Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It will happen. I'm 46 and do not expect to collect a dime of SS.

Plan accordingly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, the government will default on SS and Medicare.

That would be apocalyptic.

Plan accordingly.

I don't plan on it (collecting SS) either.  If you've seen my earlier posts you know I'm Gen-X and I've gotten used to not counting on anyone but myself.  It's time anyway...

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Bro, did you even double major in English and Psychology and get a Masters in Middle English Literature and get an MBA from some online degree mill?  They are obviously more qualified that you, even thought their only work experience was to folding t-shits at Old Navy so mommy and daddy would agree to pay their sorority dues for that semester.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well they want it all now, trust me as a person who has interviewed many a millennial. Straight to manager type mentality, and the job better be glamorous.

Yep, straight from college to the executive suite, company car, admin assistant, etc..

Bro, did you even double major in English and Psychology and get a Masters in Middle English Literature and get an MBA from some online degree mill?  They are obviously more qualified that you, even thought their only work experience was to folding t-shits at Old Navy so mommy and daddy would agree to pay their sorority dues for that semester.

Hell, who wouldn't want to advance up the ladder as quickly as possible?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Once all the boomers retire, the millennial cry will be:

"This is hard, I don't want to do this, sniffle..."

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=75715
View Quote

The government is just going to stiff the boomers, lol.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's inevitable. Medicare is a tidal wave.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#5]
It all depends on if the Millenials step up to the plate. They have been given a free ride growing up and through college, then voted in the progressives who have expanded government to the point where it is unsupportable. It is time for them, to put on their big boy pants and make it happen.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know.

You probably saw the chart in one of my posts on the previous page.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I take it some of you ragging on milenials have never worked with middle aged folks either.

By far they are terribly entitled in their positions at work.

Don't want to learn new things, don't want to do things they shouldn't have to.

It isn't just young people who are entitled - bro tip: they got that skill from their parents.

Some of the worst people I've worked with have been 40-55, the epitome of incompetent and lazy, because they've been in their job forever.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You know the fun thing about statistics?  You can make them say pretty damn much anything you want.

Want to know why you don't know what you are talking about.  This chart right here:

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/fredgraph.png?g=19av

There is a substantial in young people entering the workforce beginning in the mid to late 1990's.  I wonder why that could be?  

Hmmm, but the 20 to 24 years still seem to be trying to holding their own.  Yea, they haven't recovered from the 2007/2008 crash but it isn't the under 50% as dire as you keep spouting.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/fredgraph.png?g=19az

Not all of the Y generation is as lazy or entitled as you think.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude why don't you post U6?

it's 15% at U3,.... you lie worst than OBAMA.

U6 is 15%. U3 is 10%. There I posted the U6 for you.

You didn't back up your 85% figure with any facts.  You have called me a liar twice now for defending the young people in this country that joined the military after we were attacked. You are a real winner. I hope you've been drinking, but even that's hardly an excuse.

Fat chance of that with a 46% labor participation rate... how can you only have 15% unemployment with only 46% working or seeking employment.

Ask yourself which number the .GOV is lying about.

You know the fun thing about statistics?  You can make them say pretty damn much anything you want.

Want to know why you don't know what you are talking about.  This chart right here:

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/fredgraph.png?g=19av

There is a substantial in young people entering the workforce beginning in the mid to late 1990's.  I wonder why that could be?  

Hmmm, but the 20 to 24 years still seem to be trying to holding their own.  Yea, they haven't recovered from the 2007/2008 crash but it isn't the under 50% as dire as you keep spouting.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/fredgraph.png?g=19az

Not all of the Y generation is as lazy or entitled as you think.

They are being out-competed for relatively skill-less positions that teenagers have traditionally occupied by wave after wave of third world immigrants.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I take it some of you ragging on milenials have never worked with middle aged folks either.

It isn't just young people who are entitled - bro tip: they got that skill from their parents.

Some of the worst people I've worked with have been 40-55, the epitome of incompetent and lazy, because they've been in their job forever.
View Quote

I have bitched about over-indulged, clueless, worthless, entitled, whining millennials but I have to admit I have seen some of this as well.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This thread has old man smell
View Quote

Join date?

Yup.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I know.

http://www.mikewinterbottom.com/articles/2007-02-14__Welfare_State_Stasis__CHART.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know.

http://www.mikewinterbottom.com/articles/2007-02-14__Welfare_State_Stasis__CHART.gif

And that's prior to a single, solitary boomer collecting SS or getting on Medicare. And there are 76 million of them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not really the age that's important. It's the individual in question. Those shitty 40-55 year olds were not dynamos at 27.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
And that's prior to a single, solitary boomer collecting SS or getting on Medicare. And there are 76 million of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know.

It's going to be fucking ugly.  I stick by my apocalyptic comment.  That wasn't meant to imply it won't happen.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It must be nice to be worthless old fuckers who ran the country into the ground, and blame it on your kids.
View Quote

I'm an old fucker who began as poor as dirt but started a company of my own and eventually employed 152 people and pumped literally hundreds of millions of dollars into the economy of this country and then quit working at a fairly young age..

Both of my kids have become extremely successful on their own; all I did for each of them was to pay for their college education at inexpensive state universities and they took it from there.

I honestly pity you; your attitude is destroying you from within.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They can't, they still have to support their 'kids".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How did Gen X get lumped in with the Boomers?

That's what I want to f*cking know.  

Because even though their parents died/retired after a more typical period of time, they are STILL working, STILL hampering promotion, STILL taking up positions.  After far longer periods of time than their predecessors.

In other words: employment vacancy bottleneck.

How are their "kids" supposed to get jobs if the positions they would fill can't be vacated, because those Boomers who "have to support their kids" won't retire (this is especially true in workforces where positions at the bottom don't expand, they only get vacated due to retirement-promotion cycles.

It's a catch 22, in that one generation doesn't trust the next generation.  They are going to have to stand on their own 2 feet at some point.  Ergo, that argument smacks of "boomers don't trust their kids to support themselves, so they continue working, denying their progeny the ability to support themselves."
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Once all the boomers retire, the millennial cry will be:

"This is hard, I don't want to do this, sniffle..."

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=75715
View Quote

They are living at home with their parents anyway because............no opportunity. whaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile; there's probably some guy who escaped from Cuba in a rusty Buick that was converted into a leaky boat, and who will work his ass off until he owns a successful  business of his own and who will send his kids to medical school.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Plan accordingly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plan accordingly.

I'm younger than you say I bet you do. Many of the generation before you said the same thing.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How are their "kids" supposed to get jobs if the positions they would fill can't be vacated, because those Boomers who "have to support their kids" won't retire (this is especially true in workforces where positions at the bottom don't expand, they only get vacated due to retirement-promotion cycles.

It's a catch 22, in that one generation doesn't trust the next generation.  They are going to have to stand on their own 2 feet at some point.  Ergo, that argument smacks of "boomers don't trust their kids to support themselves, so they continue working, denying their progeny the ability to support themselves."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How did Gen X get lumped in with the Boomers?

That's what I want to f*cking know.  

Because even though their parents died/retired after a more typical period of time, they are STILL working, STILL hampering promotion, STILL taking up positions.  After far longer periods of time than their predecessors.

In other words: employment vacancy bottleneck.

Is there any data to back this up?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#19]
It greatly amuses me when Boomers ramble on about Gen Y and Gen X like that whole Hippie, free love, Woodstock shit never happened. You sound just like my grandparents and great grandparents when they bitched about their kids' generations.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It greatly amuses me when Boomers ramble on about Gen Y and Gen X like that whole Hippie, free love, Woodstock shit never happened. You sound just like my grandparents and great grandparents when they bitched about their kids' generations.

View Quote

It amuses me more when millennials/Gen X'ers/Gen Y'ers ramble on and bitch and moan about us "boomers"....

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#21]
That is an interesting graphic.

"Other personal payments"?

I'd like to see the breakdown between actual social security old age benefit payments, and the "other payments to other individuals" such as SSI, federal disability, and pure welfare etc. which they lumped all together.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I think we retiree's should have our SS payments doubled. The menials er, millenials can afford it, they'll be in the workfarce whining  for a long while to go yet. I could also use some extra cash for a double mocha, frappe whatever the fuck the crap they sell at starbucks is called.
Love these threads, always good for a laugh.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think we retiree's should have our SS payments doubled. The menials er, millenials can afford it, they'll be in the workfarce whining  for a long while to go yet. I could also use some extra cash for a double mocha, frappe whatever the fuck the crap they sell at starbucks is called.
View Quote

Come to think of it; I "need" to buy another X-Five.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm planning on SS to overhaul my airplane engine....

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#25]
We're going to try, and probably fail. The past generations royally fucked things up. Math is not on our side.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes, it's called Social Security.
View Quote

it's getting thinner...

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As long as the government continues to overspend, and raid monies they hold in trust, it won't matter.

Our debt is ridiculous.  We should declare bankruptcy and start over.  Many countries have taken steps to dismiss their national debt, and they weren't nearly as deep in it as we are.
View Quote

Except our dollar is the reserve currency of the rest of the world.
Most of the world's currencies are even more worthless than ours.

Make the Dollar worthless and the rest of the world will plunge into a blackhole that will make the 1929 crash look like a pot hole in the road.
The evil that arises from that next crash will make WWII look like a school boy tussle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it's called Social Security.

it's getting thinner...

http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/public/stocks/SS-why-o-why-should-i-continue-to-pay-in.JPG

Plus they could inflate and when you get it $2,604 could be enough for food only or some such shit.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't know about anyone else but I have paid into SSI for over 50 years and I want it back, so fuck you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah, we're too lazy to work remember? We'll have to vote for whatever Dem candidate is available to get a raise for SSI, Medicaid, Welfare, and Foodstamps.

Crazy check, Medicaid, food stamps and some good old tax-free cash from under the table work bitches, that's where it's at.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't know about anyone else but I have paid into SSI for over 50 years and I want it back, so fuck you.
View Quote

Tough shit... you apparently don't know how Social Security works.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Well.  All I gotta say is this:

"The Pussy X and Y generation has to move out of their mommies "Baby Boomer" basement first, and actually get a fucking job first"!

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

whoever made that chart is very, very clever.  

it's like they studied Tufte's books very carefully and applied exactly what was needed to obfuscate reality.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Visual-Display-Quantitative-Information/dp/0961392142
http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Explanations-Quantities-Evidence-Narrative/dp/0961392126

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe not - but I do....

And I'll get all of mine back and more before I'm dead and before anyone can change it...  

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

it's like they studied Tufte's books very carefully and applied exactly what was needed to obfuscate reality.

http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Explanations-Quantities-Evidence-Narrative/dp/0961392126

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Everyone knows the "statistics don't lie, statisticians do" schtick (it's actually as overused as the statisticians lying in the first place) but what what are you getting at?

What is deceptive about a graph from OMB stats and how can you shed light on things to reveal the truth you must already know in order to call bullshit?

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

"The Pussy X and Y generation has to move out of their mommies "Baby Boomer" basement first, and actually get a fucking job first"!

http://c3.nrostatic.com/sites/default/files/styles/homepage_slideshow/public/pajama_31.jpg?itok=6O7mUlCE

View Quote

More noise from the hippie generation:

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Bail us out?....With what?

As a generation they are more concerned with having wealth redistributed to them than actually creating their own.

They may be the laziest and most entitled generation this country has ever seen, and it won't serve them well moving forward.

..And before anyone gets their panties in knot, yes there are some exceptions to the comments above.  However, there aren't enough of them.

View Quote

I'm sure you realize that this exact same statement could have been made about Baby Boomers.  

Millennials will end up having to pay into a system that almost certainly won't be around for them by the time they retire.

I certainly don't blame older generations for wanting to get "their" money back that was stolen from them for 40 years.  I also don't blame younger folks for not wanting to pay when they know they'll never get theirs back.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
https://sites.google.com/site/60sculture/hippies1.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://c3.nrostatic.com/sites/default/files/styles/homepage_slideshow/public/pajama_31.jpg?itok=6O7mUlCE

Retracted.

Actually.  Spoken by the "Give Me A Trophy, I'm Special" generation
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Spoken by the stupid.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoken by the stupid.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I like my corrected copy better
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We "Boomers" were the first generation to pay into SS not only money for the current retirees, but also for our own retirement. We hardly have that sense of entitlement that the X-gen has. When we started our careers we certainly did not expect to be paid top wages from the beginning like people do today.

Where we "Boomers" DID blow it was by spoiling our kids rotten. We fell for the trap; we bought houses so large every kid had their own room with a TV and a computer. Our kids couldn't have a POS car to drive for a few years; no, we had to get our kids NEW (or damn near new) cars to drive and they had to be the "cool ones". We mortgaged ourselves to the hilt so they could go to college.
View Quote

I'm with you on this.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Everyone knows the "statistics don't lie, statisticians do" schtick (it's actually as overused as the statisticians lying in the first place) but what what are you getting at?

What is deceptive about a graph from OMB stats and how can you shed light on things to reveal the truth you must already know in order to call bullshit?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

hint: the overall federal budgets in 1956 and 2006 were not the same, and were not the same as a percentage of GDP.  showing these two bars as equal height is quite disingenuous.  

compare, for example, military spend:  57% of the 1956 budget vs 19% of the 2006 budget.

http://federal-budget.insidegov.com/l/58/1956
57% of 447B = 255B

http://federal-budget.insidegov.com/l/109/2006
19% of 2.82T = 535B

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
hint: the overall federal budgets in 1956 and 2006 were not the same, and were not the same as a percentage of GDP.  showing these two bars as equal height is quite disingenuous.  
compare, for example, military spend:  57% of the 1956 budget vs 19% of the 2006 budget.

57% of 447B = 255B

19% of 2.82T = 535B
ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

57% of 447B = 255B

19% of 2.82T = 535B
ar-jedi

I was under the impression the chart was in percentage terms as in percent of the budget.
ETA: Hint...it is.
That is not even remotely deceptive.  Percent of budget broken down by 4 simple categories.  It is painfully simple.  No tricks, no books about clever, obscure tricks or sleight of hand from Amazon.  Just plain old what percent of budget is spent on A, B, C, and D.  Holy fuck.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Generation x gonna party till we die.
View Quote

You're god damned right.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tougher shit..............he's getting his money.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I was under the impression the chart was in percentage terms as in percent of the budget.

That is not even remotely deceptive.  Percent of budget broken down by 4 simple categories.  It is painfully simple.  No tricks, no books about clever, obscure tricks or sleight of hand from Amazon.  Just plain old what percent of budget is spent on A, B, C, and D.  Holy fuck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

57% of 447B = 255B

19% of 2.82T = 535B

ar-jedi

In this thread people are bitching about the payments made under the social security old age benefit; yet that graph lumps in social security with all "other payments to individuals" such as welfare, SSI, federal disability,......etc.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
In this thread people are bitching about the payments made under the social security old age benefit; yet that graph lumps in social security with all "other payments to individuals" such as welfare, SSI, federal disability,......etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was a fucking tangent, ok America-first?  Geez...

I'm fine with bitching about the primary bitch-objective.

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top