Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2015 1:45:55 PM EDT

Tell me about your experience.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.  It was much cheaper and looks like a golf ball.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep.  It was much cheaper and looks like a golf ball.
View Quote

Details man... Details...
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#3]
PICS
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Basically half price, salvage/ damaged title and looks like a golf ball.

Actually, it doesn't look that bad.  Looks like a car that has gone through the typical parking lot wars.

It also wasn't new off the lot, but very low mile two model year old car.

It was cheap and mechanically sound. Hasn't given any trouble.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Basically half price, salvage/ damaged title and looks like a golf ball.

Actually, it doesn't look that bad.  Looks like a car that has gone through the typical parking lot wars.
It also wasn't new off the lot, but very low mile two model year old car.
It was cheap and mechanically sound. Hasn't given any trouble.
View Quote

That's awesome...

I'd love to find a new Jeep Wrangler, or F-150 at half price....

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Those paintless dent removal people can work wonders on hail damage.  Years ago wife's Accord got savaged in a hailstorm.  They fixed all of them and you could not tell it was ever damaged.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep.... I bought a 1999 Cavalier Z24 with 26 miles for about a 10th of the price. It was white and looked like a golf ball.

I sold it with 168k miles for $1k,and never had a problem with it.
View Quote

Awesome...

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:20:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Might as well get the hail damaged truck OP, you know the bigfeet at your work are gonna bang it up in the middle of the night anyway.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a deal on a 14 F150 Lariat EB 4x4 for $32000 brand new with a little hail damage. I ended up walking when i saw my insurance rates on it. The sticker price on the truck $53000, so it came out to a $21,000 discount.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes. I bought a hail damaged Hyundai sonata, loaded, salvage title, sticker was 27.5, marked down to 16000 for the damage. I paid 12500. Great car, no issues at all.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I have always wondered about this; masses seem to say it's GTG.  But what about water damage during and after the storm?  If it's bad enough to dent metal it would be bad enough to break glass, right?  Does the car smell like a wet dog?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have always wondered about this; masses seem to say it's GTG.  But what about water damage during and after the storm?  If it's bad enough to dent metal it would be bad enough to break glass, right?  Does the car smell like a wet dog?
View Quote

Nope, depends on the size of the hail and thickness of the vehicle's sheet metal.  Think about what kind of hit it would take to put a small dent in your car versus break the windshield.

ETA: About 8 years ago or so when I still had my bike my brother went out riding one Saturday evening.  Weather radar showed a storm out to the west but nothing really near us.  The storm must've been really moving because by the time we got mid-town it was on top of us and starts pouring so we took the first exit and parked under an overpass.  After a few minutes the hail starts coming down and I took this pic.  Any car passing through tried to take shelter too.  Some of the cars had hail dings but none had broken glass.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had a deal on a 14 F150 Lariat EB 4x4 for $32000 brand new with a little hail damage. I ended up walking when i saw my insurance rates on it. The sticker price on the truck $53000, so it came out to a $21,000 discount.
View Quote

Also, just a helpful tip but check for the title of the vehicle if it's a salvage title which can be done in some states for hail but not it others I would pass. Don't forget that you WILL have to to disclaim the damage to your insurance carrier in some states or they can drop you for misrepresentation
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#15]
My neighbor drives a newer Mazda 6 that she got for a song due to hail damage. Don't know what she paid but she said it was well worth it over a non damaged car
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#16]
GMC truck in Tejas.

White 4x4 2500.

Looked like a golf ball.

Got it for 45% off the 36k sticker.

Fixed it with PDR for less than 2k.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
GMC truck in Tejas.

White 4x4 2500.

Looked like a golf ball.

Got it for 45% off the 36k sticker.

Fixed it with PDR for less than 2k.
View Quote

Wow...

How long ago was this?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#18]
According to the Mythbusters, cars with golf ball dents get better gas mileage. So, don't fix it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#19]
We don't really get much hail in the northeast so I haven't seen any come up for sale around here but if you can live with the dings they sound a lot better than a flood , accident rebuild, or theft recovery salvage.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I met this girl in Yuma, Arizona, one time that had hail damaged ass cheeks.  She was giving it away for free, no discount required.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#21]
We had a freak hail storm come through our area last summer - I've never seen anything like it.  Anyway, a couple of dealerships were in the path and they cleared out the hail damaged inventory, fixing them to the point they'd pass PA inspection regarding mirrors, lights, glass, etc.  Clean titles, but plenty of dented panels.  I bought a 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium for about 13-14k under sticker.  Mine's silver - it hides the dents better than the black or burgundy cars they had, although I plan to replace the hood & trunk and get a PDR guy to deal with most of the rest at some point, but that's a ways off.  I'm just happy to have a nicely optioned, mechanically sound car for about the same money as the base model.

ETA: some had broken glass, others didn't.  I couldn't find any evidence that this one had any broken glass.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#22]
My Dad leased a 335i about 4 years ago that was hail damaged.

He never had a problem with it, but in this case they dropped the lease number way farther than they dropped a purchase number.

You could not tell it had been hail damaged.

He didn't buy it at the end of the lease, though. Mom never liked it; hard time getting in and out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I never have, but I might sometime.

Can't stand driving a dented car.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top