Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2015 9:25:28 PM EDT
I find that my smartphone has altered the way my mind works. I have shorter attention span and constantly take it out. I think I am addicted. If I could I would go back to a world without one. My smartphone is to me what the One Ring was to Gollum. I love it and hate it at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a happy curse
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
There are times I love my phone and times I want to take it out back and unload my shotgun into it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope just Facebook, twitter, MySpace, snap chat, and the rest of those stupid things.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I love it for the ability to text and to surf the web... i hate the fact it turns most of the population into complete idiots...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Zombie Transition Device
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Heck no.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]
How about inventing some self control instead?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#8]
No. I don't get the hand wringing over phones. I like being able to look up info I need at a moments notice.  And being able to keep in touch with loved ones.

It's not a phone its a computer.  I've learned so much with them. How to play the guitar,  how to work on the motorcycle,  how to fix shit, how to can, how to garden. I have books on most of that stuff too but there is unlimited info on the web.

It's actually pretty easy to filter out the stupid stuff.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Shit no, this thing is great.  I don't have it out all day though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm 44........I dunno, man, I kinda effing like this thing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heck no.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Heck no.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Smart phones? No!

iPhone users? In a heartbeat!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#14]
No. It was inevitable.

I find smartphones the same way you do, OP, but it's on me to put it or the tablet away when I feel too tied up by the tech.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Good grief, no. But then again, I actually have self-control and don't constantly check it, no Facebook account, etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes.  I often think about throwing mine in the river.  But then i wouldnt be able to post on arf.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#17]
How did people waste time at the office before cell phones and internet?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I find that my smartphone has altered the way my mind works. I have shorter attention span and constantly take it out. I think I am addicted. If I could I would go back to a world without one. My smartphone is to me what the One Ring was to Gollum. I love it and hate it at the same time.
View Quote

sums it up for me...

i used to be a voracious reader also...i haven't touched a book in years, and that seems to coincide with the information/technology overload that came with the smartphone
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Smartphones are awesome.  Texting is for 'tards.  I'd "uninvent" that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm hoping for an EMP pulse to wipe out all advanced technology and we go back to bunny ears TV, carbureted cars, and snail mail.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Smartphones are awesome.  Texting is for 'tards.  I'd "uninvent" that.
View Quote

What are your thoughts about these new confounded "red dot" sighting systems, gramps?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a flip phone for rare use. It is off 99% of the time. Drives me nuts to deal with someone who's mind leaves when their pocket goes, "Ding."  
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't own a smartphone. I have a $10 pre-paid/burner phone. However, I would never want to "uninvent" technology merely because some people are too stupid to control themselves. Smartphones represent an advancement of our communication and technological capabilities...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#25]
How would I surf GD for 8 hours every day at work without a smartphone?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Shit, I'm patiently waiting for new technology.

Take your current cell phones, and imagine adding 10 more years technological advances.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#27]
No, infact I can't wait until we can network our minds through technology.  Imagine being able to send someone an entire complex thought without having to spend inordinate amounts of time trying to explain your position.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, but if I never heard the words "hash tag" agian I would be very happy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#29]
The "pocket computer" has been foretold in scifi for decades.

Most had less processing power than current phones (current phones are better than high end desktops a decade ago), but were more comm terminals with connection to the local super computer.

The problem is not the smartphone, it's the dumbass holding it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#30]
It's good in moderation...moderation being only my wife has one. I have an old flip phone. We have it if we need to find something or check something, but I'd always be on it if I had one,
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
sums it up for me...

i used to be a voracious reader also...i haven't touched a book in years, and that seems to coincide with the information/technology overload that came with the smartphone
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

sums it up for me...

My wife is reading a book on her smart phone right now.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Not a chance.

Do you know how much easier it makes running a business when literally everything is available in your pocket?

My phone has all my contacts, my schedule, estimates, tons of stuff that I used to not think I needed or wanted. No way in hell I would go trying to do estimates with just a map now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#33]
No, but I'd uninvent instagram
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#34]

I like my smartphone, don't know why I put off getting one for so long.

Grocery list, shopping list, things to do list, flashlight, camera when I'm taking something apart, level, library, music at the gym, gps, cheapest gas close to me, conversion tables, calculator, calendar, calorie tracker, ballistic computer, vehicle code reader, email, internet, etc.

It probably gets used less for texting or as a phone than anything else.

I hate texting, somebody sends me a couple texts about something & I usually end up just calling them.

Me and facebook had a pretty short relationship, the people who are doing interesting stuff are too busy to be putting up status updates, and everyone else seems to live to create drama that means nothing.

I have noticed I have a shorter attention span than I used to, however I noticed that way back after I first got a computer and started using the internet, long before I got a smartphone.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/user/bailey123_album/media/solitaire_zpspc4s78p3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q176/bailey123_album/solitaire_zpspc4s78p3.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/user/bailey123_album/media/solitaire_zpspc4s78p3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q176/bailey123_album/solitaire_zpspc4s78p3.jpg</a>

Primitive savages.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Nope. It allows me to avoid having to talk to people, which has made my life a lot better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#37]

I used to read a lot of books also.

I've got 5 big barrister bookcases jammed full, plus a few other bookshelves.

I threw out a van-load of magazines last year.

I used to order from Amazon about once a month, and it was rare that it was anything other than books.

I noticed that changed after I got hi-speed internet, I still read quite a bit, but it is either online stuff or Kindle.

Can't remember the last time I went to the library, used to be a regular at various ones.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

How about inventing some self control instead?
View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I still use a flip phone you don't have to use the newest thing out there
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#40]
There is one reason I would not uninvent the smart phone.

Idiot callers are but 2 clicks away from the reject caller list.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I still keep it unattended (or just turned off), most of the time. I do love it for maps and looking up info on somewhere I'm driving to. I certainly wouldn't wish it didn't exist.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.  Trashy Tracfone and about $150 a year in activation cards.

I realize how much more Iphones can do, but see everyone so sucked into them everywhere- at restaurants with family, in cars,  in classroom settings, at work, that I refuse to get one.  I can wait until I'm home to get on the internet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#43]
How much is a small, portable GPS device worth to you? Because to me, it's a huge boon.

Now factor in everything else a smart phone can do.  Only a luddite would want to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I realize how much more Iphones can do, but see everyone so sucked into them everywhere- at restaurants with family, in cars,  in classroom settings, at work, that I refuse to get one.  I can wait until I'm home to get on the internet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is annoying and it shows lack of self control, or some sort of addiction. I use mine to kill boredom pretty often but if I am in a social setting I only pull it out of my pocket if I get a call or text, and if it work related it usually goes right back in.

My generation is bad enough, we all grew up without them and didn't get them until after college, but rode the first wave of them. The generation behind me is pretty much addicted, and I am seeing a lot more of the 40+ crowd unable to put them down too.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes, I would do away with them. And most of the technology that keeps people constantly logged in to their online life.

Facebook, Twitter, Arfcom, etc.

None of that shit is so crucially important that you need to check it all day at work.

There is literally no need for a smartphone, they just makes society less connected, and more socially awkward because they exist.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I would uninvent  it only if I could then reinvent it, patent it, and make millions of dollars.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Fuck no.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Greatest invention ever.

I love my smartphone. It's a tool and I use it as such.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#49]
No. I like mine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote

We had email in the company computers.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top