Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really like the feature where you can launch a web browser, go to store.apple.com and buy a Mac.
View Quote

You how you can tell that somebody is an Apple fanboy? Reminds me of a bad Scumbag Steve meme...
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You how you can tell that somebody is an Apple fanboy? Reminds me of a bad Scumbag Steve meme...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really like the feature where you can launch a web browser, go to store.apple.com and buy a Mac.

Dude, everybody does this. You just have selective memory.

See also: Every Apple thread ever.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Mind blown
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

you've been able to do that in winnt since forever, iirc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A million years ago when I still had to use Windows for work, I found out you could mount a disk to a mount point like you can in real operating systems.

I am in awe of the size of you ePenis.

it's pretty big

you've been able to do that in winnt since forever, iirc

for a million years or so
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#5]
rm -rf /
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I use the snipping tool a lot.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And you seem to confuse user interfaces with operating systems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a program to make Windows 8.1 look and act like XP.

Fuck the new Windows.

So you like your OS to look like something that it's not.

Interesting.

And you seem to confuse user interfaces with operating systems.

Whoooosh!

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
command prompt
batch files
Windows Explorer ftp client
ctrl c and ctrl v
ipconfig
ping
tracert
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Windows 7+ only, sorry.  Create a folder named: GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Thank me later.
View Quote

?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's like hiring a hooker and beating off while she watches.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All she has to do is pretend like she's really into it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#15]
not windows-specific, but you'd be amazed how many people who don't know that you can scroll through text fields by hitting tab instead of pointing and clicking.

watched a buddy laboriously complete a field, then point-and-click to the next one, and repeat all the way through a form.  i then showed him the tab key.  he thought i was a wizard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#16]
God Mode.

Yes, there is a God Mode.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quick find.

Quick Find allows you to search the code of one or more open documents for a string or expression. The selection moves from match to match, allowing you to review each match in its surrounding context.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I find it surprising how many people dont know how to copy and paste with ctrl+c and ctrl+v
View Quote
I prefer ctrl+insert for copy and shift+insert for paste.  Ctrl+delete is cut.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#19]
CTRL-Option-EH switches your computer's language to Canadian.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
not windows-specific, but you'd be amazed how many people who don't know that you can scroll through text fields by hitting tab instead of pointing and clicking.

watched a buddy laboriously complete a field, then point-and-click to the next one, and repeat all the way through a form.  i then showed him the tab key.  he thought i was a wizard.
View Quote

I wish more web designers were aware of this. I hate using the tab key, expecting my cursor to move to the next text input field, only to find that it's moved to a hyperlink or something.

Details...
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I wish more web designers were aware of this. I hate using the tab key, expecting my cursor to move to the next text input field, only to find that it's moved to a hyperlink or something.

Details...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Details...

I'm so obsessive about this I even set up the tabs on .pdf documents I send out to clients if they have to fill them out, because I assume they're like me and will do it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
CTRL-Option-EH switches your computer's language to Canadian.
View Quote

I just did this, and both of my displays sawed themselves in half horizontally, and are incessantly flapping vertically, while I'm trying to watch Rush videos on YouTube. Asshole.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If you do anything in a cmd prompt, F7 is your friend.

And it's been there since like MS-DOS 2.0. ??
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

the command prompt

If you do anything in a cmd prompt, F7 is your friend.

And it's been there since like MS-DOS 2.0. ??

command history? up and down arrow work too, and tab for auto complete is awesome

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
   I'm so obsessive about this I even set up the tabs on .pdf documents I send out to clients if they have to fill them out, because I assume they're like me and will do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details...

God bless you, for that. Hat-tip to your magnificence. May a squadron of beautiful vaginas find their way to your crotch, by day's end.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Printscreen
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DON'T JUDGE ME! YOU DON'T KNOW MY LIFE!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

God bless you, for that. Hat-tip to your magnificence. May a squadron of beautiful vaginas find their way to your crotch, by day's end.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Details...

Clients I don't care for get reverse-order tabs, however.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Windows 7+ only, sorry.  Create a folder named: GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Thank me later.
?

Do it.  Seriously.  God Mode is awesome.  You don't have to call it God Mode.  That's just the nickname.  Substitute anything you like for it.

SuperControlPanel.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}  if you prefer.  And you can always rename it after creating it without screwing it up.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#30]
When you accidentally close an internet tab, Shift+Control+T reopens it.  Control+T opens a new tab.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

When you accidentally close an internet tab, Shift+Control+T reopens it.

View Quote

I learned something today.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I like the drag to corner auto size feature.  You can click and hold the top center of a window and drag it to the bottom left or right corners of the screen. The window will automatically size to 50% of the screen.  You can then do the same with another window to the opposite corner.  Its a fast way to size windows to take notes or compare data.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

When you accidentally close an internet tab, Shift+Control+T reopens it.  Control+T opens a new tab.
View Quote
To add to this... I set my extra mouse buttons to do these things.

For example <Ctrl+W> closes the current Tab only.  <Shift+Ctrl+W> closes all tabs.

If you have a mouse with a scroll wheel that you can nudge left and right as additional buttons, they are usually defaulted to Zoom In and Zoom out. I change those to Browser Back and Browser Forward.  This is a really handy way to go back to the previous web page when surfing  the web, and especially forums.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#34]
tag
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It works well.  Try it.

Put it on your desktop and then double-click it.  It will bring up the Control Panel in the non-category icon based view and allow you to actually find what you are looking to do versus hunting thru category after category.

ETA: You can also use the search bar to narrow the options down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank me later.

It works well.  Try it.

Put it on your desktop and then double-click it.  It will bring up the Control Panel in the non-category icon based view and allow you to actually find what you are looking to do versus hunting thru category after category.

ETA: You can also use the search bar to narrow the options down.

Pretty cool. I just pinned it to the taskbar!
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm suprised so many people like the snipping tool.  I couldn't stand it since you can't print without saving the image or copying and pasting into another program.   I went with another program for screenshots.

Perhaps W8 is different.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Alt+0216

ØØØ
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm suprised so many people like the snipping tool.  I couldn't stand it since you can't print without saving the image or copying and pasting into another program.   I went with another program for screenshots.

Perhaps W8 is different.
View Quote

After the snip, just open your picture viewing software and CTRL-V or use the menu to edit/paste.  It's simple since the snip is automatically stored in the clipboard (no need to copy) ready to be pasted somewhere.  I use Irfanview for pictures.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Because wasting cycles on OSX steals time from hand-compiling your Slackware kernel like REAL *nix geeks?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I chortled.

Don't tell me you use Apple.

Of course I do. I'm a UNIX geek (and so is Phurba), so why wouldn't I?

Because wasting cycles on OSX steals time from hand-compiling your Slackware kernel like REAL *nix geeks?  

Should I send you a copy of the Slackware '95 CD I have so you can have some old-school fun?  Or do you want to be a REAL *nix geek and roll your own distro, including writing your own device drivers? ;-)

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not to the corners, but to the sides of the screen.

You can also grab the title bar to resize up, drag it all the way up, and the bottom will go all the way down.

This is in Win7, don't know about 8 or 10.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the drag to corner auto size feature.  You can click and hold the top center of a window and drag it to the bottom left or right corners of the screen. The window will automatically size to 50% of the screen.  You can then do the same with another window to the opposite corner.  Its a fast way to size windows to take notes or compare data.

Not to the corners, but to the sides of the screen.

You can also grab the title bar to resize up, drag it all the way up, and the bottom will go all the way down.

This is in Win7, don't know about 8 or 10.

The other (and IMO faster) way is to use Win-Right (or Left) Arrow.  Opposite arrow to unsnap the window.  (ETA - beaten to this one on pg 2)
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details...

+1

And a pox on all those idiots who make "forms" (in either PDF or Word) but who don't use fillable fields, just underline spaces.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#44]
double
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You forgot Cut.  Ctrl+x

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I find it surprising how many people dont know how to copy and paste with ctrl+c and ctrl+v

You forgot Cut.  Ctrl+x

That's great, until you do it from a mapped network drive, hit paste and nothing happens.  And discover that all your files are gone, and there's no recycle bin to go to.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

There used to be a feature where I think you hit Ctrl+Shift+ Arrow to rotate the screen.  That was particularly useful for messing with Co-workers that forgot to lock their computers.  Can't seem to make that work with Windows 8 now.
View Quote
This is video driver dependent.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Yes, I do.

I watched all the tutorials on Windows 8.

It's not better from a UI standpoint, unless you're on a mobile device.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck the new Windows.

Interesting.

Yes, I do.

You just don't know how to use it.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck the new Windows.

Interesting.

Yes, I do.

This (But hey if the Windows XP interface is easier for you go for it, I won't judge)
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What if you're wearing black socks?

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I use the 'snap' feature all the fucking time but it's not so obscure. Perhaps the fact I tweak the every-living shit out of my Windows, (turning of services, increasing pagefiles, registry clean-up, etc.)

Windows is not a bad OS, the myriad of shit 3rd party drivers and software is the real issue(s.) Try to stick to native Windows drivers if you can.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top