Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 4/20/2015 8:17:32 PM EDT
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — By his own telling, the first time Walter L. Scott went to jail for failure to pay child support, it sent his life into a tailspin.

Walter Scott U.S. Coast Guard Photo

He lost what he called “the best job I ever had” when he spent two weeks in jail. Some years he paid. More recently, he had not. Two years ago, when his debt reached nearly $8,000 and he missed a court date, a warrant was issued for his arrest. By last month, the amount had more than doubled, to just over $18,000.

That warrant, his family now speculates, loomed large in Mr. Scott’s death. On April 4, he was pulled over for a broken taillight, fled on foot and, after a scuffle with a police officer, was fatally shot in the back.

The warrant, the threat of another stay behind bars and the potential loss of yet another job caused him to run, a brother, Rodney Scott, said.

“Every job he has had, he has gotten fired from because he went to jail because he was locked up for child support,” said Mr. Scott, whose brother was working as a forklift operator when he died. “He got to the point where he felt like it defeated the purpose.”

Rodney Scott said that he sometimes thought his brother did not do everything he could to catch up, but that Walter seemed to consider it a hopeless cause. He recalled seeing his brother plead to a judge that he just did not make enough money.

“He asked the judge, ‘How am I supposed to live?’ ” Mr. Scott said. “And the judge said something like, ‘That’s your problem. You figure it out.’ ”

more at link

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/20/us/skip-child-support-go-to-jail-lose-job-repeat.html?_r=0
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Good shoot then!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I just dont get it.  NOTHING good is going to come from running.

Yeah, you might go to jail for 18K in back child support, but are definitely going to jail if you run....or worse.

Don't run.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Didnt he have a mercedes on dubs?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If you can't feed em don't breed em.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
How about you know paying the fucking child support when he was working.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like he was... until the state fucked up and ruined his life.

"In an article about a parenting program published in The Post and Courier of Charleston in 2003, Mr. Scott said that he had fallen behind when the checks he sent to a state agency for his ex-wife were mistakenly directed to the mother of his first children. (The South Carolina Department of Social Services, citing privacy laws, said it could not verify his account.)

Mr. Scott eventually spent two weeks in jail — a stint that cost him a $35,000-a-year job at a filmmaking company and sent him into isolation and alcohol abuse, he told The Post and Courier.

“I got mad at everybody in the whole world because I just lost the best job I ever had,” he said. “I just stopped doing everything.”

Meanwhile under the current system, the mother is not required to work and not required to show the money she gets is even spent on the kid, and unless the father has the money to paid for lawyers to try and get custody (her lawyers are free from Legal Aid), he's just out of luck or in this case dead.

But he did try.  

In 2002, Mr. Scott, further behind on his payments, agreed to participate in a parenting program called Father to Father and pay $350 a month. Mr. Scott reunited with his family, turned himself in for the unpaid child support.

The court then promptly put him in jail for 5 months.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Running did not justify shooting him in the back...or front...or side.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

"In an article about a parenting program published in The Post and Courier of Charleston in 2003, Mr. Scott said that he had fallen behind when the checks he sent to a state agency for his ex-wife were mistakenly directed to the mother of his first children. (The South Carolina Department of Social Services, citing privacy laws, said it could not verify his account.)

Mr. Scott eventually spent two weeks in jail — a stint that cost him a $35,000-a-year job at a filmmaking company and sent him into isolation and alcohol abuse, he told The Post and Courier.

“I got mad at everybody in the whole world because I just lost the best job I ever had,” he said. “I just stopped doing everything.”

Meanwhile under the current system, the mother is not required to work and not required to show the money she gets is even spent on the kid, and unless the father has the money to paid for lawyers to try and get custody (her lawyers are free from Legal Aid), he's just out of luck or in this case dead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm not verified but I suppose you can see that happening.  Then again where were the cheques cashed? First wife cash em?

If true cause for law suit?

Also two weeks in jail pretty harsh to lose a job just for that if the story is correct.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#10]
OP might want to change this to "Child support was why..." as the thread title.

There will be horror stories to follow.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn't he get physical with the officer and try to grab his taser?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Once you "scuffle" with the police, all bets are off.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — By his own telling, the first time Walter L. Scott went to jail for failure to pay child support, it sent his life into a tailspin.

He lost what he called “the best job I ever had” when he spent two weeks in jail. Some years he paid. More recently, he had not. Two years ago, when his debt reached nearly $8,000 and he missed a court date, a warrant was issued for his arrest. By last month, the amount had more than doubled, to just over $18,000.

That warrant, his family now speculates, loomed large in Mr. Scott’s death. On April 4, he was pulled over for a broken taillight, fled on foot and, after a scuffle with a police officer, was fatally shot in the back.

The warrant, the threat of another stay behind bars and the potential loss of yet another job caused him to run, a brother, Rodney Scott, said.

“Every job he has had, he has gotten fired from because he went to jail because he was locked up for child support,” said Mr. Scott, whose brother was working as a forklift operator when he died. “He got to the point where he felt like it defeated the purpose.”

Rodney Scott said that he sometimes thought his brother did not do everything he could to catch up, but that Walter seemed to consider it a hopeless cause. He recalled seeing his brother plead to a judge that he just did not make enough money.

“He asked the judge, ‘How am I supposed to live?’ ” Mr. Scott said. “And the judge said something like, ‘That’s your problem. You figure it out.’ ”

more at link

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/20/us/skip-child-support-go-to-jail-lose-job-repeat.html?_r=0
View Quote

I injured myself on the job.  My child support was $625/month.  I received 984.26/month while I was off. Court could give a rats ass less, I survived on 359.26/month for 6 months. Lucky I saved but it drained me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

He may be a POS, but yes.

Sadly, many cops aren't qualified for the job they hold.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I gotta admit, I feel for the guy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Meh he was buying a Mercedes. His priorities were fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I injured myself on the job.  My child support was $625/month.  I received 984.26/month while I was off. Court could give a rats ass less, I survived on 359.26/month for 6 months. Lucky I saved but it drained me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

more at link

Now imagine you have been thrown in jail, lost your job, and every time you got a new job, before you could hope to get caught up you were throw in jail again, then lose your job again.

Now imagine this had been going on for years.  You now have no hope of ever getting caught up.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Casual sex, casual breeding, casual matrimony, etc.  actions have consequences.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#19]
The fucking gov needs to get out of the child support business.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

High mile used Mercedes and BMW's are about the cheapest cars you can find because they are not worth fixing if they break down.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just dont get it.  NOTHING good is going to come from running.

Yeah, you might go to jail for 18K in back child support, but are definitely going to jail if you run....or worse.

Don't run.
View Quote

I have mentioned this shit in several threads were people were looking at minor jail time or probably no jail time and decided to run/fight with the cops and died.. I get fighting or running if you an escaped con, looking at life, or similar...cost of doing business. Shop lifting, stolen Drivers License, felon in possession...even a shitty lawyer can beat a lot of those charges, but no lawyer can sue you back to life.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

more at link

True  - my brothers EX would claim she didn't receive the $$ , brother had the canceled checks to prove she had cashed them. DIDN'T matter.
I can sure see how that kind of stuff could cause a man to lose hope.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit...

Professionals should act like professionals...

All bets off is a fucking amateur emotional response. And even the cops I know (and the three ex cops that work for me) think the cop in question fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like Wally got his wish, no more child support payments
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Now imagine you have been thrown in jail, lost your job, and every time you got a new job, before you could hope to get caught up you were throw in jail again, would lose you job again.

Now imagine this had been going on for years.  You now have no hope of ever getting caught up.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

more at link

Now imagine you have been thrown in jail, lost your job, and every time you got a new job, before you could hope to get caught up you were throw in jail again, would lose you job again.

Believe me, it crossed my mind. I was lucky child support ended 1 year after I was able to work again.  

A court date to amend such support was at least a 6 month wait, unless the ex's attorney asked for a continuance. Which they could do several time.   Then it went to 2 years.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#26]
The money from the new car and rims came from where?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has the cop been charged with manslaughter or similar?  If so, that seems to negate your "Touch me and I can kill you" policing.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Casual sex, casual breeding, casual matrimony, etc.  actions have consequences.
View Quote

While your statement in and of itself IS true, you do realize the whole child support BS raping of men occurs in many instances where matrimony is taken seriously..right?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bullshit...

All bets off is a fucking amateur emotional response. And even the cops I know (and the three ex cops that work for me) think the cop in question fucked up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit...

I agree with you 100% but your expecting way to much from some police.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

High mile used Mercedes and BMW's are about the cheapest cars you can find because they are not worth fixing if they break down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well duh because the maintenance cost are ridiculous. A $3k Honda or Toyota is way more practical than $3k Mercedes, people only buy old BMWs/Mercedes because of status quo.
As I said his priorities were fucked up. Rims were more important than his responsibilities.
I'd ride a bicycle to work if it meant taking care of my kids even without the threat of jail, but then again my priorities aren't fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Our legal system is an atrocity.  Unfortunately this will just result in bitching about racism rather than change to the system.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Bullshit...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit...

A foreseeable consequence of "scuffling" with the police is getting shot.

We can tease out a continuum where it is or is not justified, but once you fight a cop, don't cry about getting shot.

Know how to significantly mitigate the likelihood of getting shot?  

Don't scuffle and or resist arrest for minor violations.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Dead beats every were. But being shot and killed for it, not right.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Now imagine you have been thrown in jail, lost your job, and every time you got a new job, before you could hope to get caught up you were throw in jail again, then lose your job again.

View Quote

boo hoo. its a shitty hand, but that is the hand he was dealt & he made the decision to play pimp my ride instead of taking care of his kids.

You know what I did when I had more spare time than spare change? I got a spare job and worked 7 days a week. its not hard to get ahead when you are too tired to spend money from working 80+ hours a week.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Waco is ok but this guy? Nah, he earned it. Fucking GD.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Has the cop been charged with manslaughter or similar?  If so, that seems to negate your "Touch me and I can kill you" policing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not advocating what the cop did, I am commenting on the forseeability of the outcome.

Change the facts to something innocuous, like riding a motorcycle.

The possibility of severe injury, even when the rider is not at fault, is significantly higher than riding in a car.  

I mitigate this risk by not owning or riding motorcycles.

I mitigate the getting shot by the cops risk by avoiding "scuffles" with them and complying with their direction if I am pulled over.

I rarely get shot at by police officers.

ETA typo
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

http://wciv.images.worldnow.com/images/7405957_G.jpg

boo hoo. its a shitty hand, but that is the hand he was dealt & he made the decision to play pimp my ride instead of taking care of his kids.

You know what I did when I had more spare time than spare change? I got a spare job and worked 7 days a week. its not hard to get ahead when you are too tired to spend money from working 80+ hours a week.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

for all we know those shitty rims may have been on that POS car when he bought it.  Does that really look like a car that would impress many women?

Not quite the thug everyone makes him out to be

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before I bother to take your statement with anything more than a grain of salt and a gallon of water...where you paying child support at the time?  Cause I can pretty much guarantee you you wouldn't be able to keep that up for 18+ years.

ETA: As mentioned by the above poster, we have no idea if he bought the car that way.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Waco is ok but this guy? Nah, he earned it. Fucking GD.
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#40]

I would not send a check to her to spend as she likes and would not expect her to send me money. if you cant take care of them you don't deserve them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Unless you can run +1300 FPS him running away in the open & daylight was pretty stupid .

Not taking care of or providing for your children is also pretty stupid and low.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I know there has to be some punishment for not making payments, but putting people in jail has to be the definition of counter-productive in regards to this situation.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

But he did try.  

In 2002, Mr. Scott, further behind on his payments, agreed to participate in a parenting program called Father to Father and pay $350 a month. Mr. Scott reunited with his family, turned himself in for the unpaid child support.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he did try.  

Debtors prison?  
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#44]
It always amazes me when people start bashing the police when stuff like this happens. Scott started with the cop. He grabbed his tazer. Like someone else said, all bets are off. Bottom line is the same in everyone of these situations that have made the news lately.Where would each one of these guys who died while being arrested be now if they would have just placed their hands behind their back and not fougjt the cop ? I will tell you, ALIVE, in jail. When you are being placed under arrest, thats it, you are under arrest ! You dont have the right to fight the cop. If its a bad arrest, which does happen, then yoiu will have your day in court and a lawsuit. But otherwise dont fight and you will still be alive. Does anyone really think that a cop is supposed to just say ok you dont want to be arrested today so go ahead and leave because I dont want to upset you. Get real, dont run dont fight and you dont get shot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#45]
I bet the one who is really crying is the mother who gets nothing now.    She's probably sobbing, "He owed me $18,000 and now I'll get nothing."
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Debtors prison?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he did try.  

Debtors prison?  

Can not earn money if you are in jail.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#47]
No person should go to jail or even be threatened with jail time for delinquent child support. It amounts to debtor's prison.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Before I bother to take your statement with anything more than a grain of salt and a gallon of water...where you paying child support at the time?  Cause I can pretty much guarantee you you wouldn't be able to keep that up for 18+ years.

ETA: As mentioned by the above poster, we have no idea if he bought the car that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's quite obvious that he wasn't. Still, I can barely hear him from way up on that high horse.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Unless you can run +1300 FPS him running away in the open & daylight was pretty stupid .

Not taking care of or providing for your children is also pretty stupid and low.
View Quote

Umm..it became the mothers job to take care of the children when she went after custody.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

for all we know those shitty rims may have been on that POS car when he bought it.  Does that really look like a car that would impress many women?

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article10161431.ece/alternates/w460/walter-scott.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article10161431.ece/alternates/w460/walter-scott.jpg

So this guy was also in the military. Your point?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top