Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2015 7:15:42 PM EDT
I don't know what you guys that swear by polarized lenses are thinking.  

I am working in the yard today, and grabbed the closest sunglasses in my shop.  Smith Optics, polarized brown lenses.  Fantastic clarity and definition.  I use them for the air boat, and snowblowing.  

Every thing was fine around the yard, until I needed to run for more gas.  

Polarized lenses SUCK ASS for everyday use.  Oily looking spots in every car window, can't see the radio, can't see the fuel pump readout, can't see your phone.

Like I said, they are the answer for on the water, or snow, but anywhere else, they are a liability.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Something about protecting your retinas from the sun.

But hell, what do I know
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I am working in the yard today, and grabbed the closest sunglasses in my shop.  Smith Optics, polarized brown lenses.  Fantastic clarity and definition.  I use them for the air boat, and snowblowing.  

Polarized lenses SUCK ASS for everyday use.  Oily looking spots in every car window, can't see the radio, can't see the fuel pump readout, can't see your phone.

Like I said, they are the answer for on the water, or snow, but anywhere else, they are a liability.
View Quote

I can see all those things just fine with my Oakleys. Maybe Smith fucked up the polarization angle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But hell, what do I know
View Quote

You know the truth...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Only trouble I had with my polarized sunglasses in the same color are one of my GPS displays gets wonky and one of my phones was a pain to use, but, my latest one is not like that. No idea what kind of magnet magic they used to fix that shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#5]
My cellphone screen looks fine, and only the windshields of very expensive cars (that I can't afford!) get that patchwork look. My sunglasses are Maui Jim's which have very high quality glass lenses.

If theres some thing I can't read because of the polarizatiom I just let my shades dangle on their croakies, read that thing, and then put them back on.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Turn your head to the side 90 degrees and you will be able to see the display just fine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But hell, what do I know
View Quote

True story.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You know the truth...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But hell, what do I know

You know the truth...

I don't think polarization has anything to do with protection
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But hell, what do I know

You know the truth...

My eye doc does not agree with you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#10]
They only allow you to see what's important.

Like titties on the beach.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Turn your head to the side 90 degrees and you will be able to see the display just fine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#12]
First world problems
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But hell, what do I know
View Quote

Study up.  

Polarization does nothing to reduce UV rays, just blocks ONE angle of reflection.  

That is why turning your head 90 degrees solves LCD issues.  

I don't like tilting my head that far.  

I use them for what they are meant for.  Reducing glare from horizontal reflections.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
First world problems
View Quote

Yes they are.  

I'm just funny about using the right tool for the job.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But hell, what do I know

You know the truth...

And you'd think wrong.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Study up.  

Polarization does nothing to reduce UV rays, just blocks ONE angle of reflection.  

I use them for what they are meant for.  Reducing glare from horizontal reflections.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But hell, what do I know

Study up.  

They dont block ONE angle of reflection.

They block ALL BUT ONE angle of reflection. That's how polarizing gates work. Yes, it does add protection, as most of the other light is blocked, therefore, you receive less.

If you were being bombarded with ionizing radiation, and someone put a lead sheet up that absorbed 99% of it, would you consider that protection?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tilt your head one way or the other.

J-
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They block ALL BUT ONE angle of reflection. That's how polarizing gates work. Yes, it does add protection, as most of the other light is blocked, therefore, you receive less.

If you were being bombarded with ionizing radiation, and someone put a lead sheet up that absorbed 99% of it, would you consider that protection?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But hell, what do I know

Study up.  

The UV coating all ready filters out around 99% of the harmful radiation on most quality sunglasses
Polarization does not add any protection
It just cuts glare
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I strongly dislike polarized sunglasses too, my tractor has two lcd screens that i monitor almost constantly.  I can barely see either while wearing polarized lenses, and it's somewhat difficult to avoid them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Fish without them if you want to catch less fish, or hit a reef.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted: can't see the radio, can't see the fuel pump readout, can't see your phone.
View Quote

that's the feature I like about them!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But hell, what do I know
View Quote

I wonder how much damage you have done to your eyes by using the wrong glasses.  If you are concerned about sun damage, then you need glasses that protect you from UV.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Op, when you cant see an LCD display tilt your head a bit.
See? Clear as a bell.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Blame the polarized screens on everything else.
They work for nature.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I can see all those things just fine with my Oakleys. Maybe Smith fucked up the polarization angle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, my polarized Rudy Projects can see everything just fine.  If I turn my head 45 degrees the radio display goes black, but as long as I hold my head normally I can see all displays and through windshields like normal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Went on a business trip with my old boss, he was driving his car.  He kept lifting up his new sunglasses to see his GPS.  

"Polarized, huh.  You'll have that"

I asked him if he could see the fish finder in his boat.  Never got an answer, but it is a real question.  

Do the fish finder manufacturers orient their LCD display differently so that they can be viewed with polarized lenses?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They work for nature.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They work for nature.

If we're just dealing with nature, like I was working in the yard, then yes all is cool.

Things you deal with in everyday life, not so cool.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#28]
i use smith optics w/ brown  and i don't have any of those problems.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
only the windshields of very expensive cars (that I can't afford!) get that patchwork look.
View Quote

I have noticed the opposite, only home done tint, or cheaply done (I am assuming) gives me the patchwork look.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't have those issues with my Costas.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't have those issues with my Costas.
View Quote

If you mean Costa Del Mar...I concur.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree, can't see boat electronics either.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't have any of those issues with my polarized oakley sunglasses, except for the car window thing.. but it's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Polarized rudy's no problems
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Must be the Smiths, I have the same problem with a pair I own. My Costa's are much better but I can't read the LCD screens on a gas pump with them either.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#36]
I drive with polarized sunglasses, they seem to help when it rains too.

I don't have any problem reading LCD screens with my sunglasses, only exception is when I turn my phone into landscape mode. Perhaps my sunglasses are polarized at a different angle, or maybe all the LCD screens in my AO are different somehow.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I can see all those things just fine with my Oakleys.
Maybe Smith fucked up the polarization angle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see all those things just fine with my Oakleys.
Maybe Smith fucked up the polarization angle.

Same here, mine are Rx but I doubt that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Polarized lenses let me see where BIG trout live.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I like polarized lenses for fishing.
Totally hate them for motorcycle riding under a tinted shield. Gives similar distortions you encounter with LCD screens but on the road surface. Very distracting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
First world problems
View Quote

FWP
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Agree. Polarized are dumb. Gimmicky.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I can see how shitty GM paint jobs are
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#43]
What you need is some Blu-Blockers.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll give you $5 for them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#45]
+1. Try looking through an airplane windshield.  Looks like this.   #####################.  

It sucks that Sams club and Costco don't even offer non polarized prescription glasses.  Wtf is up with that?  

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Polarized Edge safety glasses. Minor problem at the gas pump, but so much easier on my eyes for everything else.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My cellphone screen looks fine, and only the windshields of very expensive cars (that I can't afford!) get that patchwork look. My sunglasses are Maui Jim's which have very high quality glass lenses.

If theres some thing I can't read because of the polarizatiom I just let my shades dangle on their croakies, read that thing, and then put them back on.
View Quote

My Chevy truck gets that look on the side windows, but not on the windshield.

I kinda agree with the O.P.: polarized lenses are great in the right circumstances, but can be annoying at times. I mainly use them for fishing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Awesome for fishing, but I don't like them for driving
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Went on a business trip with my old boss, he was driving his car.  He kept lifting up his new sunglasses to see his GPS.  

"Polarized, huh.  You'll have that"

I asked him if he could see the fish finder in his boat.  Never got an answer, but it is a real question.  

Do the fish finder manufacturers orient their LCD display differently so that they can be viewed with polarized lenses?
View Quote

High-end stuff has everything at the same polarization angle (45 degrees from vertical to the user's right IIRC) so you can use them all without tilting your head.
It's the cheap shit where the angles are all over the place that cause problems.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I ride a motorcycle.  Polarized is a bad idea, unless you want to barf.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top