Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More awesomeness in the land of the free.  
View Quote

And now you know why I start throwing things when I hear Lee Greenwood sing that sad sack of a bullshit song.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I'll pack up my box and go home.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yea, there's no "e" in braking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If brakes can fail due to a software issue as mentioned in the article, that is the fault of the manufacturer for making that even a remote possibility in the first place.  Last time I checked it was all still based on putting some pressure on some fluid.

On my 2013 Toyota the car can apply full brakeing if it thinks you are trying to panic stop.

And in other cars the car can even apply brakeing automatically if it senses something info front of it.

That all has to be computer controlled.

Yea, there's no "e" in braking.

Fuck fail. Haha

I had breaking which was a fail then flipped some letters around and came up with brakeing. I need a break
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
BTW - all of you gearheads who are filled with righteous indignation at the notion of not being legally allowed to reverse engineer something you bought and paid for, by punishment of law?

Welcome to my world. Bullshit, ain't it?
View Quote

I need to see if a factory powertrain control module will launch well from my skeet launcher.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#7]

New dealer tech in training?

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]

I'm putting aftermarket cruise control in my cucv, btw.  I should have it done by the shoot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I need to see if a factory powertrain control module will launch well from my skeet launcher.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW - all of you gearheads who are filled with righteous indignation at the notion of not being legally allowed to reverse engineer something you bought and paid for, by punishment of law?

Welcome to my world. Bullshit, ain't it?

EECIV will absolutely fly from a launcher.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm putting aftermarket cruise control in my cucv, btw.  I should have it done by the shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Brick meet gas pedal.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#11]
This type of shit is what makes a Factory Five car or a restomodded 65 Mustang seem like a better option than buying new.

427cu clevor in a 2500-2800 pound car with no abs/traction control with only a basic fuel injection ECU for coil on plug ignition and that is it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And at my last service I asked how much a brake job would be for my car. $850!!!

$850, for a fucking RAV4. I don't think so.
View Quote

As usual, follow the money.

THIS is the real reason.

TC
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Brick meet gas pedal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brick meet gas pedal.

Pedal to metal, I can peg the needle past 85 indicated.  85 indicated is about 78 or 79 actual, I think.

I'm trying to get decent mileage tho, by keeping around 60 actual.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

On my 2013 Toyota the car can apply full braking if it thinks you are trying to panic stop.

And in other cars the car can even apply braking automatically if it senses something info front of it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If brakes can fail due to a software issue as mentioned in the article, that is the fault of the manufacturer for making that even a remote possibility in the first place.  Last time I checked it was all still based on putting some pressure on some fluid.

On my 2013 Toyota the car can apply full braking if it thinks you are trying to panic stop.

And in other cars the car can even apply braking automatically if it senses something info front of it.

That along w/ performance oriented steering and shifting capabilities is all great.  But, what kind of idiot designs a car in such a manner that an electrical or code glitch will result in no manual control of the steering, brakes or neutral/clutch functions?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Pedal to metal, I can peg the needle past 85 indicated.  85 indicated is about 78 or 79 actual, I think.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brick meet gas pedal.

Can't wait to see it. Did you get the transfer case shifter sorted out? If not I'll look at it there.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Prophetic, ain't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uukZgfHZIoc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck em.

My uncle has a country place that no one knows about.

Prophetic, ain't it?

Amazing. I hate Rush so I never heard that song.  They get it apparently.

Brilliant song.

TC
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I should buy a 3D printer and print car parts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can't wait to see it. Did you get the transfer case shifter sorted out? If not I'll look at it there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brick meet gas pedal.

Yep, got that sorted out.  The little plastic indicator was broken.  I did surgery on it and repainted the indicator.

To get the 4WD light working, I had to drill a hole in the floor above the Transfer case so I could fit an extension down there.  I had to put a deep well socket on the switch, extension through the floor of the cab, breaker on the extension and a long lever on the breaker.  It was on there gorilla tight.   Rehabbed the switch by soaking it in gasoline and working the button by hand until the switch closed resistance read under 50 ohms.

Thanks for the offer, tho.   I still need to replace the heater core if you get bored or something.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Brilliant song.

TC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck em.

Prophetic, ain't it?

Brilliant song.

TC

I posted the one with the lyrics printed for a reason.

And you can thank their drummer Neil Peart for that. He writes most of the lyrics. Back when this song was written, he was on kind of an Ayn Rand kick.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That along w/ performance oriented steering and shifting capabilities is all great.  But, what kind of idiot designs a car in such a manner that an electrical or code glitch will result in no manual control of the steering, brakes or neutral/clutch functions?
View Quote

Manufacturers who are pinched between CAFE/EPA standards on one side and NHTSA on the other.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Why I drive 95 volvo

Stage 3 tune
Over 300k miles

Doing a full suspension soon
Just did the brakes calipers etc

Fuck em, I'd rather keep dumping cash into this car than put up with that shit.
I still got a throttle cable too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#22]
guess I will drive my 94 toyota 4x4 for another 20 years
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#23]
These issues really are top of my list as to why I do not want a 2015 mustang.

My 2005 is right about where I am happy if I could just go back to a non fly-by-wire throttle body.

I downright love my 95.   Probably be happiest with a restomod using an ECU just for fuel injection/timing/spark on say a coyote crate motor.    Otherwise nothing else to include a full manual steering rack.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Yep, got that sorted out.  The little plastic indicator was broken.  I did surgery on it and repainted the indicator.

To get the 4WD light working, I had to drill a hole in the floor above the Transfer case so I could fit an extension down there.  I had to put a deep well socket on the switch, extension through the floor of the cab, breaker on the extension and a long lever on the breaker.  It was on there gorilla tight.   Rehabbed the switch by soaking it in gasoline and working the button by hand until the switch closed resistance read under 50 ohms.

Thanks for the offer, tho.   I still need to replace the heater core if you get bored or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted: Brick meet gas pedal.

Its easy. There is just one little plastic piece on the box that can that is a bitch to find and the air duct hoses will probably crumble.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

And you can thank their drummer Neil Peart for that. He writes most of the lyrics. Back when this song was written, he was on kind of an Ayn Rand kick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck em.

Prophetic, ain't it?

Brilliant song.

TC

It's one of my favorite songs when I'm riding in my Shelby. I'll make my own fuel and venture out on rare summer nights if it comes to it. Should you see a red streak, hear the howl of a turbo, and a screaming BOV just wave and know that I'm living free if only for a moment.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

lol

Fuck you, I'll do what I want
View Quote
You'll catch the felony breath

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
  It's one of my favorite songs when I'm riding in my Shelby. I'll make my own fuel and venture out on rare summer nights if it comes to it. Should you see a red streak, hear the howl of a turbo, and a screaming BOV just wave and know that I'm living free if only for a moment.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/989/medium/DSCN4576.JPG
View Quote

<-- Brewed on your own, tax free.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, since I wouldn't own a vehicle that had an airbag,OBDII computer, and I only drive vehicles with a stick shift, none of this applies to me.

But I am against any legislation that restricts what some one can do with their own property.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, since I wouldn't own a vehicle that had an airbag,OBDII computer, and I only drive vehicles with a stick shift, none of this applies to me.
But I am against any legislation that restricts what some one can do with their own property.
View Quote

I remember having the ability to do this, year round.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#32]
They have already done it in many ways.  It is called CANBUS.

Have a 4 year old Nissan?  Want to replace the power window motor yourself?   Joke is on you.   Sure, you can hop on E-Bay & buy a replacement.  But until the dealer plugs in to the BCM, and enables the ESN on the "new" motor it will not run.   And fuck you in the ass if it is a generic Chinese replacement....

Have a car that needs an A/C compressor?  Grab a reman, install it & service the system...   No go Joe.  The ESN needs to be programmed in to the PCM / BCM  Oh wait - the compressor you put in was the correct prat, but was from a vehicle that was a year older.  The BCM will not recognize the ESN in that range.  Fuck you deep in the ass - the stealership must put ANOTHER compressor in for you.

I am going to keep my 1993 F150 another couple of decades.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I need to get crackin' on my Cummins conversion in this.

<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/user/bailey123_album/media/burb1_zpsc2ecb1b7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q176/bailey123_album/burb1_zpsc2ecb1b7.jpg</a>
View Quote

Put an old 6.2 diesel and th400 in it and pretend it's a stretched cucv.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm really jealous of you guys that live in dry desert climates, sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#35]
This isn't going to go as intended, like most of the bullshit DCMA.  Anyone remember the Perl code t-shirts of how to decrypt DVDs?

Hoe much processing power does a ECU take?  I see a Raspberry Pi in the cars of the future.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Automakers think ECU's are black magic. I was using open source tuning on my wrx when I was 17.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Automakers think ECU's are black magic. I was using open source tuning on my wrx when I was 17.
View Quote

This is what gives me hope for the future.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't even know where to start with all the crap in that article.

Anyone who's looked at the network systems of the newer cars will tell you that they're a giant fucking mess. Even basic cars have more modules than you can count on one hand. The luxury cars can have upwards of 30 modules!

I have yet to see anyone do a performance flash that has screwed up any modules other than the PCM.
I'm not saying that they don't exist, but if they do they're not talked about much.

Unless there is some "hybrid performance shop" out there that's tweaking parameters for regen events, I'm calling bullshit on the whole safety aspect of this.

This is nothing more than a power grab for the manufactures.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By killingmachine123

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/989/medium/DSCN4576.JPG

View Quote

Nice 89. i had an 88 with the Super 60 kit. Damn thing was a monster. Sadly it was last seen in a junkyard. Kid that bought it after me slammed into a tree with it. Kid was lucky I had a full cage with 5pts installed in it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, there is a rust free 1965 Barracuda sitting next to it in the driveway too...
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah, there is a rust free 1965 Barracuda sitting next to it in the driveway too...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not with anti lock brakes, computer controlled.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I hate you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate you.
we also have this

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I heard about the nissan headlight bulb where people were talking about removing a fender well or something.

This is the first I head about having to tell the vehicle to make the window motor work, or the ac compressor.  I am just not sure what I would do if I ran into that.  At the very least I guess let it get fixed and then sell it.

Now I want to go read the thread where someone talked about pouring hot wax or motor oil or something in all the crevices of their doors and stuff to keep rust to a minimum.  It coats everything and stops rust from getting started.

At least with a wrangler you can build one from a parts catalog.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I really don't feel like tapping out a rant that would make Leo Tolstoy look succinct, so for the sake of brevity I will second the quoted post.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

Fuck you, I'll do what I want

I really don't feel like tapping out a rant that would make Leo Tolstoy look succinct, so for the sake of brevity I will second the quoted post.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

This.  After reading that fucking bullshit article, and the deliberately misleading statements in it, my hands were shaking in barely constrained rage. So, fuck it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I don't even know where to start with all the crap in that article.

Anyone who's looked at the network systems of the newer cars will tell you that they're a giant fucking mess. Even basic cars have more modules than you can count on one hand. The luxury cars can have upwards of 30 modules!

I have yet to see anyone do a performance flash that has screwed up any modules other than the PCM.

I'm not saying that they don't exist, but if they do they're not talked about much.

Unless there is some "hybrid performance shop" out there that's tweaking parameters for regen events, I'm calling bullshit on the whole safety aspect of this.

This is nothing more than a power grab for the manufactures.
View Quote

Except they are making their pitch to a bunch of people in government that struggle with the self-checkout scanners at Walmart.  Many decisions in Washington are based on the premise of "If I am this stupid then everyone must be this stupid!".

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They have already done it in many ways.  It is called CANBUS.

Have a 4 year old Nissan?  Want to replace the power window motor yourself?   Joke is on you.   Sure, you can hop on E-Bay & buy a replacement.  But until the dealer plugs in to the BCM, and enables the ESN on the "new" motor it will not run.   And fuck you in the ass if it is a generic Chinese replacement....

Have a car that needs an A/C compressor?  Grab a reman, install it & service the system...   No go Joe.  The ESN needs to be programmed in to the PCM / BCM  Oh wait - the compressor you put in was the correct prat, but was from a vehicle that was a year older.  The BCM will not recognize the ESN in that range.  Fuck you deep in the ass - the stealership must put ANOTHER compressor in for you.

View Quote

No Nissan requires registering a power window motor or AC compressor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This isn't going to go as intended, like most of the bullshit DCMA.  Anyone remember the Perl code t-shirts of how to decrypt DVDs?

Hoe much processing power does a ECU take?  I see a Raspberry Pi in the cars of the future.  
View Quote

Google "Megasquirt"
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was more my point.  A computer glitch might make your brakes not perform at optimum factory specs, but at the end of the day, if a computer glitch makes your brakes completely fail that is terrible engineering.

I guess I'm just saying the article is making up false scenarios that won't actually happen.  I've had my brakes fail once because Ford had the brake line going into the rear caliper looped over itself and after about 150k miles it wore a hole in it.  In my mind that's basically the only way brakes can truly "fail," but none of my vehicles have new computer assisted brakes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Fuck that POS (they're all in the junk yard anyway in this state, due to rust - no loss), but...DAT TRUCK, DOE. Off to the right.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top