Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2015 4:51:37 PM EDT
Fuk you Microsoft and your fucking subscription model for office. FUCK YOU. Fucking expires and locks me out. Thank the lord my college now has free subscriptions with my tution. But of course, for some dumbshit reason I have to redownload and reinstall all my office programs. FUCK. That will take the rest of the day on my connecton. Frick. So much for finishing this paper today.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#1]
So you let your subscription to something expire, and it surprises you that you no longer have access to it? Sounds like you failed.

EDIT: assuming you're talking about Office 365 (since it's the subscription Office suite) it's my understanding that it warns you both in the app and via email that the expiration is approaching, and then you have a grace period after expiration where you can still access your files in a read-only mode.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
You can buy the boxed product too...

ETA if you're a student, see if your school participates in Dreamspark https://www.dreamspark.com/
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, next time Microsoft should give you a handy while you ignore your responsibilities, leaving everything important in your world disorganized and primed for disaster.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Office 2013. No subscription.

You just download it once and never have to worry about it again, unless you have to re-install.

Also available at your book store at a substantial discount, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah it's all their fault, when they were writing the subscription logic, they forgot to call you up and check your calendar for April 24, 2015 and make accommodations for that
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Straight from Microsoft's FAQ:

What happens when my subscription ends? How can I continue to work with my documents?
As the expiration date approaches, you will receive notifications in the Office applications and via email, alerting you to the upcoming expiration. If you choose to let your subscription expire, the Office software applications enter read-only mode, which means that you can view or print documents, but you can’t create new documents or edit existing documents.
To return to full Office functionality, you can purchase a new version of Office by visiting www.office365.com or any participating retailer. You could also return to full functionality using an older version of Office, or you can use Office Online for free for basic editing.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What happens when my subscription ends? How can I continue to work with my documents?
As the expiration date approaches, you will receive notifications in the Office applications and via email, alerting you to the upcoming expiration. If you choose to let your subscription expire, the Office software applications enter read-only mode, which means that you can view or print documents, but you can’t create new documents or edit existing documents.
To return to full Office functionality, you can purchase a new version of Office by visiting www.office365.com or any participating retailer. You could also return to full functionality using an older version of Office, or you can use Office Online for free for basic editing.

C'mon, dude.  They are being dicks.  Any good SaaS provider has a script that reaches into your wallet, grabs your card and re-ups for you.  The OP is being perfectly reasonable to assume he should be required to make no effort to extend a service beyond the agreed terms, ever again.

You're just a hater.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Office 20132010. No subscription.

You just download it once and never have to worry about it again, unless you have to re-install.

View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

C'mon, dude.  They are being dicks.  Any good SaaS provider has a script that reaches into your wallet, grabs your card and re-ups for you.  The OP is being perfectly reasonable to assume he should be required to make no effort to extend a service beyond the agreed terms, ever again.

You're just a hater.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're just a hater.

I'm sure he'd have complained if they automatically renewed too. Perhaps in the OP's opinion they should just let him keep using the software for free.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Often relying on the cloud can be like paying to put your eggs in someone elses basket.

We're going to hear more from folks, who for whatever reason, lose everything if cash flow is interrupted.

The Microsoft cloud stuff can really backfire - as we see here.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm still rolling on Office '03.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Microsoft licensing is a mess. I can buy windows from best buy for $150 and its a perpetual license. But if you want to run it in a virtual machine suddenly its $300 and only a 3 year subscription. Give me a break
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm sure he'd have complained if they automatically renewed too. Perhaps in the OP's opinion they should just let him keep using the software for free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're just a hater.

I don't know, that isn't as useful an excuse for not completing an assignment.  "My Office subscription didn't renew" is apparently replacing "My dog ate it" going forward.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
You can't use open office or other open source versions?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Often relying on the cloud can be like paying to put your eggs in someone elses basket.

We're going to hear more from folks, who for whatever reason, lose everything if cash flow is interrupted.

View Quote

How does the OP ignoring expiration warnings count as the cloud backfiring?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Microsoft licensing is a mess. I can buy windows from best buy for $150 and its a perpetual license. But if you want to run it in a virtual machine suddenly its $300 and only a 3 year subscription. Give me a break
View Quote

I used to think Microsoft licensing was a mess.  Then I experienced various CAD/CAD data management licensing schemes and quit my bitching.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#18]
iWork has no subscription. Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like someone doesn't own msft stock.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Download Open Office

Finish your paper

Send me your monthly subscription fee.

;)
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
How did it backfire?  If one stops paying for the subscription, the software goes to read only mode.  He can still view and print anything he has created up to that point, how did he lose everything?

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Psst......   The Apache Open Office Project

Open office is open source office that has 99% of the functionality of word. For free. For a collage student just writing papers it should be fine.

ETA ok 99% was high but its very good
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I used to think Microsoft licensing was a mess.  Then I experienced various CAD/CAD data management licensing schemes and quit my bitching.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me introduce you to Cisco.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Download Open Office

Finish your paper

Send me your monthly subscription fee.

;)
View Quote

Damn! Beat me to it by 30 seconds!

At least I gave him a link.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How did it backfire?  If one stops paying for the subscription, the software goes to read only mode.  He can still view and print anything he has created up to that point, how did he lose everything?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There isn't a law requiring data be stored on the cloud, either.  365 is GREAT!  Especially as an admin.  Just move some licenses around as necessary, and the users can integrate with their home computers along with web apps if away from the office and the laptop goes down.

One click removes access and transfers the license to someone else.  Easy.  OneDrive ensures even the dumbest moron can keep a safe copy of their work.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Open office is open source office that has 99% of the functionality of word. For free. For a collage student just writing papers it should be fine.
View Quote

No it doesn't.

It's cool, I recommend it all the time, but no it doesn't.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  

ETA:  Doesn't Cisco use Flex/lm or something like it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Why can't you use Google Docs until the download finishes?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No it doesn't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it doesn't.

Well, for 90% of users it has the functionality they need.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No it doesn't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it doesn't.

Ok fair enough that was a bit of an exaggeration but I fixed it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#31]
just wait till windows 10 rolls out and starts charging you by the year..
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Calling compiled win32 or x64 desktop applications that are installed locally a "cloud" solution, is a bit of a stretch IMHO.

And he's lost NO data. None.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
iWork has no subscription. Just sayin'.
View Quote

It also doesn't have feature parity with MS Office 2013.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#34]
My android phone and tablet installed HP wifi printing in less than 30 seconds and I was GTG.

My 8.1 laptop took 30 minutes, 15 more of troubleshooting, and the stuff I print still looks fucky
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Download Open Office Libre Office

Finish your paper

Send me  Et2ss your monthly subscription fee.

;)
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My android phone and tablet installed HP wifi printing in less than 30 seconds and I was GTG.

My 8.1 laptop took 30 minutes, 15 more of troubleshooting, and the stuff I print still looks fucky
View Quote

What does any of that have to do with Microsoft Office?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting.  Do you chew on marbles in your spare time?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It somehow decided it didn't want to allow HP's wifi software to print stuff.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Microsoft Office doesn't have anything to do with printer drivers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Office did, or Windows?  What random seed was your OS using for it's boolean driver permissions routine?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wouldn't recognize the HP Envy WiFi printing software, despite every other program doing so--and working (i.e. the printer wouldn't show up in the choices available to you when you selected to print a document).

Then it just magically showed up after two restarts.

The IT guy who works on our laptops had no explanation--except that I may be "special."
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It wouldn't recognize the HP Envy WiFi printing software, despite every other program doing so--and working (i.e. the printer wouldn't show up in the choices available to you).

Then it just magically showed up after two restarts.
View Quote

Alright, well...I'm not going to troubleshoot it over a forum.

Sorry about your luck, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll see your Cisco and raise you a VMware or a Remedy, your choice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So you let your subscription to something expire, and it surprises you that you no longer have access to it? Sounds like you failed.

EDIT: assuming you're talking about Office 365 (since it's the subscription Office suite) it's my understanding that it warns you both in the app and via email that the expiration is approaching, and then you have a grace period after expiration where you can still access your files in a read-only mode.
View Quote

OP failed.  Everyone knows.   OP shoudl've just bought the damned suite and been done with it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Autodesk.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Office 201320102003. No subscription.

FIFY

FIFY both.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Office 2013. No subscription.

View Quote

Yeah, and then the fun begins if you have to reinstall.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I hate the fucking new office menu system.  I was going to buy an older version of office for this current computer then just said fuck it and downloaded openoffice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#49]
That is why I hate the subscription model. Most software is going this route.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#50]

THIS

it has 99.99% of the features us non power-users need and they aren't hidden behind 30 tabs and 4 menus like new office.
All the perks of new office, all the perfection of the older models
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top