Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The soup gets thicker.

http://www.ibtimes.com/month-african-american-womans-mayoral-victory-missouri-sparked-police-exodus-white-1889703

Dismay with the Parma police had already become heightened a month before, when a white part-time officer used a Taser on a black teenager. The officer said he had attempted to apprehend the 17-year-old, who is related to Byrd, over suspicions of prank calls made to the police department. When the teen refused to speak, the officer Tasered and arrested him.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am curious why race is added.  If it is just your usual small town political BS, why include her race as though it is an issue - unless of course the media is just up to their old tricks.
View Quote

Clearly race has made no difference to the majority of the posters here.  oops, make that to 3 or 4 of the posters here.

As City Clerk she's probably got a damn good idea about who's clean and who's dirty.  Wiping the computers, some people have been known to equate that to consciousness of guilt.  If I was a taxpayer or one of the business owners, I'd surely be pissed at anybody that flushed the city down the drain like that.  I doubt there will be much sympathy when some folks try to find work in town.  What do you want to bet Forensic Auditing teams from the State Tax and IRS and probably State and Federal Bureaus of Investigation arrive in the next few weeks.
View Quote

This. Though if the exiting-wipers used something like DBAN to wipe the computers... it'll be a lot harder to recover anything.

View Quote

Small town cops, there's a chance they just deleted files rather than use the ol' Boot and Nuke it from orbit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Heck , even Mayberry had more than 740 folks , didn't it?

I know nothing of the situation but have got to wonder what kind of special deals and weird practices are in place when one guy ran the place for 30+ years

One part of me thinks the force really hate the new mayor and another part thinks that maybe all sort of crocked stuff was going on and the guys thought they should get out before they were fired?

Was the new mayor unopposed or did the force support the person who lost?

Yeah we need more story
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heck , even Mayberry had more than 740 folks , didn't it?

I know nothing of the situation but have got to wonder what kind of special deals and weird practices are in place when one guy ran the place for 30+ years

One part of me thinks the force really hate the new mayor and another part thinks that maybe all sort of crocked stuff was going on and the guys thought they should get out before they were fired?

Was the new mayor unopposed or did the force support the person who lost?

Yeah we need more story
View Quote

Regular election with the old mayor, she won by 40 votes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In a town of 700 in Missouri.  I'm just playing the odds here.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Different areas have different types of reserves.

Something something broad brush something.  

And, maybe J i A has some information on the reserves in that area?

That they're not paid?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd rather have a resignation than a firing. Our department used to offer that as a deal to cops they were getting rid of, they would let you resign instead of being fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure they have no trouble finding new work with that on their resume.

I'd rather have a resignation than a firing. Our department used to offer that as a deal to cops they were getting rid of, they would let you resign instead of being fired.

yes

I just recently got back here and I am  not going to screw up again.  I could tell you true stories about what can happen in a black town when they switch from one black mayor to another and how it plays out concerning white and black employees. But I will not,  the only thing I can tell you is that these folks knew time was short and acted accordingly.  I do not even have to know where this is to tell you that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

yes

I just recently got back here and I am  not going to screw up again.  I could tell you true stories about what can happen in a black town when they switch from one black mayor to another and how it plays out concerning white and black employees. But I will not,  the only thing I can tell you is that these folks knew time was short and acted accordingly.  I do not even have to know where this is to tell you that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure they have no trouble finding new work with that on their resume.

yes

Is it customary for the outgoing staff to wipe hard drives?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Speed trap & asset forfeiture?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With a population of only 740, how does the city have a budget for ANYTHING, let alone 6 police officers?

Speed trap & asset forfeiture?

Those tickets aren't going to write themselves....

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#9]
My HOA has more members than this town, and we have exactly 0 police officers. Tinhorn town anyways, who cares? They should disband the town and let themselves be absorbed into the county.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The soup gets thicker.

http://www.ibtimes.com/month-african-american-womans-mayoral-victory-missouri-sparked-police-exodus-white-1889703

Dismay with the Parma police had already become heightened a month before, when a white part-time officer used a Taser on a black teenager. The officer said he had attempted to apprehend the 17-year-old, who is related to Byrd, over suspicions of prank calls made to the police department. When the teen refused to speak, the officer Tasered and arrested him.
View Quote

Welcome to page 3.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something something broad brush something.  

And, maybe J i A has some information on the reserves in that area?

It's going to vary from department to department, but the vast majority of reserves that I know of here in Mo don't get paid unless they are filling in for a regular officer.  Sometimes they will get paid if they are working grant time as well.

I have absolutely no idea how they do things at that particular PD though.  I doubt I've ever been within 20 miles of it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.city-data.com/city/Parma-Missouri.html

Parma compared to Missouri state average:

• Median household income significantly below state average.

• Median house value significantly below state average.

• Black race population percentage above state average.

• Median age above state average.

• Foreign-born population percentage below state average.

• Renting percentage above state average.

• Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.

• Number of rooms per house below state average.

• Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Parma-Missouri.html#ixzz3XzDFSM5p
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Looks normal, no Cynthia McKinney vibe.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#14]
this data runs from 2006 to 2009 (no murders in that span)

this data is 2002-2012 and shows the same

2005-2012

The primary data for this is the UCR.

2013 UCR data:

City                                      Parma
Population                                672
"Violent crime"                             2
"Murder and nonnegligent manslaughter"      0
"Rape (revised definition)"                 0
Robbery                                     0              
"Aggravated assault"                        2        
"Property crime"                           19
Burglary                                    6              
"Larceny-theft"                            13                  
"Motor vehicle theft"                       0                
Arson                                       1                

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Or, the cops were just cronies of the previous mayor who had been in 37 years, and knew they weren't going to have a job after the new mayor took office.

Apparently the new mayor is a Republican, while the old mayor is a Democrat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think her being black is why they quit.  I have a feeling she has said a lot of anti-police racial stuff while campaigning.  Just a wild guess though.

Or, the cops were just cronies of the previous mayor who had been in 37 years, and knew they weren't going to have a job after the new mayor took office.

Likely this seeing as though it's a small town.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think her being black is why they quit.  I have a feeling she has said a lot of anti-police racial stuff while campaigning.  Just a wild guess though.

According to This interview with the D/C, he figured that he would be fired since his job had been threatened (According to him) by the new mayor's family, and he was just getting out on his own terms......  Meh.. at this point with no data one way or the other from anyone independent, there's just no way to REALLY Know.  has the computer issue been addressed other than anecdotally??
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 3:17:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
6 cops for 740 people? Seems unnecessary anyways.

I think this new mayor may have just saved this town some money.
View Quote

If you break that up into 12 hour shifts then that is two guys on patrol at any time, one guy going from days to nights to give them two days off every 7 to 8 days, and a chief to handle ALL of the admin duties.

Doesn't seem like a large force now does it?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 3:37:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you break that up into 12 hour shifts then that is two guys on patrol at any time, one guy going from days to nights to give them two days off every 7 to 8 days, and a chief to handle ALL of the admin duties.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A town of 740 doesn't need a police force to begin with.  I can't even fathom how they could pay for one, considering how poor this town supposedly is.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 3:44:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A town of 740 doesn't need a police force to begin with.  I can't even fathom how they could pay for one, considering how poor this town supposedly is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were not all full time officers.  Reserve officers often work for free or very low wages.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 3:49:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That they're not paid?
View Quote

Nope.  That too would be playing the good odds.  I was guessing JiA has no more specific information on that small town's reserve officer program than you or I.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 3:52:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They were not all full time officers.  Reserve officers often work for free or very low wages.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that.  Working towards becoming a reserve myself.  Even 3 full time officers must cost that city over 150k annually for wages, insurance, training, equipment, etc.  As a councilman on a similarly sized small town, I just don't see where the money would come from.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:11:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Uhhh, never scheduled staff before, I see.

There are 7 days in a week.

If you had 2 officers, they'd both have to work 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week.

4 officers would be MINIMAL (for 24/7 coverage), but only if none of them ever get sick or take a vacation.

5 would allow for coverages when one of the other staff is unable to work.

6 would be optimal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

They don't need 6 cops anyway. If you sneeze while driving you'll completely miss Parma.

4 officers would be MINIMAL (for 24/7 coverage), but only if none of them ever get sick or take a vacation.

6 would be optimal.

This is GD my friend. Most if not all here are too stupid to comprehend your logic
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is GD my friend. Most if not all here are too stupid to comprehend your logic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

They don't need 6 cops anyway. If you sneeze while driving you'll completely miss Parma.

6 would be optimal.

Nothing in what he said answers why a town that small needs its own full 24x7 police department.  But of course almost all of us are too damn dumb to understand that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:40:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
this data runs from 2006 to 2009 (no murders in that span)

this data is 2002-2012 and shows the same

2005-2012

The primary data for this is the UCR.

2013 UCR data:City                                      ParmaPopulation                                672"Violent crime"                             2"Murder and nonnegligent manslaughter"      0"Rape (revised definition)"                 0Robbery                                     0               "Aggravated assault"                        2        "Property crime"                           19Burglary                                    6               "Larceny-theft"                            13                  "Motor vehicle theft"                       0                Arson                                       1                 

View Quote

This is clearly invalid data from a non-authoritative source.  Where are the 9 murders JiA sited?

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
According to This interview with the D/C, he figured that he would be fired since his job had been threatened (According to him) by the new mayor's family, and he was just getting out on his own terms......  Meh..
View Quote

If true I don't blame him but who knows what the real story is.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to This interview with the D/C, he figured that he would be fired since his job had been threatened (According to him) by the new mayor's family, and he was just getting out on his own terms......  Meh..

He quit because he was threatened to be fired by a family member of the mayor.  Sounds like a BS cop out to me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
according to some site I found trying to see what her campaign platform was:

she won by 38 votes

there was 2 full time and 3 part timers,

and

they wiped every computer in city hall on the way out...

curious and curiouser...  
View Quote

Interesting, wonder if it was just spite or if they were destroying evidence of wrongdoing? Dick move either way . I also wonder if the guys doing the wiping were sophisticated enough to really wipe them?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My guess is, a few of the officers that "resigned" don't actually exist and the records were wiped in an attempt to hide embezzlement in the form of employees on paper only.

Take a look at Google maps, there's no friggin way they needed six officers.  That place has no highway nearby to get traffic revenue off of so it's not that.

Those officers simply didn't exist.  My bets are their PAYCHECKS were still cashed though...

Reserve officers don't get paychecks.   Also, the  city payroll would have the  pay records, not the police dept.

Your universal statement doesn't seem to be universal.

$29.16/hr = nothing.

PS:  I know that I'm being ignored which really hurts my feels.  This is for other folks to understand the level of BS in some of these posts.

In my agency our Reserves get $1.00 a year check presented in a frame that the back reads "Do not cash check, no funds".

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In my agency our Reserves get $1.00 a year check presented in a frame that the back reads "Do not cash check, no funds".  
View Quote

832.05 Giving worthless checks, drafts, and debit card orders; penalty; duty of drawee; evidence; costs; complaint form.—

Actually it's not applicable because they were told there's no funds.  Although it's a shame that you guys can't afford to cash a handful of one dollar checks.  Have you tried looking in the sofa cushions?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#30]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3051612/Race-did-NOT-play-role-Missouri-town-s-employees-stepping-black-mayor-voted-ex-police-chief-claims.html

Behind the Parma sign, about the third driveway, is where my brother in law used to live.  I grew up a few miles from there.

Parma was always a little shitty.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/04/23/04/27D90C9F00000578-3051612-image-a-45_1429759741897.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3051612/Race-did-NOT-play-role-Missouri-town-s-employees-stepping-black-mayor-voted-ex-police-chief-claims.html

Behind the Parma sign, about the third driveway, is where my brother in law used to live.  I grew up a few miles from there.

View Quote

<-------- Malden
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

<-------- Malden
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/04/23/04/27D90C9F00000578-3051612-image-a-45_1429759741897.jpg

<-------- Malden

uh...Risco.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#33]
does anyone have an article with the party affiliation of these 2? I know it has been said the former Mayor is a democrat and the new lady is republican but My google fu must suck
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
does anyone have an article with the party affiliation of these 2? I know it has been said the former Mayor is a democrat and the new lady is republican but My google fu must suck
View Quote

Republicans do not hold office in New Madrid county.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

After a ton of searching I found this that claims she is a republican

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

<-------- Malden
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<-------- Malden

Sorry.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Watched a news story where they interviewed the ex chief and another officer. They were concerned for their safety as the new Mayors family had released personal information on them.

Hostile to LEO's
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. Them wiping the hard drives is the fly wrench in the ointment.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Watched a news story where they interviewed the ex chief and another officer. They were concerned for their safety as the new Mayors family had released personal information on them.

Hostile to LEO's

View Quote
I would bet with a pop of 700 it would not be hard to figure out where everyone lives

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Hell, the way I read it is town hiring police officers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I would bet with a pop of 700 it would not be hard to figure out where everyone lives  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hostile to LEO's

No kidding. If they don't know where you live, work schedule, and names of your kids, I would be surprised.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Somehow I get the feeling that a lot of the payroll were cronies of the outgoing mayor...

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Somehow I get the feeling that a lot of the payroll were cronies of the outgoing mayor...

View Quote

5 cops for 700 people.

What do you think was going on?

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

5 cops for 700 people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5 cops for 700 people.

The cops were there to police the one store and to enforce the speed limit. Nothing else to do.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The cops were there to police the one store and to enforce the speed limit. Nothing else to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5 cops for 700 people.

They were known to steal the odd item out of cars they stopped.  Laptops, phones and such.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't see how that town could afford to pay a mayor, let alone 2 or 3 full time cops.
37yrs is a long time to be a mayor and if they really erased the computers that is a bad look.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't see how that town could afford to pay a mayor, let alone 2 or 3 full time cops.
37yrs is a long time to be a mayor and if they really erased the computers that is a bad look.
View Quote

Calling it a " Bad look " is like calling murder a " possible involuntary suicide "  .
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5 cops for 700 people.

And yet the one store got robbed or burglarized nine times in a decade.   They had one job.  
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top