestly did it for the looks more than anything plus the extra ground clearance etc is nice to have when needed

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Farmers and Ranchers are smarter than that.  They also work too hard spend money on stupid shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
... fender room for large tires, providing greater ground clearance

Yes, I get this.

But why do they need more ground clearance in a F350 or Ram 2500?  I have NEVER seen a farmer drive a lifted truck, so I imagine they can get by just fine in a stock height truck with good tires in fields and such.

I guess I just think trying to wheel trails or a rock garden in a full size truck would be a little dumb.  Too heavy/wide/long to be effective?

Farmers and Ranchers are smarter than that.  They also work too hard spend money on stupid shit.

Nah. Just too tight (not all) to do it #1 reason is that a lifted truck (beyond a few inches) sucks with a heavy gooseneck
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This thread is going as expected.

Once again, I do not care if other people do it, it's their money and truck.

I was simply asking what the positives for doing it are, besides the looks, as my OP stated.  

View Quote

And you got your answer very early.

Ground clearance
larger tires
suspension travel
because they like it
keeps fat chicks out
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How are the Dick Cepak priceed?  I hated dropping 1200 for a set of the BRGs, which was why ai was looking at the Nitto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are spendy, but are a great tire. I've bought two sets for one of my trucks. The last two I put on only needed 1.5 oz of weight to balance them. For my dually in the back, I won't even put those weights on (I mount and balance my own tires, I have a machine). Try to find a BFG tire in that size that only needs one oz of weight to balance. It won't happen.

If you think buying big tires for your truck is bad, I put them on a dually. And I have seven trucks to put tires on, five of those being duallys.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame me now.

Yep. They shouldn't bother with trying to take them off-road unless they have portal axles.

A guy at work came in last summer all pissed off because they went "camping" and he had to park his bro dozer in a little dirt/mud by their campsite. He said he never meant for the truck to get dirty.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I had a buddy in HS that had one just like it except it was blue. Man we had a blast with that thing, made many good memories. I drove it a few times and it was smoooooth.  
View All Quotes

Owned a FS Bronco as well once.  It was too big for the places I generally wanted to stick it.   The gear ratios were too tall for my tastes and brakes were the weak point.  Lots and Lots of really long steep mountains where I lived at the time. It was comfortable on the Hwy though to get to those places.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They are spendy, but are a great tire. I've bought two sets for one of my trucks. The last two I put on only needed 1.5 oz of weight to balance them. For my dually in the back, I won't even put those weights on (I mount and balance my own tires, I have a machine). Try to find a BFG tire in that size that only needs one oz of weight to balance. It won't happen.

If you think buying big tires for your truck is bad, I put them on a dually. And I have seven trucks to put tires on, five of those being duallys.
View Quote

Jesus, thats a lot of tires!  we have 3 cars, but all sort of weird tire sizes,  wifes fj has a 17 rim, and most all terrains dont come in her size with a 17 inch rim.  Her Audi S5 bas has some tiny little low profiles that are not even as wide as the rim that cost a small fortune, and the H2.

Luckily we dont drive much.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I own Jeeps but the answer is ........chicks.

Already have a chick? Keep her.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Short man syndrome.

View Quote
Fella helps your wife and you choose to shit on him over his size ?

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It was too big for the places I generally wanted to stick it.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

But why do they need more ground clearance in a F350 or Ram 2500?  I have NEVER seen a farmer drive a lifted truck, so I imagine they can get by just fine in a stock height truck with good tires in fields and such.

I guess I just think trying to wheel trails or a rock garden in a full size truck would be a little dumb.  Too heavy/wide/long to be effective?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

The average profit margin for farming in America is -0.5% annually. Land appreciation is the only thing that makes it work. We get by with as little as possible.

On top of that if the fields are muddy, what do you think the farmers are doing? You can't farm mud, you go work on equipment until it dries out. Most guys run sprinklers with a atv or side by side and leave their pickup parked on the road. Farming really isn't a good example of heavy offroad use in a work pickup.

The only reason I see for a big lift is bc Merica. A small lift can help function if you are running wells or cattle and sometimes do get in the mud and snow.

A modern 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup with do almost any work tasks that are needed if you just put aggressive tires on it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I drive a fullsize truck. It has a small lift and bigger tires on it. Now, when I drive it on the beach, the front airdam doesn't drag the sand between the ruts.

Tell me again how small my peepee is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Why buy more than one Glock 19?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Jesus, thats a lot of tires!  we have 3 cars, but all sort of weird tire sizes,  wifes fj has a 17 rim, and most all terrains dont come in her size with a 17 inch rim.  Her Audi S5 bas has some tiny little low profiles that are not even as wide as the rim that cost a small fortune, and the H2.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think that is bad, I have 10 trailers. With a calculator and by my best count, I have 126 tires on the ground, and 23 spares. This doesn't include the atvs and motorcycles. I stock maybe 10 or 12 of my common trailer tire, and truck tire.

My trucks drive a ton. All but three are over 300,000 miles. I spend $70k-$80k in diesel fuel every year.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Short man syndrome.

His wife

Sitting there idling in the fire lane because he is too important to park in a spot like everyone else.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh no you didn't.

Why buy one Glock 19?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Oh no you didn't.

Why buy one Glock 19?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no you didn't.

Why buy one Glock 19?

Because I have a tone of 26s and 17s. I don't need to compromise with a 19... For the moment.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

You hardly ever see a farmer with an ar15. I'm sure they can get by with just a double barrel 12 gauge and 30/30 just fine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You really can't envision an off-road scenario between a turn row and rock crawling?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

You really can't envision an off-road scenario between a turn row and rock crawling?

I can't envision taking a full size truck through a rock garden. I know in some areas it's "off-roading" to just run a bunch of jacked up trucks through some mud pits ad around here it's trails and mud not really bogs though. I get the difference.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I can't envision taking a full size truck through a rock garden. I know in some areas it's "off-roading" to just run a bunch of jacked up trucks through some mud pits ad around here it's trails and mud not really bogs though. I get the difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

Me either, you would probably piss off the homeowner.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

His wife  

Sitting there idling in the fire lane because he is too important to park in a spot like everyone else.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Short man syndrome.

His wife  

Oh, I  copy. I thought damn that's harsh

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#49]
buncha fuckin' liberals in this website. Jesus.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

buncha fuckin' liberals in this website. Jesus.
View Quote

No, a liberal would be calling for a ban on lifted trucks or tax them out of existence.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top