Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2015 8:58:35 AM EDT
I'm not talking about testing the water quality for bacteria hardness & such. I'm talking about testing the pump, gallons per minute, and what ever else they may test. Are the tests reliable or is it a "Well the pump is pumping water" type thing you're good to go.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Test the water,  I would and highly recommend it. just saw it said "not" test .

The pump if it works then it should be good (If you have decent water pressure)

Or if you want to play the better safe then sorry card, id test away.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]
4 hour minimum..often required by lenders
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have to ask, have it tested.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#4]
We just had one tested.
It lets you see how good your well is.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We just had one tested.

View Quote

on that given day during that specific time of the year.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#7]
when a well is drilled,  the driller will log the gallons the well is making and at what depths any water was hit.  Knowing this info will determine how deep to drill,  A 6 in pipe will hold roughly 1.5 gallons, so if the well doesn't make much water it will need to be deeper to have reserve. You can get all the drillers info from Div. natural resources or what its called in your area.  It will tell you well depth, how much water it makes, and the static water level,the rock layers it was drilled through.This would be a good start to know this , and then you can find out if your static water line has changed, the depth has changed due to being silted in and if you lost gallons made for various reasons.  Possible bad pump.  Depth of pump will determine how easy it will be to change it out. Been awhile since ive done the stuff, this is just a start.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

4 hour minimum? Do you mean run the pump for 4 hrs straight? Or did you possibly mean 4 gals per minute?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In what context?

Usually the driller will bail a new well to establish the GPM and recovery rate. This gets recorded with whatever county-state agency that regulates such things. Here, it's Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Soil and Water.

I can find my well log online from when it was drilled in 1974.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not talking about testing the water quality for bacteria hardness & such. I'm talking about testing the pump, gallons per minute, and what ever else they may test. Are the tests reliable or is it a "Well the pump is pumping water" type thing you're good to go.

In what context?

Usually the driller will bail a new well to establish the GPM and recovery rate. This gets recorded with whatever county-state agency that regulates such things. Here, it's Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Soil and Water.

I can find my well log online from when it was drilled in 1974.

REally? I called the county health dept and they were kind of dude what are you talking about. I did call the well driller. I am told ( I don't know this to be fact ) that that company is kind of shady. He gave me some information but was kind of vague.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
when a well is drilled,  the driller will log the gallons the well is making and at what depths any water was hit.  Knowing this info will determine how deep to drill,  A 6 in pipe will hold roughly 1.5 gallons, so if the well doesn't make much water it will need to be deeper to have reserve. You can get all the drillers info from Div. natural resources or what its called in your area.  It will tell you well depth, how much water it makes, and the static water level,the rock layers it was drilled through.This would be a good start to know this , and then you can find out if your static water line has changed, the depth has changed due to being silted in and if you lost gallons made for various reasons.  Possible bad pump.  Depth of pump will determine how easy it will be to change it out. Been awhile since ive done the stuff, this is just a start.
View Quote

We were told that the original pump was put near the bottom of the well. Silt filled in the well and ruined the pump. Also, we were told that the pump is stuck in silt at the bottom of the well. We're not sure how accurate this information is.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

4 hour minimum? Do you mean run the pump for 4 hrs straight? Or did you possibly mean 4 gals per minute?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They open faucet and let er run
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can run the pump for 4 hours and not run the well dry, you are not going to run the well dry during normal use for a single house.

Good thing to know, before you decide to depend on that well for your water.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you can run the pump for 4 hours and not run the well dry, you are not going to run the well dry during normal use for a single house.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yip, thats how I know what the 4 hours meant.

Now some wells will be slow to fill back up and a lot of ppl just use the well to fill a cistern which in turns feeds the house. No matter what property I buy with a well, im going to install a cistern as backup.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep and log the discharge rate during

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Most states have a well drillers assciation. They can also guide you to info. Be careful to not let the pump run dry or you'll burn it up if it dont kick it self off. If you can find the well cap it ussually has a tag on it that may provide some info. It is normal for all wells to be logged into the state at whatever dept for your state.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Now some wells will be slow to fill back up and a lot of ppl just use the well to fill a cistern which in turns feeds the house. No matter what property I buy with a well, im going to install a cistern as backup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is a cistern safe for drinking water
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want to make sure it will handle your water demands, then yes. My father just had a new well drilled as the original well couldn't handle demand in the summer time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#19]
It's sorta nice to know how viable your well is, but in my area the counties often require longer draw down tests  then the state requires.  I honestly think this is to serve as a groundwater resources log for future developers.  If you find out your property gets 100+ gpm and the water quality is decent, I'd shut up about it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It's sorta nice to know how viable your well is, but in my area the counties often require longer draw down tests  then the state requires.  I honestly think this is to serve as a groundwater resources log for future developers.  If you find out your property gets 100+ gpm and the water quality is decent, I'd shut up about it.
View Quote
There is a nondisclosure law for drillers

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#21]
The GPM test allows you to figure out what size pressure tank and reserve you need.

I have a 12GPM well and all we have is an 80 gal pressure tank between the pump and house.

My friend has a very slow well and they have a large 1000 gallon tank that feeds their pressure tank.
The well pump is continuously (or nearly so) refilling the 1000 gallon tank because the well recovery rate is so slow.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for the GW2 form that gets logged with the local health department.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I knew going in that I have a shallow well, and that my pump/tank is limited to 50psi, and that I will always have low GPM flow unless I invest in a deeper well.

It's enough to make my R.O. unit flow fast enough to not be completely annoying, and enough that I can take a shower without screaming for more water.

So I didn't test anything but the water quality.  I spent $200 and tested for everything, since I live in an area that has a lot of farms, and I wanted mostly to know about bacteria and organics, like pesticides, etc.

Mine came up clean, except for hardness and minerality (which I already knew about.)
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I never tested my well and my lender didn't say anything.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#25]
You're looking for production and recharge.

If you can run 4 gpm for a couple hours that's all fine and dandy but what if you go dry an hour after that and it takes a week for the well to recharge?  You want to know how much it can deliver and if it can sustain it on an ongoing basis.

Fuck, some sellers will order a water delivery and have it poured into a "dry hole" so your test indicates good delivery.  But it can't sustain it.

You probably want to get a stabilized well test if you're looking at buying.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#26]
If you're not renting/buying/selling and have good water pressure... fuck it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Absolutely.  Conductivity of the water formation varies, after initial bail out, testing will show the maximum production rate.  Then a pump can be sized so as to not over pump the well.  Most wells will test out at 4 to 8 times the ideal pumping rate.  If the pumping rate is too low, a cistern is needed.  

Yes, more expense with a cistern but well pump life will be much greater as it will have far fewer start stops over the years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I knew going in that I have a shallow well, and that my pump/tank is limited to 50psi, and that I will always have low GPM flow unless I invest in a deeper well.

It's enough to make my R.O. unit flow fast enough to not be completely annoying, and enough that I can take a shower without screaming for more water.

So I didn't test anything but the water quality.  I spent $200 and tested for everything, since I live in an area that has a lot of farms, and I wanted mostly to know about bacteria and organics, like pesticides, etc.

Mine came up clean, except for hardness and minerality (which I already knew about.)
View Quote

Our present house has had "only" 50 psi for a few years. Thats after the well guy boosted the cut out pressure up to 50psi  from 40 psi. Low end is about 30 psi. Truthfully, 50 psi is plenty for us. We do have plenty of water.

We're in the same boat, surrounded by farms. We will definitely test water for bacteria, pesticides and other stuff. I take that to the water lab myself.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you can run 4 gpm for a couple hours that's all fine and dandy but what if you go dry an hour after that and it takes a week for the well to recharge?  You want to know how much it can deliver and if it can sustain it on an ongoing basis.

Fuck, some sellers will order a water delivery and have it poured into a "dry hole" so your test indicates good delivery.  But it can't sustain it.

View Quote

So does a well driller do a stablized test? House is a foreclosure so I don't worry about water being delivered. I do worry about what prior owner may have dumped into the well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Absolutely.  Conductivity of the water formation varies, after initial bail out, testing will show the maximum production rate.  Then a pump can be sized so as to not over pump the well.  Most wells will test out at 4 to 8 times the ideal pumping rate.  If the pumping rate is too low, a cistern is needed.  

Yes, more expense with a cistern but well pump life will be much greater as it will have far fewer start stops over the years.
View Quote

They have 2 120 gal   Well Mate holding tanks in the basement. I'm told these were installed when the pump was having problems because it was in silt and not working properly. Hopefully they are no longer necessary. I would love to go to the original well driller and ask questions. Problem is they  do not have a good reputation. Whether the bad reputation is deserved or not, is questionable. It only takes one bad customer to spread vicious rumors.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
So does a well driller do a stablized test? House is a foreclosure so I don't worry about water being delivered. I do worry about what prior owner may have dumped into the well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Regarding pressure, you will probably have a pressure tank inside in the basement.  Water will come from the well to the pressure tank, then to the house.  The pressure tank can be adjusted to offer yo an amount of pressure you are happy with.

I think it's most important to test the well when it's first drilled, when it changes hands, or if you have cause for concern.

Testing it when it is changing hands is to protect your interests as the buyer.  You are about to be your own utility company basically.  You want to know this resource can deliver what you need.  I don't think you want to look to the driller for this.  You want to go to a well test/water quality company in your area.  They will probably offer several levels of testing addressing both production and quality.  When I purchased the property with a well that I currently own I did a pretty thorough batch of tests.  I wanted to know about production and a broad range of quality issues including radionuclides since I am in an area with lots of granite.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Regarding pressure, you will probably have a pressure tank inside in the basement.  Water will come from the well to the pressure tank, then to the house.  The pressure tank can be adjusted to offer yo an amount of pressure you are happy with.

I think it's most important to test the well when it's first drilled, when it changes hands, or if you have cause for concern.

Testing it when it is changing hands is to protect your interests as the buyer.  You are about to be your own utility company basically.  You want to know this resource can deliver what you need.  I don't think you want to look to the driller for this.  You want to go to a well test/water quality company in your area.  They will probably offer several levels of testing addressing both production and quality.  When I purchased the property with a well that I currently own I did a pretty thorough batch of tests.  I wanted to know about production and a broad range of quality issues including radionuclides since I am in an area with lots of granite.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you  mean like Culligan water people?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know your area but I think you should search (your county) and "private water well testing"

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They have 2 120 gal   Well Mate holding tanks in the basement. I'm told these were installed when the pump was having problems because it was in silt and not working properly. Hopefully they are no longer necessary. I would love to go to the original well driller and ask questions. Problem is they  do not have a good reputation. Whether the bad reputation is deserved or not, is questionable. It only takes one bad customer to spread vicious rumors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You say holding tanks, but the only Well Mate tanks I know are bladder tanks and the inlet/outlet is at the base and wouldn't offer a viable settling solution.  They are however required for volume and pressure cycle.   Sometimes raising the pump a foot or two can get you away from fracture that may be silting.  You need to know the static water level and have a reasonable estimate of pump draw down before adjusting the pump depth.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We just had one tested.

But never during the 1st full week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top