Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2015 8:23:07 PM EDT
I had to unfollow half of the female part of my family on FB because of the never ending "Ask me how to make $10000 in one week with Thrive" or "All of my pain is gone, I have one million times more energy, my abs are a 6 pack of solid steel because I am losing ten pounds a minute with Thrive ask me how!!!" Type posts.

Why are people so fucking gullible? At least they aren't paying for the promo kit, but all it does is sucker them into buying the stuff themselves for about 25% more than the shit cost on Amazon.

How dare I tell them its bullshit too, talk about the wrath!!

When I ask why they still keep their day job when raking in at much dough I can't ever seem to get a straight answer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't get it either.  Nothing about any MLM scheme ever sounds sustainable,  but people still fall for it, particularly stay at home moms,  and in my area especially Mormon mom's -  you can spot them by the huge Scentscy marketing stickers on their minivans.

One of my wife's Zumba friends send her a FB message a week or so ago trying to sucker her in to making "revenue streams"  in her spare time.  Thought it was  a hacked account until she asked my wife again in person. She said it took everything not to crack up over all the buzzwords she used to describe her MLM. "Nearium"  or some crap like that was the product.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't get it either.  Nothing about any MLM scheme ever sounds sustainable,  but people still fall for it, particularly stay at home moms,  and in my area especially Mormon mom's -  you can spot them by the huge Scentscy marketing stickers on their minivans.

One of my wife's Zumba friends send her a FB message a week or so ago trying to sucker her in to making "revenue streams"  in her spare time.  Thought it was  a hacked account until she asked my wife again in person. She said it took everything not to crack up over all the buzzwords she used to describe her MLM. "Nearium"  or some crap like that was the product.
View Quote

They all say the same shit like a broken record.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I had several college friends who got conned into selling "Verve" energy drinks. What a fucking joke. Everyone told them it was folly, but they wouldn't listen to reason. Only after they lost hundreds of dollars did they quit and start to admit that they fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I never understood how people fall for it.

Here's a clue, any time somebody tells you that you have to recruit more people to make money...................run.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I should start scamming fatties.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I should start scamming fatties.
View Quote

That's what its all about. Convince people its a magic pill and shake.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Right now it's the Rodan+Fields crap
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#9]
No Facebook, no contact with family. I win.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had to suffer through a Mona Vie craze - expensive ass grape juice!!!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I must live under a rock. I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

Off to google...

ETA: Nope. Not interested.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#12]
As much as I hate to defend MLM because I almost got scammed by one at a job interview a few months ago, my mom has psoraisis really bad, and there's an Arbonne cream that she bought off of a lady in my church, and it works really well.

And Avon Skin-So-Soft is great for repelling mosquitoes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As much as I hate to defend MLM because I almost got scammed by one at a job interview a few months ago, my mom has psoraisis really bad, and there's an Arbonne cream that she bought off of a lady in my church, and it works really well.

View Quote

Deej your post makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#14]
They always target women, or maybe it's women that always fall for them. I think it's a social thing. They all get involved in MLM stuff so they can get together and buy shit from each other. Spending money and talking, it's like a chick Utopia.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They always target women, or maybe it's women that always fall for them. I think it's a social thing. They all get involved in MLM stuff so they can get together and buy shit from each other. Spending money and talking, it's like a chick Utopia.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Ugh. Speak for your own women.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#16]
My sister and advocare
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#17]
The one that is driving me nuts where I live is Plexus.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#18]
MLM is the female equivalent of neckbearding
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I think sales tactic #5 in their book is: pester friends and family until you alienate them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Made sense to me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#21]
A coworker kept trying to get me to get involved with Body By Vi. I'm not sure if it was legit or a scam but it sure smelled fishy. I stayed away.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Pretty sure Vector is a MLM scam as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#23]
A friend of mine is in a local mom group and now she's hooked on Jamberry (basically stickers for your nails). She knows I like polish etc and tried to get me to buy in (for $100 but it's less if you host a party!! ) but I politely declined. I hate all that MLM crap and being a stay at home mom is like a magnet for those women. No thank you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A friend of mine is in a local mom group and now she's hooked on Jamberry (basically stickers for your nails). She knows I like polish etc and tried to get me to buy in (for $100 but it's less if you host a party!! ) but I politely declined. I hate all that MLM crap and being a stay at home mom is like a magnet for those women. No thank you.
View Quote

My wife wont sell jamberrys and refuses every time her friend asks her to, but she does buy them from her friend.  They are actually a legit product and work very well.  They have the gel coat look to them, but you can get some great designs as well.  My wife works at ASU and gets ASU jamberrys for events and stuff.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A coworker kept trying to get me to get involved with Body By Vi. I'm not sure if it was legit or a scam but it sure smelled fishy. I stayed away.
View Quote

That's what my niece was doing before Thrive.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:32:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I took my boy over to Dunkin Donuts last week and a Mary Kay rep was recruiting some of the local SaH moms.  They were loud, inconsiderate and jammed up 3 of the small tables instead of using the 1 large on across the store. She was kind of hot though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#27]
You are going about it the wrong way OP. You need to capitalize on that hysteria.

A few years ago some neighbors were convinced they would hit it big with some new energy drink. I made a $500 bet they wouldn't break $5,000 the first year.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:45:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:55:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Nerium, Plexis, etc.  Facebook is trash.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:00:30 AM EDT
[#30]
You people need to get rich with BNR's Tetrahedron of Success.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:03:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've used Skin-So-Soft as a mosquito repellent since I was a kid. Good shit, and smells a hell of a lot better than OFF.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:09:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Advocare, Rodan+Fields, IT WORKS.

Facebook is full of it all
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:47:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pretty sure Vector is a MLM scam as well.
View Quote

Vector (Cutco knives) is definitely one where they make you pester your friends and family. They don't give you leads, you have to generate them yourself. That's the reason all these products are annoying. You have to work your own social network. Their recruiting tactics are dishonest and scammy too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I took my boy over to Dunkin Donuts last week and a Mary Kay rep was recruiting some of the local SaH moms.  They were loud, inconsiderate and jammed up 3 of the small tables instead of using the 1 large on across the store. She was kind of hot though.
View Quote

You know what they say.

It's all pink on the outside.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I had a tough time talking a family member out of wasting a bunch of money on Isagenix.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Involves more emotional blackmail, though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My sister and advocare
View Quote

the entire day shift at my work is into advocare, cleansing and shit is all they talk about. they left a sample of the spark for me taped to my computer. i work out at the physical therapy gym at night and drink muscle milk and they tried selling me on the advocare protein stuff. Sorry, I get my shit from costco for $24 for several months worth instead of hundreds of dollars a month.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#39]
That thrive shit is hilarious and garbage, but the real scam is essential oils.  Do you know any "oilers"?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Not this one, but my wife falls for all the other ones.

and my daughter fell for cutco once. once she realized what was involved, she told them no.

My wife has done almost all mentioned in the thread, and talked to me about 100% of them. I remind her that they dont work,and never will.

and Deej, when you say "i hate to defend" that usually means you're about to. But you didnt. You mentioned 2 well known and widely available long running products, not MLMstuff, so your post really doesnt make sense.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Right now it's the Rodan+Fields crap
View Quote

Same here...had to unfollow a cousin b/c of it. Non-stop. And now she's brought in one of our aunts and other friends from home town.

Apparently she does pretty well with it...as in makes more than her husband who's a production supervisor with a big manufacturer....so apparently she got in early enough

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That thrive shit is hilarious and garbage, but the real scam is essential oils.  Do you know any "oilers"?
View Quote

yup, my sister got my wife into oils.such stpuid. she thinks they actually do someting, but she's an idiot hippy at heart.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I think sales tactic #5 in their book is: pester friends and family until you alienate them.
View Quote

In order to be fairly "successful" at it...this absolutely happens.

Every time.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#45]
There must be plenty of suckers out there.  Amway doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon.

Oh, before I forget. Anyone interested in getting in on the ground floor on a calling card opportunity?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#46]
MLM companies have gotten smart and offering actual products.  For years the only "product" most of them sold was the actual business of selling "opportunities".   There were a few legit MLMs like Avon, Tupperware, and eventually Pampered Chef.  Part of the problem is that they were so focused on the downlines that they easily saturated the hell out of market areas so that everyone you knew was selling, and no one was buying.  Not to mention that the prices sucked, and the product quality was questionable.  

Once burned by an MLM, a lot of people walk away.  But there seems to be a personality type that is addicted to the concept of "easy money" and try out every new one that comes along.  

Now you have wraps, weight loss pills or powders, and other health MLM companies that the FDA is just waiting to smack for making unverified medical claims.  I see so many of those posts on Facebook where they show before and after shots of "15 minutes" in a wrap can make you look like this.  Its so obvious that they changed their posture, angle, and lighting to look a little better.  But some people are too fucking stupid to recognize it.  Some of the people selling this shit and making the claims are also spending 2-3 hours a day at the gym.  That is how they are losing the weight, not the product.  

I had a PT coordinator in the Navy that was huge into exercise and would stand in front of my unit saying "If you work out, you can look like me".  Yes, he was a short, well muscled, Lieutenant.  But we later found out that the jackass was on steroids the entire time.  He popped positive on a piss test and got caught buying.  Have fun in the brig.  

I have told my wife that she can go to the parties if she wants.  Its an ok time to socialize.  But she is not hosting any parties at our house and never getting involved with selling.  Pampered Chef was a enough.  Other than a few mixing bowls, and a few spatulas, that shit has been sold (at a huge loss) because we never used it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#47]
It's sad watching people get suckered into these things.

My sister doesn't have very good critical thinking skills.  She's gotten taken on a meal-replacement shake MLM scam, and some kind of fancy reusable grocery bag scam.  

I knew an engineer at my last job who was about to buy in to some juice MLM scam.  I had a long talk with him, showed him the Bullshit episode about MLMs.  We both left that job at the same time and I lost touch with him.  I don't know if he went through with it or not.

At my current job we've got an engineer who is becoming consumed with it.  The guy makes $110k+ as an engineer, and is a shoe-in to replace one of our program managers who is retiring soon.  For over a year he's been making comments like, "if this side thing works out, I wont have to work here much longer."  We invited him to a going-away party for another coworker, and he spent the last two hours of the party outside sitting in his truck on a "conference call" for his MLM scam.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
MLM companies have gotten smart and offering actual products.  For years the only "product" most of them sold was the actual business of selling "opportunities".   There were a few legit MLMs like Avon, Tupperware, and eventually Pampered Chef.  Part of the problem is that they were so focused on the downlines that they easily saturated the hell out of market areas so that everyone you knew was selling, and no one was buying.  Not to mention that the prices sucked, and the product quality was questionable.  

Once burned by an MLM, a lot of people walk away.  But there seems to be a personality type that is addicted to the concept of "easy money" and try out every new one that comes along.  

Now you have wraps, weight loss pills or powders, and other health MLM companies that the FDA is just waiting to smack for making unverified medical claims.  I see so many of those posts on Facebook where they show before and after shots of "15 minutes" in a wrap can make you look like this.  Its so obvious that they changed their posture, angle, and lighting to look a little better.  But some people are too fucking stupid to recognize it.  Some of the people selling this shit and making the claims are also spending 2-3 hours a day at the gym.  That is how they are losing the weight, not the product.  

I had a PT coordinator in the Navy that was huge into exercise and would stand in front of my unit saying "If you work out, you can look like me".  Yes, he was a short, well muscled, Lieutenant.  But we later found out that the jackass was on steroids the entire time.  He popped positive on a piss test and got caught buying.  Have fun in the brig.  

I have told my wife that she can go to the parties if she wants.  Its an ok time to socialize.  But she is not hosting any parties at our house and never getting involved with selling.  Pampered Chef was a enough.  Other than a few mixing bowls, and a few spatulas, that shit has been sold (at a huge loss) because we never used it.
View Quote

Saw something a while back about the before/after pics.  They are actually after/before pics.  Well muscled guy goes and works out, takes picture with oils, etc.  Then he goes and has a bunch of salty snacks, soda, pzza, etc.  Makes himself bloated, lets his stomach hang out, etc.  Takes the 'before' pic.  Nice scam.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#50]
A buddy of mine has been going to some bullshit UnFranchise seminars about turning his "everyday spending" into cash flow and is trying to recruit my wife and I into joining Market America. We just laughed at him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top