Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/18/2015 7:56:34 PM EDT
I stare at a computer for five days a week and only do about five hours of actual work in a pay period. My work just drains my soul I really really can't stand it. How do you cope with such a life?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Hookers and blow

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Hobbies, social life, perspective.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, when I had a job like that - I simply quit and found one that I liked (in fact I liked it so well I stay with it for 34 years then retired).
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Life is too short.  Find a job you enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you do, and is the money worth it? Lots of people put up with a lot of shit for the dollars.

I like my job so I don't really know. If it were me, drink, get massages and bjs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Find a new job
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I drink.  Heavily.
View Quote

This too
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Find a new job,even if you have to take a pay cut. I left a shitty ass job after wasting 6 and a half years of my life there. I took a little bit of a paycut but my outlook on life has improved so much since starting my new job.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#10]
One shitty ass shift at a time......
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I chose to avoid such things by making good choices earlier in life. YMMV.

So you're getting paid for doing nothing for three hours a day? Doesn't that seem like an ethical issue to you?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Picture of the wife and kids helps. THEY'RE your focus.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What do you do, and is the money worth it? Lots of people put up with a lot of shit for the dollars.

I like my job so I don't really know. If it were me, drink, get massages and bjs.
View Quote

Money is not that great ($40K a year), but it took my a long time to find a job and job hunting sucks. I took this job and I work in a small (10k people) town in Wisconsin away from all my family and friends. I think if I really enjoyed my job it would be worth it or if I was close to my support network I could handle the dull drudgery. It just sucks that I have neither of those things.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So you're getting paid for doing nothing for three hours a day? Doesn't that seem like an ethical issue to you?
View Quote

I get my work done and I do a good job with what they ask me to do.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

No wife, no kids.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I stare at a computer for five days a week and only do about five hours of actual work in a pay period. My work just drains my soul I really really can't stand it. How do you cope with such a life?
View Quote

I was a Human Resources and Facilities Manager at a company of 100+ people for years. Hated the job with all of my soul and dreaded going to work each day. Sexual Harassment Investigations, Layoffs, Firing people then running into them at the supermarket, having to physically restrain an employee form attacking a female employee an worried about former employees suing the company for bullcrap reasons. People constantly telling me they were surprised I was in "HR" (6"5" 310 lbs) also got real old so I started to think about if the job was all worth it.

I just left it and went into a new line of work for a lot less money. I am happier now than I have ever been.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#17]
do you drink? Time to start.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Way back when I worked on a demolition crew, we would get show up pay to be available.  Sometimes, we couldn't work, but we wouldn't know that until we got to the site.

If the rate of "incoming" work is not in your control, then you're being paid to be available. IMO.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Peter, is that you?

Edit: beat by a few seconds...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quit, become self employed, do what you want.

Much of the bullshit people endure on a daily basis I never have to experience. Life is too short for bullshit and there's plenty of ways to make money.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Find another job and gtfo. Stop telling yourself you're stuck. Life is too short to be unhappy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I found a better job and after I interviewed I found out the company I wanted to leave was going to buy the company I was going to.  Some days you just can't win.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I usually quit jobs I hated.  My advice is just to make sure you lined up a job BEFORE you quit.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Do you get to fuck Jennifer Aniston? That would be a start.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No wife, no kids.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No wife, no kids.

THAT'S different! Get looking for another now while you DON'T have those responsibilities!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#27]
At least it will make your life feel longer

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Daydreams.  Truly evil daydreams.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#29]
they tell me that having interests other than your job helps... to be honest, i hate my job and always have...i stay because i am nearing retirement and i make too much money and need the insurance...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I write production line manuals that are regularly ignored by the production line people.

How do I cope?  Easy.  I'm done in 5 years and will retire...that's my mantra.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#31]
You push it way down and be happy that you have a job in a rotten economy until your job prospects improve and you can move on.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
THAT'S different! Get looking for another now while you DON'T have those responsibilities!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No wife, no kids.

Very much so, THIS. When you have more responsibilities hanging around your neck like an albatross, it's not as easy to "jump ship"... especially if you are the bread winner in the family. BTDT.

I recently quit a job that I no longer liked (various reasons, owner was a great dude, but made some poor decisions) after I had an opportunity literally pop up out of nowhere. It sucks to start over in a new place, but if you hate the work, and can find no reason to stay... move on.

I may not have moved on a year ago, when I was the only real income in the house, with mouths to feed and a mortgage to pay.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I really don't like my job, but I don't hate it either. It's just meh. Money is what makes me deal with it. I like money too much.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I walk outside when it's raining, into either the hot or the cold (depending on the season).  I go without food for a whole day and walk everywhere I need to go.  Then I realize why I do it !

Seriously, be careful what you wish for.   I used to be like you and now I have literally one week a year (at least during the Summer) that I can go on vacation with my kids and wife...because I am so busy.

Find your passion, go back to school at night, read books to help you improve yourself, etc.  Find what gives you happiness and chart a course for it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I like my job, hate my immediate supervisor and cuz of how our dept is, we get new managers every year, so when we do, they want to use our dept for their agenda, gets old.

Im going to fix that problem by saving like crazy and retire earlier than most. In the end ill get the last laugh, for now, I play their game. It wont be long now....................
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm with ya, op.
Drinking.
Drinking helps.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No wife, no kids.

This.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#39]
You sound like my parts department.  Greg, is that you?  
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

I sit in front of a computer all day but I love it because I don't have to deal with customers and can listen to talk radio and podcasts all day.

But also, I am slammed with work which I find challenging and enjoyable and makes time fly.  I come in on weekends sometimes because I want to get stuff done on complex projects that I usually can't because emails and phone calls distract me during regular working hours.  I worked 6 hours today, it was awesome!  Nobody bothered me!  I'm thinking about asking my boss if I can work 2 out of 5 days on the weekends just to boost my productivity.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hobbies. Live for the weekend.

Save money. its just a place you sepnd 40 hours a week to get cash.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I retired.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#43]
A job isn't about happiness.  It's about bringing in ducats.  Don't quit until you find another job.  We're in a bad economic state and it would not do well to walk from a paying job without prospects at another.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I drink and beat my family.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I dont have any family here, can I come over and beat yours? Ill bring the beer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Can you transfer to another department?

I am looking into that at my company because of a series of horrible engineering manaw decisions in my group.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quit. Life is too short.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I love my job, but its not for everyone. Being locked inside an acute adult psych ward in a psych hospital is a challenge. One of my co-workers really dreaded the place, but was good at his job and needed the work. He showed me his pocket notebook one day. All that was in it was a running tally of how much pay he had earned taking a shit, taking a leak, etc. He was averaging $400 a month in his "shit time". It made him feel better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was me when I worked at Boeing.  I quit and got a better job. I work harder and come home exhausted and I love it. Pay is similar minus all the OT at Boeing (OT as a result of sandbagging the normal work week. Not my doing, that's how that place runs).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top