Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 4/20/2015 2:34:32 PM EDT
Anakin Skywalker was the only known human to podrace, and he won the Boonta Eve Classic which was a really big deal on Tatooine. Since Luke also grew up on Tatooine, why didn't he know anything about his father who would have been a local celebrity? I suppose Uncle Owen could have sheltered him, but I'd think he'd have to have no knowledge of local history or pop culture to miss this one.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anakin Skywalker was the only known human to podrace, and he won the Boonta Eve Classic which was a really big deal on Tatooine. Since Luke also grew up on Tatooine, why didn't he know anything about his father who would have been a local celebrity? I suppose Uncle Owen could have sheltered him, but I'd think he'd have to have no knowledge of local history or pop culture to miss this one.

View Quote

He did not know Anakin was his father at all.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Right, but with the same last name you'd think he'd know about him.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The last name may have tipped him off.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure Skywalker is like Smith on Tatooine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The answer is:

Star Wars is shitty as fuck and the story is stupid. The end.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Luke grew up near Anchorhead, and the pod race was in Mos Eisley, a long way away. Also, Vader tried to wipe out as much about his past as possible.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
No internet on Tatooine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"You knew my father?"
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Uh... uh... hey look over there!  It's Jar Jar Binks!

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which, btw, great place to hide Luke Skywalker - with Anakin's family on the planet Anakin grew up on without even a name change. Nobody would ever think anyone would be that stupid
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The answer is:

View Quote

My son Luke and my dog Leia said this in unison to you....

"You shut your whore mouth!!!"

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The answer is:

View Quote

If you refuse to accept that the prequels exist this question becomes easier to explain.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#13]
His "aunt and uncle" kept him sequestered to the sheltered life of a farmboy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Because star wars is retarded.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you see Lukes house?  No fucking way they had internet that far out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The answer is:

View Quote

Locking S Foils in attack position
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No internet on Tatooine.
View Quote

Tip hat to BSWilson
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Keep complaining about plot holes and they'll replace all the blaster rifles with walkie talkies.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, Luke KNEW Anakin was his father, but that he was killed by Vader. The fact that he was a local celebrity for winning the race would have been an irrelevant point. The detail of Anakin BECOMING Vader is something that wouldn't have been well known given the chaos going on at the time and Vader hoping to conceal his past.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#20]
His family was Amish, thats why
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

IIRC, Luke KNEW Anakin was his father, but that he was killed by Vader. The fact that he was a local celebrity for winning the race would have been an irrelevant point. The detail of Anakin BECOMING Vader is something that wouldn't have been well known given the chaos going on at the time and Vader hoping to conceal his past.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#23]
He knew of his father, it is unknown if he knew his father was a pod racer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Luke grew up near Anchorhead, and the pod race was in Mos Eisley, a long way away. Also, Vader tried to wipe out as much about his past as possible.
View Quote

The Boonta Eve Classic takes place in Mos Espa.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew it was Mos Something, I was just out-nerded
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Personally, I would have expected him to notice the last name similarity, and probably even get teased about it somehow, and it would have taken little to no research to discover Anakin later became a hero Jedi of the Clone Wars where he often fought alongside Obi-Wan Kenobi, whose name Luke did not even recognize in A New Hope though he rightly guessed it was the same person as Ben Kenobi.

Maybe Luke flunked history class.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The answer is:

View Quote

Go make out with your Captain Kirk cardboard cutout then!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If you refuse to accept that the prequels exist this question becomes easier to explain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The answer is:

This.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The answer is:

View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

My recollection is that Luke knew that Anakin was his father, but Luke was under the impression (reinforced by Obi-wan) that Vader had murdered Anakin.  He didn't find out the actual truth, that Vader was Anakin, until later.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The answer is:

View Quote

That's just wrong.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#32]
He'd have to be blind not to see  it.  Wait! .............
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My recollection is that Luke knew that Anakin was his father, but Luke was under the impression (reinforced by Obi-wan) that Vader had murdered Anakin.  He didn't find out the actual truth, that Vader was Anakin, until later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair I did have to check Wookiepedia to be sure.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Ah, a sad story that.  It all goes back to the moisture collectors.

They got infected with fungus.  Luke's job was to clean them.  He inhaled a lot of spores so he was basically tripping balls for most of his childhood.  He had an invisible friend named Obi Wan Kenobi who liked to tell Luke that he was special.

The truth is the fungus rotted his brain to the point where the walls between fantasy and reality completely broke down.  He concocted wild stories about space travel and talking droids.

All of it was just the hallucinations talking.  In one violent hallucination he murdered his foster family, screaming that Stormtroopers had done the deed.

He spent the rest of his days at the Vader Clinic For The Criminally Insane ranting about the "force" and how he was a man of destiny.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#36]
1.It is never explicitly stated he doesn't know about it.

2. Stories of Jedi seem to have been wiped from the records. i.e. He doesn't know anything about his father being a "hero" of the clone wars, despite knowing about the war itself.

3. He grew up on a farm and lived far from where the race was held.

4. Anakin was a slave when he won, and immediately left the planet. I can't imagine the people in charge would promote the idea that a slave won their biggest race as a child. Most probably never knew his actual name.

Any of these reasons and probably several more
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not true! That's impossible!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I was going to suggest.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This is correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct.

I just looked it up on youtube.  Fast forward to 4:30: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ_mjtTCdcg
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Because it's a movie.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From a certain point of view.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except when he was going to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

What about all the time he wasted with his friends at Tosche Station?

ETA: Fuck, one second!

But I spelled it right.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
1.It is never explicitly stated he doesn't know about it.

2. Stories of Jedi seem to have been wiped from the records. i.e. He doesn't know anything about his father being a "hero" of the clone wars, despite knowing about the war itself.

3. He grew up on a farm and lived far from where the race was held.

4. Anakin was a slave when he won, and immediately left the planet. I can't imagine the people in charge would promote the idea that a slave won their biggest race as a child. Most probably never knew his actual name.

Any of these reasons and probably several more
View Quote

I can accept 1 and 2, but not 3 and 4. He knew about the Rebellion despite living on a farm far away from everything, you'd think he'd know local recent history. And for 4, his name was uttered by the two-headed announcer dude every twelve seconds during the podrace.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Because it's a movie.
View Quote

This is GD, don't be bringing your fancy-shmancy logic here!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Personally, I would have expected him to notice the last name similarity, and probably even get teased about it somehow, and it would have taken little to no research to discover Anakin later became a hero Jedi of the Clone Wars where he often fought alongside Obi-Wan Kenobi, whose name Luke did not even recognize in A New Hope though he rightly guessed it was the same person as Ben Kenobi.

Maybe Luke flunked history class.
View Quote
I imagine that after the Emperor went through such great pains to murder every goddam jedi in the galaxy, he might have also changed the history curriculum to...alter the impact the jedi order had on the founding of the Empire.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This is correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct.

You see, Luke also never knew that his father was a Jedi Knight or a fighter pilot. He was told he was a spice trader. Now if the prequels don't exist then it gives the explanation that Anakin may have never even been on Tatooine, they never say this in 4-6. We're just supposed to know THIS about Tatooine, it's a shithole where nobody lives and nobody knows anything, nobody goes there, nobody wants to. (George Lucas just wanted some half assed reason to meddle with shit). The podraces never happened, they don't exist.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#50]
didn't qui gon ask him something about how many races he had won and he said none?  If so the race we see in the movie is the Only one that he won.  I doubt he was that big of a deal.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top