BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Its hard to tell a commander, "Look, be a good boss, leave your guys be.  They are coming off "XYZ" and they need to focus on individual skills, PME and NCO level training.  Do what you need to let them take care of themselves, their families and their careers.  Develop your company grades and don't worry about big exercises."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frankly the current army model is fairly good.   but its the only way I know.  I love to tinker with new ideas, but the model is sound.  the resourcing is iffy.
The problem is when Annex F (I think) of 350-1 gets in the way.

and college.

and dental.

you have to cycle.  you have to have down time.  you are going to have a culminating event and then restart your individual and team/squad training to incorporate new guys.  training up for WW2 is different than maintaining a professional army indefinitely.

15 years on the line is hard. If you want good NCOs on the line, you can't treat every 6 months as the most important in the world.

You say that as though it's a simple concept, capable of being understood by most folks.

Its hard to tell a commander, "Look, be a good boss, leave your guys be.  They are coming off "XYZ" and they need to focus on individual skills, PME and NCO level training.  Do what you need to let them take care of themselves, their families and their careers.  Develop your company grades and don't worry about big exercises."

All some folks care about is driving the wheels off that rental car and to hell with the long lasting components of that car.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Needs more TRADOC civilians.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

In my experience, it is just the opposite.  We used to train all the fucking time with danger close in support of moving maneuver forces.  I had an FDO in the late 90s whose first 20 or so missions were danger close while only using manual means of computation(computer shit itself in Graf).  

We fired an incredible amount of rounds pre-GWOT.  Post GWOT, that has been cut in half and maybe thirds.  Post war artillery skills are lacking.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Second, do not call for artillery support until the cannon-cockers have completed their real-world OJT during a war. Give 'em a couple of days, at least, until they get all the kinks out of their systems.

In my experience, it is just the opposite.  We used to train all the fucking time with danger close in support of moving maneuver forces.  I had an FDO in the late 90s whose first 20 or so missions were danger close while only using manual means of computation(computer shit itself in Graf).  

We fired an incredible amount of rounds pre-GWOT.  Post GWOT, that has been cut in half and maybe thirds.  Post war artillery skills are lacking.  

I shoulda put a big smiley face on that one... The time period where that was really valid was pre-Desert Storm. The Artillery branch has really come a long ways, since the era I was first training around them in the early '80s. Back then, they used to scare the ever-loving shit out of me on a regular basis, and it wasn't that uncommon a deal to have them fire long, short, or completely out of the fucking box. I was at Sill for two  years, and while I was there, they dropped rounds out by the Walmart, and by that restaurant that was on the highway up to OKC. Then, there was the Reserve/NG unit that dropped rounds out by the housing areas with 8" guns...

Went to Germany, and they put rounds off of Hohenfels, and damn near took out a farmhouse with all the accessory items. While I was there, they did that deal at Sill where they took out the training company that was on the troop trail, and a few other things down at Fort Hood. The Artillery branch back in the day had some "eetch-ues", as one of my Puerto Rican bosses used to say. That's tightened up considerably since Desert Storm. For whatever reason, I can't think of a really major artillery-related accident recently, but maybe I'm out of the loop. When you're firing shit that's ranged in tens of kilometers, mistakes are kinda hard to cover up or miss. Most of the time, when we Engineers fuck shit up, you can always bury your mistakes with a bulldozer, or two.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

TRADOC needs to die, along with the majority of the DA civilians supporting it. It has long since served out its purpose, and is now into that phase of the bureaucratic life form where it's become a positive detriment to the problems it was meant to fix.

It was bad circa 1993, when I discovered the reason they were training my ANCOC class out of five year-old obsolete manuals: The revisions were still bouncing around TRADOC for approval, and had been since the new manuals were published. Five FUCKING years, my friends. It should have taken two months to iron out the fucking changes and get them into the courses. All due to TRADOC wanting a finger in every goddamn pie they could get it into.

They're also the same lazy assholes who told me to stay in my lane when I started asking why we weren't looking into the South African armored route clearance gear back in the EARLY 1990s. We should have had that shit on tap years before 2005, when they finally got some of it over to Iraq for evaluation. Criminal neglect, that what all that shit was. People were telling them that rear-area battle was going to be an issue right after Somalia. Couldn't get them to give a fuck--It was always TRADOC blocking anything to deal with the issues of training involved, and putting a stop to any attempt to fix things. Want to know who should have been taken out and shot after that whole 507th Maintenance Company fiasco? The entirety of the people involved with TRADOC, because they're the ones who flat-out refused to let units like that go to the NTC for any sort of training. FORSCOM bears some responsibility, but TRADOC and the people who were involved in the entire training process needed to pull their heads out of their asses, and just didn't do it. We should have been including all units likely to be sliced out to divisional maneuver units in training at the training centers, and more than a few of us suggested it. We were told that it would, and I quote "Detract from training the maneuver units, upon whom the training focuses...". Yeah, well guess what? Slice units aren't surrounded by some magical force field that protects them in combat zones, and they need realistic combat training just as much as the line guys do. Maybe even more, since they're now the focus of fourth-generation warfare.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#5]
FPNI according to the big ARMY.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:23:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I say do what ever training that gets the tinfoilers all up in a storm.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

More sharp classes, so I don't rape the enemy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To you, what would an ideal training regimen be during war time and peace time?

How would you structure it?

I would imagine it would be something that would include both 'high' and 'low' intensity tactics plus newer ideas and weapons that come along.  

Looking for a bit of knowledge and discussion on the topic.

This will now be my sigline. Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:48:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Fuck that. Sergeant's Time is the biggest bullshit fad we ever put in place, and a huge part of the problem we have with training in the Army.

You want to fix training? Go burn every fucking copy of every training manual published since the mid-1980s. Break every fucking tool we use to enable micro-management. Stop idiotic training meetings that try to account for every 15-minute block of every day, six weeks out.

Here's the root problem: Most of what we're doing these days isn't fucking training. It's talking about training. It's "managing" training. It's "planning training". What it isn't is resourcing or actually, y'know, fucking CONDUCTING training.

We did a hell of a lot better back before computers and micromanagement. My semi-literate first squad leader, who couldn't consistently spell his own name on my monthly counseling statements,  had more real power and control over training time for our squad than I did as a highly-trained, more than literate SFC had over my entire fucking platoon some 15 years later. That sonuvabitch got every hour of every day of the week, most of the time, and I'd be lucky if they allowed me an afternoon every third week to do my own thing. He could assess where the troops were at as individuals, and tailor his time to fix their issues. Me? I was the monkey on the fucking chain of seven different bosses that all had collective schizophrenia when it came to prioritizing what was to be done. Usually, I'd take the five or six different "high priority tasks" to the commander and ask him "Hey, which of these do I do? I can't do all of them in the time I have...", and he'd say, bravely "They're all a priority...".

Time was, you had three major entries on the training schedule: Squad Leader's Time, Platoon Leader's Time, and Company Commander's Time. Squad leaders were responsible for individual training, precisely per doctrine. Platoon leaders were responsible for low-level collective training, and company commanders were responsible for higher-level collective training. Want to know why company commanders can't do training worth shit, any more? It's because they never plan or actually conduct it at a collective level any more, until they command a company.

Once upon a time, a PL had to plan, resource, and conduct training for his platoon for an entire week at a time. Got that? PLAN. RESOURCE. CONDUCT. Now, all he does is sit there while the company commander briefs fifty thing that will never fucking happen to the battalion staff. Used to be there were quarterly meetings, and you'd have to show what you were planning to higher. And, a highlight of that meeting would be trying to pull out of your ass why things HADN'T happened, and woe betide those who couldn't come up with a good fucking reason, like the end of the world or the CSM.

Then, the staff and higher leadership would actually LEAVE THEIR FUCKING OFFICES, and come down to inspect, coach, and mentor the junior officers and NCOs out doing the training AS IT WAS HAPPENING. You know the last fucking time I saw a senior leader out inspecting routine training? As in, a Deputy Chief of Staff for a division? It was in the NINETEEN-FUCKING EIGHTIES. You don't see that shit these days, because they're all in their fucking offices answering emails about bullshit, having sloughed off all the training responsibilities on the NCO corps with that bullshit concept of "Sergeant's Time". Fuck me to tears...

Do you know where Sergeant's Time originally came from? It grew out of a complaint made in V Corps, back in the early 1980s. The Corps commander had a sensing session with NCOs, and asked what their biggest complaint was. The NCOs said: "Hey... We're always doing collective training, and never get a chance to do individual skills or collective task skills for the troops, which means we're constantly having to stop training to teach the basics... Could we get one day a week to focus on individual skill stuff out of the SQT and CTT manuals?". Corps commander says "What? Is that a problem? Is this going on? Hmmm...".

Shortly afterwards, we got Sergeant's Time, which was supposed to be a half-day a week strictly for individual skills, which is doctrinally what NCOs are supposed to be responsible for. It was supposed to be tied into what the PL was doing, in that if he were training road crater missions, Sergeant's Time was supposed to be focusing on stuff like priming charges and tying demo knots. Good sense, right?

Only thing was, that "good idea" grew like a fucking cancer, along with the new training doctrine that came in during the late '80s. By the time I pinned on SSG, Sergeant's Time was about the only fucking training going on during a week, and it had somehow morphed into "You will only train METL tasks...".

Last time I looked, METL tasks are collective ones, by definition. And, gee, Sergeant's Time is supposed to focus on what NCOs do, so why in the fuck am I now doing the Lieutenant's job? Riddle me that, genius-boys--Why are the NCOs doing the training that the officers are supposed to be doing, eh? I've actually done time in units where the LT was totally banned from Sergeant's Time, which was fucking stupid because it was a collective task being trained, and it was the only fucking training happening. And, the higher powers wondered why the junior officers were becoming so fucking inept at training... Gee, Mr. Fuckwit Three-Star, maybe it's because they don't actually do anything like that until they get company command. Used to be the LT had to plan, resource and conduct training in week-long blocks, brief the company commander, and then stand by while the company commander briefed higher, in case there were questions. That was the majority of his job. Now, he doesn't see the nuts and bolts of that shit until he's a commander, and he looks like an idiot because he doesn't know how to make things happen, or conduct training effectively.

There's a reason that TASC is dying on the vine--Nobody uses it anymore. There's a reason most training sucks, these days, and that's because nobody knows how to do it. I had a company commander who gave me my head as a fucking squad leader, and allowed me to set up a company training session. Mostly because I opened my big mouth and told him that his training plan sucked ass, and I could do better by myself without help. By the time I got done, I had tanks, live demo, and a combined arms training session that brought in three different units to conduct a rearward passage of lines scenario with live demo, perfectly mimicking one of our METL tasks. The whole time I'm doing this, the commander and the LTs are all looking at me like I'm doing some kind of fucking wizardry, because they had not the first fucking clue that something like that was even possible. Dear God--Bring in other units? Synergize? BLASPHEMY!!! I had training resources coming in from TASC, I had the other units I went over and schmoozed with, and I got that shit done. Everybody got something out of it, and it was a fucking squad leader setting it up. I used the CO's name in vain, and quite liberally, but I was the guy out doing all the legwork, and making it happen.The fucking battalion commanders of the tankers and the infantry I went over and got involved with were all like "Holy fuck, this is GOOD TRAINING!!", and giving my commander all the credit for the whole thing. It was fucking great--We had tanks moving back, engineers doing live demo, target turnover, tankers setting off demo, lanes being closed, mine systems getting deployed, all that shit.

Wanna know what was fucked up, though? The people I was working for didn't know how to make that shit happen on their own. Why? Because WE DON'T FUCKING TRAIN THEM TO ANYMORE. We don't even remember how to do it right, down at the lowest levels. It's all high-level bullshit, which doesn't teach crap to anyone where it needs to be learnt. A Lieutenant that never gets the chance to learn how to train his platoon is never going to be a Colonel who knows how to effectively train his brigade, because he simply doesn't know how.

Fuck me, we don't even teach people how to train any more. The old BTMS system at least had a program where they came out and did "Train the Trainer" at every level, and taught how to plan, resource, and conduct training for junior NCOs, junior officers, and so forth. Now, it's a short block of time at the WLC courses, and it does nothing to really pass on the knowledge. When I went through BTMS as a Corporal, I had to show up at class with a fully planned and resourced training session, give the class, assess it, and then provide feedback to my commander on how successful I was. If I didn't show up with training aids from TASC, if my class was shit, and if my testing was fucked up, I was a no-go. They don't do that anymore, do they? Wonder why training sucks, and the people doing it don't know what the fuck they're doing?

Sergeant's Time turned into a crock right after they put it into effect Army-wide, and mostly because the people that couldn't do training used it as an excuse to slough off training onto the NCO corps, without bothering to resource or protect it. I could tell you hundreds of stories about how the assholes running the show around me made promises about time, resources, and protection, only to leave me with a driver and one troop to actually do training with on the day of Sergeant's Time. Everyone else would be tasked doing post support missions, or some other non-training bullshit.

If most of the people in the Army today could go back and look at how things were really done, back in the days before ubiquitous computers, micro-management, and uninvolved higher leadership, they'd shit bricks at how much we did, and how much actual power and control over training the NCOs had. Used to be, they'd leave you the hell alone, and you got looked at once a year during the ARTEP. They'd brief everyone on the emphasis for that year, and you'd work towards it. Fuck up on the ARTEP because your squad couldn't lay a minefield to standard? Get ready for one shitty NCOER, and a truncated career path. Fuck up getting your platoon ready for ARTEP, same-same. There was accountability, but no micro-management. A squad leader could get away with sitting around his tool room and bullshitting about the whores in Germany and Korea, seemingly making the comparisons the focus of everything the squad was doing. Thing was, if he and his guys couldn't perform, he was fucking toast. In my company at Fort Sill, they made an example out of one such character, and they put a non-promotable Sergeant over a promotable Staff Sergeant. The guy thought he was getting a platoon, and they gave him a fire team after the ARTEP where he fucked everything up. Kind of an eye-opener for him, and he pulled his head out of his ass eventually, but that's how it was done back then.

You really, really do not want my opinion on the current state of training in the Army. Suffice it to say, I think it's fucking abysmal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would imagine it would be something that would include both 'high' and 'low' intensity tactics plus newer ideas and weapons that come along.  

Start by bringing back Sergeants time!

Fuck that. Sergeant's Time is the biggest bullshit fad we ever put in place, and a huge part of the problem we have with training in the Army.

You want to fix training? Go burn every fucking copy of every training manual published since the mid-1980s. Break every fucking tool we use to enable micro-management. Stop idiotic training meetings that try to account for every 15-minute block of every day, six weeks out.

Here's the root problem: Most of what we're doing these days isn't fucking training. It's talking about training. It's "managing" training. It's "planning training". What it isn't is resourcing or actually, y'know, fucking CONDUCTING training.

We did a hell of a lot better back before computers and micromanagement. My semi-literate first squad leader, who couldn't consistently spell his own name on my monthly counseling statements,  had more real power and control over training time for our squad than I did as a highly-trained, more than literate SFC had over my entire fucking platoon some 15 years later. That sonuvabitch got every hour of every day of the week, most of the time, and I'd be lucky if they allowed me an afternoon every third week to do my own thing. He could assess where the troops were at as individuals, and tailor his time to fix their issues. Me? I was the monkey on the fucking chain of seven different bosses that all had collective schizophrenia when it came to prioritizing what was to be done. Usually, I'd take the five or six different "high priority tasks" to the commander and ask him "Hey, which of these do I do? I can't do all of them in the time I have...", and he'd say, bravely "They're all a priority...".

Time was, you had three major entries on the training schedule: Squad Leader's Time, Platoon Leader's Time, and Company Commander's Time. Squad leaders were responsible for individual training, precisely per doctrine. Platoon leaders were responsible for low-level collective training, and company commanders were responsible for higher-level collective training. Want to know why company commanders can't do training worth shit, any more? It's because they never plan or actually conduct it at a collective level any more, until they command a company.

Once upon a time, a PL had to plan, resource, and conduct training for his platoon for an entire week at a time. Got that? PLAN. RESOURCE. CONDUCT. Now, all he does is sit there while the company commander briefs fifty thing that will never fucking happen to the battalion staff. Used to be there were quarterly meetings, and you'd have to show what you were planning to higher. And, a highlight of that meeting would be trying to pull out of your ass why things HADN'T happened, and woe betide those who couldn't come up with a good fucking reason, like the end of the world or the CSM.

Then, the staff and higher leadership would actually LEAVE THEIR FUCKING OFFICES, and come down to inspect, coach, and mentor the junior officers and NCOs out doing the training AS IT WAS HAPPENING. You know the last fucking time I saw a senior leader out inspecting routine training? As in, a Deputy Chief of Staff for a division? It was in the NINETEEN-FUCKING EIGHTIES. You don't see that shit these days, because they're all in their fucking offices answering emails about bullshit, having sloughed off all the training responsibilities on the NCO corps with that bullshit concept of "Sergeant's Time". Fuck me to tears...

Do you know where Sergeant's Time originally came from? It grew out of a complaint made in V Corps, back in the early 1980s. The Corps commander had a sensing session with NCOs, and asked what their biggest complaint was. The NCOs said: "Hey... We're always doing collective training, and never get a chance to do individual skills or collective task skills for the troops, which means we're constantly having to stop training to teach the basics... Could we get one day a week to focus on individual skill stuff out of the SQT and CTT manuals?". Corps commander says "What? Is that a problem? Is this going on? Hmmm...".

Shortly afterwards, we got Sergeant's Time, which was supposed to be a half-day a week strictly for individual skills, which is doctrinally what NCOs are supposed to be responsible for. It was supposed to be tied into what the PL was doing, in that if he were training road crater missions, Sergeant's Time was supposed to be focusing on stuff like priming charges and tying demo knots. Good sense, right?

Only thing was, that "good idea" grew like a fucking cancer, along with the new training doctrine that came in during the late '80s. By the time I pinned on SSG, Sergeant's Time was about the only fucking training going on during a week, and it had somehow morphed into "You will only train METL tasks...".

Last time I looked, METL tasks are collective ones, by definition. And, gee, Sergeant's Time is supposed to focus on what NCOs do, so why in the fuck am I now doing the Lieutenant's job? Riddle me that, genius-boys--Why are the NCOs doing the training that the officers are supposed to be doing, eh? I've actually done time in units where the LT was totally banned from Sergeant's Time, which was fucking stupid because it was a collective task being trained, and it was the only fucking training happening. And, the higher powers wondered why the junior officers were becoming so fucking inept at training... Gee, Mr. Fuckwit Three-Star, maybe it's because they don't actually do anything like that until they get company command. Used to be the LT had to plan, resource and conduct training in week-long blocks, brief the company commander, and then stand by while the company commander briefed higher, in case there were questions. That was the majority of his job. Now, he doesn't see the nuts and bolts of that shit until he's a commander, and he looks like an idiot because he doesn't know how to make things happen, or conduct training effectively.

There's a reason that TASC is dying on the vine--Nobody uses it anymore. There's a reason most training sucks, these days, and that's because nobody knows how to do it. I had a company commander who gave me my head as a fucking squad leader, and allowed me to set up a company training session. Mostly because I opened my big mouth and told him that his training plan sucked ass, and I could do better by myself without help. By the time I got done, I had tanks, live demo, and a combined arms training session that brought in three different units to conduct a rearward passage of lines scenario with live demo, perfectly mimicking one of our METL tasks. The whole time I'm doing this, the commander and the LTs are all looking at me like I'm doing some kind of fucking wizardry, because they had not the first fucking clue that something like that was even possible. Dear God--Bring in other units? Synergize? BLASPHEMY!!! I had training resources coming in from TASC, I had the other units I went over and schmoozed with, and I got that shit done. Everybody got something out of it, and it was a fucking squad leader setting it up. I used the CO's name in vain, and quite liberally, but I was the guy out doing all the legwork, and making it happen.The fucking battalion commanders of the tankers and the infantry I went over and got involved with were all like "Holy fuck, this is GOOD TRAINING!!", and giving my commander all the credit for the whole thing. It was fucking great--We had tanks moving back, engineers doing live demo, target turnover, tankers setting off demo, lanes being closed, mine systems getting deployed, all that shit.

Wanna know what was fucked up, though? The people I was working for didn't know how to make that shit happen on their own. Why? Because WE DON'T FUCKING TRAIN THEM TO ANYMORE. We don't even remember how to do it right, down at the lowest levels. It's all high-level bullshit, which doesn't teach crap to anyone where it needs to be learnt. A Lieutenant that never gets the chance to learn how to train his platoon is never going to be a Colonel who knows how to effectively train his brigade, because he simply doesn't know how.

Fuck me, we don't even teach people how to train any more. The old BTMS system at least had a program where they came out and did "Train the Trainer" at every level, and taught how to plan, resource, and conduct training for junior NCOs, junior officers, and so forth. Now, it's a short block of time at the WLC courses, and it does nothing to really pass on the knowledge. When I went through BTMS as a Corporal, I had to show up at class with a fully planned and resourced training session, give the class, assess it, and then provide feedback to my commander on how successful I was. If I didn't show up with training aids from TASC, if my class was shit, and if my testing was fucked up, I was a no-go. They don't do that anymore, do they? Wonder why training sucks, and the people doing it don't know what the fuck they're doing?

Sergeant's Time turned into a crock right after they put it into effect Army-wide, and mostly because the people that couldn't do training used it as an excuse to slough off training onto the NCO corps, without bothering to resource or protect it. I could tell you hundreds of stories about how the assholes running the show around me made promises about time, resources, and protection, only to leave me with a driver and one troop to actually do training with on the day of Sergeant's Time. Everyone else would be tasked doing post support missions, or some other non-training bullshit.

If most of the people in the Army today could go back and look at how things were really done, back in the days before ubiquitous computers, micro-management, and uninvolved higher leadership, they'd shit bricks at how much we did, and how much actual power and control over training the NCOs had. Used to be, they'd leave you the hell alone, and you got looked at once a year during the ARTEP. They'd brief everyone on the emphasis for that year, and you'd work towards it. Fuck up on the ARTEP because your squad couldn't lay a minefield to standard? Get ready for one shitty NCOER, and a truncated career path. Fuck up getting your platoon ready for ARTEP, same-same. There was accountability, but no micro-management. A squad leader could get away with sitting around his tool room and bullshitting about the whores in Germany and Korea, seemingly making the comparisons the focus of everything the squad was doing. Thing was, if he and his guys couldn't perform, he was fucking toast. In my company at Fort Sill, they made an example out of one such character, and they put a non-promotable Sergeant over a promotable Staff Sergeant. The guy thought he was getting a platoon, and they gave him a fire team after the ARTEP where he fucked everything up. Kind of an eye-opener for him, and he pulled his head out of his ass eventually, but that's how it was done back then.

You really, really do not want my opinion on the current state of training in the Army. Suffice it to say, I think it's fucking abysmal.

There is a lot of truth here, but also a lot of what you say did happen, still happens.

I am currently a PL for two platoons and its my job to plan and resource training. I plan and resource that training based on my commander's intent, which he developed from the input of the BN CDR and the PSGs in my company. I further develop the training based on my PSG and SLs recommendations.

In 1 platoon there are 2 E5 SLs and 2 E4 SLs. In the other platoon there are 1 E5 and 3 E4 SLs. Yet somehow my company has 3 E5s tied up in our training room. All have deployments, and valuable experience to bring to the table. The reason they are up there in the training room is that we have directives coming from higher that require us to use DPTMS to log all of our training. That requires a fucking risk assessment for LITERALLY every minute of every day, projected 6 weeks in advance. This has absolutely ZERO positive effect on my Soldiers and the training they receive, BUT it does deprive them of valuable NCO mentorship that is being robbed from the company because the DPTMS system, schools, and training resourcing takes SO MANY MAN HOURS that we are becoming overburdened in paperwork.

As far as teaching and training the resourcing and planning part of training when I first took a PL job (15 mos ago) my CO made me plan everything my platoon did, and rightfully so, for about 6 months. After I had briefed the BC multiple times, I had built a good relationship with my PSG, and had a grasp of planning training, he had me start delegating training to my SLs and upping the amount of training on our plate. Then I began teaching them to do exactly what my CO taught me to do, but we had 2x as many events going on. The benefit though, is that as my old CO left, he taught me how to plan and taught me how to teach, so that my PSG and I are able to employ 6/8 E5/E4 SLs between now and July to run PLATOON and COMPANY level training events and keep our formation on the right track.

Collective training is the CO CDR and BN CDR's goal. NCOs will tell you what the Soldier's need to get there. LTs will resource what the NCOs need to make it happen.

but NOT if Big Army keeps getting deeper and deeper and deeper into our fucking business. Between pleasing the fucking DPTMS god and getting tasked my Soldiers aren't getting the training they need or deserve. The past two weeks I have had 2 NCOs available for 2 platoons due to bullshit taskings. And higher wants to know why we can't get shit done. We only send up a mandatory AAR slide every week essentially begging for BN and BDE to protect our planned training, but they keep shafting us and tasking us out to the rest of the army. Big Army seems to think that minute stats, log in sheets, DRAWs, timelines, TA requests, and KCTs trained on will help them get a better picture of what is going on in companies. Maybe they look at DPTMS (for a reason other than making sure we update it) and maybe they don't. I know that the Army survived (and fucking destroyed motherfuckers) with out all this micro management in the past and can in the future. Folks upstairs just need to trust and empower company commanders and Green tab leaders in those companies to train their soldiers, and they will.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:54:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There is a lot of truth here, but also a lot of what you say did happen, still happens.

I am currently a PL for two platoons and its my job to plan and resource training. I plan a resource that training based on my commander's intent, which he developed from the input of the PSGs in my company. I further develop the training based on my PSG and SLs recommendations.

In 1 platoon there are 2 E5 SLs and 2 E4 SLs. In the other platoon there are 1 E5 and 3 E4 SLs. Yet somehow my company has 3 E5s tied up in our training room. All have deployments, and valuable experience to bring to the table. The reason they are up there in the training room is that we have directives coming from higher that require us to use DPTMS to log all of our training. That requires a fucking risk assessment for LITERALLY every minute of every day projected 6 weeks in advance. This has absolutely ZERO positive effect on my Soldiers and the training they receive, BUT it does deprive them of valuable NCO mentorship that is being robbed from the company because the DPTMS system, schools, and training resourcing takes SO MANY MAN HOURS that we are becoming overburdened in paperwork.

As far as teaching and training the resourcing and planning part of training when I first took a PL job (15 mos ago) my CO made me plan everything my platoon did, and rightfully so, for about 6 months. After I had briefed the BC multiple times, I had built a good relationship with my PSG, and had a grasp of planning training, he had me start delegating training to my SLs and upping the amount of training on our plate. Then I began teaching them to do exactly what my CO taught me to do, but we had 2x as many events going on. The benefit though, is that as my old CO left, he taught me how to plan and taught me how to teach, so that my PSG and I are able to employ 6/8 E5/E4 SLs between now and July to run PLATOON and COMPANY level training events and keep our formation on the right track.

Collective training is the CO CDR and BN CDR's goal. NCOs will tell you what the Soldier's need to get their. LTs will resource what the NCOs need to make it happen.

but NOT if Big Army keeps getting deeper and deeper and deeper into our fucking business. Between pleasing the fucking DPTMS god and getting tasked my Soldiers aren't getting the training they need or deserve. The past two weeks I have had 2 NCOs available for 2 platoons due to bullshit taskings. And higher wants to know why we can't get shit done. We only send up a mandatory AAR slide every week essentially begging for BN and BDE to protect our planned training, but they keep shafting us and tasking us out to the rest of the army. Big Army seems to think that minute stats, log in sheets, DRAWs, timelines, TA requests, and KCTs trained on will help them get a better picture of what is going on in companies. Maybe they look at DPTMS (for a reason other than making sure we update it) and maybe they don't. I know that the Army survived (and fucking destroyed motherfuckers) with out all this micro management in the past and can in the future. Folks upstairs just need to trust and empower company commanders and Green tab leaders in those companies to train their soldiers, and they will.
View Quote

I'm glad there are still some small parts of the Army that still work the way they're supposed to.

DPTMS is a symptom of the problem. The higher authorities don't realize that the more power and control they reach out for, the less they have. They also don't realize that you can't plan truly effective training when you start out from the standpoint of putting everything into a straight jacket six weeks out. Too much changes, and trying to project availability and time for a lot of things just doesn't work. I don't know how many damn times I had something come up at the last minute that shot planned training in the head for some good reason, and then because of the straight jacket, we couldn't just do Sergeant's Time on Friday instead of Thursday. Or, sometimes a really good opportunity would come knocking, and we wouldn't be able to take advantage of it, because training schedule.

They always talk a good game about "Power Down", and refining from the "Bottom Up", but the fact is they are uncomfortable with giving real power to junior leaders. Equally, they don't want to listen to them, either. I could have done so many high-speed training events that it's not even funny, but every damn time one of my contacts over at the conduct of fire training center called me with an opening, I was locked into something else. The other thing that just annoyed the hell out of me was that any sign of creativity that came along had to be crushed because "nobody else is doing this".

Give you an idea of what really pisses me off, with this stuff--When 9th ID was still in existence, they bought this huge-ass kit of Soviet mine training devices from the British. All kinds of neat stuff--Electronic fuses, realistic models of the real thing, and just tons of training fidelity. I came back to Fort Lewis about six, seven years later. Came the day I had to do some mine training, I went looking for that stuff. I knew it had to be there, but... TASC didn't have it. Called down to the guys who'd been D Co., 15th Engineers, and had gone down to Fort Polk as the 199th Light Infantry Brigade, and they had no idea what had happened to it. Then, I'm randomly bullshitting with the guys from the SF Group's Engineer Headquarters section, and mention my hunt. Oh, happy day... The Group had all that shit, and they had no idea what to do with it. So, dope deal is made, and I have my training aids. Which I promptly proceeded to use the hell out of, once on a route clearance lane, and another time on an STX where the guys have to go clear a minefield. Nobody has seen anything like this crap, ever--It's all realistic models of actual Soviet mines. I put a shitload of time into those events, and everybody who went through the lane and STX thought it was amazing. Hell, I did the route clearance lane when I was running the battalion support platoon, and used the trans section for players on the lane, plus used my medics for things like moulage. When the guys going through the training lane hit my site, they went right into it, with smoking trucks, wounded players with moulage kits, and even a dude in a real body bag that would twitch when we were issuing the OPORD for the lane. Quite the production, and light-years ahead of what the rest of the battalion was doing at the same time. Had two squad leaders who'd been in Bosnia tell me that I was triggering PTSD for them, because of how close I'd gotten the scenario to what they'd had to do over there.

I got my ass chewed by the battalion XO and the CSM because they thought all the crap I did to make it come as close to reality was "distracting", and made the rest of the trainers "look bad".

Incidentally, there was only one person who ever signed that mine training kit out, whether it was 9th ID, or when the SF guys  had it. My name was on the paperwork for it three times, once when I was a squad leader in the 15th, and twice when I was the platoon sergeant in the 14th. Despite my advertising that damn thing to all and sundry, nobody else ever so much as spoke to the guys at the 15th's S2 section, or the SF Group.

You want really good training, you need to first train your junior leaders how to train. Instructional skill doesn't happen naturally--You need to identify the guys who have the knack for it, train them, and get them out in front of the troops. And, you have to foster creativity, rewarding it when they come up with stuff. You don't get good trainers out of what we're doing, these days--The old POTS worksheets are like gold, and nobody knows what they are until some old, crusty-ass fogey like me pulls them out and makes them use the damn things. Until people start making their team leaders do this stuff, like independently plan, resource, and conduct individual task training, they're not going to get it. Training skill is something that has to be actively developed, and you don't get it with what they're doing at the formal NCOES schools, anymore. It gets a lick and a promise, and that's it. Most of what I know I got from extensive coaching and mentoring from platoon sergeants, first sergeants, and the command sergeant majors. But, that was back in the pre-email dark ages, when those guys actually came around and put the fear of God into us all on a daily basis. These days? Fuck me... I had to drag quite a few of my seniors out to training, if I wanted them to show up for the troop's benefit.

Used to be, you could expect the senior NCOs around you to know their shit, technically. Not so much, anymore--My most frustrating and irritating experience with this crap came from when I was working under an engineer group CSM who later went on to become head of the schoolhouse. This guy was a flat-out massive ignoramus, and took pride in that fact. Late 1990s, I'm a line platoon sergeant in a battalion, and one of the standout problems we had was that most of my NCOs and troops did not understand the new bridge demolition doctrine or techniques. We're going to be doing a live bridge demo event out at Yakima (another one of my "deals"--I knew the Range Control guys, and there was this old timber trestle, see...), so I want to get them up to speed. Plan this week of training, using Sergeant's Time as the "run" stage of training, everything from individual tasks to platoon collective being phased starting immediately after motor stables on Monday. I'm supposed to have all this time blocked off and protected, but... The assholes at Group decide my troops need to be doing Other Things, beside training. I lose Monday afternoon, individual skills time. I figure, OK, I'm flexible, I can roll that into team tasks on Tuesday. I lose Tuesday, completely. Grit my teeth, and tell my guys "Here's the reading list... Be familiar with this shit so we're not wasting time tomorrow...". I then lose Wednesday, and discover that I'm going to have to turn Sergeant's Time into a classroom event down at the bridge. Which we do, and I'm down there bright and early Thursday morning doing all the training I should have been doing Monday through Wednesday, like some fucking troll under the bridge. Halfway through, the asshole CSM who'd fucked all that carefully planned training shows up, watches me do the training, and then has the fucking balls to start critiquing me for not teaching bridge demo right. The stupid fuck didn't even know there was a new manual out, or that the doctrine had changed so much from what he knew, which wasn't that much. I was so blown away by this I couldn't do more than stand there with my jaw open. When he started going out and telling my guys they were doing it wrong on the PE, I told the S3 Major that was out there with him that if that fucker wasn't off my training site in five minutes, the Major was going to be writing a statement about witnessing a murder.

That fucking experience was so far out of my experiences from the 1980s that it fucking hurt. I used to be able to count on having senior leaders to know their shit, and being able to back me up on training sites. This stupid fuck? Good God... I wasn't too surprised when he later came around on a schoolhouse tour to the units on Fort Lewis, and got to listen to him tell every fucking NCO in every fucking Engineer unit on post that we didn't need to worry about learning our STT stuff, 'cos the schoolhouse had this nifty little box that would be able to tell us how to do our jobs. And, you want to know what that was in answer to? I had the temerity to ask his stupid ass when they were going to finally update our STT manuals for 12B, which at that point hadn't been updated since the late 1980s. It was right about then that I decided we were fucked, to tell you the truth. This dimwit was our schoolhouse Sergeant Major, and he was also one of the key people that helped make the determination to do away with the whole STT testing program. Years later, I talked to a peer of his from when he'd been a junior NCO, and was unsurprised to learn that he'd never managed anything higher than about a 65 on the old SQT tests. That, my friends, is who we're making senior leaders, today. And, honestly--That's where the majority of the problem lies, with the senior leadership.

To this day, I still don't know what that fucking box was that the Sergeant Major was babbling about. None of my contacts at the schoolhouse knew, either. And, interestingly, this ass was a 12B. We got the revised 12B STT manuals about a month or so after he came out on his visit. He was the guy running the schoolhouse, and didn't even know when something that important was due to be published for the biggest MOS he was responsible for. Oh, yeah... Filled me with confidence, that did.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:10:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ya know, maybe if the females wore their PT belts more that shit wouldn't happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SHARP and EO classes everyday all day

Ya know, maybe if the females wore their PT belts more that shit wouldn't happen.

YOU CAN'T BLAME THE VICTIM IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT!!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

you are god damned right we do!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Drink lots and eat lots. Run 4+ miles every other day and do 30 minutes of hard calisthenics. On "off a days" play team sports like combat soccer, football, and basketball. Ruck marches of various weights and distances 4+ times a month. Take weekends off and a lot of drink beer. Do push ups and pull ups max reps 5 or more times a day, every day. Install a pull up bar at your house every time you pass it do max reps. Compete against others yourself doing various warrior tasks i.e. Field strip your M16. Whomever is slowest does 50 push ups.
View Quote

Are you a battalion commander by any chance?  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Peacetime?
Up to 50% in the Motor-pool keeping your vehicle running.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Peacetime?
Up to 50% in the Motor-pool keeping your vehicle running.

You mean cleaning up the same oil spill every day waiting for parts to fix it that will never show up?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just turn leadership over to C.A.P.E and be done with it.  

http://cape.army.mil

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Copious amounts of diversity power points.
Just turn leadership over to C.A.P.E and be done with it.  

http://cape.army.mil

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when someone finds out their next detail is CAPE.
At least the Soviets acknowledged who the Commissars were and put them on the org chart.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Training?  What the fuck is that?

For my 2nd workup we spent so much time fixing broken ass LAV's that it wasn't abnormal for us to work 14+ hour days 5 days a week.

Depending on if someone from our shop fucked up we'd come in on a saturday and field day the maintenance bay.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Army Infantry needs the time and ammo to master small arms. However, in my company that would not have fixed anything because most of our SNCOs were idiots when it came to ballistics, trajectory, etc. and God help you if a magazine hits the ground during a reload. Better retain that shit and put it in your cargo pocket.  They spent too much time worrying about the ratio of clicks to squares on the zero targets (Which, by the way they never seemed to be able to remember). Oh and let's not forget the importance of bore lighting.

If I had a magic wand, I would create Infantry warrant officers to be weapons and shooting SMEs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Just do whatever the training schedule says.

Let the XO and the Training NCO worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

All some folks care about is driving the wheels off that rental car and to hell with the long lasting components of that car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Great analogy.

The platoon/company/battalion is only theirs for 2-3 years and reset phases don't make anyone look good.

Quoted:
Just do whatever the training schedule says.

Let the XO and the Training NCO worry about it.

My training schedule is projected out 4 months, but it's completely notional.  The battalion S-3 may as well come in every morning and draw out on a whiteboard what we are doing that day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#19]
There is always FM 7-0.  Look at that.

Start with the METL. What is the mission? What are you trying to do?
Get buy in from what your boss wants.  You can go off and train on all sorts of things, if your boss is on a different azimuth...you arent getting very far.

There is basic blocking and tackling. Make the leaders write OPORDs or make plans for what they are doing.  Dont do so much the NCOs are along for the ride.
There are the basic troop leading procedures you gotta make your people do, no matter what it is.
Inspect
Rehearse
Give warning orders
Give orders.
Dont run training like some admin crap and then hope for the best in combat.

Combat arms soldiers, in my experience, think the Army is about training, and drinking.  They dont want to do anything else.  They are also like athletes. They want to win.
If you dont know what your mission will be, pick a couple things, try to achieve excellence.  Do that stuff over and over again.  People like to feel they are good at something. Dont train on 20 different things and be mediocre. Joe will know he is mediocre, and he will think his unit sucks.  

There is a great article by BG David, who commanded the 2-14 in Mogadishu. "The Supercharged battalion"  Google and read it.
Dandridge "Mike" Malone wrote Small Unit Leadership.  That has great ideas on training.

David advocated PT, as defined by roadmarches, marksmanship, and battledrills.  The ranger regiment used to have the big Four. Marksmanship, PT, battle drills, and medical.  

In today's army, with all the contradictory time wasting razzmatazz, focus on 3-5 things, get your soldiers good at that, and cut out the BS and dont waste their time.  That is what they joined the Army to do.

Good light infantry trainers I knew, would teach classes to the LTs and NCOs, explain what we were doing, let them do some local training to get the basics down, and then stressthem by a long hump all night (the PT) and then do the task they were working on.  That's cheap training.  Then talk a lot of smack about how hardcore they all are.  But you be good at something to talk the smack.  Do force on force against real people because that's fun.  Neck it down, hump all night to get there, do it. Rinse, repeat.  Train to succeed.  Dont train to have a platoon attack a position held by a company and set them up for failure.  Set a bar that can be cleared. Dont train your troops to think they suck.  Train your troops to think they are the best.  This is life and death crap here, your people want to be confident in themselves.

Personally, I think live fires are overrated. Blank force on force, againts living people, getsthe heart pumping.  Soldiers like competition. 1st platoon wants to beat 2nd platoons butt and vice versa.  The tankers are all over that with their gunnery and scores.

Frankly, if you want to learn how to train soldiers watch Bill Belichick or a good professional coach.  That's the same thing.  Dont do trick stuff, teach what you want, then do practice over and over again until your people are good at a few things.  A young troop who can qualify expert, run far and fast, hump all night and do what he is supposed to do feels good about himself, is proud to be a conbat arms guy, and is happy.  Then cut him loose and let him drink and chase girls.  Create some lo grade awards system too, If Sully is your #1 machine gunner that quarter, print up a certificate and putit in a frame and line up the whole company, talk smack about how awesome Sully is, then take him off the duty roster for a while. It's free, and then Smitty and Jonesy are busting their ass because they want the old man to tell the company what a bunch of bad asses they are.  

The biggest training probelem I saw is units that spend too much time doing 30 things and suck at everything.  Its like a playbook of 300 plays and you stink at all of them.  You may have to add a few things (like IEDs, or maybe language) but there isnt alot of cutting edge stuff out there.  If there, is its not cutting edge to you if you train for five minutes on it and half-ass it.

Also, be prepared to steal.  Read articles, see what veryone else is doing.  If it sounds like a good idea, copy it.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Engineer Company Realistic METL
-Conduct Deliberate Breach
-Emplace a Hasty Defense
-Conduct dismounted route clearance

Engineer Company actual METL
-Conduct mobility operations
Conduct counter mobility operations
conduct survivability operations
-conduct force protection

Thanks for narrowing that down, fuck heads.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
-Emplace a Hasty Defense

View Quote

LOL, my last CO literally wanted to do ALL the METL tasks.  As a Reserve company.  With no AT that year.  No amount of the Training NCO and I explaining things could get him to budge.  Fortunately he was promoted out.  He also wanted to do a ruck march every BA, just because.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Army Infantry needs the time and ammo to master small arms. However, in my company that would not have fixed anything because most of our SNCOs were idiots when it came to ballistics, trajectory, etc. and God help you if a magazine hits the ground during a reload. Better retain that shit and put it in your cargo pocket.  They spent too much time worrying about the ratio of clicks to squares on the zero targets (Which, by the way they never seemed to be able to remember). Oh and let's not forget the importance of bore lighting.

If I had a magic wand, I would create Infantry warrant officers to be weapons and shooting SMEs.
View Quote

They have those in the Marine Corps they're called Gunner.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I keep a laminated smart card on me with all adjustment ratios for every optic we own, as well as other relevant data. Everybody is a fucking genius during PMI but an idiot on the actual range.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
-Emplace a Hasty Defense

View Quote

You feel my pain. Four close to ten years, I tried to get route clearance onto our METL, in the 14th Engineer Battalion. Never managed it, and every time I snuck that task onto the schedule or piggy-backed it, I got my ass chewed.

Come 2003-04, they were teaching it to everybody while we were deployed, OJT. Fucking morons.

They were told, from Battalion up through Corps to the schoolhouse: "We're gonna be doing this, we should be training on it..."

Answer? "Nope. If we know how, they'll be expecting us to do that, and we're not interested...". The theory, as explained to me, was that if we didn't have the capability or expertise, the folks up at the National Command Authority couldn't task us with it. And, we (being the Engineer branch) wanted nothing to do with that shit.

What really pissed me off was that after it all went south, up in Iraq, I was the only real SME on the subject we had. Where did they have me? Oh, yeah... Down in Kuwait, getting logistics shit done for the brigade. Tried to help out and get involved, and was told, again "Stay in your lane... We need that stuff found and sent north more than we need you doing route-clearancy things up here...".

Right about then, that whole "Prophet without honor..." thing gained a whole lot of understanding, in my eyes.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

The entire Army needs something like this for all MOS, especially in the Combat Arms. They should have implemented the force-wide Master Gunner program for all weapons systems a long time ago, but nobody wanted to do it.

We used to have people who were expert on training everything in the battalions. They were called Sergeant Majors, but since we de-emphasized professional and technical skills in favor of looking good in a DA photo and marching troops around, those guys are no longer it. I'm not really too sure what the fuck their role is, any more, but it sure as hell isn't training excellence in most units.

I'd design a program and call it "Master Trainer", give it a bunch of good people, and have at least one or two guys in every battalion-sized unit. That NCO or warrant officer slot ought to be the capstone for a trainer's career, as opposed to the political side that the CSM slot has turned into.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Start by bringing back Sergeants time!

Ya know, my job kinda sucks in general, and my department is pretty darn disfunctional at the best of times, and periodically I get to feeling sorry for myself over the sorry state of things here.

Then I read stuff like this, and realize that by comparison I and my co-workers are frolicking naked in a field of spring flowers in comparison.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ya know, my job kinda sucks in general, and my department is pretty darn disfunctional at the best of times, and periodically I get to feeling sorry for myself over the sorry state of things here.

Then I read stuff like this, and realize that by comparison I and my co-workers are frolicking naked in a field of spring flowers in comparison.
View Quote

There are reasons they set the Retention Control Points where they do. If some of us stayed on the job much past them, we'd probably have a hell of a lot more "workplace violence" in the military. I think I was pretty damn close, about the time I retired. All it would have taken would have been a few more times where the bosses screwed up long-set training events I'd been responsible for, and I might have gone into the Consideration of Others training session that replaced my thoroughly planned, resourced, and prepared training only after having first visited the staff offices with a couple of Claymore mines.

Few things in life are more enraging than having some jackass tell you that something is high-priority for training, then allowing you to prepare for it, following that by jerking the rug out from underneath you the day of. I actually kinda got to the point of not bothering to prepare training, because I knew that the laws of the Universe and US Army would only allow that training to actually take place if I was unprepared for it, and had to pull it out of my ass at the last minute. Seriously--I don't know how, or why, but whenever I took them seriously and actually treated the event like it would happen, and thoroughly prepared myself, it never seemed to actually take place. Somewhere in my still-unpacked household goods, there's a box full of three-ring binders with prepped training events I was never able to use. Blow it off, as one of the fifty other things they always talked about happening, and which never did? Sure as shit, the day of, I'd be standing up in front of that class winging it.

Sad thing was, the stuff I pulled out at the last minute was often better than the stuff other guys spent weeks on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Im helping inserting my battle buddy's tampon, aint got no time fo training.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:05:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Im helping inserting my battle buddy's tampon, aint got no time fo training.
View Quote

Must be at ranger school.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There are reasons they set the Retention Control Points where they do. If some of us stayed on the job much past them, we'd probably have a hell of a lot more "workplace violence" in the military. I think I was pretty damn close, about the time I retired. All it would have taken would have been a few more times where the bosses screwed up long-set training events I'd been responsible for, and I might have gone into the Consideration of Others training session that replaced my thoroughly planned, resourced, and prepared training only after having first visited the staff offices with a couple of Claymore mines.

Few things in life are more enraging than having some jackass tell you that something is high-priority for training, then allowing you to prepare for it, following that by jerking the rug out from underneath you the day of. I actually kinda got to the point of not bothering to prepare training, because I knew that the laws of the Universe and US Army would only allow that training to actually take place if I was unprepared for it, and had to pull it out of my ass at the last minute. Seriously--I don't know how, or why, but whenever I took them seriously and actually treated the event like it would happen, and thoroughly prepared myself, it never seemed to actually take place. Somewhere in my still-unpacked household goods, there's a box full of three-ring binders with prepped training events I was never able to use. Blow it off, as one of the fifty other things they always talked about happening, and which never did? Sure as shit, the day of, I'd be standing up in front of that class winging it.

Sad thing was, the stuff I pulled out at the last minute was often better than the stuff other guys spent weeks on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Story of my life. My NCOs and I can't get jack or shit done because "BN taskings take priority over company training."
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#32]
It's almost funny how you guys seem to be suffering much of the same set of challenges providing good training to your guys as we do with our conscripts. Incompetence, careerism, swamping instructors with unneccessary admin crap, micromanagement, fear of outside influence, use of common sense strictly forbidden, all that bullshit.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Classes on how reflective belts help stop rape.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's almost funny how you guys seem to be suffering much of the same set of challenges providing good training to your guys as we do with our conscripts. Incompetence, careerism, swamping instructors with unneccessary admin crap, micromanagement, fear of outside influence, use of common sense strictly forbidden, all that bullshit.

View Quote

Fuck... There goes that fantasy I had about the Finnish Army. What about the Jaeger units? Same bullshit?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same shit!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:06:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Fuck... There goes that fantasy I had about the Finnish Army. What about the Jaeger units? Same bullshit?
View Quote

I guess the same bullshit is universal to all military organisations. Military culture simply tends to resist positive development and justify (and reward) shitty leadership by shitty leaders. At least in peacetime, which we honestly have lived too long to stay focused in the essential.

We also have the challenges with extremely varied stock of conscripts, far too short times in service and limited resources. The biggest problem in doing that stuff right however is the attitude that leads to pretty much to the same bullshit as mentioned above. There is plenty of good work being done by a lot of guys in the units and a lot is being done with little but there's plenty of fixing to do in the system as well before things can get done right in large scale. It'll take a war. See how your military is currently gearing for peace. It has been 70 years since we got run for real.

I was lucky to have been able to work in a good unit and I still beat myself over leaving the service last year.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top