Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He did say violent crime, not just homicide.  But like I said, that could include drunken fist fights.  It's why anecdotes are more important than percentages and raw numbers on this small a scale.  Statistics can make anything seem scarier than it really is, and isolated incidents blow up into seemingly huge percentages.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Dept covered a town of 40,000 we had about ONE Homicide a year

I have yet to see anything to say that Parma had a number greater than zero in 2013 or 2014.

He did say violent crime, not just homicide.  But like I said, that could include drunken fist fights.  It's why anecdotes are more important than percentages and raw numbers on this small a scale.  Statistics can make anything seem scarier than it really is, and isolated incidents blow up into seemingly huge percentages.

In a way you have no clue about apparently. Parma had 9 murders in 2013.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have yet to see anything to say that Parma had a number greater than zero in 2013 or 2014.

In a way you have no clue about apparently. Parma had 9 murders in 2013.

Hah, okay, I stand corrected, I forgot that one.

And yeah....every crime statistic I looked at said 0 for 2013, but it wasn't any source I'd consider authoritative, just crappy real estate valuations.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Is she a communist or something?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I didn't know about or think about the political party differences, but this was my first thought!  37 years is a long time to breed corruption!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think her being black is why they quit.  I have a feeling she has said a lot of anti-police racial stuff while campaigning.  Just a wild guess though.

Or, the cops were just cronies of the previous mayor who had been in 37 years, and knew they weren't going to have a job after the new mayor took office.

Apparently the new mayor is a Republican, while the old mayor is a Democrat.

I didn't know about or think about the political party differences, but this was my first thought!  37 years is a long time to breed corruption!

Town next to me had the same Mayor fro m WWII up through the late 80's when he finally died......the corruption was legendary, even in Hudson County (Pure Democrat)..the subsequent mayors havent been much better, just a tad more circumspect about it...still democrat controlled.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isnt THAT a Prophetic Statement for GD........
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Town next to me had the same Mayor fro m WWII up through the late 80's when he finally died......the corruption was legendary, even in Hudson County (Pure Democrat)..the subsequent mayors havent been much better, just a tad more circumspect about it...still democrat controlled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think her being black is why they quit.  I have a feeling she has said a lot of anti-police racial stuff while campaigning.  Just a wild guess though.

Or, the cops were just cronies of the previous mayor who had been in 37 years, and knew they weren't going to have a job after the new mayor took office.

Samll town politics.  It really does not matter how long they've been there, honesty is pretty damn scarce in all of them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#7]
At least it seems we do know who the new Chief of Police will be...
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Clearly race has made no difference to the majority of the posters here.  oops, make that to 3 or 4 of the posters here.

As City Clerk she's probably got a damn good idea about who's clean and who's dirty.  Wiping the computers, some people have been known to equate that to consciousness of guilt.  If I was a taxpayer or one of the business owners, I'd surely be pissed at anybody that flushed the city down the drain like that.  I doubt there will be much sympathy when some folks try to find work in town.  What do you want to bet Forensic Auditing teams from the State Tax and IRS and probably State and Federal Bureaus of Investigation arrive in the next few weeks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am curious why race is added.  If it is just your usual small town political BS, why include her race as though it is an issue - unless of course the media is just up to their old tricks.

Clearly race has made no difference to the majority of the posters here.  oops, make that to 3 or 4 of the posters here.

As City Clerk she's probably got a damn good idea about who's clean and who's dirty.  Wiping the computers, some people have been known to equate that to consciousness of guilt.  If I was a taxpayer or one of the business owners, I'd surely be pissed at anybody that flushed the city down the drain like that.  I doubt there will be much sympathy when some folks try to find work in town.  What do you want to bet Forensic Auditing teams from the State Tax and IRS and probably State and Federal Bureaus of Investigation arrive in the next few weeks.

This. Though if the exiting-wipers used something like DBAN to wipe the computers... it'll be a lot harder to recover anything.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Samll town politics.  It really does not matter how long they've been there, honesty is pretty damn scarce in all of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was almost cult-like with this guy...Nobody got hired for ANYTHING By that town without a personal interview.  The really scary part is that in the corrupt Cesspool that is Hudson County he was a small fish.  The only saving grace for MY Town was that we were essentially on our own from the rest of the County, so the rot stayed out once we got rid of it in the early 80's (Mayor Councilmen and Police Chief all arrested for corruption).  When the NJSP came to take the chief the LAST thing they expected was the majority of the PD giving them a standing ovation as they led him out.  By the time I started in 87 things had gotten a whole lot better.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This. Though if the exiting-wipers used something like DBAN to wipe the computers... it'll be a lot harder to recover anything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am curious why race is added.  If it is just your usual small town political BS, why include her race as though it is an issue - unless of course the media is just up to their old tricks.

Since it was a Dem-led administration i would assume that DOJ wouldnt be too forthcoming with assets
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#11]
ZFG

Good riddance.  New job openings.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ZFG

View Quote

Or better yet, no new job openings.  A whole lotta budget room just freed up... maybe a property tax refund?    
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Or better yet, no new job openings.  A whole lotta budget room just freed up... maybe a property tax refund?    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ZFG

Yeah, ok.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Town replaces Democrat mayor with Republican, 80% of the police resign.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, ok.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ZFG

Yeah, ok.

Hey, you can at least hope for the right thing, can't you?

It's a town of 700 fucking people.  There shouldn't even be a fucking mayor or a police force.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's a town of 700 fucking people.  There shouldn't even be a fucking mayor or a police force.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ZFG

Yeah, ok.

They do have a small chunk of crime.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Maybe, but they're also in a county which I'm assuming has a sheriff's department.  There's no way in hell that a town of less than 1,000 people, where according to Wikipedia:

The median income for a household in the city was $18,804, and the median income for a family was $23,333. Males had a median income of $24,444 versus $15,804 for females. The per capita income for the city was $11,031. About 29.5% of families and 34.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 53.8% of those under age 18 and 15.0% of those age 65 or over.

is supporting all that government.  Where is the money coming from?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The city is .62 square miles and one shop represents about 13% of all their robberies and burglaries.  

Like Nelson, Parma convenience store owner Lisa Kirk found news that the town had a six-person police force curious, saying she seldom saw much of a patrol. Over the past decade, she said, her shop has been burglarized or robbed nine times.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
At first, I was like "80%"

But then I learned that's only 5 out of 6.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
At first, I was like "80%"

But then I learned that's only 5 out of 6.

In for more details

Quoted:

Bigger thing to look at is, not the cops. Cops come and go.

When the city attorney AND the shit plant operator both pop smoke, THAT's a clue.

Either she is swooping in to clean up a buncha good-ol-boy nonsense, or she is going to obama that municipality, R or not.

Sounds like some wisdom in here
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The city is .62 square miles and one shop represents about 13% of all their robberies and burglaries.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like Nelson, Parma convenience store owner Lisa Kirk found news that the town had a six-person police force curious, saying she seldom saw much of a patrol. Over the past decade, she said, her shop has been burglarized or robbed nine times.

They consider the 1 year they didn't get robbed their Golden Age.  

I wonder, out of the 9 cases, how many arrests and convictions there were.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Maybe, but they're also in a county which I'm assuming has a sheriff's department.  There's no way in hell that a town of less than 1,000 people, where according to Wikipedia:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The median income for a household in the city was $18,804, and the median income for a family was $23,333. Males had a median income of $24,444 versus $15,804 for females. The per capita income for the city was $11,031. About 29.5% of families and 34.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 53.8% of those under age 18 and 15.0% of those age 65 or over.

I would laugh if the county charged them just as much.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

It look to me like the county (or state, or feds) is paying for their cops and other government anyway.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It look to me like the county (or state, or feds) is paying for their cops and other government anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, the town is paying nothing?

Even better.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So?

I came from a similar sized town in the region.  5 full time cops would be ridiculous.  If they were all on duty at once, they could respond to any call in under 2 minutes ON FOOT.  I did just read somewhere that at least a couple of them were reserves, though, which means the chief's buddies had to turn in their badges when the chief did, there were maybe 2 or 3 real cops, tops.

What some of us have been lambasting for about 5 pages is all the crime statistics people have been throwing up to justify 5 cops in a square less than a mile/side.  If one cop made one arrest a day there, 50% of the population would be in jail.  With a population of 740, a single homicide would triple the national homicide rate from 2013.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I came from a similar sized town in the region.  5 full time cops would be ridiculous.  If they were all on duty at once, they could respond to any call in under 2 minutes ON FOOT.  I did just read somewhere that at least a couple of them were reserves, though, which means the chief's buddies had to turn in their badges when the chief did, there were maybe 2 or 3 real cops, tops.

What some of us have been lambasting for about 5 pages is all the crime statistics people have been throwing up to justify 5 cops in a square less than a mile/side.  If one cop made one arrest a day there, 50% of the population would be in jail.  With a population of 740, a single homicide would triple the national homicide rate from 2013.
View Quote

Parma, MO, sounds like it could solve about 87% of it's "crime problem" with an AR15 behind the counter of one kwik-mart.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So?

Probably ghost employees.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So?

They werent all full time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I came from a similar sized town in the region.  5 full time cops would be ridiculous.  If they were all on duty at once, they could respond to any call in under 2 minutes ON FOOT. I did just read somewhere that at least a couple of them were reserves, though, which means the chief's buddies had to turn in their badges when the chief did, there were maybe 2 or 3 real cops, tops.

Yeah, I know.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#30]
So they wiped all the records?  

Cool.  "Sorry we have no official record of you ever having worked here.  Pension benefits Denied!"

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Cool.  "Sorry we have no official record of you ever having worked here.  Pension benefits Denied!"

View Quote

Once again,  they don't HAVE a pension. The dept was mainly reservists and part timers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#33]
My guess is, a few of the officers that "resigned" don't actually exist and the records were wiped in an attempt to hide embezzlement in the form of employees on paper only.

Take a look at Google maps, there's no friggin way they needed six officers.  That place has no highway nearby to get traffic revenue off of so it's not that.

Those officers simply didn't exist.  My bets are their PAYCHECKS were still cashed though...
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The minumum number of cops that should ever be on duty is two plus a supervisor. Doesnt matter if you have 740 people or 74,000 thats the minimum.

If you cant afford that you shouldnt have your own PD and should instead contract with a larger agency for police services.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

6 cops for 740 people? Seems unnecessary anyways.

I think this new mayor may have just saved this town some money.

The minumum number of cops that should ever be on duty is two plus a supervisor. Doesnt matter if you have 740 people or 74,000 thats the minimum.

If you cant afford that you shouldnt have your own PD and should instead contract with a larger agency for police services.
If you only knew the vast number of small towns with only one on. Some towns only have one hired. I knew a place that had one and he also was the water dept.
and the tax dept. It was not uncommon to see him digging up water lines while in a police uniform. He was one, though, you did not screw around with.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Once again,  they don't HAVE a pension. The dept was mainly reservists and part timers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to the article it wasn't just the cops that resigned and wiped the records.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My guess is, a few of the officers that "resigned" don't actually exist and the records were wiped in an attempt to hide embezzlement in the form of employees on paper only.

Take a look at Google maps, there's no friggin way they needed six officers.  That place has no highway nearby to get traffic revenue off of so it's not that.

Those officers simply didn't exist.  My bets are their PAYCHECKS were still cashed though...
View Quote

Reserve officers don't get paychecks.   Also, the  city payroll would have the  pay records, not the police dept.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Ever hear of an Affidavit of Fact? How about pay stubs?

Nice thought, but it wouldn't work.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or they were really fired but allowed to resign. Wouldn't be the first time a newly elected black mayor has racially purged white police officers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparently they all know her from the previous job. Sometimes it's better to leave than to stick around and hope for the best (sounds like the new mayor may have an enemy's list).
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Reserve officers don't get paychecks.   Also, the  city payroll would have the  pay records, not the police dept.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your universal statement doesn't seem to be universal.

$29.16/hr = nothing.

PS:  I know that I'm being ignored which really hurts my feels.  This is for other folks to understand the level of BS in some of these posts.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Found this:  There's not much info about Ms. Byrd online.  Ain't a whole lot of pictures; couldn't tell you what platform she ran on or what speeches she made but I'm pretty sure this is more than just about her race - this is about her.  If had it been some clueless brown bimbo becoming Mayor, I doubt they would've resigned.  But Parma elected her.  Something about Tyrus Byrd was apparently so terrifying that these fools literally fled before her..

Commenters have pointed out that these people were quitting their jobs - giving up actual income - in this economy, so you already know it was serious.  After all, wiping the computers before they left is a crime.  Commenters have pointed out that those computers and the data they stored were paid for by taxpayers; ergo, the data was city property and thereby public record.  Since Byrd is a former city clerk herself, and she keeps saying her first order of business is to "clean up the city", I think she knows what went down, or at least has a pretty good idea.

Because of the missing records, Byrd said that she couldn’t comment on the resignations until she had more information.
View Quote

So it doesn't fit the GD paradigm that she must have simply been a black cop hating welfare hag?  This simply cannot be.  Surely there will be some heads that will explode.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Or they were really fired but allowed to resign. Wouldn't be the first time a newly elected black mayor has racially purged white police officers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing you're both wrong.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Just do what my old home town did, pop 480, just use the Sheriff's dept
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
6 cops for 740 people? Seems unnecessary anyways.

I think this new mayor may have just saved this town some money.
View Quote

I think we have one per thousand in my area.  Podunk town.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

$29.16/hr = nothing.

PS:  I know that I'm being ignored which really hurts my feels.  This is for other folks to understand the level of BS in some of these posts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$29.16/hr = nothing.

Different areas have different types of reserves.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Something something broad brush something.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And, maybe J i A has some information on the reserves in that area?

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a town of 700 in Missouri.  I'm just playing the odds here.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Theres gotta be more to the story. Hell, I hope theres more to the story!
View Quote

Five people quit. Small town politics. It isn't like 100 cops walked out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#50]
The cops there don't worry about cardio because any pursuit that involves running is going to leave their jurisdiction in under a minute.

ETA:  Also, population 740 was during the heydays of alfalfa farming, Google puts them at 675 now.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top