BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 129
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have we not discussed the fact I'm a costume wearing nerd?

If not, I do this for fun. There's a comic book movie coming to theatres this weekend. And this Saturday is Free Comic Book Day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Productive day in the costume department. Have every piece for the vest cut, interfacing is being cut out and made ready for fusing, should have it all ready well before Saturday.

October is a long way off.  You seem ahead of the game!

If not, I do this for fun. There's a comic book movie coming to theatres this weekend. And this Saturday is Free Comic Book Day.
Did I tell you about taking my daughter to ComiCon?

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just don't buy an IH 656.  Nothing really wrong with them, but my dad had one when I was a kid and I hated that fucking tractor with a passion.  Mostly because he refused to buy new rear tires for it, and I used it every day for chores.  I had to back a feed grinder around a 90 degree corner every day, onto a downward sloping concrete pad that was slick with pig shit, so I could fill up a hog feeder.  And this was after driving about 50 yards across another muddy, soupy pen.  I got that fucking tractor stuck about once a week, and several times almost slid off the concrete pad into the lagoon of pig shit.  When my dad asked me what I wanted as a high school graduation gift I told him I wanted new tires for the 656.  He just laughed.

I left for college and withing 3 months my dad had bought new tires.    

Fast forward 20 years or so and I joined the local gun club.  Being a sucker who can't say no when people ask for help I got talked into helping out with all kinds of projects and eventually joining the BOD.  And guess what kind of tractor we have at the club?

I'm going to drive that fucker into the kiddie fishing pond some day.
View Quote

I'm sorry, but that makes me laugh.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just don't buy an IH 656.  Nothing really wrong with them, but my dad had one when I was a kid and I hated that fucking tractor with a passion.  Mostly because he refused to buy new rear tires for it, and I used it every day for chores.  I had to back a feed grinder around a 90 degree corner every day, onto a downward sloping concrete pad that was slick with pig shit, so I could fill up a hog feeder.  And this was after driving about 50 yards across another muddy, soupy pen.  I got that fucking tractor stuck about once a week, and several times almost slid off the concrete pad into the lagoon of pig shit.  When my dad asked me what I wanted as a high school graduation gift I told him I wanted new tires for the 656.  He just laughed.

Fast forward 20 years or so and I joined the local gun club.  Being a sucker who can't say no when people ask for help I got talked into helping out with all kinds of projects and eventually joining the BOD.  And guess what kind of tractor we have at the club?

My dad still thinks it's funny.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Productive day in the costume department. Have every piece for the vest cut, interfacing is being cut out and made ready for fusing, should have it all ready well before Saturday.

Yup. We all have hobbies. Mine are just weird, and I'm cool with that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Dealing with people dying (including family members) has gotten a lot easier since my dad died.  Not sure if that's a good thing or not.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, don't feel so bad now since I'm not the only one laughing
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you didn't.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're happy, I'm happy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Make sure someone lets me know, if I'm still around I will be there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess it's all part of getting older.

I used to go to weddings all the time, now I guess I should go buy a nice black suit.

I quit doing funerals after my father's. I was only at that one for less than an hour.

I don't expect anyone to come to mine, either.

I've made it very clear to my wife that she is to dispose of my carcass as cheaply as possible and spend the money she saves on booze for my friends.

So if you guys are still around you're welcome to come drink at my estate's expense when I kick the bucket.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I need to get back to working on my chainmail hauberk.

I started on it 15 years ago and it's still only about 60% there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should take pics and work on it. Or set it somewhere where you will see it often. Seeing it unfinished will make you want to finish it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SCA?  I used to be into that many moons ago.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You should take pics and work on it. Or set it somewhere where you will see it often. Seeing it unfinished will make you want to finish it.
View Quote

If his experience of having a kid is anything like mine has been, there should be plenty of those sitting around.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a great story.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Relatively. The construction part can be stressful, but the same goes for any building project, especially the design phase.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm grilling, drinking, and snapchatting bitches.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#19]
yay?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

No, you didn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, you didn't.
So, my 11 year old daughter is a huge Doctor Who freak.  She's a complete nerd, but also very cute so she'll make some nerdy guy very happy some day.  

About a month ago we went to Kansas City for the weekend.  It was my wife's birthday and she wanted to go to a spa resort and do all kinds of girly stuff.  Fine with me, the resort had a kickass bar with a bartender who knew how to make the best damn drinks I've ever had, so I got fitshaced while the girls did the spa thing.  

The next day we were driving by the KC convention center and noticed a bunch of people dressed in costumes walking up to it.  I thought "hmm, must be some kind of scifi convention".  Then we saw the signs for ComiCon.  I thought it would be kinda fun to take my daughter, but then we saw that Karen Gillan (Amy from Doctor Who) was going to be signing autographs.  I knew I would never hear the end of it if I didn't take her.  

I had never been to anything like it before.  The closest I've seen was the Great American Beer Festival in Denver, but instead of booths giving out free beer and hot chicks wearing beer wench outfits it was people selling steampunk costumes and hot cosplay girls.    The whole experience was rather strange to me but my daughter had the time of her life.  I somehow got talked into buying her a $50 pair of Tardis slipper boots.  On top of what I paid for admission, and the cost of getting an autograph from Karen Gillan.  

FWIW, Karen Gillan is just as ridiculously hot in person as she is on TV.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
Like a bawss.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have kabobs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Spartacus
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Netflix suggestions?

Spartacus

Valley Uprising
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm eating leftovers from last night.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have kabobs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have kabobs.

I have ribs and snapchat
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to go to weddings all the time, now I guess I should go buy a nice black suit.

I quit doing funerals after my father's. I was only at that one for less than an hour.

I hope you're the only one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

C'monover. I've got beer and shit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like beer.  Not a big fan of shit.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Just finished dinner.
2 pizza rolls and a Baby Ruth.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So, my 11 year old daughter is a huge Doctor Who freak.  She's a complete nerd, but also very cute so she'll make some nerdy guy very happy some day.    

About a month ago we went to Kansas City for the weekend.  It was my wife's birthday and she wanted to go to a spa resort and do all kinds of girly stuff.  Fine with me, the resort had a kickass bar with a bartender who knew how to make the best damn drinks I've ever had, so I got fitshaced while the girls did the spa thing.  

The next day we were driving by the KC convention center and noticed a bunch of people dressed in costumes walking up to it.  I thought "hmm, must be some kind of scifi convention".  Then we saw the signs for ComiCon.  I thought it would be kinda fun to take my daughter, but then we saw that Karen Gillan (Amy from Doctor Who) was going to be signing autographs.  I knew I would never hear the end of it if I didn't take her.  

I had never been to anything like it before.  The closest I've seen was the Great American Beer Festival in Denver, but instead of booths giving out free beer and hot chicks wearing beer wench outfits it was people selling steampunk costumes and hot cosplay girls.    The whole experience was rather strange to me but my daughter had the time of her life.  I somehow got talked into buying her a $50 pair of Tardis slipper boots.  On top of what I paid for admission, and the cost of getting an autograph from Karen Gillan.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, you didn't.

Awesome!

And yes, Wizard World (owners of ComicCon) charges crazy for their tickets. I like hitting the smaller, local cons mostly.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

same
grilled sausage.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just finished dinner.
View Quote

mud bugs yet?
Ill hopefully be there sometime this week.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Another bad memory from my dad's 656.  It had a front end loader mounted on it, but the hydraulic hoses were old as shit.  One day I was hauling ass (relatively speaking) in 5th gear (the POS only had 5 to choose from) down a dirt road when BAMM!!! the loader bucket slammed to the ground, bringing me to an abrupt halt.  Which is what tends to happen when the hose for the main cylinders springs a massive leak.  I'm pretty sure I would have left a stain on the seat, except all the vinyl had been worn away years ago and we used an old feed sack to cover the bare foam.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd drink a beer in your honor.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

mud bugs yet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just finished dinner.

mud bugs yet?

I haven't had any yet this season, but I could sure use some.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Another bad memory from my dad's 656.  It had a front end loader mounted on it, but the hydraulic hoses were old as shit.  One day I was hauling ass (relatively speaking) in 5th gear (the POS only had 5 to choose from) down a dirt road when BAMM!!! the loader bucket slammed to the ground, bringing me to an abrupt halt.  Which is what tends to happen when the hose for the main cylinders springs a massive leak.  I'm pretty sure I would have left a stain on the seat, except all the vinyl had been worn away years ago and we used an old feed sack to cover the bare foam.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Ginger beer?
Did you try that Redbird?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just finished dinner.

mud bugs yet?

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Just finished dinner.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Free furniture is the best furniture.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only worse thing is when you get sprayed with hot hydraulic oil
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good plan
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know those feels.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#45]
135 this week?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#46]
My Grandpa also had an old John Deere Model B that he bought used.  That was a cool old tractor.  You had to release the compression and then grab the flywheel with both hands and give it a spin to start the thing.  That old 2 cylinder gas motor shook like a motherfucker.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I got that too.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My Grandpa also had an old John Deere Model B that he bought used.  That was a cool old tractor.  You had to release the compression and then grab the flywheel with both hands and give it a spin to start the thing.  That old 2 cylinder gas motor shook like a motherfucker.
View Quote

Hell yeah, I love the old two cylinders!

We have an unstlyed A and a 520.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I love old tractors.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I love old tractors.

http://youtu.be/frnqyhMQHeY

View Quote

The compression on our A is so bad you have to pull start it
Page / 129
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top