Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

130 hours a week for 35 years?  Ok.......  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ive been on call 24/7 for my entire career while on salary.

I knew that when i agreed to compensation bc im not a special fred. I take pride in being the workhorse that holds this company together. While everyone is gallivanting around the countryside i make things happen.

Ive gotten everything that was agreed on and done everything i can to do my job. I never understood this 40 or 50 hour horseshit but i work in an industry where you would be terminated for working those hours. Ive had to part ways with several guys that refused to work our normal schedule.

I had a new guy last year that commented that he was tired bc i had worked him 60 hours a week for 4 months ( we were slow) my customer looked at him like he was speaking arabic. The customer had no clue how working 60 hours and being tired would be tied together bc he had worked 90 to 130 hours a week for 35 years and he is never tired.

That isn't what he said.

Lately I'm feeling what it's like to be BohrAdam ...  seriously ...   stay off my lawn
you stupid fuckers !

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Stop answering the phone and checking email at midnight.  Go home at 5:00. Problem solved.
View Quote

Too simple for op.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm salaried but get to bill for any extra hours I work, including nights I'm on call.  I usually get an extra 10 hours or so per pay period (2 weeks).  I do have to work every bit of my 40 hours per week but get to take an hour+ lunch and punch no time clock so it doesn't matter if I'm late to work or need to take off a couple hours early for something.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:27:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Since swapping jobs (went from hourly to base salary + hourly OT) I have worked no less than 50hr weeks. My base salary is less than the hourly job, but coming and going at my time, a company truck, and better retirement are well worth it. It doesnt hurt that Ill clear 100k in OT this year either. I am not "on call", but I am expected to return all calls within 24hrs (pays 4hrs OT if I have to do it on a sunday!) and must be able to respond within 30min in case of emergency (call in or hit the radio). I have to account for my time to the hour, but thats just so we can bill to the right people. If you dont like salary, you need to learn how to make it work for you or get a different job.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:27:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What industry are you in that permits that type of schedule?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew that when i agreed to compensation bc im not a special fred. I take pride in being the workhorse that holds this company together. While everyone is gallivanting around the countryside i make things happen.

Ive gotten everything that was agreed on and done everything i can to do my job. I never understood this 40 or 50 hour horseshit but i work in an industry where you would be terminated for working those hours. Ive had to part ways with several guys that refused to work our normal schedule.

I had a new guy last year that commented that he was tired bc i had worked him 60 hours a week for 4 months ( we were slow) my customer looked at him like he was speaking arabic. The customer had no clue how working 60 hours and being tired would be tied together bc he had worked 90 to 130 hours a week for 35 years and he is never tired.

Dairy industry. Cows are milked 24 hours a day so it takes long hours to keep things going at times.

I grew up in it. I was in my 20s before i realized that our schedules arent the norm. I didnt know anything else. I enjoy it but i have learned to limit my hours. I try to stick around 65 to 75 hours bc i have a family now. My dad is 60 and still goes 14 hours a day, 5.5 or 6 days a week with a 1 hour commute each way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#6]
This is why I don't answer my phone or look at emails after 5:00.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:28:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

More like a case he is "at work 130 hours a week".

Nobody can be productive at such rates and are probably counter-productive at levels above 60 hours a week. If your company needs to run its staff past 60 hours routinely it means your company is not being run optimally. The guy who works 90-130 a week for 35 years is an unbalanced individual and his life and family will reflect this statement.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:29:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Delusional ones.    

Everyone is replaceable. Everyone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One apparently populated with morons...
Delusional ones.    

Everyone is replaceable. Everyone.

I can see an average of say 90 to 100 hour weeks during outages, shutdowns, and turn around for say six or nine months maybe per year. Even then with the restrictions about onsite time at most places now it would be hard to hit those numbers consistently throughout the year. No one is consistently doing hitting those 100 plus hours while working for a large business in industry for 52 weeks a year, let a lone 35 years straight. Most workman's comp companies push the responsibility back onto the employer after 16 as well I believe, so a lot of employers won't assume that sort of liability on a consistent basis. During crashes or extended wash ups it is one thing, but not consistently.

I have worked at plants that the security guards call your cell phone, plant contact, and start hollering for you over the hook on the gai-tronics system when you hit their time out which is typically a max of 16 at most places. Thirty years ago, hell even 15 years ago, but not today for just an every day work week.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

People call and email me at fucking midnight. I worked over 70 hours in the past week and I don't get any additional compensation at all. I make the same thing I made as a scheduled employee with roughly 50 hours a week and I have ten times the responsibility. I must be retarded to do this shit.  
View Quote
Speak it brother.

People get mad at me for taking time off, get shitty about out of office replies or refer to, emails.

Don't get me started about not returning calls or texts. They don't listen to your message and there's no way to let them know your unavailable via text.

I purposely spend time out of range of digital communication.

deal with it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My guess is hospitality.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:31:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

it's a benefit curve. probably first level salaery and low level managers get screwed. once you get to director its all upside.
View Quote

No way, you get screwed as the new guy, but you get fucking raped as the boss. Any director that is a piker, probably isn't a very good director or manager.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

12 to 18 hours a day for 7 days a week for 35 years?

It's safe to say he's either worth many many millions or he's a fucking idiot.  Those are really the only two possibilities.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's safe to say he's either worth many many millions or he's a fucking idiot.  Those are really the only two possibilities.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

14,000 cows plus farmground and milking barns would be worth around 70 or 80 million. Most of those guys carry a lot of debt though. Most of us love it. Its peaceful being around cows. Our families all work at the dairies, our friends. Its a way of life and not just a job.

My family has farmed and milked cows since the 1800s but im the last one in the young generation that stayed with it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:35:34 AM EDT
[#14]

I'm salary.

Sometimes I come in late and leave early. Sometimes I come in early and leave late.

I come and go as I please, no one asks where I've been - ever.

Sometimes I can't sleep at night because I'm mentally making plans concerning work.

Averaging a year's time I bet I'm in the office 40-45 hours/week.

I do it this way on purpose, that's always what I thought salary was.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:37:23 AM EDT
[#15]
lmao....maybe you should.......unionize.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, you're such a workhorse. How ever do you find time to post? Hopefully not using your employers computers and networks. So are you working at the moment? Or posting? Make up your mind chief.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:41:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

No arfcom thread about salary is complete without a post like this.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:43:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wow, you're such a workhorse. How ever do you find time to post? Hopefully not using your employers computers and networks. So are you working at the moment? Or posting? Make up your mind chief.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont work those hours anymore. As i said in another post i keep mine around 70 hours. For me that is a good balance and leaves me time for hobbies and family.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Dairy industry. Cows are milked 24 hours a day so it takes long hours to keep things going at times.

I grew up in it. I was in my 20s before i realized that our schedules arent the norm. I didnt know anything else. I enjoy it but i have learned to limit my hours. I try to stick around 65 to 75 hours bc i have a family now. My dad is 60 and still goes 14 hours a day, 5.5 or 6 days a week with a 1 hour commute each way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dairy farmers are notoriously tight fisted at least here in Australia. No matter the milk price they pay people shit, treat their workers like arseholes and drive around in $200K new tractors and whinge like women. Ive never met one who wasn't a complete prick. Holland has been turning out guys with AG Degrees and are coming here to work as "farm managers" for larger dairies and getting permanent residency. They soon tell their bosses to fuck off when they get what they want.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:44:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

14,000 cows plus farmground and milking barns would be worth around 70 or 80 million. Most of those guys carry a lot of debt though. Most of us love it. Its peaceful being around cows. Our families all work at the dairies, our friends. Its a way of life and not just a job.

My family has farmed and milked cows since the 1800s but im the last one in the young generation that stayed with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh look, the obligatory BS post where someone claims to work 168 hours a week, and also makes sure to frame it as if anyone working less is lazy.

Protip: If you're working those hours, you're a total sucker, and I don't care what you're compensated with.

ETA: My family owns a tobacco farm. The only way you could say you work 70 hours a week is if you really stretch it and pretend anything other than sleep and watching TV is "working".
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Dairy farmers are notoriously tight fisted at least here in Australia. No matter the milk price they pay people shit, treat their workers like arseholes and drive around in $200K new tractors and whinge like women. Ive never met one who wasn't a complete prick. Holland has been turning out guys with AG Degrees and are coming here to work as "farm managers" for larger dairies and getting permanent residency. They soon tell their bosses to fuck off when they get what they want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of my customers are dutch and very cheap. You have to be to stay in business. They are nice though but very direct and can be unfair about money.

The large dairies we have use high dollar tractors but the flipside is they are worn out junk within 2 years. Id be cheap too if i had to try and stay afloat. Very high overhead.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:51:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Oh look, the obligatory BS post where someone claims to work 168 hours a week, and also makes sure to frame it as if anyone working less is lazy.

Protip: If you're working those hours, you're a total sucker, and I don't care what you're compensated with.

ETA: My family owns a tobacco farm. The only way you could say you work 70 hours a week is if you really stretch it and pretend anything other than sleep and watching TV is "working".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read my post. I only work 70. I didnt mean to imply that less is lazy. I meant that it is idiotic to agree to a wage but not have a clear understanding of what it requires. When i agreed to a wage i knew id work 70ish hours a week. Thats common here. Why would someone not take the workload into account.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:51:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Are you exempt or non-exempt?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:59:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Read my post. I only work 70. I didnt mean to imply that less is lazy. I meant that it is idiotic to agree to a wage but not have a clear understanding of what it requires. When i agreed to a wage i knew id work 70ish hours a week. Thats common here. Why would someone not take the workload into account.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Reread your own post...

Quoted:

I never understood this 40 or 50 hour horseshit but i work in an industry where you would be terminated for working those hours. Ive had to part ways with several guys that refused to work our normal schedule.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:59:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I am sure that there are many other people who would like to have your job.

If you feel that you are being taken advantage of ....quit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:01:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking Protip:  Animals require more "work" than tobacco plants.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:02:11 AM EDT
[#27]
amen.  I'm running between 10 and 12 hours actually onsite, then emails all night to try and keep up, and my asshole boss (who's going to be a multimillionaire in about a month) thinks we're slacking.

I'm slowly dying,  the second this company sells, I'm out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:04:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Reread your own post...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reread your own post...

Quoted:

I never understood this 40 or 50 hour horseshit but i work in an industry where you would be terminated for working those hours. Ive had to part ways with several guys that refused to work our normal schedule.

I did not mean that is lazy. What i was trying to say is that when a job needs done, it needs done. If something comes up that is important and your response is "well i worked 40 hours, good luck" then that is a pretty piss poor way to go through life.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and answer the phone at night or w/e it takes to help out. If your job only takes 40 hours then good, if you dont help your team get the job done bc it puts you one hour over then thats pretty low in my book.

Itd be the same as someone in our industry saying they already worked 60 hours so they couldnt be on call that weekend. They would and should be let go. For agriculture 60 is the same as 40 in an office job. Its the bare minimum you can work to really be full time if that makes any sense.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:04:31 AM EDT
[#29]
LOL, this thread delivers. I work 168 hours a week. Bet you can top that!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:05:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Most of my customers are dutch and very cheap. You have to be to stay in business. They are nice though but very direct and can be unfair about money.

The large dairies we have use hugh dollar tractors but the flipside is they are worn out junk within 2 years. Id be cheap too if i had to try and stay afloat. Very high overhead.
View Quote

Most dairy farms own their "owners" because they made it that way. Not doing daily maintenance on a $200K tractor is normal here as well because they don't want to pay someone to do it. They also like putting in $5K teat sprayers at the end of the rotaries which cost them $300K in cell counts because they don't want to pay a couple of guys $50K a year to do the job.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
amen.  I'm running between 10 and 12 hours actually onsite, then emails all night to try and keep up, and my asshole boss (who's going to be a multimillionaire in about a month) thinks we're slacking.

I'm slowly dying,  the second this company sells, I'm out.
View Quote

Fitting screen name.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:06:52 AM EDT
[#32]
My hospital is trying to get the specific type of nurse I am to go to salary.  NP's had to make the transition a couple years ago.  The administrative staff came around asking us what we "thought"...most of us flat out said we would give our two weeks.

Give up call pay, OT, CNI, shift diff, and weekend diff...lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd make like a banana and leave
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:08:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Most dairy farms own their "owners" because they made it that way. Not doing daily maintenance on a $200K tractor is normal here as well because they don't want to pay someone to do it. They also like putting in $5K teat sprayers at the end of the rotaries which cost them $300K in cell counts because they don't want to pay a couple of guys $50K a year to do the job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The large dairies we have use hugh dollar tractors but the flipside is they are worn out junk within 2 years. Id be cheap too if i had to try and stay afloat. Very high overhead.

I agree. Most owners love the job and they can make it hard on themselves. I am part owner in a dairy service and equipment company. That company is my life and has been since my teens. It really is a way of life.

Dont get me started on those fucking robots and teat scrubbers. What a pain in the ass. One day the tech will be there. Its a novelty now.

Our guys maintain their equipment but if a loader gets 4 to 7k hours on it in a year then how long will it really last?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:11:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting a drink o' water Boss. Muss be nice in the big house up yonder, sho is Boss.

Dude, you're part of the problem, and you've been fooled, lied to, and used.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:12:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I did not mean that is lazy. What i was trying to say is that when a job needs done, it needs done. If something comes up that is important and your response is "well i worked 40 hours, good luck" then that is a pretty piss poor way to go through life.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and answer the phone at night or w/e it takes to help out. If your job only takes 40 hours then good, if you dont help your team get the job done bc it puts you one hour over then thats pretty low in my book.

Itd be the same as someone in our industry saying they already worked 60 hours so they couldnt be on call that weekend. They would and should be let go. For agriculture 60 is the same as 40 in an office job. Its the bare minimum you can work to really be full time if that makes any sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reread your own post...

Quoted:

No...a piss poor way of going through life, is being owned by your job...personally...I don't live to work.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:13:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Getting a drink o' water Boss. Muss be nice in the big house up yonder, sho is Boss.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive been used to make a profit. Any employees worth is only a function of what profit they make their company. I have been fortunate and have no complaints on my wages. I get burned out but ive been treated fairly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:17:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Sucks if you were "moved" into a salaried position.

Most folks who are salaried chose it at some point thinking "they won't do xxxxxxxxx".

I think of your situation every time someone raves about their new job with no fixed hours or OT.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:17:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No...a piss poor way of going through life, is being owned by your job...personally...I don't live to work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reread your own post...

Quoted:

Im not owned by my job. My way of life is agriculture. When i get done working on dairies i go home and tend my small herd of cows with my dad and wife on what is left of our family land. My dream is to one day retire so i can farm and run cattle every day. Agriculture is not just a job for me, thats what makes me happy. Thats what you guys keep missing.

If you just work a "job" then yeah i guess who gives a darn. I have never had that kind of dead end job.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:19:23 AM EDT
[#40]

LOL @ the 170hr/week farmers !

THEY'RE ANIMALS, turn them lose in a field and take a nap for chris sake!

They shit in the field and eat grass and shit. You don't need to supervise them.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's a real bummer when your men are on double time and you're making the same thing as if you'd worked an hour.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only advantage salary has is that you know what you'll be making every week.

Totally unlike hourly where you make 40 hours pay plus time and a half or double time for any additional work after 40 hours. That would absolutely suck to make Double time for a Sunday call.

It's a real bummer when your men are on double time and you're making the same thing as if you'd worked an hour.

When you hit 40 go home.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:21:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They shit in the field and eat grass and shit. You don't need to supervise them.

View Quote

Silly guy. Modern dairy cows live their entire life without ever touching grass or even going outside at a lot of dairies. How do you propose to milk cows if you let them run away into the pastures and fields?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Most folks who are salaried chose it at some point thinking "they won't do xxxxxxxxx".

I think of your situation every time someone raves about their new job with no fixed hours or OT.
View Quote

I love it.  I am given huge leeway on how and when to do my job, and I am not a slave to a time clock.  As long as I produce results, they don't care how long I take for lunch or if I decide to run an errand, leave early, or come in late....within reason.  That is what salary is suppose to be like IMO.  You should be trusted to get the work done with little oversight on petty things.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:23:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Silly guy. Modern dairy cows live their entire life without ever touching grass or even going outside at a lot of dairies. How do you propose to milk cows if you let them run away into the pastures and fields?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you just squeeze their cow titties into the jug.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:26:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. In the parlour, which is a building with machines not a field.

Its actually sad but kind of funny when a dairy cow gets out into a field if it has never been in one. They go apeshit and start running around like they just got freedom and dont know what to do then they try to go back in the building they came from.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:28:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Fucking Protip:  Animals require more "work" than tobacco plants.

View Quote

Oh boohoo, maybe do like every other sensible person and hire some help?

Please, I'm not saying it isn't hard work, but anyone putting in those hours consistently is living to work, not working to live.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:29:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I love it.  I am given huge leeway on how and when to do my job, and I am not a slave to a time clock.  As long as I produce results, they don't care how long I take for lunch or if I decide to run an errand, leave early, or come in late....within reason.  That is what salary is suppose to be like IMO.  You should be trusted to get the work done with little oversight on petty things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy it, just realize you are one upper management policy change away from what we're discussing.
Guys in my industry sounded just like you, at first.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:32:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

90 to 130. He went from milking 12 cows in holland when he was 18 to milking 14,000 now with no partners or family money. That takes work. I can catch him there almost every days early as 4 or as late at 10
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

90 to 130. He went from milking 12 cows in holland when he was 18 to milking 14,000 now with no partners or family money. That takes work. I can catch him there almost every days early as 4 or as late at 10

Sorry - but that is fucking dumb. I don't mind working OT, which I do every week, but there is more to life than work. I hope he doesn't have kids.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:34:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Enjoy it, just realize you are one upper management policy change away from what we're discussing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My boss would have to leave for any of that to change, and I am the mostly likely replacement.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:44:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Last salary job I had my boss had no issue with me working until midnight making him money without compensation. My grandmother passed away and I took off ONE DAY TO GO TO HER FUNERAL , and as soon as I walked into the door his 1st question was "how do you want me to take the day you missed out of your check". I walked out a short while later
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top