Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Only pictures from a roll of film to make it through the blast after photographer Robert Landsburg realized he wouldn't get away, so he stuck the film in two bags and covered it with his body.  (scan from National Geographic)

Heck of a blast.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is a Google Street View image, wide angle lens makes it look really damn small - but it's a decent size hill. Didn't used to be covered in green stuff. That whole thing is a pile of dredged ash, sitting right next to I-5 where it crosses the north fork of the Toutle River. It was a bit taller back when I was a kid, and nothing was growing on it yet - the big grey pile of ash was a very distinctive landmark as you drove along I-5.

The views before things started to grow again were amazing and damned creepy. Another trip as a kid, my dad drove us up to Mt St Helens and we were driving around on the forest service roads. One of them went right through the debris flow area - nothing bigger than small saplings and shrubs at the time, and not many of them - all rock as far as the eye could see, looking up a chute straight into the gaping side of the mountain. Really makes you feel small.

http://www.kd7bcy.com/images/arfcom/ashpile.jpg

View Quote

The Toutle River water is still white with ash being carried downstream from the eruption zone. It's not as pronounced as it used to be, but it's still white. Some years back it looked like a river of milk.

If you are ever in the region...take a day and drive up to Johnston Ridge Observatory. It's too awe inspiring to describe. Just the scope of the devastation is unfathomable. The introspection on your insignificance is life changing.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Only pictures from a roll of film to make it through the blast after photographer Robert Landsburg realized he wouldn't get away, so he stuck the film in two bags and covered it with his body.  (scan from National Geographic)

http://www.barnorama.com/wp-content/images/2012/03/last-pictures-of-robert-landsberg/01-last-pictures-of-robert-landsberg.jpg

Heck of a blast.

http://www.barnorama.com/wp-content/images/2012/03/last-pictures-of-robert-landsberg/09-last-pictures-of-robert-landsberg.jpg
View Quote

Wow, never seen those until now. RIP.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
those guys were pretty confident that it wasn't about to blow huh?

or was that after?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Was equal to about a 24 megaton bomb going off.

This crazy rock slab in the crater was growing @4-5ft everyday as was estimated at about 400+ft tall.

https://symonsez.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/sthelensrockslab.jpg

those guys were pretty confident that it wasn't about to blow huh?

or was that after?

That was after it blew.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I played out in the falling ash that day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Insurance adjuster said that it would buff right out.
View Quote

Not covered under your policy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#7]
My sister lives about 20 miles from St. Helens. It's an eerie place to visit--even 35 years later.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Naw.  Yellowstone will make Mt. St. Helens look like a little misfire.  Not even near the same orders of magnitude.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys are NOT making me feel any better about the Yellowstone caldera.

Naw.  Yellowstone will make Mt. St. Helens look like a little misfire.  Not even near the same orders of magnitude.

If Yellowstone went off the whole world would be fucked, not just a corner of WA.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

What've YOU got to worry about Yellowst... oh... WY....
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Old, but interesting, video about the eruption.

View Quote

Worth Watching.
Thanks, never saw that one!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would say that he has a legitimate concern there.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My family has a mason jar of it. A lot of it is in mason jars, hour glasses, and other containers distributed throughout the US as souvenirs.
View Quote

I was a kid in Milwaukee when it happened. I remember after a week or two, the news was full of pleas from the USPS not to mail envelopes of the ash because it was gumming up the mail sorting machines everywhere...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Scientist said it would take at least a decade or so for the magma pressure within the caldera to build up to a point where an eruption would happen. So people around Yellowstone shouldn't have any worries.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A good watch on Mount St. Helens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fArB5Jz2wos
View Quote

Great video! Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Just because the Yellowstone caldera is big doesn't mean that the eruption will be the end of the world. You never know with volcanic shit. It MIGHT kill us all, or it might just act like Hawaii...constant low energy gushing eruption for decades.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#18]
THIS looks scary! Can anyone say if this is current?

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Climate change or global warming did that.
View Quote

I thought that it was the Republicans trying to kill old people.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Mother Nature is powerful
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Healing:

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]

That's cool
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Keith Ronnholm is my dad's cousin.  He took a bunch of the time elapsed photos that everyone see's.  Its neat seeing him on tv once a year during the anniversary of the eruption.  My parents have some photos from the original negatives floating somewhere around their house.  My parents visited him about 10 years ago and he took them all around the mountain.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I had just started work at the Richland Police Dept. May 17th was my first night on graveyard and I got off shift at 6am. I went home and changed the handlines for 5 acres then hit the bed.
It wasn't long before my Mother was screaming for me that the mountain had blown. I grabbed my camera and got some pictures of the sky. I had never seen clouds like that before or since. They were like dirt (didn't think at the time they were filled with ash) and in the shape of giant puffs of cotton. With in minutes the ash started falling on us.
We got around 6 inches or so of it in the Canyon and not so much in town. I would say it was like in the films of the Dust Bowl as when you drove anyplace there was a big ash cloud behind you. You had to replace your air filter constantly.
At the time I had a 78 full size Blazer. One day that summer I took the top off and drove it to work. That night we got a teletype that St. Helens had blown an ash cloud over 20,000 ft up and it was headed our way. It covered us pretty good, leaving behind about an inch of ash. In the morning I went out to my Blazer and thats when I remembered that I had taken the top off. Shit. The inside was covered. It took 20 minutes of cleaning just to see the dash and clear the seat. When I got home I put the top back one.
A couple of weeks later my younger Brother and I went to Vancouver to see some friends. While we were there St. Helens spit out some more ash and it was a big one. We had to buy a new air filter and decided to buy two. Thankfully we did as half way home the new one clogged up.
I'll see if I can find the cloud pics and post them.
Ed

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

http://www.barnorama.com/wp-content/images/2012/03/last-pictures-of-robert-landsberg/01-last-pictures-of-robert-landsberg.jpg

Heck of a blast.

http://www.barnorama.com/wp-content/images/2012/03/last-pictures-of-robert-landsberg/09-last-pictures-of-robert-landsberg.jpg
View Quote

They found that poor guy buried 17 days later.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#27]
What caught everyone off guard was that the mountain blew sideways first and not straight up.  So while people several miles away from the north side of the mountain died, people actually working on the south side of the mountain survived.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

1 in 700,000 chance

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1 in 700,000 chance

Those odds are a lot lower now.  Something is gonna happen soon. Not sure what it is but the state of this world gives me the creeps lately.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Those odds are a lot lower now.  Something is gonna happen soon. Not sure what it is but the state of this world gives me the creeps lately.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 in 700,000 chance

Odds for Yellowstone are currently are 1 in 10,000 chance something will happen in our lifetime.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#30]
nature continues to amaze, and frighten me all at the same time....
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just because the Yellowstone caldera is big doesn't mean that the eruption will be the end of the world. You never know with volcanic shit. It MIGHT kill us all, or it might just act like Hawaii...constant low energy gushing eruption for decades.
View Quote

Two entirely different magma types. Hawaiian volcanoes expel very low viscosity, low gas content basalt lavas while those underlying Yellowstone are high viscosity, high gas content types. The longer the caldera charge cycle takes, the more gas (pressure) buildup can occur. When the magma is finally vented to the surface it'll explosively decompress and produce Plinian-style eruptions. That is, vertical ash columns, pyroclastic flows and a shit-load of tephra whose overall ejected volume is dependent on the size of the magma chamber supplying the system.

In Yellowstone's case, nothing about a ring-fracturing eruption will be considered "low energy".
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

So...the front fell off.
View Quote
no

it fell UP
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone still have that water skier pic while Mount St Helens was blowing its lid?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

To this day I still can't believe seeing the interview of a local saying they just assumed some lava would roll down the side, and that "nobody ever thought it would explode" or something to that effect.

View Quote
To be fair, a lot of volcanoes do 'explode' in that manner, leaking out a stream of lava or have some vents spitting lava a few dozen yards in the air, but for the most part behaving themselves.  Mountains literally blowing their tops is the exception.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

If Yellowstone went off the whole world would be fucked, not just a corner of WA.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, Yellowstone Caldera, when she blows we are all going back to the stone age.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn, shit blew up yo.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#38]
More then the front fell off.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#40]
That was a small zit
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

That's alot of missing rock.
View Quote

About 1 cubic mile's worth.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Amazing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Me at Spirit lake a couple years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/18uwOIr.jpg

Amazing.

The wood swamp guys wet dream

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#43]
And another picture, this is southeast of the mountain, you can see the huge swath of the lahar flow.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Two entirely different magma types. Hawaiian volcanoes expel very low viscosity, low gas content basalt lavas while those underlying Yellowstone are high viscosity, high gas content types. The longer the caldera charge cycle takes, the more gas (pressure) buildup can occur. When the magma is finally vented to the surface it'll explosively decompress and produce Plinian-style eruptions. That is, vertical ash columns, pyroclastic flows and a shit-load of tephra whose overall ejected volume is dependent on the size of the magma chamber supplying the system.

In Yellowstone's case, nothing about a ring-fracturing eruption will be considered "low energy".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep...the "stickier" the magma, the bigger the bang.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Dang, the mountain looked like pudding when it started to go.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:33:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Me at Spirit lake a couple years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/18uwOIr.jpg
View Quote

Shelby would have a field day there!  
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very interesting, but the only word that my small mind understood in that paragraph was "shit-load." lol.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Same name, different guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Randall_Truman

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wiki says President Truman is buried in Independence, Missouri.

Same name, different guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Randall_Truman

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I remember the day ash fell on us.  I was in middle school, in Maine.  Not far from the Easternmost point in the US.  
View Quote

No.   Easternmost, westernmost, and northernmost points belong to Alaska.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#50]
I just read the "18 volcanoes" article.

I've never been there (that I'm aware of) so does anyone know what direction that picture is taken from of Crater Lake?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top