Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/20/2015 6:21:19 PM EDT
So a nearby city which recently annexed an area that includes my house is now demanding that I pay for city water or they will place a lien against my property.

The only problem is that I don't have city water service. I'm on a private well and always have been. The city knows this and they said "Don't care, you still have to pay because it's an ordinance that says even non-curb stop homes have an obligation to pay for city services."

So Hive Lawyers, am I stuck paying an outrageous ($70/mo) Water bill for water that I don't even have or use?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
So confuse. Can you search your municipal ordinances?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know the answer, but it is shit like this that causes people to build Killdozers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems wrong, hire a lawyer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Just did this with my township. Except with septic. I have a perfectly function septic system but.... I had to pay my fair share of there install on pubic sewer.
My street to the tune of $9,800. Plus. If or when my septic fails I must pay to hook up about another $11,000 and pay a hook up fee to the township.
We tried to fight in court ( not me but I contributed to the lawyer fees) township wins
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Hook into city service, turn on the spigot into your yard, do not turn off...ever.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have water service?

Tell them you will pay the monthly service fee, but you want them to run the line out to your place and provide a connection, on the taxpayers dime of course.

Then call the newspaper.

Beyond that I would find a lawyer that is good at getting stuff grandfathered.

Either that or just tell them to fuck off, what are they going to do otherwise, shut off your water? If you don't ever plan on moving let them lien the place.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just did this with my township. Except with septic. I have a perfectly function septic system but.... I had to pay my fair share of there install on pubic sewer.
My street to the tune of $9,800. Plus. If or when my septic fails I must pay to hook up about another $11,000 and pay a hook up fee to the township.
We tried to fight in court ( not me but I contributed to the lawyer fees) township wins
View Quote

That's even more fucked up. Holy hell!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
How are they calculating your bill without any kind of meter (or even connection?)

How is it they can place a lien against your property for failing to pay a utility bill?    

Where do you live?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#9]
You've been annexed = you're fooked.

If you ever get hooked into city water I'd secretly keep the well live in case SHTF scenario.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Utilities hate private wells, Ban them and then meter the water, its for the children.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How are they calculating your bill without any kind of meter (or even connection?)

How is it they can place a lien against your property for failing to pay a utility bill?    

Where do you live?
View Quote

They aren't calculating anything. $70 is the base rate to pay for their brand new water project that was just completed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
what state are you in?

the city is twisting in the wind out here to come up with ways for this. I have a friend who made an addition to his home, he was recently annexed and due to the additon they want to place a meter on his well, but they say they aren't going to charge him (yer right)

I'm currently fighting with the city over trash service at my business over a similar deal, but I found a loophole (roll off construction dumpers aren't part of the city regulation plan, it takes me 3 months to fill it and its 1/4 the price of the city dumpster PER MONTH)

the city sends their trash service peddler here to bother me, it really chaps his ass to see that big ass dumpster.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#14]
If I'm ever in that position, I'm suing everyone, for everything.

Then, when The Man wins (because he always does), I'm cleaning out all my belongings, walking away, and declaring bankruptcy.  Seven years later, I'll be just fine, and the city who annexed the property in order to steal my money and force me to pay for their expansion can go suck a fucking DICK.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hook into city service, turn on the spigot into your yard, do not turn off...ever.
View Quote

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd be livid.  

I love how people try to force their way into your wallet un invited.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Where do you live?
View Quote

They probably just consider it a tax. It's already been established that the government can tax you for not doing certain things.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They aren't calculating anything. $70 is the base rate to pay for their brand new water project that was just completed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you live?

If you aren't being supplied with water on that system, then that is theft.  Period.  Treat it as such.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Where do you live?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you live?

Ah, well that figures.   Government-owned and operated utilities for the win.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Lawyer up.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ah, well that figures. Government-owned and operated utilities for the win.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do you live?

Imagine if Comcast ran the water supply. Things would be worse than California.
There is simply no winning with infrastructure no matter who runs it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#23]
What exactly are the billing you for?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Lawyer and call the local news.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Don't know the answer, but it is shit like this that causes people to build Killdozers.
View Quote

Yep.  Its usually small bullshit like this that pisses me off the most.  Enough people bitched around here to finally end mandatory trash pickup.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you live?

No one becomes a mandatory customer of comcast because comcast decided to lay fiber in their city/county.

I've lived in cities that had a government-mandated utility monopoly (San Antonio).   The service fucking sucked and there was no lawful alternative.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#27]
wow OP that sucks

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

His "fair share" of what it cost the city to build a water treatment plant.

Imagine if government owned automobile factories.   They'd be charging you a monthly fee for the cost of building the factory whether you bought their shitbox or not.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are billing me for having a "parcel" within city limits, which they say means I have to help pay for their recent water project. There isn't even a pipe that comes onto my property, much less a curb stop or city water supply of any kind. My property is entirely self-contained for everything except electricity. So basically, they are telling me I have to pay for a service I do not receive or they will place a lien on my home.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

More like extorting.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
No one becomes a mandatory customer of comcast because comcast decided to lay fiber in their city/county.

I've lived in cities that had a government-mandated utility monopoly (San Antonio). The service fucking sucked and there was no lawful alternative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've lived in cities that had a government-mandated utility monopoly (San Antonio). The service fucking sucked and there was no lawful alternative.

You think The Cartel (Comcast, Time Warner, Verizon) doesn't get tax payer money to lay fiber?

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you live?

$70 one time, or recurring fee?

Were you annexed before the project was started, and did you have a vote on obligating funds for it?  If no, this seems a "no taxation without representation" issue.

Either way, you have to figure out if lawyering up is even worth it - as in how long would you have to pay for it to cost more than the lawyer fees, even assuming you win... and who owns the courts?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Is this a $70 one time fee?  Yearly?  Monthly?

If it's one time, or just part of a yearly tax bill, I'd grumble and pay it.

Monthly?  I'd call a lawyer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Where do you live OP?  

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
They are billing me for having a "parcel" within city limits, which they say means I have to help pay for their recent water project. There isn't even a pipe that comes onto my property, much less a curb stop or city water supply of any kind. My property is entirely self-contained for everything except electricity. So basically, they are telling me I have to pay for a service I do not receive or they will place a lien on my home.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can thank The Supreme Court for that bullshit.

Was only a time until States and Localities took advantage of it

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You think The Cartel (Comcast, Time Warner, Verizon) doesn't get tax payer money to lay fiber?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they do, they shouldn't.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If I'm ever in that position, I'm suing everyone, for everything.

Then, when The Man wins (because he always does), I'm cleaning out all my belongings, walking away, and declaring bankruptcy.  Seven years later, I'll be just fine, and the city who annexed the property in order to steal my money and force me to pay for their expansion can go suck a fucking DICK.
View Quote

I like the way you think.

As someone said above....a lien don't mean shit till you sell. Don't give them a fucking dime.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Sounds like it's time to move.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Were you annexed before the project was started, and did you have a vote on obligating funds for it?  If no, this seems a "no taxation without representation" issue.

Either way, you have to figure out if lawyering up is even worth it - as in how long would you have to pay for it to cost more than the lawyer fees, even assuming you win... and who owns the courts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you live?

$70 every month forever. But at least it includes the first 1000 gallons of city water for free! The fact that I don't have city water is apparently irrelevant to them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#41]
OP must have no AR.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sounds like it's time to move.
View Quote

I'm considering it (seriously) but I also really like my land.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Sounds like they annexed you and your neighbors to help fund their project. Get with your fellow annexed citizens and sue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#44]
This is why a lot of cities annex property .
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My grandmother just had to pay $12k for the same thing, she's now hooked up and everything is updated.
She's pissed as she has a newer septic system and never had issues but is now on the townships system.
She also just had to get a smart gas meter (as did everyone else in her neighborhood)
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sounds like they annexed you and your neighbors to help fund their project. Get with your fellow annexed citizens and sue.
View Quote

They also annexed because it included a large truck stop / gas station that now has to pay them city taxes. The station and I both opposed to annex. Guess how much difference that made?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is it a special tax?

It doesn't sound like you're being billed for water service. It sounds more like a tax of some kind to pay for a treatment plant?

Either way that's messed up if you're not eligible for water service.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Can you sue them for failure to deliver the services you pay for ? Can you get relief from the state ? I did not see but what state and city ?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This is why a lot of cities annex property .
View Quote

And people shriek and throw feces when you suggest that maybe government shouldn't be involved in providing utilities.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#50]
send them this in lieu of $70
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top