Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My mom told me she'd rather be the mother of a dead kid than a coward, so she let me climb anything I wanted, swim in any water and pet any animal.

On the other hand, my parents denied me sissy stuff like medical care.

There's a line. Nothing wrong with bikes, but nothing wrong with helmets either.
View Quote

Indeed. I mean they can just make more kids anyways right?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Not my kid so I MYOB!!!!

What I've learned from being a new parent and being around other kids is that if the mom is over protective then the kids going to be a pussy.  I have to put my wife in check from time to time but my son still acts like a pussy every now and then (he is only three but still.).

I do make him wear a helmet when he rides anything like bike or kid ATV.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]
When my daughter, 5 or so at the time, split her chin open riding her bike and was getting stitches I told her "Good job. A few stitches just show you' re living life." She just smiled and said "yeah."

We had a talk about every time I got stitches, and I'm ok... It started to heal up nicely and looked like no permanent scar would result. 100 days after the first set of stitches, she was back for more in the same spot but at 90 degrees. More stitches, no avoiding scar this time. She learned something that first trip to the doctor, but it wasn't to be afraid to get hurt.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#8]
My kids wear helmets.

I also make sure they don't have metal handlebar ends pointing out, but that's because I do enough trauma to see what happens when we go full 1970s safety.  Massive head injuries, handlebar impalements (yes, I saw one within the last month), etc. Keep in mind, I'm a product of the "no helmet, no pads, no brakes, no problem" school of learning.

I wear helmets as an example to my kids. I also started snowboarding this year at my ripening age, and realized quickly that my helmet, padded shorts, and wrist guard gloves weren't stupid. Some of my falls made me see stars, and some would have trashed my wrist. I'm currently down one full time employee who snapped his forearm snowboarding.

Safety gear isn't stupid. By the same token, responsible adults who chose not to wear it are my job security. Adults who don't bother to keep their kids safe create a customer and patient base I do not want. I've seen a lot of dead and maimed kids from preventable recreational injuries.

Fear not, you can still manage to get a good periostial bruise ("bone bruise") where pads don't cover.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just witnessed a 12-14 year old boy riding a bicycle on his gravel lane (house is about 150 yards off the road) and he was fully padded up; helmet, elbow and knee pads, and some sort of face shield on the helmet.

WTF?!?

Less than 20 years ago me and my friends would ride everywhere without a helmet. Hell we'd even do all kinds of stupid stuff trying to be stuntmen. Yeah we had some cuts and bruises and would be sore for a day or two. But doing things like that made us tough, probably more mentally than physically. And we'd have a good story to tell.

I can't stand most parents today. Let kids be kids. Let them experience pain and failure. That's how we get stronger. That's how we learn.

View Quote

Know what you call a bike rider without a helmet?

Heart donor.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If this is true, it explains so much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mom told me she'd rather be the mother of a dead kid than a coward, so she let me climb anything I wanted, swim in any water and pet any animal.

On the other hand, my parents denied me sissy stuff like medical care.

There's a line. Nothing wrong with bikes, but nothing wrong with helmets either.

If this is true, it explains so much.

Do your future kids a favor. Don't breed with hippies. Stick to Donna Reeds.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

While I completely understand where you are coming from ...

You gonna pay for his medical bills?  You gonna take time off work to go to the Dr/hospital?   They may only have Obamacare (ie not real insurance or no insurance at all.)

Not your kid ... Not your problem.

We had trouble getting our son (~ 7-8 yo) to wear a helmet while he rode his bike or skateboarded.  We told him if we caught him doing ANYTHING without the helmet, he would temporarily lose the bike/skateboard.  Walked into the bathroom a couple of hours later and the smartass was in the shower wearing the damn helmet.  He is now 27 and far from being "weak."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just witnessed a 12-14 year old boy riding a bicycle on his gravel lane (house is about 150 yards off the road) and he was fully padded up; helmet, elbow and knee pads, and some sort of face shield on the helmet.

WTF?!?

Less than 20 years ago me and my friends would ride everywhere without a helmet. Hell we'd even do all kinds of stupid stuff trying to be stuntmen. Yeah we had some cuts and bruises and would be sore for a day or two. But doing things like that made us tough, probably more mentally than physically. And we'd have a good story to tell.

I can't stand most parents today. Let kids be kids. Let them experience pain and failure. That's how we get stronger. That's how we learn.

While I completely understand where you are coming from ...

You gonna pay for his medical bills?  You gonna take time off work to go to the Dr/hospital?   They may only have Obamacare (ie not real insurance or no insurance at all.)

Not your kid ... Not your problem.

We had trouble getting our son (~ 7-8 yo) to wear a helmet while he rode his bike or skateboarded.  We told him if we caught him doing ANYTHING without the helmet, he would temporarily lose the bike/skateboard.  Walked into the bathroom a couple of hours later and the smartass was in the shower wearing the damn helmet.  He is now 27 and far from being "weak."

Most injuries aren't going to require medical attention. Its part of growing up.

A helmet is a good idea. The rest is not. You don't want to raise a pussy who is afraid of everything and all risk.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
small "boo boos" are part of being a kid. Cuts, scrapes, bumps, bruises, etc. Shit happens, and getting them as a kid taught me to deal with it, if anything.

Should kids go out and get hurt? Absolutely not. Should parents not take steps to protect their children from serious injury? absolutely not.

But stopping them from getting every cut, scrape, etc is not the way to go.

It may sound harsh, but doing something, and getting hurt as a result, is a HUGE learning tool
(by that i mean things like touching a hot stove hurts -> I shouldn't touch hot things"
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#13]
One of my kids best teachers is named gravity.  She teaches a hard lesson sometimes, but its good for her.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I agree.

Reminds me of the last time I went skiing. Went last year after about a 6-8 year hiatus.

I was the ONLY person in the mountain not wearing a helmet.

WTF?  People are that scared of being the next Sonny Bono?
View Quote

I regularly hit 60mph on my skis. Wearing a helmet just makes sense.

Being the only person on the mountain without a helmet should have been your first clue that you're the one doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#15]
My daughter was walking through the house last night and stepped on one of her toys. She started to cry as it dug into her foot. I looked at her and said, "Did that hurt?" she said yes. I then said, "Well, maybe now you'll pick up your toys."

Neither my wife nor I rush to either of our kids when hurt. Both of them will wear a helmet when riding their bikes but that's about it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
pulling gravel out of your palms and knees is just part of growing up
View Quote

Damn right. Taught me to judge things better before trying something new.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Being the only person on the mountain without a helmet should have been your first clue that you're the one doing it wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree.

Reminds me of the last time I went skiing. Went last year after about a 6-8 year hiatus.

Like NHTriumph, I haven't been skiing in a long time (before wearing helmets became the norm)
but with the rise in popularity of YouTube, the tv show Jackass, and extreme sports
I would consider wearing a helmet for protection from some of the other morons on the slopes

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Make your kid wear a helmet.

View Quote

Could not agree more.

Make them wear helmets on their bikes.

Get them in the habit of wearing helmets... Then they are in the habit when they start riding motorcycles.

My son flipped on his dirtbike right in front of me, while he was wearing all the right gear. Had to fix his bike... But all *he* had in the end was a cool story to tell his mom, and his friends...

Totaled his bike... He walked-away...

Anyone who says helmets are for sissies is a retard and a scoundrel... Get the kids in the *habit* of always wearing a helmet...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
ETA: actually it's absolutely amazing I'm not blind, retarded and never broke a bone....
View Quote

Same here. And I've done some stupid shit growing up too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

BTDT:  Took a nasty spill on a bike.  It took several years before the last of the gravel left the palm of my left hand.  I still think there may be dust there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ETA: actually it's absolutely amazing I'm not blind, retarded and never broke a bone....

I was bouncing my front tire down a curb and lost control and no shit, face planted on to a man hole cover.

I didn't black out but my vision went blurry and had a massive headache...

Never told my parents.

The shit we did...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I agree.

View Quote

You ski like a pussy if you aren't in need of a helmet on occasion.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Did we not wear helmets 30 years ago because they didn't exist?  Or we were just tougher?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#24]
In some ways I wish it was cool to wear helmet on the slopes when I was a kid. I grew up snowboarding all winter in the mid 90s and early 00s on the ice coast and I got knocked the fuck out in the park a couple of times on ice. Back then if you showed up to the park wearing a helmet you would promptly be told what a faggot you were.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had trouble getting our son (~ 7-8 yo) to wear a helmet while he rode his bike or skateboarded.  We told him if we caught him doing ANYTHING without the helmet, he would temporarily lose the bike/skateboard.  Walked into the bathroom a couple of hours later and the smartass was in the shower wearing the damn helmet. He is now 27 and far from being "weak."

That's how you know he listens!!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#26]
head injuries aren't funny.  Let people nanny their kids if they want
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Like NHTriumph, I haven't been skiing in a long time (before wearing helmets became the norm)

but with the rise in popularity of YouTube, the tv show Jackass, and extreme sports

I would consider wearing a helmet for protection from some of the other morons on the slopes

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.

If you think other riders are the only reason you might need a helmet, then you are fooling yourself. Shit happens, and head injuries are no joke. It's one thing to walk funny for the rest of your life because you wrecked a leg skiing, it's a whole other deal to not be able to think right for the rest of your life because you wrecked your head.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I figure all kids are brain damaged anyway so my kid rides without all that crap.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Wear a helmet.

I was on roller blades as a kid and flipped backwards and split my helmet.  

If it weren't for that helmet, I'd be a drooling state responsibility..
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#31]
By the Time I was 14 Doctors had plucked gravel out of my chin twice. I eventually learned but bikes were also my life back then.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
When I was a kid, wearing a helmet would have gotten you hurt worse than not wearing one. When all your friends beat you up for being a pussy
View Quote

"friends"
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Helmets are for fags.

I'm gonna ride my GIXXER around the block a couple of times in my basketball shorts and shower shoes because of this thread.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Helmets are for fags.

I'm gonna ride my GIXXER around the block a couple of times in my basketball shorts and shower shoes because of this thread.
View Quote

+1 vote for "pull the plug" here
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I wear a helmet. When I have kids, they're gonna wear helmets. Not doing so is fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You can talk all you want about the pussification of our country...

https://sociorocketnewsen.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/we-try-22bubble-soccer22.jpg?w=580&h=386

But that shit looks really, really fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've stated more than once the current gen might as well all be growing up inside safety bubbles.

Look, Ma!  We're Swimming!

http://inmenlo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Kids-in-bubbles.jpg

Look, Ma!  We're playing sports!

https://sociorocketnewsen.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/we-try-22bubble-soccer22.jpg?w=580&h=386

Look, Ma!  I just can't take this cruel world anymore!

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/OKAAAOxyRhBSs-pV/$_3.JPG?set_id=2

You can talk all you want about the pussification of our country...

But that shit looks really, really fun.

That's Brazil.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Helmets are for fags.

View Quote

I say "go for it" .... I might need a new liver one day and you're just begging to be one more donor in the pool.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you think other riders are the only reason you might need a helmet, then you are fooling yourself. Shit happens, and head injuries are no joke. It's one thing to walk funny for the rest of your life because you wrecked a leg skiing, it's a whole other deal to not be able to think right for the rest of your life because you wrecked your head.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree.

Not a time that a helmet saved me, but I've still got my right eye thanks to my goggles. A few years ago I was skiing in the trees at Mary Jane, popped around a corner and before I could react a crooked thick branch jabbed right where my right eye was. I only had a scratch on my goggles.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I say "go for it" .... I might need a new liver one day and you're just begging to be one more donor in the pool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Helmets are for fags.

You don't want my liver.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#41]
My sister smothers my nephew.  She's been doing it since he was a baby.  He's 11 now and it shows.  Kid is afraid to even get dirty and while he has all the right things to be a good athlete, he's still skittish out there on the field or on the court.  It sucks.  Really hurts to see how he's maturing.  Scared of so many things.  Won't even drive a 4 wheeler because he's afraid his mom wouldn't approve.  

For some reason, she's not the same to my niece, who is 5 years younger.  She's not scared of anything and loves to have fun.  Likes to get dirty and has very good coordination and strength.  Really good at gymnastics for a 6 year old.  

As for the kid in my OP, he was riding down a lane that looked like this.  You're not going to get a TBI riding a small bike on a lane like this.  Especially at the snail pace he was going...

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#42]
When I was around 12 I was riding my bike down a steep hill on a gravel road one fine summer's day, when I wiped out badly.

In those days, they used to spray an oily, tar-like substance onto the gravel roads in summer, to keep the dust down (I think).

I slid for a good length of the hill, and with just shorts and a T-shirt, I was pretty well covered with road rash by the time I got to the bottom.  I had oily gravel sticking out of various cuts.

That's how we rolled in those days.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My sister smothers my nephew.  She's been doing it since he was a baby.  He's 11 now and it shows.  Kid is afraid to even get dirty and while he has all the right things to be a good athlete, he's still skittish out there on the field or on the court.  It sucks.  Really hurts to see how he's maturing.  Scared of so many things.  Won't even drive a 4 wheeler because he's afraid his mom wouldn't approve.  

For some reason, she's not the same to my niece, who is 5 years younger.  She's not scared of anything and loves to have fun.  Likes to get dirty and has very good coordination and strength.  Really good at gymnastics for a 6 year old.  

As for the kid in my OP, he was riding down a lane that looked like this.  You're not going to get a TBI riding a small bike on a lane like this.  Especially at the snail pace he was going...

http://www.dailyencouragement.net/images/lancaster/long_farm_lane.jpg
View Quote

Yes, a child receive a serious brain injury from falling the height of a bike; as in simply falling off a bike.  Just to clarify my personal opinion, I think kids should wear helmets, and other protective gear, depending upon activity.  However, my children will be involved in martial arts(they already watch dad roll BJJ and Muay Thai) so they will definitely not be coddled or live in a bubble.  

Head injuries can occur from very short falls; add in just 5mph and...
www.nacdl.org/uploadedFiles/resource_center/topics/post_conviction//03_Fall_Fatalities_Children_AJFM_Pathol_01.pdf

Spent five min. trying to make link hot.  I going to kick a liberal I'm so frustrated.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#44]
My kids wear helmets.  I wear a helmet when I mountain bike.  I'd be a vegetable by now for sure if I didn't.  TBIs are not something I care to deal with.

We do have an old school trampoline with not nets or faggy padding on the bars.  Somehow we've avoided serious injury over the past 7 plus years.  We did have a pretty good nose bleed yesterday though.

I'll admit that we are waaay more overprotective of our kids than our parents were.  I'm not sure if the world is that much worse,  or if we're just more aware,  or if we're just scaredy cats.  No way I'd let my kids just roam the neighborhood for hours like I used to.

My mom will say something like "do you guys have the right car seat? I saw on Dateline that you need the new 8 point safety restraint system".  And I'm like "you used to drive around with me in your lap smoking a cigarette!"  "well we didn't know better back then".
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#45]
A physician friend of mine from Australia commented that wearing helmets increases the risk of C-spine injury. There are some studies out there on it. Paraplegic or TBI? Which would you prefer? I personally have no problem with kids wearing helmets. Telling someone they are wrong for wearing a helmet is like telling someone not to carry all the time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

A physician friend of mine from Australia commented that wearing helmets increases the risk of C-spine injury. There are some studies out there on it. Paraplegic or TBI? Which would you prefer? I personally have no problem with kids wearing helmets. Telling someone they are wrong for wearing a helmet is like telling someone not to carry all the time.
View Quote

Congrats.

You know the one doctor that is against helmets.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Helmets are for fags.

View Quote

Flip flops, a backwards baseball cap, and a wife beater are appropriate attire for that motorcycle

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

A physician friend of mine from Australia commented that wearing helmets increases the risk of C-spine injury.

View Quote

That argument has existed for longer than some people on this forum have been alive.
I remember 30 years ago my dad telling me "Helmets aren't important because if you wreck, you're fucked either way.  Paralyzed or brain dead, take your choice!"
This attitude fails to overlook several things.  It fails to overlook low to medium speed hits that a helmet can have you stand up and say "oops" vs getting your bell wrung or actually getting concussed.  It fails to overlook having skin and hair ripped off by pavement which even if you don't fuck up your brain can be a problem on it's own.  
It fails to overlook that a huge percentage of hits are in the lower part of the face, and while chicks dig scars a broken jaw never makes ya prettier.  It also fails to overlook modernization and research that has been done surrounding helmet design to reduce neck injury (the last two do not really apply to bicycle helmets but it does to all full face helmets on the market)
I had a low speed drop on a GoldWing.  Since I lost control (I made a REALLY stupid mistake trying to execute a tight u-turn) I hit my head HARD going down.  Put a scar in my helmet bad enough to see, and I ripped the leather off the toe of my left boot down almost to the steel.  And I was hardly moving.  I was so embarrassed I wanted to crawl in a hole and die.  But I got up anyway and righted the bike.  My buddy looked at me and said "Boy, if you weren't wearing all that shit, that mighta left a mark on ya someplace."

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd rather be happy than sad, and dead kids are a major bummer.  That's why I recommend life jackets, helmets, supervising kids while they swim, and avoiding bronc and bull riding.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I have 3 boys, 5,7,8 and they ride/skate with full gear on.

1) They are my retirement plan, so they need the most processing speed as they are afforded

2) Man their clothes aren't cheap, pants and shorts are 20-50 bucks, I'd rather them scrape the shit out of their pads then tear holes in their pricey clothing

3) The less bleeding they do, the happier we all are.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top