Page / 3
Posted: 4/18/2015 9:49:41 PM EDT
Sub 300 dollars
I was thinking this may be the way to go amazon

Is an offset or  box type better?

Looking for suggestions
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I was told you can do a decent job with a Weber Kettle, but I haven't tried it yet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]
UDS, son. Some of my best bbq has come off of one. Cheap to make, easy to use, make kickass bbq.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sub 300 dollars

Looking for suggestions
View Quote

That is a good one from what i hear, however I absolutely loving my Ugly Drum Smoker made with a Big Poppa Smoker kit. It is rock solid and holds *250 10+ hours without touching it.

Beware of an offset under 1200, they just dont hold temp, are fuel hogs, and require constant tending.

Seriously though, look into a UDS if you are some what DIY.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#4]
beat by 14 seconds
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a great smoker. I have one. Also, I bought a BBQ Guru and amounted it. Look it up. It saves you tons of time from being tied down and makes it easy to produce a quality product.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you want to smoke meats or cook them.

There is a huge difference.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Smoke.... I think

I think I am going to have too look into this some more.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's a great smoker. I have one. Also, I bought a BBQ Guru and amounted it. Look it up. It saves you tons of time from being tied down and makes it easy to produce a quality product.
View Quote

Second the Guru... Set and forget with 100% confidence.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#9]
We have a CharGriller Duo model, gas grill on one side and smoker on the other. With a few mods it has done really well.
My only complaint- it is single wall/uninsulated. If it gets windy or say an afternoon thunderstorm comes through it can make it a bit tough to keep it at 225.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Smoke.... I think

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smoke.... I think

Where you at in FL?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Where you at in FL?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smoke.... I think

Where you at in FL?

Miami, Kendall area
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#13]
You can get these at Lowes, Kroger, a few other places.  I bought one and then sold it to buy a Vision ceramic.....I think the Akorn Kamado was a lot better.  It is actually more efficient and used less lump.......and was much easier to heat up and cool down.  All for $199.

http://reviewtodo.com/char-griller-kamado-kooker-akorn-grillsmoker-review-part-1/
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was told you can do a decent job with a Weber Kettle, but I haven't tried it yet.
View Quote

Its hard to maintain a low temp if you don't use a baffle. The coals tend to go out due to a lack of air. You want to pile like 30-40 unlit birquets and place 12 lit ones on the pile. That way you don't have to much fire going all at once. I got this thing for mine called a Smokeinator. Its just a stainless baffle, thermometer, water pan. It keeps the heat concentrated on the side an allows you to maintain 210-220 deg f for 6 hrs on 48 unlit birquetts.

If your wanting a dedicated smoker for doing large cuts of meat like whole turkeys then I would probably look at that weber smoker. You will have to baby sit it less than using the smokenator on a weber kettle. I have to fill that water pan about every 1 to 1.5hrs but it does produce a real wet smoke. Water drips out of the bottom of the kettle.

Here is what it looks like. I

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You will not find a decent smoker for under $300.
View Quote

You can build a UDS for considerably under $300.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Its hard to maintain a low temp if you don't use a baffle. The coals tend to go out due to a lack of air. You want to pile like 30-40 unlit birquets and place 12 lit ones on the pile. That way you don't have to much fire going all at once. I got this thing for mine called a Smokeinator. Its just a stainless baffle, thermometer, water pan. It keeps the heat concentrated on the side an allows you to maintain 210-220 deg f for 6 hrs on 48 unlit birquetts.

Here is what it looks like.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/jbooker82/Misc%20Pics/IMG_8508_zps25dcb125.jpg
If your wanting a dedicated smoker for doing large cuts of meat like whole turkeys then I would probably look at that weber smoker. You will have to baby sit it less than using the smokenator on a weber kettle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/jbooker82/Misc%20Pics/IMG_8508_zps25dcb125.jpg
If your wanting a dedicated smoker for doing large cuts of meat like whole turkeys then I would probably look at that weber smoker. You will have to baby sit it less than using the smokenator on a weber kettle.
Cool, thanks for the info.  A buddy of mine uses his Weber and I'm going to have to ask him if he has one of these.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cool, thanks for the info.  A buddy of mine uses his Weber and I'm going to have to ask him if he has one of these.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he doesn't it helps out a lot with temp stabilization. Here is where I got mine.
http://www.smokenator.com/
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If he doesn't it helps out a lot with temp stabilization. Here is where I got mine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks again.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Miami, Kendall area
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smoke.... I think

Where you at in FL?

Miami, Kendall area

A bit far, im on fort lauderdale, was gonna say come check out the UDS.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We have a CharGriller Duo model, gas grill on one side and smoker on the other. With a few mods it has done really well.
My only complaint- it is single wall/uninsulated. If it gets windy or say an afternoon thunderstorm comes through it can make it a bit tough to keep it at 225.
View Quote

This. I'll never own another un-insulated smoker.

I've had two that weren't insulated and they're worthless in the winter.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sub 300 dollars

Looking for suggestions
View Quote

You are done looking.

Get the WSM.   Wish I had got mine sooner than I did.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
UDS, son. Some of my best bbq has come off of one. Cheap to make, easy to use, make kickass bbq.
View Quote

Yup. Mine will run 26 hours, on a full basket of charcoal, before falling below 200 degrees.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Check out this:     http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/index.html
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#25]
DO NOT do a cheap offset smoker!!!

Yeah, they look cool but they perform terribly - they cannot hold temperature worth a damn!!

The least expensive way to smoke is with a 18.5" Weber charcoal grill with the Smokenator insert.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You will not find a decent smoker for under $300. Look at a Weber Smokey Mountain, the 18.5" model. It is excellent.

Everything else will be being nothing but failure and tears.

[ETA] I saw that that is what you linked to. Order it and you'll be happy. Then go to virtualweberbullet.com
View Quote

Bullshit, sir.

Wife picked this up as a surprise for me @ $199 HomeDepot:

I washed it with Dawn liquid to strip it of manf. funk then seasoned it as some Smoker Sites say to...

Then I done did this:

There's a ton of youtube vids that show how to mod your POS offset smoker to kick-ass for just a few dollars.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If your wanting a dedicated smoker for doing large cuts of meat like whole turkeys then I would probably look at that weber smoker. You will have to baby sit it less than using the smokenator on a weber kettle. I have to fill that water pan about every 1 to 1.5hrs but it does produce a real wet smoke. Water drips out of the bottom of the kettle.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/jbooker82/Misc%20Pics/IMG_8511_zpsab2f27d1.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/jbooker82/Misc%20Pics/IMG_8511_zpsab2f27d1.jpg

Try the snake technique. Using the snake in my kettle I've done 12 hrs at 225 without reloading charcoal or adjusting the vents.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You will not find a decent smoker for under $300. Look at a Weber Smokey Mountain, the 18.5" model. It is excellent.

Everything else will be being nothing but failure and tears.
[ETA] I saw that that is what you linked to. Order it and you'll be happy. Then go to virtualweberbullet.com

View Quote
I'll second what Mr. Z says, especially when coupled with a Pitmaster IQ.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sub 300 dollars

Looking for suggestions
View Quote

Depends on how many people you are cooking for.

A couple, get a kettle.

A few, get a WSM.

A group, build a UDS.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 webers, a green egg, huge pellet grill,  hasty bake, and cabinet smoker and I prefer the weber wsm to all of them.  Also 225 isnt always thr best temp to smoke at. Just go with the  flow
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I know what her shirt says but I'm betting you could get her pretty cheap.

Oops wrong type of smoker, my bad.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I've got the bigger brother to the 18" WSM.

It's well worth the money.

Hmm, Kroger has pork shoulder on sale...

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Get back to me when you try something other than pork butt, which even my retarded younger brother (if I had one) could cook.

View Quote

I've done done:

Chicken
Beef Short Ribs
Pork Spare and Baby Backs
Pastrami {using Murphy&David's Corned Beef}
Turkey
yada yada

Just never have done a brisket... yet, sir.

BTW, she likes to hold at 215-220 {on the two Tel-Tru probes at each end} with Royal Oak.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#35]
http://m.samsclub.com/ip/pellet-grill-smoker-use-bbq-wood-pellets/prod16660322

Sam's has this pellet grill/smoker on for $399.  I know nothing about it and I know it is a little over your budget.  The thing is though is pellet smokers are just so damn easy to use and consistent that you will use it all the time for all sorts of things.

I love my Rec Tec so much that I order half a ton of pellets at a time.  I use it several times every week.  I had an Oklahoma Joe's heavy cast iron offset smoker, both the standard and larger WSM with iq controller, and a propane smoker.  I used my Rec Tec more in one summer than I used all of those smokers combined over the years.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's pretty amazing. I have rarely heard of anyone doing well with a cheap offset smoker. Good on ya.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get back to me when you try something other than pork butt, which even my retarded younger brother (if I had one) could cook.

I've done done:

Chicken
Beef Short Ribs
Pork Spare and Baby Backs
Pastrami {using Murphy&David's Corned Beef}
Turkey
yada yada

Just never have done a brisket... yet, sir.

BTW, she likes to hold at 215-220 {on the two Tel-Tru probes at each end} with Royal Oak.

That's pretty amazing. I have rarely heard of anyone doing well with a cheap offset smoker. Good on ya.

I hang out at http://www.smoking-meat.com and http://amazingribs.com/index.html

BUTT!!!  I looked up every da-da-damn youtube video that was worth a smoked turd to make my wife's gift to me work
like the fancy/accepted gear.

It turned out not to be hard at all with everyone explaining their failures and corrections before I attempted a thing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#38]
50% better than get both:
smoke hollow

propane, charcoal, offset smoker combo

I just bought one, though without the side burner.

So, I read up on smoking meat on the intertubes. One site said "Use a lot of wood". Now I know that doesn't mean 3 lbs of wood, it means 2 or 3 chunks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm half tempted to build my own.
Anybody have decent plans available?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:50:23 PM EDT
[#40]
weber kettle grill and a pitmasterIQ.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:50:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1000

I have this for my kettle.  If you want to smoke without a dedicated smoker, you cannot beat this.  Cheap, too.

http://www.amazon.com/SMOKENATOR-1000-Kettle-Barbecue-Converter/dp/B000HI3I68/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1429415427&sr=1-1&keywords=smokenator
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:56:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Whole lot of people in this post are cooking meat and thinking that they are smoking it.  Great food, but cooked, not smoked.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:01:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:06:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:07:15 AM EDT
[#46]
WSM or UDS

Check out the BBQ Brethern.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Whole lot of people in this post are cooking meat and thinking that they are smoking it.  Great food, but cooked, not smoked.
View Quote

Low indirect heat with lots of wood smoke is not smoking?

Let me guess the food snobbery. .  It's not smoking unless you are using nothing but wood ie no charcoal??
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#50]

for a sub $300 smoker this is by far the way to go.  I can hold 225 low and slow for 18 hours on a single load of fuel with no problem.  and I can open it up and come to 650° + for searing steaks.  make's a mighty fine pizza oven as well.  the only thing I would get over this is a higher quality Kamado of some sort, but the better you get, the more money you spend.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top