Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He'd have to be blind not to see  it.  Wait! .............
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I imagine that after the Emperor went through such great pains to murder every goddam jedi in the galaxy, he might have also changed the history curriculum to...alter the impact the jedi order had on the founding of the Empire.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personally, I would have expected him to notice the last name similarity, and probably even get teased about it somehow, and it would have taken little to no research to discover Anakin later became a hero Jedi of the Clone Wars where he often fought alongside Obi-Wan Kenobi, whose name Luke did not even recognize in A New Hope though he rightly guessed it was the same person as Ben Kenobi.

Maybe Luke flunked history class.
I imagine that after the Emperor went through such great pains to murder every goddam jedi in the galaxy, he might have also changed the history curriculum to...alter the impact the jedi order had on the founding of the Empire.  

I was under the impression Tatooine wasn't under Imperial control, it was a Hutt world. And it was only 30 years later, lots of locals would have remembered.

I liked the original Timothy Zahn timeline (that Lucas screwed up with the prequels) that placed the Clone Wars 50 - 60 years before the original movie, not 20.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#3]
All he knew up until A New Hope , was that his father was a navigator on spice freighter.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I was under the impression Tatooine wasn't under Imperial control, it was a Hutt world. And it was only 30 years later, lots of locals would have remembered.

I liked the original Timothy Zahn timeline (that Lucas screwed up with the prequels) that placed the Clone Wars 50 - 60 years before the original movie, not 20.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personally, I would have expected him to notice the last name similarity, and probably even get teased about it somehow, and it would have taken little to no research to discover Anakin later became a hero Jedi of the Clone Wars where he often fought alongside Obi-Wan Kenobi, whose name Luke did not even recognize in A New Hope though he rightly guessed it was the same person as Ben Kenobi.

The prequels never happened.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
didn't qui gon ask him something about how many races he had won and he said none?  If so the race we see in the movie is the Only one that he won.  I doubt he was that big of a deal.
View Quote

The Boonta Eve Classic is the biggest podrace in the galaxy and Anakin was the first human to win. So in the Star Wars universe it was a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Luke spent most of his time at Tosche Station picking up power converters.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Anakin Skywalker was the only known human to podrace, and he won the Boonta Eve Classic which was a really big deal on Tatooine. Since Luke also grew up on Tatooine, why didn't he know anything about his father who would have been a local celebrity? I suppose Uncle Owen could have sheltered him, but I'd think he'd have to have no knowledge of local history or pop culture to miss this one.

View Quote
Tatooine was a planet, not some small hoboken city. There is probably some famous dude who did some famous stuff in Kenya that everyone there knows about but almost no on here in America (or the rest of the world) knows who he is or what he did. So not hard to believe Like would not have known much about the pod race.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you refuse to accept that the prequels exist this question becomes easier to explain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The answer is:

Star Wars is shitty as fuck and the story is stupid. The end.

If you refuse to accept that the prequels exist this question becomes easier to explain.

Came to post this.  Spaceballs is a higher level of Star Wars canon than the prequel trilogies in my mind.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Luke spent most of his time at Tosche Station picking up power converters.
View Quote

So next question, was the Tosche Station the local strip club and Power Converter was the name of a fembot?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
IIRC, Luke KNEW Anakin was his father, but that he was killed by Vader. The fact that he was a local celebrity for winning the race would have been an irrelevant point. The detail of Anakin BECOMING Vader is something that wouldn't have been well known given the chaos going on at the time and Vader hoping to conceal his past.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anakin Skywalker was the only known human to podrace, and he won the Boonta Eve Classic which was a really big deal on Tatooine. Since Luke also grew up on Tatooine, why didn't he know anything about his father who would have been a local celebrity? I suppose Uncle Owen could have sheltered him, but I'd think he'd have to have no knowledge of local history or pop culture to miss this one.

He did not know Anakin was his father at all.

IIRC, Luke KNEW Anakin was his father, but that he was killed by Vader. The fact that he was a local celebrity for winning the race would have been an irrelevant point. The detail of Anakin BECOMING Vader is something that wouldn't have been well known given the chaos going on at the time and Vader hoping to conceal his past.

This.  Luke may have very well known that Anakin had won the race.  IIRC, the movies don't dive into that much.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My recollection is that Luke knew that Anakin was his father, but Luke was under the impression (reinforced by Obi-wan) that Vader had murdered Anakin.  He didn't find out the actual truth, that Vader was Anakin, until later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My recollection is that Luke knew that Anakin was his father, but Luke was under the impression (reinforced by Obi-wan) that Vader had murdered Anakin.  He didn't find out the actual truth, that Vader was Anakin, until later.

come on man, how about a spoiler alert next time?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The answer is:

This.

No,  Episodes IV-VI are great movies. Episodes I-III reduce Vader/Anakin to nothing more than a whiny emo bitch.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tatooine was a planet, not some small hoboken city. There is probably some famous dude who did some famous stuff in Kenya that everyone there knows about but almost no on here in America (or the rest of the world knows who he is or what he did. So not hard to believe Like would not have known much about the pod race.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tatooine was a planet, not some small hoboken city. There is probably some famous dude who did some famous stuff in Kenya that everyone there knows about but almost no on here in America (or the rest of the world knows who he is or what he did. So not hard to believe Like would not have known much about the pod race.

There were no podraces though. His father may never have even been on Tatooine in the originals. His "uncle" just knew him from the clone wars.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I'm gonna nerd out for a second.

As you say, Tatooine is a galactic backwater, no where. Mostly under criminal control, and both The Republic and The Empire had pretty much just...let the Hutts do whatever they wanted. Why would the Hutts care about the Clone Wars? They threw in, halfway, with the Separatists... you know, the people that Anakin and Obi Wan were fighting against. Anakin Skywalker, if he were known at all for his clone wars escapades, wouldn't have been fondly remembered, I wager. Further, Lukes Aunt and Uncle went through great pains to write off his father's escapades.

This all bothers me way less than C3PO not recognizing any of tattoine, or even acknolwedging that he had been built there, by a crafty little punk went by the last name of skywalker.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No,  Episodes IV-VI are great movies. Episodes I-III reduce Vader/Anakin to nothing more than a whiny emo bitch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The answer is:

This.

This. While I can sit through III, I-II are pretty terrible and Lucas should choke on a bag of dicks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As you say, Tatooine is a galactic backwater, no where. Mostly under criminal control, and both The Republic and The Empire had pretty much just...let the Hutts do whatever they wanted. Why would the Hutts care about the Clone Wars? They threw in, halfway, with the Separatists... you know, the people that Anakin and Obi Wan were fighting against. Anakin Skywalker, if he were known at all for his clone wars escapades, wouldn't have been fondly remembered, I wager. Further, Lukes Aunt and Uncle went through great pains to write off his father's escapades.

This all bothers me way less than C3PO not recognizing any of tattoine, or even acknolwedging that he had been built there, by a crafty little punk went by the last name of skywalker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had C3PO's memory erased at the end of Ep 3
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Because, George Lucas Lucasfucked Star Wars for money.

Ignore the first three in numerical order and everything is fine again.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I found a picture of OP:

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
His family was Amish, thats why
View Quote

We aren't allowed to use the "A" word any more.   You should know better.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the end of III, Bail Organa orders C-3PO's memory wiped.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

3PO got wiped a bunch.  That little fucker R2 knew what the score was though.  Although perhaps he started suffering droid dementia since he forgot how to use his hover jets over the same period.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#22]

I never liked Family Guy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

C3PO has had his memory wiped multiple times so he would not recall being there. R2 has never had his memory wiped in the entirety of his existence. This is going on info that is no longer cannon though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

3PO got wiped a bunch.  That little fucker R2 knew what the score was though.  Although perhaps he started suffering droid dementia since he forgot how to use his hover jets over the same period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His warranty expired, and the cost of repair for the jets was too much.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I have come to believe that Anakin being Luke's father is the one of the worst movie twists ever.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF is this shit GFC?

When I see your avatar I expect a damn good chuckle - if not an outright guffaw - and delivered in that trademarked witty yet often cutting aplomb.

What's next, a "+1" post?

You fall out of your rocker and hit submit by mistake?

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Vader killed his father

Duuuuuuh . old Ben was talking in philosophical riddles . watch new hope again.. Ben talks about how great a pilot and blah blah his father was
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every. Time.

You get a 2 year warranty and sure as shit, two years and one month out, the fuckin thrusters break.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I can accept 1 and 2, but not 3 and 4. He knew about the Rebellion despite living on a farm far away from everything, you'd think he'd know local recent history. And for 4, his name was uttered by the two-headed announcer dude every twelve seconds during the podrace.

View Quote

He knew about the Rebellion, but that could easily be through his friends rather than access to any particular data source on extra-planetary affairs or even local history. In a deleted scene Luke talked to one of his best friends, Biggs Darklighter, who was on leave from the Imperial Academy. He told Luke that he was going to defect to the rebels.

The most unbelievable thing about StarWars is that Luke had friends, if they'd not cut the scene I simply couldn't have suspended disbelief.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#32]
The answer is: The prequels aren't cannon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I mean, when Luke kissed Leia, what's to say hey didn't fuck and had an incestuous child named Lootie.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#34]
willing suspension of disbelief, it's a fucking fictional movie enjoy the special effects and scantily clad women ignore stupid shit that only nerds focus on.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
willing suspension of disbelief, it's a fucking fictional movie enjoy the special effects and scantily clad women ignore stupid shit that only nerds focus on.
View Quote

But I am a nerd! I can't not be one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Fuck George Lucas with a cactus for saddling us with those shitty prequels.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

A much bigger inconsistency introduced by the stupid prequels is this:

WHY in the world would Obi Wan and Yoda just decide to hang out in empty deserts and swamps for about 18 years or so, doing absolutely nothing - just so they can start training a super-emotional teenager to be a Jedi - when they knew that the primary reason Aniken went to the dark side was because he was TOO OLD to be properly trained (at around age six) and would be unable to control his emotions and resist the dark side.  Obi Was was TOLD this risk by his superiors, and went ahead and trained him anyway, which resulted in the destruction of the Jedi order.  ... but now apparently the same guy who made the catastrophic mistake of training a too-old 6 year-old, thinks it's totally a good idea to train a much older teenager?  How does that make any kind of sense?

Given the whole "midiclorian" explanation in Episode 1, it seems like Obi Wan and Yoda should have spent the last 18 years kidnapping infants with high midiclorian counts from hospital hospital maternity wards (or maybe cloning themselves) and secretly training a new army of rebel jedi knights.
View Quote
Much older AND the son of Darth Vader...

I guess maybe he thought....Fuck it...I don't know.

Just...reasons, man. Reasons.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I can accept 1 and 2, but not 3 and 4. He knew about the Rebellion despite living on a farm far away from everything, you'd think he'd know local recent history. And for 4, his name was uttered by the two-headed announcer dude every twelve seconds during the podrace.
View Quote

He knew about the rebellion because one of his childhood friends (Biggs) joined the rebellion and told him about it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBwbUdRXIAAzyen.jpg

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#40]
How do we know he didn't know about that part of his father?

His uncle would have told him some things about Dad and did in fact lead him to believe that his Father died.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The answer is:

Pretty much this. Episodes 1 to 3? What episodes?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Right, but with the same last name you'd think he'd know about him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, but with the same last name you'd think he'd know about him.

Smith, Skywalker. Same difference.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Why didn't he look on the interwebz and find out more about Anakin Skywalker. Navagator on a spice freighter my ass...
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

He knew about the Rebellion, but that could easily be through his friends rather than access to any particular data source on extra-planetary affairs or even local history. In a deleted scene Luke talked to one of his best friends, Biggs Darklighter, who was on leave from the Imperial Academy. He told Luke that he was going to defect to the rebels.

The most unbelievable thing about StarWars is that Luke had friends, if they'd not cut the scene I simply couldn't have suspended disbelief.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

here ya go..

Linky to cut footage..

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, how do I say it....Luke used this as an excuse to sneak off and toke it up with the Sand People.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A much bigger inconsistency introduced by the stupid prequels is this:

WHY in the world would Obi Wan and Yoda just decide to hang out in empty deserts and swamps for about 18 years or so, doing absolutely nothing - just so they can start training a super-emotional teenager to be a Jedi - when they knew that the primary reason Aniken went to the dark side was because he was TOO OLD to be properly trained (at around age six) and would be unable to control his emotions and resist the dark side.  Obi Was was TOLD this risk by his superiors, and went ahead and trained him anyway, which resulted in the destruction of the Jedi order.  ... but now apparently the same guy who made the catastrophic mistake of training a too-old 6 year-old, thinks it's totally a good idea to train a much older teenager?  How does that make any kind of sense?

Given the whole "midiclorian" explanation in Episode 1, it seems like Obi Wan and Yoda should have spent the last 18 years kidnapping infants with high midiclorian counts from hospital hospital maternity wards (or maybe cloning themselves) and secretly training a new army of rebel jedi knights.
View Quote

The entire Jedi Order had been massacred by the Empire save for Obi Wan and Yoda. If Obi Wan and Yoda had attempted to reform the Order they would have been placing at risk all those children and the cloners weren't going to cross the Emperor.  

Obi Wan takes it upon himself to overwatch Luke and he has seen him develop in a stable family farm upbringing. Luke doesn't have anywhere near the emotion issues of his Father.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have come to believe that Anakin being Luke's father is the one of the worst movie twists ever.
View Quote

Yeah, I agree with that.

There was no reason this needed to be in the story other that excess drama. The story was not improved by that detail in any way.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ah, a sad story that.  It all goes back to the moisture collectors.

They got infected with fungus.  Luke's job was to clean them.  He inhaled a lot of spores so he was basically tripping balls for most of his childhood.  He had an invisible friend named Obi Wan Kenobi who liked to tell Luke that he was special.

The truth is the fungus rotted his brain to the point where the walls between fantasy and reality completely broke down.  He concocted wild stories about space travel and talking droids.

All of it was just the hallucinations talking.  In one violent hallucination he murdered his foster family, screaming that Stormtroopers had done the deed.

He spent the rest of his days at the Vader Clinic For The Criminally Insane ranting about the "force" and how he was a man of destiny.
View Quote

Don't  forget the dangerous blue milk that his Aunt was always pushing!

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

First off, he won ONE race. It isn't like he was Dale Earnhardt.

I bet you could find some local guy who did some big deal at a NASCAR race that 20 years later no one but NASCAR fans know about.  Hell other than a few of the big names, most people who aren't into racing can't name a single race car driver.

So if Luke wasn't into pod racing, he probably wouldn't have ever heard of the guy.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The answer is:

Regardless, even if 1-3 don't exist, someone still made the brilliant decision to hide Luke from Darth Vader and the Empire on Anakin's home planet with his family and the same name. You can't tell me that the Emperor and Vader were so retarded that in their hunt for the Jedi that they up and missed something that flipping obvious - Jedi powers run in bloodlines, they would have been wiping out most Skywalkers (and any other traditional families) even if Luke weren't there.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top