User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.flexbar.com/PDF/MSDS-Certs/ROCKSETT%20MSDS.pdf
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Lmfao.  Does no one own a barrel vise?  I think the one I've got was only  $15.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ADCO did a nice job fixing my sheared index pin.
View Quote

What'd it cost you? Thinking about just sending this thing to them and having them cut/thread/pin/weld the proper can mount and repair what I hope is just a sheared index pin.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Use a torch for 45 seconds and Rockset will not be a factor.  I've removed at least 10 using this method and its a cinch.  The flash hider will be hotter than the sun, but the barrel will only be warm if you do it right.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive replaced muzzle devices from LaRue an Knights that were rocksetted, and the hammer trick has always worked, you need to give it a mighty wack though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#7]
10/10 OP. I've been in your shoes albeit a different manufacturer. The one thing that helped me was when I took a fairly large metal hammer and smacked the shit out of the wrench I had on the hider. That impact would fracture the rockset and it screwed off by hand. Have done it several other times now and it works every time. Make sure it is a fast strike and it will spin right off. I used acetone to clean the mess off the threads before the new brake went on. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#8]
9/10.  Woulda been a 10 if you
Showed your upper in question
Had a pic of Chuy titty fucking some hot chick
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#9]
You could always have to deal with this:

Yes, that "string" is actually red Loctite.
Broke the reciever nose on the sister rifle to this one. We had no idea it was Loctited.
Both built by a shop who touted they built the best custom AR's....thankfully no longer in business.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#10]
it with a metal hammer. Rockset fractures very easily.

Tried that. Nothing.

Quoted:
Bernzomatic for 30 seconds, screws off just like one with a crush washer. Problem solved. No ARFCOM rant required.

Negative. Tried that, too. Didn't do shit.
Put your purse down and try again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Link?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

Something like this
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/372329/model-1-barrel-vise-jaws-ar-15-aluminum
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

I made my own barrel clamp by making a channel on a pair of hardwood blocks. However, that solution doesn't work for all uppers. I have a couple that don't have room for a clamp, and the forends are most firmly installed.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You could always have to deal with this:http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u69/hockeysew/IMG_3042_zpsd7c5fb35.jpg

Broke the reciever nose on the sister rifle to this one. We had no idea it was Loctited.

Both built by a shop who touted they built the best custom AR's....thankfully no longer in business.
View Quote

Hollleeeyyyyy Shit!  Red Loctite on the barrel nut?!?!?!  Because... how else could you possibly keep it from spinning off the end?  It is not like it has a gas tube running through the teeth that would keep it from rotating or anything.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#14]
rant: 8 out of 10

well done!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hollleeeyyyyy Shit!  Red Loctite on the barrel nut?!?!?!  Because... how else could you possibly keep it from spinning off the end?  It is not like it has a gas tube running through the teeth that would keep it from rotating or anything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You could always have to deal with this:http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u69/hockeysew/IMG_3042_zpsd7c5fb35.jpg

Yup, my thoughts exactly. It just showed they didn't have a clue.
Of course they also touted their "full house" treatment which included polishing off ALL of the parkerizing on the BCG for "less drag"
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Still better than BCM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck them and their fucking decision to Rocksett their god-damned three-prong flash hider/suppressor mount on their mother fucking .300 BO uppers.  What stupid son-of-a-bitch decided that every cocksucking owner of one these abortions would have nothing but an over priced AAC muffler to mount on it.  Could they just include the fucking Rocksett in a package and let the cockgobbling end user apply if they decided to keep it?  No!  They had to slather that fucking shit on every square inch of the muzzle threads so that no matter what I've tried, be it levering it off (broke a tine), soaking it water for 24 hours (just rusted the fucking thing), or heated it up (because, you know, heat resistance), this mother fucker is not moving.  Oh wait, no it's moving all right, IT'S MOVING THE ENTIRE GOD-DAMNED FUCKING BARREL ASSEMBLY NOW!  What the titty-fucking Christ is this shit.  I suppose my only recourse now is to take it to a fucking gunsmith and have him cut the fucking barrel and pin/weld this sumbich in place to meet 16" with the fucking suppressor mount I ACTUALLY FUCKING INTEND TO USE ON THIS FUCKING THING.

FUCK AAC!

It is a nice upper though, everything considered.

Still better than BCM.

The truth. You speak it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have used rocksett several times and found it to be generally weak.  I have never used anything other than a barrel vice and a FS wrench.  I have found it to be sort of like a weak high temp blue loctite.
View Quote

A high temp blue loctite would be perfect for a suppressor mount...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:38:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Good rant (you didn't get it hot enough, wanker!)

I stake my sup. mounts.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#20]
9/10 . Next time call out the CEO or something.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Geissele reaction rod and aac tool. Boom.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:03:26 PM EDT
[#22]
wait, OP do you not have their flash hider tool?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#23]
You can get it. You won't have to cut the barrel. A gun smith can get it with out breaking the hider.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fuck them and their fucking decision to Rocksett their god-damned three-prong flash hider/suppressor mount on their mother fucking .300 BO uppers.  What stupid son-of-a-bitch decided that every cocksucking owner of one these abortions would have nothing but an over priced AAC muffler to mount on it.  Could they just include the fucking Rocksett in a package and let the cockgobbling end user apply if they decided to keep it?  No!  They had to slather that fucking shit on every square inch of the muzzle threads so that no matter what I've tried, be it levering it off (broke a tine), soaking it water for 24 hours (just rusted the fucking thing), or heated it up (because, you know, heat resistance), this mother fucker is not moving.  Oh wait, no it's moving all right, IT'S MOVING THE ENTIRE GOD-DAMNED FUCKING BARREL ASSEMBLY NOW!  What the titty-fucking Christ is this shit.  I suppose my only recourse now is to take it to a fucking gunsmith and have him cut the fucking barrel and pin/weld this sumbich in place to meet 16" with the fucking suppressor mount I ACTUALLY FUCKING INTEND TO USE ON THIS FUCKING THING.

FUCK AAC!

View Quote

Did you use the right tool for removing it?   Sounds like no.  If the barrel assembly is moving, then you sheared the index pin and were not securing the barrel correctly.

Leave this sort of job to someone who knows what they're doing and/or has the right tools.   Rocksett is not a big deal, but you can't crank on the barrel like that without securing it properly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#25]
lol, AAC
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

FUCK AAC!

View Quote

Been there, done that.  I actually rotated the barrel on a DPMS Recon AR-10 trying to get that stupid thing off.  I finally took it to a smith and he could not budge it.  Finally, a second smith could and then had to fix the rifle from the rotation.

I soaked that thing in hot water, but nothing.  I was pissed and pissed could be.  I feel your pain.  In fact I have no desire for AAC anything after that.  I went mostly Silencerco.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#27]

10/10
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Soaked mine in water for 2 days, came right off and I'm weak! soaked it for 2 days, b/c after 1 day I saw the rocksett turn brown and seep out, but was still tough to turn.  2nd day was easy. But I replaced my 3 prong with blackout2.0 comp.

If you didn't want an AAC can, there are other uppers you could have chosen from.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#29]
People bitch when things don't work, and apparently bitch when they do work.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Direct from multiple sources at AAC....paraphrased:

Use a Geissele Reaction Rod and the AAC Blackout removal tool.
You could also clamp the barrel if you have a 16" upper.  You did secure the barrel in some fashion right?!?!

I haven't removed the one from my 12.5" upper as I found out my 18T suppressor will work on the 51T mount.

Also, they use Rocksett because that is what they should do.  If they didn't peop!e wouldn't putbitbon and would launch their cans downrange.  I think they go overboard sometimes but they should do it in my opinion.
View Quote
Wait a sec, my m41k will thread on to a 51t mount?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have used rocksett several times and found it to be generally weak.  I have never used anything other than a barrel vice and a FS wrench.  I have found it to be sort of like a weak high temp blue loctite.

IIRC Hi temp loctite is only good to ~450f.  Rocksett was above 1kf.  I have used rocksett on my suppressor mounts and had no problem removing them.  Maybe I just got a bad batch of rocksett.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:21:09 AM EDT
[#32]
8/10 on the rant I didn't see a FBHO in it
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

FUCK AAC!

View Quote

You are right OP. It's fucking bullshit that they made you buy thier upper!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The truth. You speak it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK AAC!

Still better than BCM.

The truth. You speak it.

Are you saying I might encounter issues when trying to remove my 'pinned' A2X ?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#35]
So your mad cause the FH for a SUPPRESSOR is installed the right way?  God for bid someone actually attaches a suppressor to the upper.

Think about this.  Someone buys the upper for its intended purpose but AAC used a crush washer instead.  Then someone screws on a an AAC can and gets an end cap strike or total failure?  Then finds out they used a crush washer?  Props to AAC for actually doing their job right.

Oh oh sorry I'm not (GD) thinking.  Burn AAC. F them!  F freedom group.

Nice rant though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK AAC!

Still better than BCM.

The truth. You speak it.

Cut off tool. My wife's upper was easy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK AAC!

Still better than BCM.

The truth. You speak it.

I was gonna jig it in the the press & drill out the welded pin - I'm guessing the threads are also secured with some sort of locker ?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#38]
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=481076
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Same chemical the fucking Zero admin used to destroy engines during the cash for clunkers campaign.  Fuck sodium silicate.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Build your own upper from parts, then no issues.  Who is forcing you to buy their product?  
You come across as an obama voter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#41]
I have this barrel that a buddy gave me. His buddy gave it to him, it has pipe wrench marks on the barrel and when I got it, the threads totally sheared off and smooth. I sent it to Adco to be cut off and re-threaded. I am sure they were thinking WTF when the got.

I guess somebody got a little pissed at it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Direct from multiple sources at AAC....paraphrased:
Use a Geissele Reaction Rod and the AAC Blackout removal tool.

You could also clamp the barrel if you have a 16" upper.  You did secure the barrel in some fashion right?!?!

I haven't removed the one from my 12.5" upper as I found out my 18T suppressor will work on the 51T mount.

Also, they use Rocksett because that is what they should do.  If they didn't peop!e wouldn't putbitbon and would launch their cans downrange.  I think they go overboard sometimes but they should do it in my opinion.

I am not sure on that specific model but was told it would be fine for my 762SD.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Have another 2 more Gentleman Jack. Revisit tomorrow do it now
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I soaked mine in water for 24 hours.  Came right off.
View Quote

This. I thought that was the "proper" way to remove a device with rockset?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Straight from Brownells under the Q&A for Rocksett

"The manufacturer recommends soaking in water for an extended period (several hours) and it will deteriorate. A quicker process would be to totally immerse in hot water for approximately 30 minutes and then break free with a wrench. Don't have a direct comparison to Loctite, but would consider stronger that Blue and approaching the Red. This product is desirable when heat-resistance is highly desired such as muzzle devices that will operate in conjunction with suppressors."
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Straight from Brownells under the Q&A for Rocksett

"The manufacturer recommends soaking in water for an extended period (several hours) and it will deteriorate. A quicker process would be to totally immerse in hot water for approximately 30 minutes and then break free with a wrench. Don't have a direct comparison to Loctite, but would consider stronger that Blue and approaching the Red. This product is desirable when heat-resistance is highly desired such as muzzle devices that will operate in conjunction with suppressors."
View Quote

I've done that three times now.  The first time for 3 hours.  The second for 12 and the last for over 24.  Nothing has worked.  Beating on the front and sides of the mount, applying heat, etc.

For those of you saying, "are you using the correct tool?"  Fuck that.  I should be able to take off a fucking suppressor mount using the same fucking tools I use to mount an A2 hider.  They're not some fucking amazingly designed device.  I shouldn't need three $100 specialty tools to remove this fucking thing.

Either way, I'm done with it.  I'm just going to contact ADCO and have them attempt to remove it after they repair/replace the index pin.  If they can't, I'll have them cut the god-damned thing off and get the one I want to use on the barrel at 16.1" OAL.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Is it really an effective rant if you refer to yourself as "cockgobbling?"

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

FUCK AAC!

View Quote

Need a shot and some vallium?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Soak it in water overnight, as per Rocksett.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top