Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2015 4:03:50 PM EDT
First read about it in American Rifleman, & sed "Hmmm, sez it's good not only on metals, but also wood AND leather!  Interdasting!"  Seems to be the one mixture you can spray about your gun with reckless abandon, and it was CLP before CLP.  According to the spiel, it was developed by the German Imperial army around 1904, by Dr. Helmut Klever (Seriously!  That was the guy's name! ).  Mineral-oil based, it can be mixed with water, and is green, biodegradable and hand-safe.

Website

Just gots me a 16-ozzie non-aerosol jug to play with, so's I can assess the veracity of these overblown claims for myself.  Anyone else use this gunk?  How has it worked for you?  Wonder juice?  Horror stories?  Inquiring minds want to know!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#1]
All I know about Ballistol is that Pete from the Armory Channel on Youtube loves the shit.

I think he drinks it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Works well with your fleshlight too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I love the product, hate the smell.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love the product, hate the smell.
View Quote

Yeah, I haven't broached the seal yet.  Farking amazing stuff tho, supposedly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Works well with your fleshlight too.
View Quote

Yanno, they say it's good on rubber, too.  Electronics also!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used it for insect bites too. Good for corrosive ammo cleaning. You can pretty much use it for anything.
/
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#7]
If it works on wood and leather like it does on metal, throw it away.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I like it. Does the job. I mainly use it for black powder cleanup.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/user/mkern2520/media/tbqo7CN_zpscpfbeuso.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/mkern2520/tbqo7CN_zpscpfbeuso.jpg</a>
View Quote

If you scroll your mouse wheel up and down real fast while you are looking at that image it will give you a seizure.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#10]
It is all of this.  What it is not is an excellent lubricant.  You'll run an AR dry of it long before you would with a modern CLP.  I use it for all kinds of stuff though.  Mix it with water and use that to scrub out after corrosive ammo.  Done.  It's also good for dry chapped hands.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#11]
It is all I use on my wood and blued guns.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/user/mkern2520/media/tbqo7CN_zpscpfbeuso.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/mkern2520/tbqo7CN_zpscpfbeuso.jpg</a>
View Quote

I have used it for a long time and none of my guns look like that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Welp, the one-tool-for-all-jobs thing always was sort of a compromise, and you have to accept that.  Anyone know how actual CLP worked?

Glad to see my beloved Boeshield T9 did well, tho.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#14]
It's all I've used for years.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Good shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/mkern2520/tbqo7CN_zpscpfbeuso.jpg
View Quote

Not my experience.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#17]
It is good stuff, and great for use with corrosive ammo because it mixes with water.   Aside from the smell, the big limitation is that it is not suitable for long term storage. It will not harm anything, but will get a tacky caked on feel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#18]
It is all that I use.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It is good stuff, and great for use with corrosive ammo because it mixes with water.   Aside from the smell, the big limitation is that it is not suitable for long term storage. It will not harm anything, but will get a tacky caked on feel.
View Quote

Hmmm, just broached the container, and while it may not smell like roses, it really ain't that bad, either.    Certainly no worse than Hoppe's.  Cleaned some gunk off my knife blade well enough...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I've used it for a long time.  It smells quite pleasant and I spray a dash on my hands to pat my face before going out on the town.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#22]

If Ballistol is good enough for Hickok45, it's good enough for you.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good shit.
View Quote

I second that. I use it for the wood on my guns, to get ticks off my dog and as a de-icer for the door locks on my car in winter time. Also makes for a good wound disinfectant.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Ballistol contains medicinal g

rade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil from

vegetal seeds. The mineral oil is unchlorinated and conforms to the specifications of US Pharmacopeia XX.

That's from the MSDS.

Amazing but true, it's just another mineral oil based general light lube.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Good for corrosive ammo cleaning

Used by the German Army from 1905 to 1945

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistol
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#26]
If you have an old C&R rifle and are throwing everything you have at the dirty bore to get it clean, put some Ballistol in the rotation.  Seems to help the process.

Worth having in the arsenal.  Smells like nothing I've ever experienced.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you have an old C&R rifle and are throwing everything you have at the dirty bore to get it clean, put some Ballistol in the rotation.  Seems to help the process.

View Quote

We called it beaver piss, back in the old days...

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Works better than unicorn tears
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Great stuff.

1001 uses really.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#31]
It does dissolve lead and copper slowly, Hoppes works better on dissolving Pb and Cu.

It's non-toxic not the best of anything but not the worst.

Equilibrium between cleaning/low-toxicity/lube.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#32]
You can use it as an antiseptic if you get hurt.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Works well for cleaning black powder. I have also used it as a patch lubricant with my black powder rifles, it doesn't contaminate the powder and keeps the residue soft. Using a petroleum based oil with black powder creates a black tarry goo where as Balistol does not.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

You've never smelled dirty gym socks?

FWIW, I like Ballistol for use on black powder guns. In particular, I use it to lube the cylinder base pin of percussion revolvers.

I prefer FP-10 or ATF for a general use gun oil.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Works well for cleaning black powder. I have also used it as a patch lubricant with my black powder rifles, it doesn't contaminate the powder and keeps the residue soft. Using a petroleum based oil with black powder creates a black tarry goo where as Balistol does not.
View Quote

Ballistol is petroleum based. Read the MSDS. It's mostly mineral oil.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Horror story - heard it was good for corrosive AK ammo.  I think I diluted it and soaked the AK74 in it, dumped the excess in the bathtub since I lived in a townhome w/HOA.  Stained the bathtub permanently with the blackened/grease mixture.  Did not come out with comet, bleach, soft scrub, etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Horror story - heard it was good for corrosive AK ammo.  I think I diluted it and soaked the AK74 in it, dumped the excess in the bathtub since I lived in a townhome w/HOA.  Stained the bathtub permanently with the blackened/grease mixture.  Did not come out with comet, bleach, soft scrub, etc.
View Quote

Good to know.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#38]
It works as a CLP, but it's mineral based. I'm finding anything mineral based eventually gums up and gets rancid. I stick with synthetic based clp's such as Breakfree or Slip EWL.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Safety note -
You skin is your body's largest organ and it absorbs EVERYTHING.
I use Ballistol on anything metal that I touch or grab because it is non-toxic.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It works as a CLP, but it's mineral based. I'm finding anything mineral based eventually gums up and gets rancid. I stick with synthetic based clp's such as Breakfree or Slip EWL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Um, no. From Ballistol.com:

Ballistol does not resinify. Most other lubricants are subject to relatively fast aging and oxidation. They harden in time – a process which is called “resinification.” The oil begins to thicken, becomes sticky, gluey, and finally turns into a hard resinous substance. By contrast, Ballistol contains a combination of anti-oxidants and medical oils, which together make it much less susceptible to the process of aging than other lubricants. Read more about Ballistol’s longevity.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#41]
I use it to make "moose milk" when I get done shooting my muzzleloaders or any corrosive ammo. Works great for cleaning 7n6 residue out of my AK74. Break it down, spray it the bolt, down the barrel while still hot then run a  few patches down the barrel...finish cleaning at home.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#42]

A guy I work with uses it all the time at work, cleaning his guns, cleaning his golf clubs. I swear he bathes in it. That and his frog lube. And he always does it right by my desk. So I have the pleasure of that smell and a nice slippery tile floor.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#43]
I see a picture with some rusty washers.  What does it actually show?  Were the washers coated with each product and then just left standing in a shop to rust?  Were they sprayed with water for 24 hours?  Were they exposed to a corrosive solution after lubrication?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I use it to make "moose milk" when I get done shooting my muzzleloaders or any corrosive ammo. Works great for cleaning 7n6 residue out of my AK74. Break it down, spray it the bolt, down the barrel while still hot then run a  few patches down the barrel...finish cleaning at home.

View Quote

How do you make "moose milk"?  I'm curious because I have a Thompson percussion rifle in my safe I picked up on the cheap.  I'm planning to use it next year's muzzleloader season, so now's the time to start load development.  This is my first blackpowder firearm, and I'm a little concerned about cleaning/corrosion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How do you make "moose milk"?  I'm curious because I have a Thompson percussion rifle in my safe I picked up on the cheap.  I'm planning to use it next year's muzzleloader season, so now's the time to start load development.  This is my first blackpowder firearm, and I'm a little concerned about cleaning/corrosion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ballistol & water mixed as directed on the bottle...
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Safety note -
You skin is your body's largest organ and it absorbs EVERYTHING.
I use Ballistol on anything metal that I touch or grab because it is non-toxic.

View Quote

That is why I switched to Ballistol and Frog Lube.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Smells like dead prehistoric fish
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
All I know about Ballistol is that Pete from the Armory Channel on Youtube loves the shit.

I think he drinks it.

View Quote

Hickok 45 also uses it exclusively.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top