Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#1]
CCI Mini-Mags are very accurate in my 10/22.

I'm not familiar with the Velocitors.  Going to give some a try if I can find them.
If they are any where near as accurate as the Mini-Mags they'd get the nod.  Impressive stats.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wolf Match Target..Although mine does like CCI Subsonic Hollow Points.
View Quote

Pretty much this. I bought a HP maker and have had good results making HPs out of Wolf Match.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The Velocitors or similar high performing 22.

Everyone knows there are far better rounds for self defense, but even my friend's 9 year old kid can put 3 or 4 shots into a coffee can sized target in 2 seconds with a 10/22. That would surely put a hurt on most threats. With these kids, I have to slow them down or they'll burn through 25 rounds in the mag in no time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#4]
It'd be one of the 40gr roundnose brands.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#5]
CCI Standard Velocity solids

They will never hear them coming.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stingers.
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mini mags.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Toe poppers , lots of em.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#9]
40 grain solids.  Penetration trumps expansion.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]
from what i have seen 40gr. round nose is slightly better than the hollow points in gel.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think my best 'burst' from my LM7 was 60 rounds.  Never have been able to get it to run properly.

I really need to sell it

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure what round but this gun looks good for SD.

http://youtu.be/7h0s_62jXuk

I think my best 'burst' from my LM7 was 60 rounds.  Never have been able to get it to run properly.

I really need to sell it

TRG

Overall length of the rounds matters more than just about anything with the lakeside AR conversions. You can read up on their forum and learn quite a bit.

My razorback is reliable on Minimags, everything else needs a little help.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Whichever one I can fire 10-30 times in rapid succession without malfunctioning.
View Quote
So Remington golden bullets are right out then.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
.22 cal guns are ammo sensitive, so reliability would be the #1 consideration.   That said, it would probably be something CCI.   The Aguila SSS are dirty, and not accurate.
View Quote

That's because the twist rate is wrong for the weight and length of the bullet. capitalist Arms makes a really nice barrel that is affordable.

For me, SHTF would mean shooting suppressed exclusively, so I'd go with CCI standard velocity. I need it to be subsonic and 39 grain to match the BDC on my Shepherd scope.

for handguns, CCI Trishock is the way to go. These used to be sold by someone else but are strictly a CCI product now. They use a Stinger case and fill it with a hyper velocity bullet that is segmented to come apart in three pieces. they offer the same bullet in the CCI Quiet Ammo now too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
CCI Velocitors(40gr 1435fps HP) without a doubt....they're plenty accurate and one of the hardest hitting .22s.
View Quote

yup.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Aguila SSS are longer than a standard .22LR. Most .22LR firearms are 1/12-1/14" twist, meaning the SSS don't stabilize. I have bricks of the stuff & none will shoot under a couple inches & keyhole at 25 yards.

It also doesn't feed well. The company recommended 1/7" rifling--especially if using a suppressor--to avoid baffle strikes.

All that said--there's a definite difference when a 60gr hits the target (it literally wobbles) vs a 40gr.

Mass is always good.

My .22 ammo choice is CCI Minimags--feeds in everything I own.
View Quote

OK, here's the deal-most barrels sold for the SSS rounds are 1:8 or 1:9. A good number of standard 1:16 barrels will stabilize the round, but they eventually keyhole beTween 100 and 150 yards. If you don't want to get a new barrel, a Paco Tool will resize them and make them stabilize better in a standard barrel.

In the right barrel, the SSS rounds are capable of amazing accuracy and buck wind a lot better than normal .22 loads. It is a specialty ammo, you have to work around its needs to get the best from it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
36 gr Mini Mag
View Quote

My choice.

I keep a 10/22 loaded with a 25-round magazine to deal with racoons getting in my garbage container out in my driveway. Those critters love getting into the garbage. And I have a big hill with woods behind my house that has many of them living there.  I actually would not mind them getting into the garbage if they would just eat some of it without spreading it all over "hell's half acre."

Now what if some night I heard something out there and took my little 10-22 loaded with CCI minimags out there to deal with that and it turned out to be the local white trash druggies  breaking into my cars parked in the driveway while they were looking for nickels, dimes and quarters to buy more drugs with?  

Yes, that's right.  They will do hundreds of dollars of damage breaking out car windows just in the hopes of finding a dollar or two of change in the console.  

And what if they were armed with a (probably) Saturday night special and shot at me?

I guess in that case I would quickly see just how good the CCI minimags really are while trying to save my life.

Although this is an improbable scenario it could happen in these times in which we live - even in a small Appalachian city like mine due to the number of poor druggies who need money between welfare checks for more nose candy or cannabis.

I don't want to ever be shot at again and I don't want to shoot at anybody (even in self-defense) but I guess a 10-22 loaded with 25 rounds of CCI minimags would be better than nothing. It could even save my life.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#17]
There are lots of vids on Youtube comparing ballistics of .22lr in gel, I'm not sure why but it doesn't seem like I can post vids on this forum.

Something like a solid CCI Mini-mag will penetrate much more than any of the hollow point high velocity rounds.  

I thought Stingers were a no-go in a 10/22?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Another vote for 40gr Win .Power Points
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CCI Velocitors.

Yep.

Velocitors or regular HV solids.

Stingers do not penetrate far enough and neither do most HP.

Subsonic I would go for Wolf MT or CCI Standard Velocity.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Minimag and take someone else's gun.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top