User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:43:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$40 for a clay bar?

Couldn't I do the same thing with some $8 modeling clay?
View Quote

Different kind o clay. Silly putty might work though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You can't get a speeding ticket in that car unless you are going down hill.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The hipster thing is to NOT care about your car. So bumper stickers.

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/03/CC-22-042-800.jpg

You can't get a speeding ticket in that car unless you are going down hill.

Yes you can.
The one and only time I drove a 240d, I got a warning.

I don't think the cop thought it could really go that fast, either.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I read the thread title wrong and just ruined my car

http://www.kabar.com/images/about/famous-knife/1217_h_lg.png
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's the hipster thing to do to your car. Kinda like roasting your own coffee beans, or shaving with a double edged razor/badger brush.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perhaps a little more info for the non-car-guys? I have no clue what you're talking about.

It's the hipster thing to do to your car. Kinda like roasting your own coffee beans, or shaving with a double edged razor/badger brush.

how is cleaning your car the hipster thing to do. you wash it weekly, clay it and wax it once or twice a year.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Always shocks me how much crud gets picked up in them from a clean looking car.

I don't do it as often as I should .
View Quote

This.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  People have been doing this for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perhaps a little more info for the non-car-guys? I have no clue what you're talking about.

when i first started working at a dealership in the 90s i remeber the details using clay bars occasionally on cars back then.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was doing this thirty years ago.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You literally use a bar of clay and rub it against your paint. It picks up shit embedded in the paint. It's basically a very very very very mild abrasive. Like OP shows, you may be surprised at the shit it gets out of your paint.

That said, I REALLY need to clay bar my car soon... I haven't done it in over a year. Got busy with selling the house and buying a new one... then the weather has been SHIT lately. Today is nice, but I mowed the yard and I'm fucking tired as shit.

Wash, clay bar, wash again, polish then wax.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You literally use a bar of clay and rub it against your paint. It picks up shit embedded in the paint. It's basically a very very very very mild abrasive. Like OP shows, you may be surprised at the shit it gets out of your paint.

That said, I REALLY need to clay bar my car soon... I haven't done it in over a year. Got busy with selling the house and buying a new one... then the weather has been SHIT lately. Today is nice, but I mowed the yard and I'm fucking tired as shit.

Wash, clay bar, wash again, polish then wax.

I never get around to that first step. Well, I guess when the change in ashtray accumulates sufficiently I use a pressure washer to knock the big stuff off.

#drivingabeaterisliberating
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This calling everything under the sun "hipster" meme is getting a little out of hand.

Jesus Christ, using a fucking clay bar on your paint is "hipster" now?

The word might as well be retired, because it's lost all meaning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This calling everything under the sun "hipster" meme is getting a little out of hand.

Complaining about hipster is so hipster.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol

For those that give a shit about their cars paint it removes all contaminants that has embedded itself in your paint. dirt, paint overspray etc. once it is pulled out safely by the clay you can proceeded to seal and wax it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I bet you clay bar your car today, the clay will look exactly the same as in your OP picture

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

he's obviously never tried it.
my trucks sit outside except when hail is forecast. I claybar at least once a year, and it's a huge difference.
the vehicles stay a little cleaner because they're glass-smooth.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think it makes the car easier to clean after as well and it stays cleaner looking longer.

In about 3 weeks I will be doing it to one of these :-D  Ordered it on 3/30, estimated ship date 5/7!!
http://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/image-106/dsc_3718.jpg
View Quote

I have a Scat Pack on order, too. Ordered 4/3, ESD of 5/4.

ToRed 6-speed. I still have all of my Zaino stuff from doing the GTOs when I had 'em so that's what I'll stick with for this.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#16]
During high school I worked for a auto detailer shop (mobile shop) ..... I was told it was a MUST to clay bar a car before waxing otherwise its basically pointless ..... it makes sense because of all the contamination thats actually in the paint and you don't realize until you do it
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your an IPA guy....hipster
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#18]
This thread explains the number of cars with jacked up paint and peeling clear coats that I see.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ToRed 6-speed. I still have all of my Zaino stuff from doing the GTOs when I had 'em so that's what I'll stick with for this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it makes the car easier to clean after as well and it stays cleaner looking longer.

In about 3 weeks I will be doing it to one of these :-D  Ordered it on 3/30, estimated ship date 5/7!!
http://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/image-106/dsc_3718.jpg

Sweet!!! I saw a red one with the appearance group on the freeway the other day.  It looked fantastic!!  I have a 2011 toxic orange r/t right now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
$40 for a clay bar?

Couldn't I do the same thing with some $8 modeling clay?
View Quote

You can, play-doh is good. too.  Actually the clay in you can dig up is great for clay barring.  Give it a try, it's easy to do and gives great results. Post some pics of your success when you are done!

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Only in GD could a guy clay his car and get flamed
View Quote

Taking care of the things you own is for faggots.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife and I claybared mine for the first time.  We used the Meguiars Califonia Gold.  Used the Turtle Wax Ice "liquid wax".  I can't stand the time it takes for real wax so I shoot for easy instead.  Turned out great, feels like silky glass.  Took the acid rain spots off the glass too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#23]
The sort of detailing regimens being debated here only make sense if you have a really nice car that you only drive on nice days and you have a garage to park it in.

My newest, nicest car is a '09 Civic that I've been daily driving for almost six years now. I can count on one hand all of the occasions that I've parked it in a garage. These days, I'm driving it about 2,000 miles a month.

In the last month, I've driven through two hail storms, I've been pelted and sand blasted by gravel trucks I couldn't pass fast enough, I've driven some gravel roads, and I've had so much pollen land on my car while I was at work that I've hit the windshield washers before leaving the parking lot.

Each day brings its own hazards, and every once in a while, I find myself sharing the road with some epic asshatery like this:

I drive my car through a car wash after every snow to remove salt, and I clean it just enough to keep it presentable. Clay bars? Nope.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The sort of detailing regimens being debated here only make sense if you have a really nice car that you only drive on nice days and you have a garage to park it in.

My newest, nicest car is a '09 Civic that I've been daily driving for almost six years now. I can count on one hand all of the occasions that I've parked it in a garage. These days, I'm driving it about 2,000 miles a month.

In the last month, I've driven through two hail storms, I've been pelted and sand blasted by gravel trucks I couldn't pass fast enough, I've driven some gravel roads, and I've had so much pollen land on my car while I was at work that I've hit the windshield washers before leaving the parking lot.

Each day brings its own hazards, and every once in a while, I find myself sharing the road with some epic asshatery like this:

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k620/Bassgasm1/sandtruckwtf.jpg

I drive my car through a car wash after every snow to remove salt, and I clean it just enough to keep it presentable. Clay bars? Nope.
View Quote

So are you just saying that a clay bar would be useless on your car? That's a pretty ignorant thing to say. Give it a proper hand wash and clay bar after and I think you'll be surprised. Again the pic I posted is after a year and roughly 15,000 miles.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So are you just saying that a clay bar would be useless on your car? That's a pretty ignorant thing to say. Give it a proper hand wash and clay bar after and I think you'll be surprised. Again the pic I posted is after a year and roughly 15,000 miles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k620/Bassgasm1/sandtruckwtf.jpg

Surprised by what? The damage from six years of being parked outside in midwestern weather and almost 100k miles of bugs, hail, and sediment hitting my front end?

The paint is chipped, the clear coat is pitted, and the side panels are dinged. Working to pick up tiny impurities from the clear coat is a bit pointless.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I would NEVER spend a second of my time doing something so fucking pointless as rubbing dirt on my car to clean it "better".

Fucking retarded.
Who gives a shit if your car is extra shiney.
View Quote
yawn...are you off your meds again?

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would NEVER spend a second of my time doing something so fucking pointless as rubbing dirt on my car to clean it "better".

Fucking retarded.

Who gives a shit if your car is extra shiney.

Yawn. Go claybar something.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

and there you have it... the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Clay bar removes debris stuck in your clear coat... why would you want to wax sap and other debris into your paint that normal washing doesn't remove?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and there you have it... the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Clay bar removes debris stuck in your clear coat... why would you want to wax sap and other debris into your paint that normal washing doesn't remove?

I avoid this problem by not waxing my car.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:01:10 AM EDT
[#29]
so zipping through this thread I learn that whatever is inside a fleshlight makes a car shine more better.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:12:47 AM EDT
[#30]
for all you OCD clay bar users..... don't ever take you weapon out of the safe and fire it, cause you might get some burnt powder residue in the chamber and then you'll have to use the claybar to get everything off it before you put it back in the safe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
for all you OCD clay bar users..... don't ever take you weapon out of the safe and fire it, cause you might get some burnt powder residue in the chamber and then you'll have to use the claybar to get everything off it before you put it back in the safe.
View Quote

I get not giving a shit on a daily driver that you see as an appliance, but what's with this disdain for keeping a car you REALLY like as nice as possible?

I don't get it. Using clay on your car is an easy way to remove embedded dirt, road grime, etc - it removes a shit ton more than simple washing does and with far less effort than trying to achieve the same result without it. Why the jokes?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#32]
It really makes the flavor of the food come through too.

I claybar my cast iron cookware every night.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I get not giving a shit on a daily driver that you see as an appliance, but what's with this disdain for keeping a car you REALLY like as nice as possible?

I don't get it. Using clay on your car is an easy way to remove embedded dirt, road grime, etc - it removes a shit ton more than simple washing does and with far less effort than trying to achieve the same result without it. Why the jokes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't feed the trolls. Trolls don't like having nice things.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Too much work; I'd rather watch paint dry.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's also mob mentality in action.  People in general don't give a fuck...until they see someone else giving a fuck. Then it turns into a popularity demonstration.
"Well,  if that guy and the other guy said it, it must be true. I'm gonna agree with them."
Welcome to GD.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Years ago I had a black Z28 Iroc that had swirls real bad, the clay bar eliminated them damn near completely
View Quote

Their are easier and less trendy ways to remove swirls.  We won't attempt to get in the way of hipster trendiness in this thread.

I guess as long as you have your PBR, lumberjack shirt,  and a douche hat, this process makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Their are easier and less trendy ways to remove swirls.  We won't attempt to get in the way of hipster trendiness in this thread.

I guess as long as you have your PBR, lumberjack shirt,  and a douche hat, this process makes sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Years ago I had a black Z28 Iroc that had swirls real bad, the clay bar eliminated them damn near completely

I meant to comment on this one earlier. That scenario is impossible. Clay doesn't have any abrasives in it. Without abrasives you can't cut into the clear coat or single stage paint in this case as we are talking about an old Z28. Polishing by hand doesn't generate enough heat/energy to *effectively* remove swirls either. So I think his eyes were playing tricks on him.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are simply ignorant.  Willfully so.

As is most of the fickle mob.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#39]

The paint is chipped, the clear coat is pitted, and the side panels are dinged. Working to pick up tiny impurities from the clear coat is a bit pointless.  
View Quote

Right, because you don't take care of your car.  My 2006 truck with 90K miles looks brand new, all the way around.  You think the rocks just miss me?

<----Insane car detail dude; All 5 of my cars are clean year round and 4 of those sit outside in Oregon weather.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I clay bared and waxed my Ram 2500 today.  Long and tedious process.  Many hours and about 8 Coors Lights later my truck looks great.  

My truck had small little tiny specks of rust on it.  Dealer said it was from the rail cars they are brought in on?  I'm not sure.  Anyways, they were so small you could only notice them when washing the truck but they are all gone now.  VERY pleased with the results.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I clay bared and waxed my Ram 2500 today.  Long and tedious process.  Many hours and about 8 Coors Lights later my truck looks great.  

My truck had small little tiny specks of rust on it.  Dealer said it was from the rail cars they are brought in on?  I'm not sure.  Anyways, they were so small you could only notice them when washing the truck but they are all gone now.  VERY pleased with the results.
View Quote

Don't be a cock tease, we need pics!!!

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I literally just finished.  It's too dark here now for pics.  I will try some tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Hmm.  I learned something today. Who would have guessed?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hmm.  I learned something today. Who would have guessed?
View Quote

I learn something everyday.

I spend most of my time teaching..... yet a day doesn't go by that a customer/student doesn't teach me something I didn't know.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Geez, Sub, only hipsters expect words to mean something.  Stop doing that shit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Holy shit this thread brought out the retards.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not a thing for most people.

Once you eliminate the people with no interest in cars, and then eliminate the people that can't afford really nice cars, and then eliminate the people that can't set the conditions to keep really nice cars really nice (a garage and an additional vehicle to subject to the daily wear), there's just not very many people left. To make it worth the effort in many parts of the country, you're basically talking about the automotive equivalent of a safe queen.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#49]
The way shit rusts around here, I don't bother.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I've used Optimum No Rinse maybe five years back or so. Safe to assume there is better stuff out there now though? Just getting back into all this stuff again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

clay bar'ing and doing a good detail is something most car enthusiasts are aware of. To the others that view a car and just a piece of metal to get them from point a to point b they just don't get it.

I like detail work. But i'm a car guy and enjoy any time I spend working or washing/waxing my vehicles. Chemical guys is making some really awesome stuff these days that cuts down on time/effort and gives you amazing results.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10993404_10153153925559406_7381695215744638175_n.jpg?oh=d0ba9cc16962c1aa86c142fb8f5f9395&oe=55DE7760&__gda__=1439595039_1e36dc52b7208923232d1ba687406535

Oh yea could go swimming in that blue. Everything now a days comes up CG. I remember when Zaino used to be all the rage. CG seems to be affordable and quality.

I'm a big fan of their stuff and the results speak for themselves. With the drought here in CA i'm moving away from the bucket and water wash and going to a waterless wash that has a carnuba base in it. You just wipe away the dirt then buff the left over wax and your left with a beautifully shiny car. pretty neat stuff.

I've used Optimum No Rinse maybe five years back or so. Safe to assume there is better stuff out there now though? Just getting back into all this stuff again.
That's all I've been using the last couple of years.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top