Stayed up late for one
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, on a black and white TV too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In front of the only TV in the house, an old B&W model.  Same one we watched Nixon resign on.  Still have the original Nat Geo from later that year.
ETA:  Pic.  Looks bad, but the mag is pristine.  The scratches and wrinkles are on the plastic cover my dad put on it at the time...about 46 years ago.  RIP dad.  Still think of you most every day.

http://i.imgur.com/9N3e7ph.jpg
View Quote
Go ahead, take it out and smell your dads love

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Radio Shack, hardware stores, drug stores, smoke shops... there were tube testers all over the place in the 60s

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I'm really old, i remember all the Gemini missions that came before... on an old B&W Hoffman tube TV.

Remember the tube testing machine at Radio Shack?

Radio Shack, hardware stores, drug stores, smoke shops... there were tube testers all over the place in the 60s

Smoke shops were more the 70s and beyond

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Before the first moon landing, I was totally fascinated with the whole thing. I was a young kid but I read everything I could find about it. It was by far the thing I was most excited about in life for the couple months leading up to the moon landing. Back then we had full service gas stations and a lot of them had promotional stuff to give away having to do with the moon landing and I begged my mother to get gas at places that had stuff like a paper model of the LEM, or books, or whatever. It was all I talked about.

On the night of the moon landing, I could barely contain myself. I was planted in front of the TV. The landing took place pretty late at night EST and I fell asleep in the chair. I woke up and it was all over. I couldn't believe it. I asked my parent's why they didn't wake me up ? It was then that I realized that they didn't take anything I did or said seriously. I can't describe the feeling I had at that moment other than to say that I am pissed off about it to this day over 40 years later. Not that I missed the moon landing, but that my parents didn't give a shit.

I am actually embarrassed to a degree to post this, but........it's true.
View Quote

Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Don`t let that hold you back from who and what you can become.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Was at EM "A" school at Great Lakes when Apollo 11 touched down on the moon.
View Quote

I was 9 1/2 and glued to the color TV.

In fact the neighbors were over to watch it too. Despite Gene being a TV repairman with the ultimate set of tools they still had a black and white TV.

I even watched several Gemini launches. They were beautiful in their own right. Mom even let me stay he from school the day Gemini 6 launched. The only time she ever let me do something like that. But I guess a first grader isn't really going to miss out on all that much.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I went to the same high school as Frank Borman of Gemini 7 and Apollo 8, he was there about 35 years before me. And an elementary school at Davis-Monthan Air base is named after him.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep!

Mom worked the Gemini and early Apollo program at the Cape, and had a real attachment to the guys, through contact for several years.
I was the reason she left the project...My sense of timing has always sucked.

One of my earliest memories, was being glued to the old Black and white Motorola in the basement, when the Apollo 11 lander approached the Moon.
My Mom was literally sobbing and losing her shit the whole time.

Watched 15 from the beach just north of Patrick, and watched 17 go up  from across the river in Cocoa Beach.
Contrary to common belief, Those missiles didn't take off and fly. The Saturn V's simply shoved the earth and space the fuck outta the way.
The whole damn Bananna River bed, moved like a 4.0 quake on Pendleton, and the vibration made ripples in the water from the dock pilings, 6 Miles away.

It was a huge deal. It still is.
We havn't done shit that compares in any way, since then.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep. I was 8 when Apollo 11 landed on the moon.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Before the first moon landing, I was totally fascinated with the whole thing. I was a young kid but I read everything I could find about it. It was by far the thing I was most excited about in life for the couple months leading up to the moon landing. Back then we had full service gas stations and a lot of them had promotional stuff to give away having to do with the moon landing and I begged my mother to get gas at places that had stuff like a paper model of the LEM, or books, or whatever. It was all I talked about.

On the night of the moon landing, I could barely contain myself. I was planted in front of the TV. The landing took place pretty late at night EST and I fell asleep in the chair. I woke up and it was all over. I couldn't believe it. I asked my parent's why they didn't wake me up ? It was then that I realized that they didn't take anything I did or said seriously. I can't describe the feeling I had at that moment other than to say that I am pissed off about it to this day over 40 years later. Not that I missed the moon landing, but that my parents didn't give a shit.

View Quote

Are you talking about the first one, Apollo 11?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I went to the Cape to watch the Apollo 11 launch. It was my 10th birthday.  It was a truly awesome sight and sound. Then on the 20th, I took pics of the TV with my polaroid. I still have the pics.

Since then, I've seen many launches and, in fact, I lived in Cocoa Beach for a while when I was 18. Fun times.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Also watched the Gemini missions.
Heck, we would watch the world series in class.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Sure did
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I watched the whole thing. I even recorded the audio on reel to reel tape.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Absolutely!

You didn't grow up during that time and not watch the Apollo missions.
View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I remember staying up late with my parents waiting on that "candle to get lit", and then drifting off to sleep. Mission control, for some odd reason, would get right down to the last couple of minutes and hold the launch. Dad would wake me up about 30 seconds right before the launch. That rocket lifting off, was AWESOME!

B&W TV. I will never forget those days. Inspired me to become who I am today.

Thank you M&D. Thank you NASA, also.
View Quote

Yep, every one of them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#18]
My parents didn't own a TV back then, so we rented a little B&W TV and stand from the 7-11 to watch the launch and the footage from the moon.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep. I did that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Apollo and the Vietnam War were the only interesting things going on.

I was born  in '63.

View Quote

Sounds like we both have something in common.

You and I are close in age.

Very close.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was able to watch the preparations and lift-off on TV and then step outside and watch the real thing as it climbed and eventually disappeared out of sight.
The sound, even from 15 miles away was incredible.  I worked on the Cape at the time but had nothing to do with any interesting programs.  Just to be there was a privilege.
View Quote

I can only imagine what the thunderous sound made by those engines, was really like.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Watched them in school . They wheeled in a black and white TV .
View Quote

They did the same thing for the Shuttle missions at some point.

Color TVs` though.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The days of Space Food Sticks and Tang
View Quote

Tang.

Forgot about that drink.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess I'm really old, i remember all the Gemini missions that came before... on an old B&W Hoffman tube TV.

LOL!

I do. Used it a time or two!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Every one.

Vivid memories of "one small step for man."  Kept going outside to look at the moon.  Then inside to look at the TV.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and then on to STS.
I lived and breathed all of it since I was old enough to understand that men were actually getting launched in to space.

The United States space program changed the entire planet and it is amazing to sit back and reflect on how it did so.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#28]
LIVE FROM THE MOON!

Neil Armstong,   One small step.

Remember him and Walter Cronkite
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:45:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I have watched every launch that I could from Mercury to the present. I was very pissed off the later Apollo missions did not get the attention they should have.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I was 13 on that evening when he stepped on the moon for the first time. Walter Cronkite announced it and they showed Neil stepping out and uttering those famous words!

Watched every one they televised after that!

I wonder now if we could ever do it again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:49:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe They fell asleep, or maybe they were having some special alone time.  

Did you ever have any kids of your own?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yep!

Mom worked the Gemini and early Apollo program at the Cape, and had a real attachment to the guys, through contact for several years.

One of my earliest memories, was being glued to the old Black and white Motorola in the basement, when the Apollo 11 lander approached the Moon.

Watched 15 from the beach just north of Patrick, and watched 17 go up  from across the river in Cocoa Beach.
Contrary to common belief, Those missiles didn't take off and fly. The Saturn V's simply shoved the earth and space the fuck outta the way.
The whole damn Bananna River bed, moved like a 4.0 quake on Pendleton, and the vibration made ripples in the water from the dock pilings, 6 Miles away.

I wish that I could have experienced that sound.

You are one fortunate individual.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I watched them all on TV... except for the one I watched from the grass in front of the VAB.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have watched every launch that I could from Mercury to the present. I was very pissed off the later Apollo missions did not get the attention they should have.
View Quote

I believe one called Apollo 13 got a little extra attention.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:51:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Skill level 5 was hardest to construct and the easiest to crash.  Ask me how I know....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glued to the TV.I had so many Revell Saturn V rocket models in my bedroom it was hard to walk around....

I think Estes made a Saturn 5 model rocket years ago.

Believe it might have been a skill level 5. 5 was the hardest of all of them to construct.

Then again, you probably already know this.

Skill level 5 was hardest to construct and the easiest to crash.  Ask me how I know....

So much time and effort put into them but one cries when they break.

Don`t ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Lived watching the Apollo Program at home and school.

My wife bought me this for my birthday a couple of years ago.

One of my most prized possessions.

Mercury Familiarization Manual signed by Gordon Cooper, Wally Schirrah, Scott Carpenter and Alan Shephard.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/Tontofontenot/media/872624C4-F63D-4B06-A277-BABEEFCFE58D-11746-0000133519A17D29_zps054f3670.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/Tontofontenot/872624C4-F63D-4B06-A277-BABEEFCFE58D-11746-0000133519A17D29_zps054f3670.jpg</a>

Mercury Familiarization Manual signed by Gordon Cooper, Wally Schirrah, Scott Carpenter and Alan Shephard.

View Quote

Holy freakin' WOW.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:54:42 PM EDT
[#38]
For those who have not seen it, take a 12 minute time out and put your headphones on and turn up the volume.
Real time audio and comms from ground and Eagle and Columbia.
Amazing stuff.

http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Yep. "Glued" to the T.V. at that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I never realized just how huge the Saturn V was until I went to the cape and saw it in person. It is just frickin' amazing that that thing could be hurled into space. I could stand up in just one of the nozzles on that thing!

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Every one.

Vivid memories of "one small step for man."  Kept going outside to look at the moon.  Then inside to look at the TV.
View Quote

For some strange reason, I think I would have done the same thing.

I would have looked up at that glowing object in the sky that I looked on every night for years and wondered how far away it was.

I would have then thought, we finally got there.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and then on to STS.
I lived and breathed all of it since I was old enough to understand that men were actually getting launched in to space.

The United States space program changed the entire planet and it is amazing to sit back and reflect on how it did so.

View Quote

Dag,

Great post!

:)

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:04:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
LIVE FROM THE MOON!

Neil Armstong,   One small step.

Remember him and Walter Cronkite
View Quote

Will never forget either one.

Good folks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I watched them all on TV... except for the one I watched from the grass in front of the VAB.
View Quote

Shuttle launch maybe?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep!

I wish that I could have experienced that sound.

You are one fortunate individual.

Lucky..yep.
Disappointed as hell that we haven't topped it since.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:18:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/Tontofontenot/media/872624C4-F63D-4B06-A277-BABEEFCFE58D-11746-0000133519A17D29_zps054f3670.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/Tontofontenot/872624C4-F63D-4B06-A277-BABEEFCFE58D-11746-0000133519A17D29_zps054f3670.jpg</a>

View Quote

I don`t have a case of M855 to trade but I will find one if need be, to trade for that manuscript!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:24:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
For those who have not seen it, take a 12 minute time out and put your headphones on and turn up the volume.
Amazing stuff.

View Quote

Dag, Thanks for putting that up!

Listening to it now!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:26:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I don`t have a case of M855 to trade but I will find one if need be, to trade for that manuscript!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No thanks brother. Following the rules. My most prized possession. She's a keeper!

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I never realized just how huge the Saturn V was until I went to the cape and saw it in person. It is just frickin' amazing that that thing could be hurled into space. I could stand up in just one of the nozzles on that thing!

http://astrobob.areavoices.com/files/2013/08/Saturn-V-wiki.jpg
View Quote

Never knew it until years later about the engine design.

Notice the piping around the engine nozzles?

Know what that was for?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Amazing stuff.

View Quote

Thanks
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top