Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The reject the view it is just another form of fires, but see air power as a transformational moving beyond what people on the ground need.  

One of the constant terms that come up in Air Force PME is "Air-mindedness".
View Quote

Perhaps they reject the view rhetorically, but when discussion like this often turn into "the Army shouldn't be telling us what to procure, just give us a grid and a target and we'll determine the optimum solution" (yes, I have been told this, when bringing up one of the classic threads here once), I don't know how else to interpret it. Air Force CAS doctrine appears rooted in this way of thinking.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Perhaps they reject the view rhetorically, but when discussion like this often turn into "the Army shouldn't be telling us what to procure, just give us a grid and a target and we'll determine the optimum solution" (yes, I have been told this, when bringing up one of the classic threads here once), I don't know how else to interpret it. Air Force CAS doctrine appears rooted in this way of thinking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reject the view it is just another form of fires, but see air power as a transformational moving beyond what people on the ground need.  

I think people get too wrapped around the axle about that, honest that is how all planning should occur.  You don't ask for a specific unit or system, the supported requests a specific effect or capability and than they are provided with a solution.  

It is sort of like mission orders, you tell them what you want them to do and not how to do it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think people get too wrapped around the axle about that, honest that is how all planning should occur.  You don't ask for a specific unit or system, the supported requests a specific effect or capability and than they are provided with a solution.  

It is sort of like mission orders, you tell them what you want them to do and not how to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like the Army needs to issue mission orders for over the horizon ISR that can't be fulfilled by an UAV.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

But shouldn't the "air-minded" service be pushing the advantages and responsiveness of aerial platforms to support a ground fight?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wouldn't Annex A without units but with estimated effects be an interesting way of planning?

ask for an effect, as long as that effect is exactly what the platform is, and then turn it down anyway while explaining, so patiently, "You can't all have air support, its too expensive" because they use B1s to provide the same "effect" that a single engine turbo prop could.

Nothing so highlights how effective the AF is like the navy, af, and marines buying the same "effect" because nobody believes the other will provide it for them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Shit, the Navy brass laughed at that one guy in the early 20th Century for saying Aircraft Carriers were the future and Battleships were dead ends.
View Quote

Madcap is that old?

Worth noting that the USN was a carrier-based fleet when WWII broke out.  The Battleship was, by then, already in an ancillary role.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Madcap is that old?

Worth noting that the USN was a carrier-based fleet when WWII broke out.  The Battleship was, by then, already in an ancillary role.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, the Navy brass laughed at that one guy in the early 20th Century for saying Aircraft Carriers were the future and Battleships were dead ends.

Madcap is that old?

reading that quote all I could think was, "Zumwalt"
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The 30mm gives a significant increasing in anti-personnel and anti-material capability, its not meant to turn the vehicle into a tank destroyer but it gives grunts a fire support asset

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Switching from the 25mm Bushmaster to the 30mm version would not impact the Stryker's ability to carry infantry. The two guns are comparable in size.

The 30mm round does take up more room than the 25mm one, but with the benefit of air-bursting fuzes, fewer rounds could get same or better effect.

It doesn't turn the Stryker into a tank, but it provides a useful system for engaging targets in defilade.

The 30mm gives a significant increasing in anti-personnel and anti-material capability, its not meant to turn the vehicle into a tank destroyer but it gives grunts a fire support asset

But it's not a tank destroyer

Dat airburst, though
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Madcap is that old?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Madcap is that old?

God, I can't remember his name, it was awhile ago. But I remember hearing about some naval officer, way back around the beginning of the 20th Century. He did a demonstration of airplanes destroying a battleship or cruiser. And the Navy didn't take his idea seriously about Aircraft Carriers being the new thing in the future.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

With a war going on and people dying? Was there butthurt when we bought South African MRAPs?  Yes.  Did it stop us?  No.

A stopgap, interim program to meet immediate operational needs is an easy sell to the public - especially if a formal acquisition program for a longer-term solution is running concurrently.  Of course that would mean the AF took the requirement - and the overall ground support mission - seriously.
View Quote

So, what stopped the army from buying LAAR during the last dozen years?

Hell, the Marines delayed a UONS to preserve funding for up-armored HMMWVs and Sec Gates drove the bus on MRAPs.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

God, I can't remember his name, it was awhile ago. But I remember hearing about some naval officer, way back around the beginning of the 20th Century. He did a demonstration of airplanes destroying a battleship or cruiser. And the Navy didn't take his idea seriously about Aircraft Carriers being the new thing in the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Madcap is that old?

It was an Army Air Corps officer, General Billy Mitchell, and the Navy was right. At the time airplanes weren't capable of it. It wasn't until the late 1930s that the airplane became a reliable, rugged weapon that could carry munitions to kill a ship.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It was an Army Air Corps officer, General Billy Mitchell, and the Navy was right. At the time airplanes weren't capable of it. It wasn't until the late 1930s that the airplane became a reliable, rugged weapon that could carry munitions to kill a ship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Madcap is that old?

The mitchell myth is just one of many.

As the US navy proved near the end of WW2, sinking ships with airplanes was nearly impossible in combat with properly designed fleets.  Sneak attacks and/or dumb luck were required (see also:  Midway)
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Madcap is that old?

Whew, I was kinda close.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As the US navy proved near the end of WW2, sinking ships with airplanes was nearly impossible in combat with properly designed fleets.  Sneak attacks and/or dumb luck were required (see also:  Midway)
View Quote

The radar picketts around Okinawa would disagree with you. A ship's a fool to fight like a fort. And that is exactly what they were tasked to do.

If you modified your statement to say that sinking high value ships with airplanes was nearly impossible with a properly designed fleet, then I think we could find common ground.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The 40mm L70 is too large to fit in a Bradley, much less a Stryker. In order to fit it to the CV90 it had to be mounted upside down and off to one side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfft, forget that!

Throw on one of the bofors 40mm that has programmable ammo!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bofors_40_mm_gun#40_mm_L.2F70

The 40mm L70 is too large to fit in a Bradley, much less a Stryker. In order to fit it to the CV90 it had to be mounted upside down and off to one side.

Upside down/Sideways/Rightside up orientation doesn't have much impact on weapon emplacement when it is gyro stabilized and remote controlled. (Plus seeing the spent casings go flying is pretty dope) But yeah, the vehicle probably wouldn't be large enough to fit that 40mm. Would be sick though! Those guns are very impressive! I am surprised it wouldn't fit in a Bradley.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Upside down/Sideways/Rightside up orientation doesn't have much impact on weapon emplacement when it is gyro stabilized and remote controlled. (Plus seeing the spent casings go flying is pretty dope) But yeah, the vehicle probably wouldn't be large enough to fit that 40mm. Would be sick though! Those guns are very impressive! I am surprised it wouldn't fit in a Bradley.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfft, forget that!

Well, it might be possible to fit it, but it would reduce the crew compartment quite a bit.

The Bradley might end up carrying just 4-5 dismounts.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The radar picketts around Okinawa would disagree with you. A ship's a fool to fight like a fort. And that is exactly what they were tasked to do.

If you modified your statement to say that sinking high value ships with airplanes was nearly impossible with a properly designed fleet, then I think we could find common ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The picketts were designed to be sacrificed and they weren't what the japanese wanted to sink.  A fleet that can't move is a pretty tempting target, and frankly the japanese put everything into okinawa and, while inflicting damage, never came close to defeating the fleet or the invasion.

Hey.  I'm the one who wants land based shit so you can go do some of that sailor shit.

aegis destroyers at pemanent anchor is about as dumb as you can get.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, since we're designing this thing by committee, lets install twin 30s on it, give it a radar tracking FCS, and turn the Stryker into a dual mission, ground and ADA wheeled vehicle that can carry a fire team and be amphibious and air-transportable too.

Oh, and we should probably design it to be upgraded with modular armor as well, like the M8 AGS was.  Can't because it's a wheeled vehicle?  No problem, we can fix that with the right amount of R&D and upgrades to the suspension.

I think we're on to something here, GD.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The picketts were designed to be sacrificed and they weren't what the japanese wanted to sink.  A fleet that can't move is a pretty tempting target, and frankly the japanese put everything into okinawa and, while inflicting damage, never came close to defeating the fleet or the invasion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From Guadalcanal to airstrikes on ISIS, the Navy has sat relatively still and projected power ashore. Movement has been minimal.

The key attribute of the USN at the time was mass. We will not have the advantage of being able to sacrifice ships wholesale and still accomplish our objectives in the next naval war. It will be a come as you are affair.

Hey.  I'm the one who wants land based shit so you can go do some of that sailor shit.

As long as it will address the entire kill chain. The problem with land-based is redeployment. If you try to shift forces, it is perceived as a weakness. See recent examples of 24 Apaches moving from Germany or the THAAD battery deployed to Guam. The capability is nice, but you shouldn't deploy it until you are well and truly committed.

aegis destroyers at pemanent anchor is about as dumb as you can get.

Or Aegis destroyer like structures in the middle of a potato field.

But to the point about naval forces, the ships around Okinawa were not at anchor. Simple geometry dictated where the picketts would have to be stationed. Their manner of operation became predictable. Thus they became vulnerable. (See USN force projection operations from Guadalcanal to airstrikes on ISIS.)
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Well, since we're designing this thing by committee, lets install twin 30s on it, give it a radar tracking FCS, and turn the Stryker into a dual mission, ground and ADA wheeled vehicle that can carry a fire team and be amphibious and air-transportable too.

Oh, and we should probably design it to be upgraded with modular armor as well, like the M8 AGS was.  Can't because it's a wheeled vehicle?  No problem, we can fix that with the right amount of R&D and upgrades to the suspension.

View Quote

+

=

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/ships/imgs/lcac.jpg

+

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/305/9/0/GAU_8_AVENGER_by_BLUEDRAGO007.jpg

=

http://joaobrando.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Borat-VeryNice.jpg

You're too late.

In Fall 1995, the U.S. Marine Corps conducted a trial of the GPU-5 on LCAC-66, as a potential weapon to provide suppressive fire for landing forces. The pod was mounted on a standard MAU-12 bomb rack, itself mounted in a standard cargo container. It was believed that four such containers could then be carried on the LCAC. The resulting combination was referenced as the Gun Platform Air Cushion (GPAC). By 1997, the Marines had reportedly acquired the USAF's entire stock of GAU-13/A cannons and GPU-5 pods as surplus. Besides the GPAC, the GAU-13/A was also touted as possible armament on ships and ground vehicles such as the LAV-25.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well, it might be possible to fit it, but it would reduce the crew compartment quite a bit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfft, forget that!

Which would take away the purpose, all right I'm tracking ya.

We should just buy CV90's!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Die from enemy fire or die from B-1?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not one Soldier or Marine died in Afghanistan or Iraq because we had A-10s, F-16s, F-15Es, B-1s, B-52s, Preds, Reapers, and every damn coalition fixed and rotary wing asset doing CAS.  A slow ass lightly armed turboprop would have brought absolutely nothing to the table that we lacked.  I didn't make that call, but a dozen CFACCs did.  

I know I'm talking to card carrying members of the Sylvan sycophant club here, but I doubt the CSAF is going to start making force structure decisions based on the world of one extremely disgruntled field grade anytime soon.
Die from enemy fire or die from B-1?  

That was a shot straight to the baby maker.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The Navy prefers 30mm. The USMC prefers 30mm. If you look around the world IFVs in general are up gunning to at least 30mm. I'm not a detective, but that would appear to be a "clue."

What is interesting is the lack of faith in Army leadership. Very interesting.
View Quote

I've offered my experience with the Army generating force and why ithey seems different in type and kind to the Navy generating force, but people seem happy to discount that experience as well. Oh well...
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had to fight that way in support of the logistics throughput required to support an invasion force larger than Normandy with far fewer logistics over the shore venues.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've offered my experience with the Army generating force and why ithey seems different in type and kind to the Navy generating force, but people seem happy to discount that experience as well. Oh well...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Navy prefers 30mm. The USMC prefers 30mm. If you look around the world IFVs in general are up gunning to at least 30mm. I'm not a detective, but that would appear to be a "clue."

I'm trying to understand something. The USMC decided when they were going to replace the AAV-7 with the EFV that they would use a 30mm on the EFV to do what the M2 and Mk19 did on the AAV-7. It also gave them the ability to do engage lightly armored vehicles. At least one USMC RFP for the ACV  1.1/MPC asked for a 30mm capability (or an M2 and/or Mk18), and protection against 14.5mm. This sounds remarkably similar to the Stryker and what the Army is doing up gunning the Stryker.

We have two different organizations going towards very similar vehicles. Perhaps that means they're on the right track.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm trying to understand something. The USMC decided when they were going to replace the AAV-7 with the EFV that they would use a 30mm on the EFV to do what the M2 and Mk19 did on the AAV-7. It also gave them the ability to do engage lightly armored vehicles. At least one USMC RFP for the ACV  1.1/MPC asked for a 30mm capability (or an M2 and/or Mk18), and protection against 14.5mm. This sounds remarkably similar to the Stryker and what the Army is doing up gunning the Stryker.

We have two different organizations going towards very similar vehicles. Perhaps that means they're on the right track.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 30mm gives very good anti-structural capability. One of the lessons we have learned in both Iraq and AFG, the 50 and Mk19 are of limited usage when the enemy is in defensive positions and even the 25mm gun on the LAV has problems on standard middle eastern construction.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You're too late.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/ships/imgs/lcac.jpg
+

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/305/9/0/GAU_8_AVENGER_by_BLUEDRAGO007.jpg
=

http://joaobrando.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Borat-VeryNice.jpg

You're too late.

In Fall 1995, the U.S. Marine Corps conducted a trial of the GPU-5 on LCAC-66, as a potential weapon to provide suppressive fire for landing forces. The pod was mounted on a standard MAU-12 bomb rack, itself mounted in a standard cargo container. It was believed that four such containers could then be carried on the LCAC. The resulting combination was referenced as the Gun Platform Air Cushion (GPAC). By 1997, the Marines had reportedly acquired the USAF's entire stock of GAU-13/A cannons and GPU-5 pods as surplus. Besides the GPAC, the GAU-13/A was also touted as possible armament on ships and ground vehicles such as the LAV-25.

Fine ill put them on the SSC then.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:38:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Madcap is that old?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Madcap is that old?

Its funny you can't get my name out of your mouth about battleships.

Also funny how one of those ancillary roles was escorting Carriers since they couldn't do a good job of it themselves, and smaller boats didn't have volume of fire, or radar controlled guns to protect from air threats.

It's funny how at the time, it seems like the interest was in how to build a fleet around emerging threats and where the rubber meets the road was that Carriers and BB's were integrated in task forces.

But when it comes to the internet, all of the sudden it's Carrier vs BB like only one can exist at a time in direct opposition, and the history channel lines come out about "a guy bombed a boat with flour and the BB's days were numbered!"   (Except for that whole being used into the 1990's thing).

_lol_

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:40:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

snip

You're too late.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

You're too late.

And....  I just came buckets.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:43:55 AM EDT
[#31]
This should be a real thing.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:46:12 AM EDT
[#32]
If we bolt a bunch of new shit on the Strikers will there still be plenty of room in the back  for all the dismounts to have M14 rifles?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:27:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Also funny how one of those ancillary roles was escorting Carriers since they couldn't do a good job of it themselves, and smaller boats didn't have volume of fire, or radar controlled guns to protect from air threats.

It's funny how at the time, it seems like the interest was in how to build a fleet around emerging threats and where the rubber meets the road was that Carriers and BB's were integrated in task forces.

But when it comes to the internet, all of the sudden it's Carrier vs BB like only one can exist at a time in direct opposition, and the history channel lines come out about "a guy bombed a boat with flour and the BB's days were numbered!"   (Except for that whole being used into the 1990's thing).

_lol_

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Madcap is that old?

_lol_

Volume I can give you (layman alert though), but radar-directed AA went down to Destroyer-sized ships, if memory serves. I seem to recall RADM Becton's memoir, The Ship That Would Not Die mentions that tidbit a few times, especially regarding USS Laffey's time on radar/AA picket duty in the Pacific in 1944-45.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:00:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If the shoe fits...

The Army retired the Kiowa, I guess it wasn't important to them, was it?  They have also refused to even entertain procuring their own light fixed wing CAS, I guess it's not really a priority.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that's me, the "Sylvan sycophant."

Hell, just look at those slides from that CFACC! Look at those metrics!

Fuck, why did we even bother to bring Apaches or Kiowas into theater? What good are they?

If the shoe fits...

The Army retired the Kiowa, I guess it wasn't important to them, was it?  They have also refused to even entertain procuring their own light fixed wing CAS, I guess it's not really a priority.

Key West ring a bell? Everytime the Army even thinks about any fixed wing for any purpose, the Air Force brass go apeshit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:09:52 AM EDT
[#35]

20mm gatling and a stinger pack?

Needs more GAU-8/A and Hydras
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:20:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Key West ring a bell? Everytime the Army even thinks about any fixed wing for any purpose, the Air Force brass go apeshit.
View Quote

Like Gray Eagle or MC-12?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:53:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck, why did we even bother to bring Apaches or Kiowas into theater? What good are they?

If the shoe fits...

No, nobody in AF leadership really gives a shit.  The Key West accord probably doesn't say what you think it does.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#38]
They need 37mm

Quoted:
That shoeh8tr guy was a friggen genius.
In brief, the 2nd Cavalry wants some 81 of its eight-wheel-drive Stryker infantry carrier vehicles fitted with 30 millimeter automatic cannon. 30 mm is more than twice the caliber of the 12.7 mm machineguns those Strykers currently mount. It’s actually a bigger weapon than the notoriously destructive 25 mm chaingun on the much heavier M2 Bradley infantry carrier.
View Quote

http://breakingdefense.com/2015/04/the-30-millimeter-solution-army-upgunning-strykers-vs-russia/
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#39]

Tried and done...

heard they were good at shooting snipers through walls in the second intifada.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No, nobody in AF leadership really gives a shit.  The Key West accord probably doesn't say what you think it does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the shoe fits...

C27J.

They do give a shit.  a massive shit.

but you are correct on key west.

the AF being unprofessional flying club that is too scared to fly during the day and/or under 10K AGL over permissive airspace  does not discount the possibility that the army is a bunch of clonish mediocrities.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually, smaller ships did have the radar controlled guns necessary. Radar was on ships as small as PT boats.  The Mk33 and Mk37 gun fire control radar systems were installed on destroyers, cruisers, and battleships from the beginning until the end of the war. Specialized destroyers were built with radars specifically to control Combat Air Patrols, which was the most effective method of air defense during the war.

Arguably, the St.Louis/Atlanta/Cleveland-classes were better for carrier air defense than a BB for the simple fact that you could crew two of them for one BB and they cost less than 1/2 of a BB. In other words, you could have two light cruisers specifically outfitted for AAA that could be in two places, or one BB that did AAA as a side-job that could only be in one place. One BB or two CLAAs as the light cruisers were known, would both have 4 radar gun fire control directors. It is the number of fire control directors that is the important part. A CLAA would have two, centerline. Meaning it could track targets to port or starboard, two targets at a time. A BB could track four targets, but only two to port or two to starboard. Which is great against a multi-axis attack, but limited in a stream raid.  

If you really want to talk bang for your buck, you need to talk destroyers. Although, each destroyer only carried one radar gun fire control director, you could have 10 destroyers for every one BB. Ten radar gun fire control directors in 10 different locations or four radar gun fire control directors in one location. Destroyers were a bargain.

All three classes had 40mm bofors and used the Mk51 optical director to aim them. Of course, BBs had more guns and directors of this type. And, of course, being on one ship, they only had so much reach. Bofors being a relatively short range weapon. You wouldn't want to approach a BB with its 20 quad 40mms, but because the 40mm's effective range was relatively small, the enemy could fly outside this "bubble." If you wanted to protect another ship with a 40mm, you'd need to get close to the ship you want to protect. Once you do this, you effectively mask your batteries that face the ship you want to protect. It doesn't do much good to put rounds into the ship you want to protect, after all.

Where the rubber meets the road is where people put their money. No battleships were ordered after 1940. There were plenty of destroyers, light cruisers, and carriers ordered.

BB-65 and BB-66 were supposed to be Montana-class battleships, but they were recast as Iowa-class for the reasons you mention, to escort the carriers. But even that reasoning wasn't enough to save them.

In fact, even for the BBs ordered, if they weren't far enough along, were delayed in their construction because they weren't high enough priority.
BB-65 and BB-66's construction was put on hold after Midway. Their construction re-started, but given a low priority. BB-65 ended the war 22% finished.
BB-66 suffered a more indignant fate. She was moved out of the way so LSTs could be produced. Work on BB-66 stopped for two years during the war.

_lol_

The battleship wasn't obsolete in WWII, well up until 1944 at least. But the writing was on the wall. They cost too much, it took too many people to man one, they could only be in one place at one time, and the range of their offensive firepower was limited.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
[
C27J.

the AF being unprofessional flying club that is too scared to fly during the day and/or under 10K AGL over permissive airspace  does not discount the possibility that the army is a bunch of clonish mediocrities.
View Quote

Counterpoint MC-12.
http://www.janes.com/article/45588/usaf-outlines-divestiture-plans-for-mc-12w-liberty-aircraft
Takes two to tango.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[
C27J.

Counterpoint MC-12.
http://www.janes.com/article/45588/usaf-outlines-divestiture-plans-for-mc-12w-liberty-aircraft
Takes two to tango.

no guns is the cut off, but if it might do 90% of the 130 missions with 10% of the tail numbers then that gets cut, too.

Sherpa?  oh. that thing sucks.  go ahead (suck so bad 50% were forward deployed for a straight decade because they were so high demand)  The army with 50 C-12s would have shut the AF out of intra theater airlift mission.  

army has had c-12s for a long time.

again, I am trying to find where I am defending the army in all of this.

some people don't reflexively defend their own branch of service against charges of incompetence.  I know in the age of zero sum game in the pentagon this can be shocking.  unrecognizable it appears.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

no guns is the cut off, but if it might do 90% of the 130 missions with 10% of the tail numbers then that gets cut, too.

Sherpa?  oh. that thing sucks.  go ahead (suck so bad 50% were forward deployed for a straight decade because they were so high demand)  The army with 50 C-12s would have shut the AF out of intra theater airlift mission.  

some people don't reflexively defend their own branch of service against charges of incompetence.  I know in the age of zero sum game in the pentagon this can be shocking.  unrecognizable it appears.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[
C27J.

Counterpoint MC-12.
Takes two to tango.

If guns are the cut off, why did you bring up C-27J?

The USAF aggressively took control of that program, but the Army let them. Personally, I don't think leadership in either service wanted it. The Army didn't want the additional expense, and neither did the USAF. The Army justified getting out by saying the CH-47 can fill the bill. The USAF said that the C-130 can do 98% of the C-27J's missions. I think it basically worked out in the end with the USCG getting the C-27Js; they found a willing home.

In the case of the MC-12, it looks like the USAF didn't want them, but the Army did. If the Army didn't want the expense, the USAF would have shuttered the squadrons, and GD would have cried out for the USAF to "give them to the Army."

That post did not accuse you of defending the Army. All it did was highlight the fact that if both parties are willing then an agreement can be reached.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The USAF aggressively took control of that program, but the Army let them. Personally, I don't think leadership in either service wanted it. The Army didn't want the additional expense, and neither did the USAF. The Army justified getting out by saying the CH-47 can fill the bill. The USAF said that the C-130 can do 98% of the C-27J's missions. I think it basically worked out in the end with the USCG getting the C-27Js; they found a willing home.

In the case of the MC-12, it looks like the USAF didn't want them, but the Army did. If the Army didn't want the expense, the USAF would have shuttered the squadrons, and GD would have cried out for the USAF to "give them to the Army."

That post did not accuse you of defending the Army. All it did was highlight the fact that if both parties are willing then an agreement can be reached.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[
C27J.

Counterpoint MC-12.
Takes two to tango.

The Army got some of them too.  

http://www.soc.mil/UNS/Releases/2014/May/140506-01/140506-01.html

The AF got rid of them for the same reason we boneyarded 10 year old C-27As.  Italian airplanes have zero logistics support and are unreliable maintenance hogs.  Basically the ferrari of airplanes for all the wrong reasons.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

USS Iowa had 18 engagements where enemy aircraft came within weapons range. Of those, she shot down 5, helped down another 3, and damaged 3 more. If we score an assist or a damage as .5 of a kill. We have 8 enemy aircraft downed by USS Iowa during WWII.

Even when she was effective she wasn't that effective:
Originally Posted By Dave Way Curator Battleship Iowa BB-61:
IOWA fired at seven planes, with three being shot down and three more hit.  The three planes shot down by IOWA were two “Jill” attack torpedo bombers and one “Judy” dive bomber.  During the attack two of these seven planes were seen to crash on aircraft carrier INTREPID and one on the carrier CABOT.  IOWA expended 78 5-inch rounds, 1,450 rounds of 40 mm, and 4,400 20 mm rounds, while shooting at the seven enemy planes.

Impressive display of firepower that ultimately didn't protect either carrier.

_lol_

LOL indeed.

ETA: USS Sigsbee commanded by CDR Chung-Hoon assisted in the destruction of 20 enemy aircraft in the spring of 1945 alone. Again if we count an assist as .5 kills then we have a destroyer with 10 kills, 2 more than USS Iowa.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#49]
other countries that use the same LAV/Piranha III hull use it with a turret as an IFV with, iirc, 6 or 7 dismounts but i dont think they are external like the kongsberg turret

what ever happened to the Stryker just being an 'interim' vehicle?

this turret looks pretty compact though....

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
other countries that use the same LAV/Piranha III hull use it with a turret as an IFV with, iirc, 6 or 7 dismounts but i dont think they are external like the kongsberg turret

what ever happened to the Stryker just being an 'interim' vehicle?

this turret looks pretty compact though....

http://s1.blomedia.pl/gadzetomania.pl/images/2011/09/fot7-Kongsberg.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3gEKZdZAIpc/U7bJr1u1iMI/AAAAAAAAA9M/niufjgV26hQ/s1600/MC1_6574.jpg
View Quote

I was wrong, it's the same gun but a different turret trialed on the Bradley.

http://i.imgur.com/P7YswaW.jpg
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top