Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 4/24/2015 7:05:11 PM EDT
Fantastic article here - it's long, and worth your time to ready every word.

Excerpt:

MH: One of the really great statistics you bring up in the book is that for 90 percent of the population who do choose to use drugs, can do so fairly responsibly. What I found interesting - and I think it goes to the fact that people just don’t really understand drug use - is that in some of the clinics, you would have people who would show up, shoot up for lunchtime, and basically go back to their jobs. So there’s that idea that it isn’t this totally incapacitating thing that makes you a slave to a certain degree.

JH: That’s really interesting. I think there are two things in that. So, the figure of 90 percent does not come from the Drug Policy Alliance. It comes from the UN Office of Drug Control, which is the biggest drug war body in the whole world, whose slogan is: "A drug-free world: we can do it." They admitted - they’ve subsequently taken down the document I noticed the other day - but they admitted that 90 percent of all drug use is non-problematic, which means that it doesn’t cause addiction, it doesn’t cause you to overdose.

What’s happened is the drug war creates this distorted picture of drug use, which actually then reinforces the drug war. So there’s that going on, and I think also there’s the very interesting thing about the Swiss heroin clinics. Swiss people believe in getting up early. I go to this clinic in Geneva at like 7 in the morning - you can go at any time during the day - and there’s all these people lining up. There’s just people sitting in this waiting room, and they go into this little cubicle and use their heroin that they’re given, and then they go off to work. And it was really like, "Wow." So we have these myths. Of course there are tragedies caused by drugs, as I’ve seen in my own family. This is not to trivialize in any way for a second the people whose lives are negatively affected by drugs to point out that just, as a matter of fact, they are a relatively small minority.

The figure I talk about that’s in the book is that for every 100,000 people who use alcohol, 650 die. For every 100,000 people who use cocaine, 4 die. And again, the science has been systematically distorted about this. This is, by the way, not a pro-cocaine argument or a pro-alcohol argument. I don’t like either of those drugs. But no one would find it odd that I don’t like alcohol and I’m not in favor of alcohol prohibition. I don’t like cocaine. I’m not in favor of cocaine prohibition.

The World Health Organization conducted a massive study in the 1990s on cocaine and found that addiction is rare. The American government said, if you publish this, we will pull all our funding from the WHO, and so that report was never published. We only know what it said because one of the scientists involved leaked it. That tells you something about the distortion that’s gone on. There’s a great quote from Harry Anslinger. He said at one point, "I have made up my mind: Don’t try to confuse me with the facts." And I think that’s the overarching motto of the drug war. You start with this theological belief that there are these evil substances that hijack people, and then you make up your mind and you don’t want to be confused with the facts.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Its all about money and control/power..always has been...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI

I don't think .gov should prevent a person from putting any substance in their body. Individual freedoms and all
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

And keeping poisonous shit out of our communities, schools, and away from stupid fucking people.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I disagree....

Look into the eyes of a father that just found out his teenage son is addicted to heroin and you will change your mind.

Weed and alcohol aren't that far apart but if you want to stop the fight against the harder stuff you need to see the reality of it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same with gun control, and any other thing the else the USA has claimed war upon, that wasn't a country, or people in extreme distress.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
And keeping poisonous shit out of our communities, schools, and away from stupid fucking people.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't really do that, though.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I disagree....

Look into the eyes of a father that just found out his son is addicted to heroin and you will change your mind.

Weed and alcohol aren't that far apart but if you want to stop the fight against the harder stuff you need to see the reality of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree....

Look into the eyes of a father that just found out his son is addicted to heroin and you will change your mind.

Read the article. The answer to drug abuse isn't putting addicts in prison.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#8]
the hard drugs have no redeeming qualities. I love me some freedom, but see absolutely zero chance of any positive benefit coming from crack rocks being sold next to the snickers bars in the Walmart check out line.

I also question the notion of "no negative effects". Yeah, ok, you're not robbing mini marts to get your next fix....that doesn't mean there are no negative effects. Turning people into compliant sheeple could certainly be done with the right kind of drugs, for example. Mellow dissent the **** out and Big Government has nothing to worry about. It's alllll goooood maaaaan.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Again, READ THE ARTICLE. All of those things are accomplished to a much greater degree by a variety of approaches to the problem that don't involve putting ridiculous numbers of people in prison or saddling them with criminal records that generally prevent them from ever being productive members of society.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I disagree....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree....

I've seen people with drug problems. I still want to end the war against all drugs, even "hard" drugs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've seen people with drug problems. I still want to end the war against all drugs, even "hard" drugs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree....

Yep...so coke off a hookers ass would not be an illegal thing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree....

The ethics of this country are going down the tubes... legalizing dope will only speed the flush
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never has, never will. There will always be a black market and someone willing to risk supplying it. Prohibition was a terrible idea and ushered in the era of Big Organized Crime. Its no different today. Peope risk long prison stretches and violence related to trafficing for huge profits.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The ethics of this country are going down the tubes... legalizing dope will only speed the flush
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree....

I've got $1 says you are mistaken, and there's plenty of evidence around the world that backs up my position.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you really think they are even putting a 10% dent in drug  availability? , its just like violent criminals and guns..gov can do whatever they want ..and the only people without guns....will be the law abiding citizen..everyone else will have whatever they want..same as drugs.....waste of time and money..want to stop it? legalize it, give it out for free in small clinics...those who are going to abuse it..they will abuse it, but this stops people having to rob/steal/kill to get and stay high. it also gets all those people sitting in jail for possession/use out and most of them working/supporting themselves....funny we had to pass an Amendment to go after booze..but not for drugs..that says a lot on how screwed we are today.......
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Never has, never will. There will always be a black market and someone willing to risk supplying it. Prohibition was a terrible idea and ushered in the era of Big Organized Crime. Its no different today. Peope risk long prison stretches and violence related to trafficing for huge profits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So all organized crime ceased when prohibition ended?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#17]
....90 percent of the population who do choose to use drugs, can do so fairly responsibly.
View Quote

Complete bullshit.  I got no problem with folks poisoning their own body with that crap.  I have a problem with how many people  in the addict's world that are negatively affected by the dipshit's poor choices and actions.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Addicts don't belong locked away on our dime I agree.

I choose not to hang out with anyone that uses drugs, or smokes weed, or can't control themselves when they have a drink.

Dealers on the other hand are the scum of the earth and prey upon society.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree....

Thankfully someone else gets it. For the millionth time people, potheads, pill poppers, shooters and the snorters do not do their drugs in a vacuum.
It spills over into all aspects of life, including into the innocent. Same will happen whether legal or not.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Complete bullshit.  I got no problem with folks poisoning their own body with that crap.  I have a problem with how many people  in the addict's world that are negatively affected by the dipshit's poor choices and actions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

....90 percent of the population who do choose to use drugs, can do so fairly responsibly.

If you count all illegal drug use in the US, I'd bet the number of pot smokers that have never been so much as late to work because of it (not to mention never having been arrested) that the 90% figure is easily exceeded.

I'd wager there are more people abusing prescription medications in this country than there are irresponsible pot smokers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Thankfully someone else gets it. For the millionth time people, potheads, pill poppers, shooters and the snorters do not do their drugs in a vacuum.

It spills over into all aspects of life, including into the innocent. Same will happen whether legal or not.
View Quote

So go for the worst of both worlds.  Drugs and prohibition.

Brilliant.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree....

I don't even know how you'd do drugs in a vacuum. I prefer night clubs and concert venues.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

This is true (well maybe not so much for the "potheads") but if you want to minimize the damage done to society there's a better solution than putting addicts in jail. Hell, there are several better solutions.

The drug warriors are either not reading the article or they prefer to live their lives like this:

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Bloomberg and Gingrich both spoke highly of the (some say Draconian) laws in Singapore.  500 gr of MJ and you're eligible for the death penalty.  This is the way we used to think, harsh penalties save a lot more lives than mediocre rehab efforts.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Do you really think they are even putting a 10% dent in drug  availability? , its just like violent criminals and guns..gov can do whatever they want ..and the only people without guns....will be the law abiding citizen..everyone else will have whatever they want..same as drugs.....waste of time and money..want to stop it? legalize it, give it out for free sell it for a fair market price in small clinics...those who are going to abuse it..they will abuse it, but this stops people having to rob/steal/kill to get and stay high. it also gets all those people sitting in jail for possession/use out and most of them working/supporting themselves....funny we had to pass an Amendment to go after booze..but not for drugs..that says a lot on how screwed we are today.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you really think they are even putting a 10% dent in drug  availability? , its just like violent criminals and guns..gov can do whatever they want ..and the only people without guns....will be the law abiding citizen..everyone else will have whatever they want..same as drugs.....waste of time and money..want to stop it? legalize it, give it out for free sell it for a fair market price in small clinics...those who are going to abuse it..they will abuse it, but this stops people having to rob/steal/kill to get and stay high. it also gets all those people sitting in jail for possession/use out and most of them working/supporting themselves....funny we had to pass an Amendment to go after booze..but not for drugs..that says a lot on how screwed we are today.......

NOW I will agree with you.  Why shouldn't addicts have to pay for the stuff they want, same as I do?  If it was legal, the price would be no more than any other market commodity, so they could have a job & wouldn't need to steal to feed their habit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be ridiculous. The genie was out of the bottle.   But do you see inner city yutes shooting each other of who gets to sell liquor in a particular neighborhood?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#27]
"it isn't 100% effective" isn't justification for getting rid of ANY law. There are still people doing EVERY type of act that is illegal, should we just legalize them all?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

"it isn't 100% effective" isn't justification for getting rid of ANY law. There are still people doing EVERY type of act that is illegal, should we just legalize them all?
View Quote

Most of them.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Be realistic here... Drug users that get arrested get little or no time.

It does put them into the system and a lot of times it exposes them to assistance from classes or family putting them into programs or just plain scares them straight.

Legalize hard drugs and that stops and most will never break the cycle and will only get worse because of peer influence.

Some people get on the path and will NEVER get off... they are lost to their family ad friends and so be it. But the casual user that gets arrested for possession is not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

NOW I will agree with you.  Why shouldn't addicts have to pay for the stuff they want, same as I do?  If it was legal, the price would be no more than any other market commodity, so they could have a job & wouldn't need to steal to feed their habit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats fine until you get to the addicts, they won't hold a job, so will steal to feed their habit..at that point..set up clinics and supply them in a controlled place.. the gov has fought it hard at a huge cost between enforcement/ justice system/incarceration and the destruction of our rights and the rule of law over the last 50+ years.. far cheaper to expend that money on clinics and legally selling it/giving it to the addicts as needed to make society better overall..
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#31]
You thought you'd post an article to THIS forum and anyone would take the time to read it BEFORE commenting.  Why do that when they already have their bias to draw their opinions from?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

A real war on drugs (cartels) would have lasted a month.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

FPNI

I don't think .gov should prevent a person from putting any substance in their body. Individual freedoms and all
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FPNI

yup, imo their should be federal run drug stores where everything is free and they have some bunks or what not.

you want to smoke 3 pounds of meth knock yourself out here is a sandwich.

and being free their is no need to steal win win.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Regardless of a persons views on the legality of drugs, thinking the war on drugs has been anything but a miserable failure is moonbat level thinking.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you count all illegal drug use in the US, I'd bet the number of pot smokers that have never been so much as late to work because of it (not to mention never having been arrested) that the 90% figure is easily exceeded.

I'd wager there are more people abusing prescription medications in this country than there are irresponsible pot smokers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

99% of the chronic pot smokers that I've met are useless fucking idiots.  Every illicit drug user (beyond marijuana) usually has an addiction they eventually cannot afford anymore causing them to become a burden on society.  That demographic of hard drug user and the chronic weed toker take up way more than 10% of ALL drug users.  Prescription drug abusers eventually become societal burdens as well.  That's the unfortunate side effect of addiction.  Normal folks usually won't suck a dick for crack rock or a Lorcet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree....

lol

who do you know who cant wait for drugs to be legal to use them?

the answer is no one if Joe wants to smoke pot he smokes it if he wants to shoot up some H he does that too.

soccer mom Suzy isn't an alcoholic and booze is cheap legal so shes not going to become a crack head because its legal.

the only winners of the WOD is the cartels and government.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Regardless of a persons views on the legality of drugs, thinking the war on drugs has been anything but a miserable failure is moonbat level thinking.
View Quote

That depends on your goals.  It's been wildly successful at expanding government power, whittling away at the fourth amendment, and getting gun control passed.  Not to mention the money.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

But dude just make the drugs free and given out by the government and it will make it all better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

99% of the chronic pot smokers that I've met are useless fucking idiots.  Every illicit drug user (beyond marijuana) usually has an addiction they eventually cannot afford anymore causing them to become a burden on society.  That demographic of hard drug user and the chronic weed toker take up way more than 10% of ALL drug users.  Prescription drug abusers eventually become societal burdens as well.  That's the unfortunate side effect of addiction.  Normal folks usually won't suck a dick for crack rock or a Lorcet.

But dude just make the drugs free and given out by the government and it will make it all better.

It would be far cheaper then what we spend total on the WOD right now... hell think how much .gov excess could be cut......
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree....

You tell me:

How has the War on Drugs impacted America's drug addiction problem?

Has it reduced the rate of drug abuse?

If so, by how much?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Over $40 BILLION a year fucking wasted
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Over $40 BILLION a year fucking wasted
View Quote

yep, now take some of that money and open clinics/stores, sell to those who have money, keep track of it, if/when it gets abusive to the point they are on the street/jobless, then give it to them on site..... the rest of that money, split be tween lower taxes to begin with and getting us debt free.....
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#45]
So, per 100k, alcohol is the bigger killer.

But the war is on drugs ........ um, ok.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They stopped reaping huge profits off of Alcohol sales.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#47]
I used to do work for Peter Bensinger*.  I have held, in my own hands, a letter to him signed by Ronald Reagan.  Really, they view it as saving people from their own weaknesses. No price too great.   There's no reaching them.

*betcha don't know who he is w/o googling. (next sentence gives a hint)
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

You thought you'd post an article to THIS forum and anyone would take the time to read it BEFORE commenting.  Why do that when they already have their bias to draw their opinions from?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

99% of pot smokers aren't chronic stoners.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That depends on your goals.  It's been wildly successful at expanding government power, whittling away at the fourth amendment, and getting gun control passed.  Not to mention the money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's remarkable how it's now considered "Conservative" to preserve the War on Drugs largely started by progressive democrats.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top