Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good. I've killed more deer and squirrels than I can count and eat everything I kill. These people that go to Africa to kill animals just for the fuck of it can choke themselves.
View Quote
All those dead animals in Africa are eaten too. Did you think they just leave a ton of meat to rot in the sun?

What about your latest burger?  Kill all those cows yourself?  No?  

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Apparently I don't.  

Poor fat white guys then?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just like skydiving accidents, you know what you're risking when you do dangerous shit. Not like he didn't know what he was getting into.

Exactly. There's a lot of other people I'd rather give sympathy too rather than this guy

This.

Sometimes the pendulum swings the other way.

If the elephants are a local problem, let the locals deal with them.  Fat rich white dudes going out of their way to "deal" with them get no sympathy from me, and sometimes its entertaining to see nature get one victory out of what probably amounts to 10,000 or so losses.

Kinda like missionaries that go to 3rd world shitholes to spread the word of Christianity.  Oh.  Well.
You obviously don't understand the economics of safari hunting.    

Apparently I don't.  

Elephants tearing up crops because too many elephants.

Local shoots it.

Locals eat it

Vs

Dude in Africa rents hunting rights from .gov

Dude hires a dozen or more locals

Rich guy from abroad comes over, pays tons of money along the way, shoots elephant

Locals eat it

Guy has tusks sent home.

Everybody is happy and gainfully employed (except the butthurt PETA types that can't understand how things beyond their neighborhood works)

You really should try forming opinions based on logic and facts instead if emotion.

It's fun.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
"Karma" can be a bitch.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Good. It's not like the elephantine population in Africa has declined drastically over the last century or anything.
View Quote

Professional hunters are not the cause of a declining population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_elephant

Population estimates and poaching

During the 20th century, poaching significantly reduced the population of Loxodonta in some regions. The World Wildlife Foundation believes there were between 3 and 5 million African elephants as recently as the 1930s and 1940s.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_elephant#cite_note-41][41][/url] Between 1980 and 1990 the population of African elephants was more than halved, from 1.3 million to around 600,000.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_elephant#cite_note-42][42][/url][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_elephant#cite_note-43][43][/url] Between 1973 and 1989, the African elephant population of Kenya declined by 85%.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_elephant#cite_note-Status-2002-10][10][/url] In Chad, the population declined from 400,000 in 1970 to about 10,000 in 2006. The population in the Tanzanian Selous Game Reserve, once the largest of any reserve in the world, dropped from 109,000 in 1976 to 13,000 in 2013.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_elephant#cite_note-IvoryCurse-44][44][/url]

That's only a small excerpt, please read the whole thing.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes you are the hunter, and once in your life you become the hunted.  It is the way of the world.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Local shoots it.
Locals eat it

Vs

Rich guy from abroad comes over, pays tons of money along the way, shoots elephant
Locals eat it
Guy has tusks sent home.
Everybody is happy and gainfully employed (except the butthurt PETA types that can't understand how things beyond their neighborhood works)

You really should try forming opinions based on logic and facts instead if emotion.
It's fun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. There's a lot of other people I'd rather give sympathy too rather than this guy

This.

If the elephants are a local problem, let the locals deal with them.  Fat rich white dudes going out of their way to "deal" with them get no sympathy from me, and sometimes its entertaining to see nature get one victory out of what probably amounts to 10,000 or so losses.

Kinda like missionaries that go to 3rd world shitholes to spread the word of Christianity.  Oh.  Well.
You obviously don't understand the economics of safari hunting.    

Apparently I don't.  

Local shoots it.
Locals eat it

Vs

Locals eat it
Guy has tusks sent home.

It's fun.

Actually what I posted wasn't about economics, it was about some random dude going out of his way to do something he knew was dangerous and getting stomped in the process.  Im sure there are plenty of local Africans that get killed hunting these things, but they don't make the news.  One guy, who goes out of his way to hunt them gets killed, and we hear about it.  That was my point, and it never had anything to do with economics.  It had to do with a guy going out of his way to deal with an otherwise local problem, and getting killed.

Thank you for your expert briefing on African Safari Economics.  Unfortunately google, which is about as credible as your post, has plenty of info that contradicts many parts of what you've said.  But since that had nothing to do with my post, and since I really don't care, it is still phenomenally irrelevant.

Your response's irrelevance to my post would indicate that you really should try to grasp fundamentals of reading comprehension before going off on a tangent about my usage of the word "rich" as anything other than a slight against the people taking part in these activities.

So, based on that, I'm sticking with my original argument that fat white hunter going out of his way to hunt dangerous African animals will have the same end result, which is me giving precisely zero fucks.  

Next time you call me out, please call me out for something I said, not something you wanted to argue for the sake of arguing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#7]
The only happy ending that's possible with an elephant hunt. Hope more scumbags like him get stomped.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Local shoots it.

Locals eat it
Vs

Locals eat it

Guy has tusks sent home.

It's fun.

View Quote

I don't believe that has been legal since the early-mid 70s.

Otherwise, yeah, it is a huge boon to their economy.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Actually what I posted wasn't about economics, it was about some random dude going out of his way to do something he knew was dangerous and getting stomped in the process.  Im sure there are plenty of local Africans that get killed hunting these things, but they don't make the news.  One guy, who goes out of his way to hunt them gets killed, and we hear about it.  That was my point, and it never had anything to do with economics.  It had to do with a guy going out of his way to deal with an otherwise local problem, and getting killed.

Thank you for your expert briefing on African Safari Economics.  Unfortunately google, which is about as credible as your post, has plenty of info that contradicts many parts of what you've said.  But since that had nothing to do with my post, and since I really don't care, it is still phenomenally irrelevant.

Your response's irrelevance to my post would indicate that you really should try to grasp fundamentals of reading comprehension before going off on a tangent about my usage of the word "rich" as anything other than a slight against the people taking part in these activities.

So, based on that, I'm sticking with my original argument that fat white hunter going out of his way to hunt dangerous African animals will have the same end result, which is me giving precisely zero fucks.  

Next time you call me out, please call me out for something I said, not something you wanted to argue for the sake of arguing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Okay.

Hmmm, where to start?

How about the fact is the guy killed was not "some random dude going out of his way to do something he knew was dangerous and getting stomped in the process" , but instead was the PH (Professional Hunter), ie the local trying to earn a living, the guy that guides and directs the entire safari process was the one killed.

Funny, you cant even get the basic facts of the story correct before going off on your tirade of 'not giving fucks'.

But don't worry, I doubt anyone really wants them, so you can keep them.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#10]
These threads call out all the folks who spend too much time watching Disney.  Shoot a deer, shoot a hog, shoot an elephant...they're all animals.  As long as it's humane and legal, then there's no difference.  

For all the people crying about the hunter not eating the meat, then do you say it's wrong to hunt coyotes (because I don't know of anyone who eats coyote),  As others have pointed out, the locals do eat animals taken on safari, so doesn't that make the elephant hunter more noble than the coyote hunter.  Maybe it's just to be a noble hunter, a person must eat what they kill.  So I guess when I take a deer and donate it to Hunter's for the Hungry I'm a scum of the earth hunter.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Local shoots it.
Locals eat it

Vs

Locals eat it
Guy has tusks sent home.

View Quote

that's an extremely romanticized version.  the opposing version, which is supported by empirical research, works more like this:

>deer in idaho destroying crops because too many deer.

>japanese tourists pay lots of money to the EPA for hunting privileges.

>EPA prohibits idaho residents from killing deer.  if an idahoan kills a deer that is destroying his crops, he goes to federal prison.

>japanese dude hires a dozen or so local guides/porters, out of the thousands and thousands of idahoans.

>guides have to give kickbacks to the EPA in exchange for this privilege.

>rich japanese dude pays tons of money along the way, mostly to corrupt government officials.  shoots deer.

>guy kills deer.  locals eat whatever he doesn't want.

>EPA officials, police chief, and game warden are really happy because lots of baksheesh.  a dozen locals make a little bit of money.

>the rest of idaho gets fucked.

now, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but your rose-colored glasses are showing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Okay.

Hmmm, where to start?

How about the fact is the guy killed was not "some random dude going out of his way to do something he knew was dangerous and getting stomped in the process" , but instead was the PH (Professional Hunter), ie the local trying to earn a living, the guy that guides and directs the entire safari process was the one killed.

Funny, you cant even get the basic facts of the story correct before going off on your tirade of 'not giving fucks'.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.

Hmmm, where to start?

Facts are irrelevant.  The people going on about "good stomping" aren't basing their opinion on facts but emotion.  Funny how if someone makes a pure emotional call to ban  guns they are a "stupid libtard", but make an emotional decision that one type of hunting is "bad" and it's okay.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Way too many faggots in this thread, OP included.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Facts are irrelevant.  The people going on about "good stomping" aren't basing their opinion on facts but emotion.  Funny how if someone makes a pure emotional call to ban  guns they are a "stupid libtard", but make an emotional decision that one type of hunting is "bad" and it's okay.
View Quote

this thread is a two-way range as far as feels are concerned.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#15]
The hunter sometimes becomes the hunted. I thought this was somewhat of the thrill of hunting dangerous game.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Karma...play the game of killing tons of animals for sport eventually it's going to catch up to you and one of those animals might fight back
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good

Karma...play the game of killing tons of animals for sport eventually it's going to catch up to you and one of those animals might fight back

I agree
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just like skydiving accidents, you know what you're risking when you do dangerous shit. Not like he didn't know what he was getting into.

This.

Agree
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Okay.

Hmmm, where to start?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.

Hmmm, where to start?

I know who got killed.  The fat guy in the article.

Winks are reserved for when you actually make a fucking point, sport.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

ditto....

I think Elephants are the most awesome animals on Earth...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I hunt bear with a bow, I know that it might get me killed, but that is part of the adventure. This gentleman understood that, once I save up enough I am going to do an African hunt, though I am not sure if I will do Elephant, that is pricey
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The only happy ending that's possible with an elephant hunt. Hope more scumbags like him get stomped.
View Quote

Wow, what an unintelligent and uninformed opinion. Not unexpected from a 13er.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh well
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Fair Chase and all..........
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I agree
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good

I agree

It's irony, not Karma.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I hunt bear with a bow, I know that it might get me killed, but that is part of the adventure. This gentleman understood that, once I save up enough I am going to do an African hunt, though I am not sure if I will do Elephant, that is pricey
View Quote

Tuskless hunts are usually very affordable when they are available. If you want danger and a story to tell this is the hunt for you. Cows are significantly more aggressive than bulls, on average. Bluff charges are rare. Worse, you have to go into the cow herds to find a mature cow w/o calf. You're at close range, all the cows are aggressive, and you have to be sure you find the right animal and avoid hitting the others.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Dear bleeding hearts in this thread:

Elephant hunting is one of the bigger incentives for the locals TO PROTECT THE ELEPHANTS RATHER THAN POACH THEM OR EAT THEM. African countries that do not hunt elephants have suffered steep declines in populations.

The unintended consequenses of not hunting elephants is they die from out of control poaching.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#27]
It's unbelievable that some assholes  think that an animal,  ANY animal is worth more than a human life.   African big game hunting promotes the endangered species.  

Bunch of liberal morons around here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Elephant hunting is one of the bigger incentives for the locals TO PROTECT THE ELEPHANTS RATHER THAN POACH THEM OR EAT THEM. African countries that do not hunt elephants have suffered steep declines in populations.

The unintended consequenses of not hunting elephants is they die from out of control poaching.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's unbelievable that some assholes  think that an animal,  ANY animal is worth more than a human life.   African big game hunting promotes the endangered species.  

Bunch of liberal morons around here.
View Quote

I would like to think they are just uneducated and need to understand the way of the world. I think that would be wrong and that you are correct.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Zero fucks given.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

He also said a Cape Buffalo looked at you like you owed him money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peter Capstick, professional hunter and author, described some of the inventive ways elephants kill people.

that's a quote from Robert Ruark.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow. I had no idea arfcom had this many complete fucktards. No fucking idea of how big game hunting works. PETA Puffers without a clue.

OP sensationalized an event by making up a bullshit tag line. Not exactly what happened. Young Bull Elephants are not targeted by experienced PH's. There is a reason the Client was left with the trackers and not standing next to the PH when this happened.
The PH was most likely trying to get closer to check both the size and age of the Elephant they were tracking and look for others that may be close by. A guy as experienced as that PH knew that particular Elephant was all wound up and did not want a bunch of inexperienced people getting to close until he sized up the situation,

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Good. I've killed more deer and squirrels than I can count and eat everything I kill. These people that go to Africa to kill animals just for the fuck of it can choke themselves.
View Quote

You are the problem not them. Because you have no idea what it takes to balance the herd or make what is available balance out to the animals that are there.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Again?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Way too many faggots in this thread, OP included.
View Quote

I'm going with this.

I have no desire to hunt an elephant; I rather like them.
If you want to legally hunt one, help yourself. I'm OK with that, too.

and yes, the meat is given to locals who will eat it down to the toenails.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#36]
These threads always reveal an interesting and odd attitude.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Tuskless hunts are usually very affordable when they are available. If you want danger and a story to tell this is the hunt for you. Cows are significantly more aggressive than bulls, on average. Bluff charges are rare. Worse, you have to go into the cow herds to find a mature cow w/o calf. You're at close range, all the cows are aggressive, and you have to be sure you find the right animal and avoid hitting the others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not the story to tell that I want, I have Cancer and realize that I have not done near as much in my life that I wanted to because i was always playing it safe, so now I live for me

I have never eaten Elephant but would like to try it (and in case anyone cares I have tried to eat at least 1 of every species I have killed, Coyote, Wolf, and gopher are on my never eat again but still willing to hunt list, they taste awful )
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Nope
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope

They are not reading your explanation, they don't get the concept of paid hunts in Africa.
It was probably a real old or nuisance animal on top of it.

Locals kill and eat fine

Hunter kills village eats, he pays a ton of cash that goes to conservation and local economy, like trackers, lodge employees, etc.

Stop thinking like PETA and start thinking logic. I don't even hunt and I get the concept, fucking guys...muh feels...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They are not reading your explanation, they don't get the concept of paid hunts in Africa.

Locals kill and eat fine

Hunter kills village eats, he pays a ton of cash that goes to conservation and local economy, like trackers, lodge employees, etc.

Stop thinking like PETA and start thinking logic. I don't even hunt and I get the concept, fucking guys...muh feels...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope

Locals kill and eat fine

Yep. I like you
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Good call! Typical moon bat liberal logic! Kill rats but save the deers! Deer lives matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I could buy an elephant a beer

Why does a person with your screen name want to celebrate the death of another hunter?

I'm betting that he sees hogs as vermin and food and sees elephants as wise cartoon characters who need a hug.

Good call! Typical moon bat liberal logic! Kill rats but save the deers! Deer lives matter.

i wouldnt even try to figure him out. it seems like gd is full of morans these days.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

the only happy ending that more scumbags like you get banned. i can only hope you get stomped by the ban hammer. we dont need liberal trolls here in gd. guys like him are the only reason elephants are not extinct. if these hunts were not big money poachers and hungry africans would have killed every elephant by now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

the only happy ending that more scumbags like you get banned. i can only hope you get stomped by the ban hammer. we dont need liberal trolls here in gd. guys like him are the only reason elephants are not extinct. if these hunts were not big money poachers and hungry africans would have killed every elephant by now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The hunter sometimes becomes the hunted. I thought this was somewhat of the thrill of hunting dangerous game.
View Quote

Yeah, it's a big part of the point, although the sympathies should always be with the person and not the animal when things go wrong (unless the hunter was just being a moron, which happens).  I never understood the people who think a wild animal is more valuable than a person.  It's a disgusting mentality, but it's always on display in these types of threads, despite the nature of this forum.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Peter Capstick, professional hunter and author, described some of the inventive ways elephants kill people.
View Quote

Poke and knead was a very effective method.
Do you recall the tale of the man eating Elephant
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Jeff Cooper quoted it as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Where's our resident elephant hunter with his video of him brainpanning one?

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Honestly, I can think of worse ways to die.

Like in your own poop in a nursing home.

Better to die doing something you love.

View Quote

No kidding.  For that matter, if I was an elephant, I 'm thinking that a .375 through the skull as you are wandering the plains in your late prime is probably one of the better deaths Africa has to offer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't have anything against elephants; but one of these days I'm going to quad-.50 Dumbo in mid-air and video tape it just to see all the weenies in GD wail.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#49]
People who hunt dangerous game or drive 200 mph are looking for an adrenaline rush. Why is there an adrenaline rush? Because you might die at any time. So why should anyone be surprised when it happens, and why is it even news?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

+87

This is the kind of thread where Arfcom really could use more 'Fudds'.  

The LACK of knowledge being so freely shared would be hilarious, if it weren't so pathetic.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top