Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2015 10:00:37 AM EDT
I'm terrified of getting mouth cancer. Any suggestions on quiting/ easing cravings?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I awoke one AM with white ulcers on my gums. I quit by moving to cigarettes which I hated and hated myself for smoking. Then I applied the patch and 2 days later tore it off and declared myself free from the evils of tobacco. <---Big lie! I was a total asshole for two weeks but everyone endured me thankfully.

I know of some who quit the dip and Vape then slowly lower the Nic% down so withdrawls aren't too bad.

Good luck. I used to dip and chew leaf.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I quit by going cold turkey. I still have a cigarette or two every couple months, but I haven't dipped in a long time. I think it is harder to stop chewing than it is to stop smoking.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I dipped a can of cope a day for 15-16 years, I quit cold turkey a couple years ago.

Buy some Smokey Mountain herbal dip and show nicotine you're stronger than it is.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Saw some guys at my old job buy those big tubs of Fireballs and Jolly Ranchers. Seemed to help them. I tried quitting a few times. Just not ready, or really don't wanna. Hard shit to quit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Many times.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I quit about 2 months ago (I think) because I was tired of the cost and the leukoplakia. I chewed about about a can and a half a day for 10 years. I must have been lucky cause quitting wasn't as hard as I thought. It fucking sucked, but no where near how I thought it would be.

I quit cold turkey. Gum, sunflower seeds, candy, pen caps, straws, etc will be your best friends.

Eta: I did use a couple packs of nicotine gun so not cold turkey.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#9]
13 years ago.

My dentist said I had pre-cancerous lesions, I quit when my son was born.

Wanted to be around for him.

I chewed great wads of nicotine gum.

Ignore the instructions, I chewed it by the handful. Dip users have a high tolerance.

Over time I mixed in regular gum (cinnamon, mint)  and gradually cut back on the nicotine gum and weaned off it. Transitioning to regular gum kept my mouth busy and made it easier.

after a while I quit chewing gum as well.

It was expensive, but worth it in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm terrified of getting mouth cancer. Any suggestions on quiting/ easing cravings?
View Quote

Traitor
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#11]
After 30 or so years of dipping I quit.  2 November 2014 was my last day of dipping.  I used nicotine gum.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#12]

I was lucky.  I could dip for a week or two and then not for a month.  Or vice versa.  I missed it, but never really suffered over it.

Quitting smoking was another matter.  That truly sucked.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I made a bet with a buddy.  1000.00

He lost his side of the bet and paid me.

Now, if I buy a can it's not $5.00  it's $1005.00 and a huge chunk of my personal pride.

I'm not giving that to his bitch ass.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Cold for me.

But I did it after I retired--EVERYBODY in my squadron dipped, especially while flying, so I didn't try before that.

I suppose the jerky and other dip-like stuff helps, but I never tried it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Yep.  I quit dipping and smoking cold turkey at the same time.  First week or so was the hardest but it really wasn't that bad.

Commit to quitting.  No cheating.  Prove how strong your mind is to yourself.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I quit one day because I read an article that a Christian author wrote about drinking (I had quit drinking recently).... in the article he said that if you (I was trying to find info to help a friend quit drinking at the time) are reading this article with the intent of trying to help someone quit drinking.... and you are still involved I various other habits that may cause others to stumble in their walk... then it's along the same lines as trying to "pull the speck of saw dust out of your brother's eye, when you need to remove the plank from your own eye first" (Matthew 7:5)..... so as I read that, my friend asked me what I was reading, and I said "something that just convicted me" and I grabbed my brand new pouch of RedMan and turned and threw it in the trash, and I haven't touched tobacco since. It's been several years.

YMMV

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Many times.  
View Quote

Truer words never spoken.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I quit.  Wasn't nearly as bad as quitting smoking, but not something I'd care to repeat.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I dipped a can of cope a day for 15-16 years, I quit cold turkey a couple years ago.

Buy some Smokey Mountain herbal dip and show nicotine you're stronger than it is.
View Quote

I went went with Chantix script.  I gave it to the wiff and had her keep an eye out for the crazy side effects.  I had a 3 mo supply of the stuff and I worked. I only used 3weeks of it. It's a miracle drug. I had no withdrawals like before. I did have this weird feeling of having fatty between the lip and gum so I ordered this stuff called spitfire, it's an herbal snuff that is salty and has some type of pepper that gives that cope burning sensation. After a log of that I never have gone back.
27 yr can a day former dipper

Thanks I'm Mike and I'm a nicotine addict
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nicorette Mini-lozenges.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I quit on 6.2.2011 cold turkey after dipping a can a day.  I used Bacc-off.  It tasted so terrible, I didn't make it through the first can.  That was it.

Just quit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#22]
For what it's worth my wife had to take Bupropion to help with some symptoms of her MS, and she quit smoking even though she swore she wouldn't and literally tried to keep doing it.... and that is basically the same drug as all the "help you stop smoking" drugs on the market!

She tried HARD to keep smoking too!

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Many times.  
View Quote

I'm currently on my 87th try.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#24]
It's easy to quit dipping. I've done it many times...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nicotine tablets from Walgreens.
View Quote

FTW.  I'm chewing on the gum as I type.  Chew it for a bit, stick it in your lip, and you've got essentially the same thing.  And you don't have to worry about the front falling off.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Saw some guys at my old job buy those big tubs of Fireballs and Jolly Ranchers. Seemed to help them. I tried quitting a few times. Just not ready, or really don't wanna. Hard shit to quit.
View Quote

I did the tub of fireballs. Every time I wanted a dip I ate a fireball. All the cinnamon made my mouth so sore I couldn't have had a dip if I wanted to. By the time I got over that, I was done, haven't had a dip since. Close to 20 years now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quit cold turkey about 8 years ago...

I found that when I stopped buying it, that I didn't have anything to dip - self correcting problem.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#28]
I dip two cans a fucking day. If I am down to one can that means I'm out and I get nervous. I tried to quit years ago , but could have made The Hulk run away screaming bitch like. Im 47 and dipped since I was 13. Amazingly problem free.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

FTW.  I'm chewing on the gum as I type.  Chew it for a bit, stick it in your lip, and you've got essentially the same thing.  And you don't have to worry about the front falling off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I quit on 21 March 2014.  My gf bought me a e-cig and from that moment on didn't need a dip.  I had been dipping and smoking for the last 14 yrs and that was the easiest time I ever had quitting.  If you are serious, come by the Vapers Den http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_1/175_The_Vapers_Den.html and we will help you out.  No shit with an e-cig is stupid easy to quit and no feelings of wanting to rip peoples faces off.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#31]
It's easier to quit than smoking was for me.

Nicotine lozenges work well.  I think perhaps 70-80 total lozenges and I was done with it.  Maybe 5-7 4mg lozenges per day at first, then down to 2-3...then I'd have 1 here and there, and when I ran out, I didn't go back to the store to buy more lozenges.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I dip two cans a fucking day. If I am down to one can that means I'm out and I get nervous. I tried to quit years ago , but could have made The Hulk run away screaming bitch like. Im 47 and dipped since I was 13. Amazingly problem free.
View Quote

I suspect a lot of the health risks are highly overblown about dip.  In high school in the mid 1990s I remember getting those propaganda hand outs with pictures of mouth cancer.  I have to wonder if those pics were even caused by dip/chew, and if so, how much were those guys chewing?  That said, I don't like products that are addictive.

I dipped Kodiak on and off in High School and College but haven't touched the stuff in years.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#33]
I quit in October after 38 yrs of dipping mostly skoal. Used the nicotine gum for about 6 weeks, along with Jakes mint chew. I'm still using the mint chew, can't get past the psych part of it, but my dentist, oral surgeon and wife are happy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#34]
You just have to quit.  NOW.  Plan a weekend camping trip or weekend away and take absolutely no nicotine of any kind with you.  Buy a metric shit ton of toothpicks, chewing gum,  and sunflower seeds.  Quit using the dip and keep a toothpick, gum, or seeds on you always.  Every time you want a dip go drink a small glass of water and then pop in some gum or seeds or a toothpick or straw or something to chew on a while.  I quit cold just like that after 14 years can a day habit.  Will be 2 years in August since I've had a dip.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This... then switch to sugar free chewing gum.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#36]
13 years ago, cold turkey.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#37]
I quit leaf tobacco.    Gum has helped.  The wife has been so supportive and I have had a few bad days but have not had a chew.  

Really no good reason to chew.  expensive, nasty, dangerous.   Wish I had never started.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Eat a can. Seriously.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#39]
I quit cold turkey, hell of a month.  You also must quit drinking until you are completely off it.  Otherwise you'll be begging your buddies after a couple of beers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for all the advice. I've been using dip since playing football in junior high in the 80s. Tobacco reps (I guess) would come around to the locker room and hand out free sample rolls to the kids. I guess they knew they'd have some customers for life. Damn, I love dipping but I have four kids ranging from 12 yrs to 10 months old. Gotta stop, 24 hrs dip free as of now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Cold turkey 13 years ago..Man up, the withdraws only last a few weeks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#42]
I quit 5 months ago cold turkey.
I picked a time in my schedule where I inew I was traveling and drinking a lot to facilitate it.

Sitting around sober and bored at home, craving a dip, sounded like torture
I figured if I drink enough I won't remember about dipping
Haven't had one dip since the day I quit

Probably not the best plan for everyone but it worked

Also chewed a lot of gum
Still do
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I quit about 2 months ago (I think) because I was tired of the cost and the leukoplakia. I chewed about about a can and a half a day for 10 years. I must have been lucky cause quitting wasn't as hard as I thought. It fucking sucked, but no where near how I thought it would be.

I quit cold turkey. Gum, sunflower seeds, candy, pen caps, straws, etc will be your best friends.

Eta: I did use a couple packs of nicotine gun so not cold turkey.
View Quote

This. I quit cold turkey February of 2014 after about 10 years and several cans a week. It wasn't easy, but wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I had some wierd, vivid dreams the first few nights off of it too. I also chewed the shit out of sunflower seeds and those little coffee straws.

It also saved me a lot of money..

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I quit cold turkey, 11/1/2014.  My daughter was born last June and I told myself that after hunting season, that was it, I have someone way more important in my life than Copenhagen.  Best decision I ever made.  I did purchase a can of beef jerky, but forgot that I bought it, so there is an un-opened can of jerky somewhere around here!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Many times.  

This. Went about 2 months on patches. Meh.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#46]
I quit smoking using zyban and nicotine gum, started back up four years later, and then quit a couple years later with Chantix.  It was the easiest thing on earth using Chantix, don't do it cold turkey, why suffer unneccesarily?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#47]
I quit cold turkey 14 years ago.  Very rough first couple of weeks especially when in situations like driving. One of the best life choices I made.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#48]
I too found it easy, i have quit many times.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Yup I was 16 I came inside hot an thirsty as hell. I picked up what I thought was my can of Dr. Pepper and took a huge drink.
It was half full of my dads dip spit. I was sick for two days, I couldn't drink Dr. Pepper for years and I am still unable to dip.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quit in Feb, haven't used since :)

I have no advice, I just stopped cold turkey and didn't really have a problem.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top