Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm salaried, but due to the way we bill (lots of hourly work) we have to account for 45 hours a week.  I'm usually good for 50 hrs/wk, but during certain periods I'll log in excess of 100 hrs/wk.

We have a comp time/pay policy, and end of year bonuses reflect your contribution.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
No, the chains you wear were put on by you thus you are not a slave just a run of the mill masochist.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I turned down a job like that. 45 hour work week on site, on call 24/7/365. No extra pay for a call out, it was just counted as regular time. Could have been OK if you never get a call, but what if you get called out every night and weekend for four hours and still make the same pay? Piss on that.  

ETA: I turned down a union job like that too. They were straight up about it, you WILL get called out and 24-48 hour work periods during an equipment failure would happen. As in go to work all night, get a call ticket, work all day in the field, back to work all night and get another call ticket, back out to the field until it's completed. Pay was the same every Wednesday.

I told them they had the worst union ever.
View Quote

I would turn down an on call 24/7/365 job no matter how much it paid.  I like to have a drink every now and then.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You are a peon if you are not the owner just remember that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My boss would have to leave for any of that to change, and I am the mostly likely replacement.

You are a peon if you are not the owner just remember that.

And if you're the owner you're still just a slave to the government anyways.

Can't win. Unless, of course, you work in/for the government. 'MURICA!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Some lawyers bill for a lot more than 168 hours/week.

No I'm not a lawyer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL, this thread delivers. I work 168 hours a week. Bet you can top that!

Some lawyers bill for a lot more than 168 hours/week.

No I'm not a lawyer.

They're lawyers. They make their living by lying. Of course they bill for more hours than exist in a week.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The other advantage is that you can work as many hours you want and no one complains.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only advantage salary has is that you know what you'll be making every week.

The other advantage is that you can work as many hours you want and no one complains.

Bosses complain about overtime?

Not where I work!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
People call and email me at fucking midnight. I worked over 70 hours in the past week and I don't get any additional compensation at all. I make the same thing I made as a scheduled employee with roughly 50 hours a week and I have ten times the responsibility. I must be retarded to do this shit.  
View Quote
You a boss?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I agree. Most owners love the job and they can make it hard on themselves. I am part owner in a dairy service and equipment company. That company is my life and has been since my teens. It really is a way of life.

Dont get me started on those fucking robots and teat scrubbers. What a pain in the ass. One day the tech will be there. Its a novelty now.

Our guys maintain their equipment but if a loader gets 4 to 7k hours on it in a year then how long will it really last?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of my customers are dutch and very cheap. You have to be to stay in business. They are nice though but very direct and can be unfair about money.

The large dairies we have use hugh dollar tractors but the flipside is they are worn out junk within 2 years. Id be cheap too if i had to try and stay afloat. Very high overhead.

Most dairy farms own their "owners" because they made it that way. Not doing daily maintenance on a $200K tractor is normal here as well because they don't want to pay someone to do it. They also like putting in $5K teat sprayers at the end of the rotaries which cost them $300K in cell counts because they don't want to pay a couple of guys $50K a year to do the job.

I agree. Most owners love the job and they can make it hard on themselves. I am part owner in a dairy service and equipment company. That company is my life and has been since my teens. It really is a way of life.

Dont get me started on those fucking robots and teat scrubbers. What a pain in the ass. One day the tech will be there. Its a novelty now.

Our guys maintain their equipment but if a loader gets 4 to 7k hours on it in a year then how long will it really last?

There are 8,760 hours in a year, 7k hours is unusual for things like ships, locomotives and 797 mining trucks which they try to run 24/7.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I am salaried (a very high one)...but if I work anything over 40 hours I am compensated at a higher rate of pay for every extra hour.

I generally only work 4 hours a day though and get paid my regular salary.

A few weeks ago I had to work 84 hours a week to get two projects done (7x12).
I was out of town, so I also got per diem....$14K a week paychecks are sweet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fuck Unions!!!!! The have and have nots!! Iam salary now. I know more than
those workers. This line will fuckin work, the time study and my boss said so.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I have worked 187 hour weeks for the past 187 years.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There are 8,760 hours in a year, 7k hours is unusual for things like ships, locomotives and 797 mining trucks which they try to run 24/7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Most of my customers are dutch and very cheap. You have to be to stay in business. They are nice though but very direct and can be unfair about money.

The large dairies we have use hugh dollar tractors but the flipside is they are worn out junk within 2 years. Id be cheap too if i had to try and stay afloat. Very high overhead.

Most dairy farms own their "owners" because they made it that way. Not doing daily maintenance on a $200K tractor is normal here as well because they don't want to pay someone to do it. They also like putting in $5K teat sprayers at the end of the rotaries which cost them $300K in cell counts because they don't want to pay a couple of guys $50K a year to do the job.

Dairy cows have to be fed every day; typically two split feedings. Some operations will feed overnight as required. The loader(s), tractor(s), and TMR mixer(s) easily run 4000 hours a year. 4000/365= 10.95 hrs/day.

ETA: It seems that no one in this thread realizes that their employer estimates the employees annual cost and sets the salary or wage accordingly, including overtime. No hourly worker is getting anything "extra."

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

You're a dairy farmer, too?

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You a boss?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

People call and email me at fucking midnight. I worked over 70 hours in the past week and I don't get any additional compensation at all. I make the same thing I made as a scheduled employee with roughly 50 hours a week and I have ten times the responsibility. I must be retarded to do this shit.  
You a boss?

Of roughly thirty people. And the lowest paid one makes more money than I do because of OT.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Or he should be developing employees and systems that prevent this being necessary.  

This is the most common situation I see with people who transfer from hourly to salary, generally into a supervisory position.  They assume their new responsibilities are just the same as their old ones with a minor change in pay or position.  Say a lead machinist, promoted to machine shop supervisor.  He thinks now, that since he was answering technical questions, solving programming or tooling issues, directing which order to do work in, that as supervisor his responsibilities include all of that with the addition of hiring/firing/discipline.  When he should no longer be doing any of that, he should be developing other employees to do that, or putting a system in place to reduce some of that, or delegating in other ways.

Unfortunately most people, from my perspective, lack the ability to trust others enough to delegate, even when they intellectually understand that people will need to try and fail before being successful, they're not willing to entertain allowing that to happen "when they can just do it themselves faster/better."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your pay rate should take that into consideration meaning that you are making considerably more than an hourly employee.  If not, time to talk to the boss.

Quoted:

Or he should be developing employees and systems that prevent this being necessary.  

This is the most common situation I see with people who transfer from hourly to salary, generally into a supervisory position.  They assume their new responsibilities are just the same as their old ones with a minor change in pay or position.  Say a lead machinist, promoted to machine shop supervisor.  He thinks now, that since he was answering technical questions, solving programming or tooling issues, directing which order to do work in, that as supervisor his responsibilities include all of that with the addition of hiring/firing/discipline.  When he should no longer be doing any of that, he should be developing other employees to do that, or putting a system in place to reduce some of that, or delegating in other ways.

Unfortunately most people, from my perspective, lack the ability to trust others enough to delegate, even when they intellectually understand that people will need to try and fail before being successful, they're not willing to entertain allowing that to happen "when they can just do it themselves faster/better."

Probably best post so far in the thread.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course. Also, I am a trillionare. I have my own island nation, conplete with modern air force, army, and navy.

For fun, I fire up my personal F4 Phantom and blast target drones out of the sky.

Also, I made $87,000,000,000 just last year neckbearding 22lr and cheap acogs from amazon.com.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Of course. Also, I am a trillonare. I have my own island nation, conplete with modern air force, army, and navy.

For fun, I fire up my personal F4 Phantom and blast target drones out of the sky.

Also, I made $87,000,000,000 just last year neckbearding 22lr and cheap acogs from amazon.com.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course. Also, I am a trillonare. I have my own island nation, conplete with modern air force, army, and navy.

Is it Ireland?

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why? I'm salaried, fuckers try that shit I dont answer the phone. When they complain I tell them I'm not compensated for after-hours work.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why? I'm salaried, fuckers try that shit I dont answer the phone. When they complain I tell them I'm not compensated for after-hours work.  

I'd replace you if you worked in my department. Simple as that.

As was pointed out earlier, salaried employment comes with a shit ton of "quality of life" benefits and is sometimes balanced out with a little bit of off hours "shit sammich."

I'm the BOSS and I answer my phone at midnight when an employee calls with a problem. Once you've moved to a position where we stop monitoring your time for how much you're getting for free, we also stop monitoring your time for how much of it we're getting for free.

If you're a rockstar and produce what we need in 10 hours a week and spend the rest of your time playing golf, hitting the range or home drunk, IDGAF.

If, however, you're important enough to us to be on salary and you habitually don't answer calls after hours or say shit like "I'm not compensated for after-hours work," you're just going to be out of a good job and some other professional can have your slot. Makes no difference to me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Is it Ireland?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it Ireland?

Shhhhh!! Don't tell anyone.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#20]
You guys on salary should apply for my bosses job.  He doesn't do shit. He gets to drink and rent hotels on the company dime less than 2 hours away from the office.  All hail Commander Cost Effective!!!!1!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:55:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You guys on salary should apply for my bosses job.  He doesn't do shit. He gets to drink and rent hotels on the company dime less than 2 hours away from the office.  All hail Commander Cost Effective!!!!1!
View Quote

But do you get good pencils in the office supply cabinet?

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I make myself irreplaceable then do whatever the hell I want. I have worked 16 hours a week for years making >100k/year

Work smart not hard. I am a special case though. I am a software architect, meet all deadlines, exceed expectations.

I am the man that you don't want to fall into enemy hands.
View Quote

LOL.  If an architect disappeared for 2 years, would anyone even notice?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Whats this office supply cabinet you speak of?   I recall something that had supplies we used back in the day, but that was back when we had competent drunks, I mean bosses.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Whats this office supply cabinet you speak of?   I recall something that had supplies we used back in the day, but that was back when we had competent drunks, I mean bosses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If he's so incompetent, why aren't *you* doing his job?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, I asked myself the same question, that's why I took "his" job. Turns out competent people don't do it because they have brains.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Work for the family business, shit even if I'm on vacation I've got calls from my Uncle Sam to get me to do work-
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You know, I asked myself the same question, that's why I took "his" job. Turns out competent people don't do it because they have brains.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you should have negotiated a better deal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I don't want it.  I could have had it back in the day.  Its not worth the headache.  I would also never take a job as a manager in "the DM graveyard" as my old DM called it before we got rolled into that district.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I've had 3 salary jobs. First one was awful. If I took 15 min extra for lunch, I was forced to take vacation time.

Perfect example of why that was worst salary job ever. Took 10 extra minutes at lunch came back in and boss (CFO) was pissy told me to take 10 min of vacation time. fine. The night before i had work until 7, and that night I worked until 6. WTF.

Next salary job was a bit better. I could show up to work or back  from lunch 15-20 late and no one cared. But I did work late for parts of the year regularly so it all evened out.... kinda.

Current job is salary job and it's unusually awesome.  Come in late ? Cool. Leave early? Cool. Long as I get my shit done and our department is meeting goals, it's all good.

Plus. I REALLLLY hate punching a clock
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't negotiate with a company that has an annual revenue in the tens of billions. Unless you're a labor union or a major customer.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You don't negotiate with a company that has an annual revenue in the tens of billions. Unless you're a labor union or a major customer.

View Quote

You negotiate with EVERYONE who is offering money for your services .... period. Fuck, I negotiate on nearly every purchase in excess of 500 dollars, regardless of the venue.

The fact that you seem to think you "had" to accept the pay, hours and OT leads me understand why you think it's slavery. Apparently you don't understand how an employment decision making process works, from either side of the arrangement.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:25:13 AM EDT
[#32]
It also depends on the field..... In LE, the higher you move up in rank the less work you have to do. We are all salary in a sense, but still do time cards. Rotating shift work is hell on your sleep schedule when you start having court dates, training dates, and random meetings...

But Once you reach a certain rank you get on a 'true salary'.at this point you get a substantial raise where your going to be pretty comfortable with money.  No more being on the streets making cases.... No more 0530 on the spot shift briefing and ass chewing.... Instead you get to mosey into your office at 10am......return your emails, walk around and be seen...... Then break for lunch... Take long as looooong as you want.... then go to the gym..... By now it's almost 5pm and time to go home.  So you come in, be seen, joke around with some people then go home....... LTs and above at my department are pretty set. The only headache they have is me writing to many tickets, making to many drug cases, and not enough  'checking property'! .   They hate it when I funk with them, I can't help it sir I wasent looking.   They ran a stop light then there was a bag of weed. It always just falls fin my lap. I don't know what to do...... I'm sorry a house was broken into again while I musta been out doing something else!!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:34:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Mileage will vary. But some of the numbers people posting make what my friends who have done 15 to closing in on 25 years, and three plus tours in the Army, and Marine Corp sound easy. There is no way some of you are pulling, or pulled the hours you say a day for months to years at a time. I can't buy it. Your either out of your mind from sleep deprivation, or insomniacs cutting your life short on coffee, Red bulls, or the civilian sized Rip-It's sold at some Dollar Generals.

Done my share of 90 hour weeks hourly. I start seeing sounds, and hearing noises, and recalling talks with the boss that never happened after about 75 hours. Hell only186 hours in a 7 day week. Course that was being a Assistant manager of a gas station for a year before the chain was sold out. But dang those who can push that for years and decades? Your Superman versus me, and my veteran budies. I need 4 hours of sleep a day at the very least.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:08:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Just my opinion, but if you are a salaried worker with a high school plus education (meaning HS grad with at least some college or tech training) that works over 70+ hours a week and doesn't make $150,000/yr with 6 weeks of vacation, 2 weeks of personal days, pension plan, and paid health, dental, vision, you are getting screwed and it's time to send out the resumes.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:08:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Mileage will vary. But some of the numbers people posting make what my friends who have done 15 to closing in on 25 years, and three plus tours in the Army, and Marine Corp sound easy. There is no way some of you are pulling, or pulled the hours you say a day for months to years at a time. I can't buy it. Your either out of your mind from sleep deprivation, or insomniacs cutting your life short on coffee, Red bulls, or the civilian sized Rip-It's sold at some Dollar Generals.

Done my share of 90 hour weeks hourly. I start seeing sounds, and hearing noises, and recalling talks with the boss that never happened after about 75 hours. Hell only186 hours in a 7 day week. Course that was being a Assistant manager of a gas station for a year before the chain was sold out. But dang those who can push that for years and decades? Your Superman versus me, and my veteran budies. I need 4 hours of sleep a day at the very least.

View Quote

I haven't pulled those kind of hours, but it can be a very real thing for the oil and gas fields.

80-90 hrs a week is common.

At one major oilfield company here their regular schedule for the yard guys is 91 hrs a week. 7 days/13 hrs a day.

Now I don't imagine most last for decades.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:09:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just my opinion, but if you are a salaried worker with a high school plus education (meaning HS grad with at least some college or tech training) that works over 70+ hours a week and doesn't make $150,000/yr with 6 weeks of vacation, 2 weeks of personal days, pension plan, and paid health, dental, vision, you are getting boned and it's time to send out the resumes.
View Quote

That is a little unrealistic there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:31:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just my opinion, but if you are a salaried worker with a high school plus education (meaning HS grad with at least some college or tech training) that works over 70+ hours a week and doesn't make $150,000/yr with 6 weeks of vacation, 2 weeks of personal days, pension plan, and paid health, dental, vision, you are getting boned and it's time to send out the resumes.

Not in my opinion or experience.  If it is truly a professional salaried job (and not just a reclassification of what was previously an hourly employee - don't get me started on that one), then it should pay that.  I would allow for a 5 year build up to that level of benefit in some cases.   Otherwise there are jobs out there that are still hourly or semi-skilled jobs with an overtime component that will pay that amount (or more) with close to the same benefits without being someones bitch with off work hours that are truly your own.  Have been there and done both.  Good companies will treat their salaried workers well or compensate them highly for the time they do put in.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:18:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well, you had better go back, otherwise your masters may find you and whip you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I worked salary for Coke Cola.  Toward the end I was making about 6$ per hour.  I turned in my credit card and my car keys and walked out.

Well, you had better go back, otherwise your masters may find you and whip you.

He probably wasn't there long.  He can't even spell Coca-Cola
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:30:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not in my opinion or experience.  If it is truly a professional salaried job (and not just a reclassification of what was previously an hourly employee - don't get me started on that one), then it should pay that.  I would allow for a 5 year build up to that level of benefit in some cases.   Otherwise there are jobs out there that are still hourly or semi-skilled jobs with an overtime component that will pay that amount (or more) with close to the same benefits without being someones bitch with off work hours that are truly your own.  Have been there and done both.  Good companies will treat their salaried workers well or compensate them highly for the time they do put in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Salary amount is actually a big consideration when classifying exempt vs non-exempt, plus things like having operational or production decision making power, the ability hire/fire, and a few other things.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:42:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Thank you for validating my decision to leave management to the "smart people". Sometimes I feel insecure when all the supervisors stand off to the side in a circle and talk amongst themselves. I now know what they're saying, and I'm glad I'm not in that conversation.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:51:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Here's the scam they pull on gov contractors:  
You work more than 40 in a week - tough... you're salaried, no more $ for you.

You work 39 hrs in a a week - you put a vacation/sick hour on your time sheet or get paid for 39.

Such a deal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#42]
I can work 60 hours a week and get paid for every one.

Blue collar jobs are looked down on but my paychecks are awesome.

I spent the first decade in salary jobs. One was great, the others so-so. This week I made twice what I got at my last salary job.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:29:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Salary amount is actually a big consideration when classifying exempt vs non-exempt, plus things like having operational or production decision making power, the ability hire/fire, and a few other things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More so in the past.  Not so much anymore when they relaxed the rules on whom businesses could reclassify as exempt.  Saw way too many friends jobs  move to exempt when they relaxed the classification rules.  They still put in the 70+ hours as they did before, but no longer get the overtime pay as they did in non-exempt.  The company sold it to them with what seemed like an alright salary.  By the time the first year ended, most were working for less pay as exempt when total hours were factored in than they had as non-exempt.  That executive order that relaxed the classification rules was not done to benefit the employee.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:44:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I can work 60 hours a week and get paid for every one.

Blue collar jobs are looked down on but my paychecks are awesome.

I spent the first decade in salary jobs. One was great, the others so-so. This week I made twice what I got at my last salary job.
View Quote

I respect the hell out of blue collar jobs and the workers.

My industry, they have to hire the starting exempt employees off the street or college campuses.  The new grads think they are walking into a great job.  They quickly learn that every single non-exempt employee they supervise, makes quite a bit more than they do with way better benefits, retirement, etc.  And when they go home, they are still a slave to answering the phone or being called in.  The industry still will take non-exempt in to fill exempt positions.  But those are usually the newest employees.  Non-exempts that move to exempt, can at any time tell the company to shave it and go back to non-exempt.  Many have over the last 10 years.  When they get close to retirement, the former non-exempts almost always go back to their non-exempt positions because the non-exempt entry into retirement is much better.  And yes, it is a unionized industry.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:48:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You can walkaway.

Hardly slavery
View Quote

100%

I make a show of shutting off the company cell phone as I'm walking out the door. This is not a hobby, I do not work for free.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You really need to set expectations on what constitutes a reason to call you and put competent people doing their jobs so you aren't getting called.  You also have to stop being the one to do it for them.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do every time it's eval time.  You do negotiate the pay and benefits you are willing to work for.    I see why you consider yourself a slave.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I haven't pulled those kind of hours, but it can be a very real thing for the oil and gas fields.

At one major oilfield company here their regular schedule for the yard guys is 91 hrs a week. 7 days/13 hrs a day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The service companies that work shut downs and turnarounds will work hours like that for months out of the year.  It wasn't that long ago that come and meth were very common in those groups and now it's red bulls and monsters by the case.   It's hard on them though.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The service companies that work shut downs and turnarounds will work hours like that for months out of the year.  It wasn't that long ago that come and meth were very common in those groups and now it's red bulls and monsters by the case.   It's hard on them though.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've worked turnarounds when I was younger and you're comparing apples to oranges.

The main difference is that working 7/12s for 4 months isn't a "career move," it's a job. You're making time and a half around lunch on Thursday and Sundays are double time. You get into a rhythm of work, eat, sleep, repeat BUT you see the light at the end of the tunnel. You can SEE the point where you finally have time to spend all the money you're making. Also, in those industries, turnover is a motherfucker. Attrition rates make McDonald's labor forces look like a stable proposition.

What these guys are discussing are making choices that lock them into a LIFETIME of that kind of dedication. I'd guess only about 2 or 3 percent of the human population is capable of being truly productive for those kinds of hours, on a protracted timeline.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#50]
i wonder how many companies actually pay their non-exempt salaried employees overtime like they're supposed to?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top