BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The 7.62x51 was a bad idea from the start.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

G3 > FAL > M14

Fact.

Special Olympics.

You can blame us for that.  

I wonder how things would have turned out if we hadn't forced the 7.62 down NATO's throat?  The EM-2 was interesting even though I'm not a bullpup fan.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I wonder how things would have turned out if we hadn't forced the 7.62 down NATO's throat?  The EM-2 was interesting even though I'm not a bullpup fan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
G3 > FAL > M14

Fact.

Special Olympics.

Something along the lines of the .260 Rem would have been better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

there are many vastly superior options for a .308 autorifle, they just aren't nearly as good looking.
View Quote
While the M14 is not my favorite 308 rifle, "vastly superior" seems a bit overstated and dramatic doncha think?

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#4]
My father qualified on it and the Army and my stepfather used one in the Navy.   Both of them loved theirs and both have springfield M1As now.  I've owned a scout length that wasn't accurate at all.  At one time I owned an old Supermatch that was damn pretty.   I've been toying with getting an LRB from time to time, but for the money I'd probably just get a SCAR heavy.  Most of the issues in the article seemed to revolve around bad quality control and fitting at the manufacturer.  I'm thinking modern cnc machining has probably solved a lot of these issues.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my M1A for nostalgia, but I want a 7.62 AR for SHTF gun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There aren't many people who sit around and laud the F-86 as the pinnacle of air power, nor do those people pop into threads to decry anyone who bashes the F-86 as having never used one.

It's an old rifle and it's time is done.  It's fine to have one as a curiosity, like owning a monkey paw or a stuffed alligator or an entire set of those US States spoons, but it's not really a major player any more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blah, blah, blah. I don't understand why it has become so fashionable, or even necessary, to bash the M14, especially by many who have probably never used one. Yes, it is outdated (even though still in service.) Yes, the M16 is a much better rifle. But as everyone knows, the first M16's also had troubles. We've had 50-some years to iron out the problems, and have brought forth a fine rifle.

Today's fighter planes are much better than those of the 50's, but I don't see writers feeling the need to bash the F-86.

It served me well in my limited combat experience. It always functioned, and hit hard. Times change. If the Stuff ever Hits The Fan I'll take one of my AR's. That said, if saddled with only an M14 at the moment of truth, you could do far worse.

There aren't many people who sit around and laud the F-86 as the pinnacle of air power, nor do those people pop into threads to decry anyone who bashes the F-86 as having never used one.

It's an old rifle and it's time is done.  It's fine to have one as a curiosity, like owning a monkey paw or a stuffed alligator or an entire set of those US States spoons, but it's not really a major player any more.

Which I acknowledged, as do most people. I just don't see the need for a yearly new "why the M14 sucks" article. It's hack writing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The first center fire rifle I ever fired was an M14 in basic training at Fort Bliss. I qualified again in Infantry AIT at Fort Lewis and also qualified with the M14A1E2. In qualification with the E2 you take more than 1 to the line with you so you will have a back up.

I arrived in Vietnam October 13, 1968 having never held or had any training on an M16. I went to my unit and was issued a brand new M16A1. I took it out to the perimeter and zerored it on a can about 100 meters outside the perimeter. I decided then and there that this was a superior jungle combat weapon. I went back to supply and got 28 more magazines and filled 4 bandoliers. I then went to my asignment as a Forward Observer for A company 1/46 Infantry of the 198 Light Infantry Brigade.

I had heard all the tales of how bad the M16 was so before I left I took my wife to the LGS and told her to buy me a Browining Auto shotgun with the barrel shortened and ship it to me if I needed it. Well after walking around in the jungle for 7 months I saw 5 malfunctions of the M16A1. So I never got the Browning and I am very glad I didn't have to carry an M14.
<a href="http://s203.photobucket.com/user/72coupe/media/V44.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/72coupe/V44.jpg</a>
View Quote

Thank you for posting your interesting story
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get the book. "The Black Rifle". It is a great read.  The military switched from stick powder to ball powder,  pressures changed, much more dirty.  Cheaper, I am sure someone also had a financial interest in there also.

Chrome lining of the chamber and bore really helped with reducing problems.
View Quote

IIRC pressure went from like 40k to 70k with the new powder, and with it cyclic rates went up.

The Black Rifle is a great read, but there is a LOT of detail about powders and eventually it hurts my brain.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Blah, blah, blah. I don't understand why it has become so fashionable, or even necessary, to bash the M14, especially by many who have probably never used one. Yes, it is outdated (even though still in service.) Yes, the M16 is a much better rifle. But as everyone knows, the first M16's also had troubles. We've had 50-some years to iron out the problems, and have brought forth a fine rifle.

Today's fighter planes are much better than those of the 50's, but I don't see writers feeling the need to bash the F-86.

It served me well in my limited combat experience. It always functioned, and hit hard. Times change. If the Stuff ever Hits The Fan I'll take one of my AR's. That said, if saddled with only an M14 at the moment of truth, you could do far worse.
View Quote

The F-86 doesn't get used in Iraq or Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I remember doing a report in high school on the A1 for history class, and during my research, I read that a lot of the malfunctions and stoppages were a result of shitty dirty powder being used clogging up the internals. Was this a thing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The first center fire rifle I ever fired was an M14 in basic training at Fort Bliss. I qualified again in Infantry AIT at Fort Lewis and also qualified with the M14A1E2. In qualification with the E2 you take more than 1 to the line with you so you will have a back up.

I arrived in Vietnam October 13, 1968 having never held or had any training on an M16. I went to my unit and was issued a brand new M16A1. I took it out to the perimeter and zerored it on a can about 100 meters outside the perimeter. I decided then and there that this was a superior jungle combat weapon. I went back to supply and got 28 more magazines and filled 4 bandoliers. I then went to my asignment as a Forward Observer for A company 1/46 Infantry of the 198 Light Infantry Brigade.

I had heard all the tales of how bad the M16 was so before I left I took my wife to the LGS and told her to buy me a Browining Auto shotgun with the barrel shortened and ship it to me if I needed it. Well after walking around in the jungle for 7 months I saw 5 malfunctions of the M16A1. So I never got the Browning and I am very glad I didn't have to carry an M14.
<a href="http://s203.photobucket.com/user/72coupe/media/V44.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/72coupe/V44.jpg</a>

I remember doing a report in high school on the A1 for history class, and during my research, I read that a lot of the malfunctions and stoppages were a result of shitty dirty powder being used clogging up the internals. Was this a thing?

The 5 malfunctions were: 2 rilfes fired with water in the barrel which split the upper, 2 were magazine problems, 1 was an XM177E1 that pulled the head off a case.

I carried 1 magazine in the rifle and 28 magazines in bandoliers. Can you imagine carrying 29 M14 magazines?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The biggest downfall [outside of the fact that F/A is pretty much useless] of the M14 is it's ability to mount optics. Of course everyone conveniently forgets that it wasn't that long ago that AR/M16s all had carry handles molded into the upper and that scopes tended to be somewhat of a clusterfvck due to their height. And it took how many years after the AR/M16 type rifle/carbine was invented before the flat top came to be in regular use? Mil rifle/carbine optics as standard issue is a reasonably new development.

View Quote

That's kind of irrelevant.  The fact remains that the M14 is not suited to modern combat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#12]
m16 needed fixing and updating after it was introduced. M14 is great rifle but the m16 is better. I have shot more rounds out of my m1a than m16 in the service more likely 5 times the round count. assuming all members of the service shoots same amount of rounds as I did, I have put the round count of  20 service years of service m1a, granted the handling of the m1a is less.. M14 is not trash can rifle but compared to m16 it is out dated the military should have welcomed it when it came. M14 is legendary rile despite the critics.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.

The "Cult of .30" has hindered our small arms development pretty much since the smokeless power era began.  The .30-06, .30 Carbine, .7.62X51... all would have been better rifle cartridges with 6-6.5mm bullets.  As an added bonus, something like a .260 Remington might have been considered too small for a GPMG (whereas the .308 was incorrectly considered to be "just enough".  Then we might have ended up with GPMGs chambered in something like a hot .338-.375 round, which would be awesome.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I had one about 25 years ago. Traded it for a SAR-48 which I still have.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep.

The "Cult of .30" has hindered our small arms development pretty much since the smokeless power era began.  The .30-06, .30 Carbine, .7.62X51... all would have been better rifle cartridges with 6-6.5mm bullets.  As an added bonus, something like a .260 Remington might have been considered too small for a GPMG (whereas the .308 was incorrectly considered to be "just enough".  Then we might have ended up with GPMGs chambered in something like a hot .338-.375 round, which would be awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Are you remembering that some poor grunt has to carry that ammo in Light Infantry units?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Are you remembering that some poor grunt has to carry that ammo in Light Infantry units?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

7.35x51 carcano FTW

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#17]
“When I first got to Vietnam, I was scared to death of the M16. I feared a jamming M16 would get me killed,  poison snakes, spiders and a jammed M16 was such a worry to me I opted to carry an M60 on my first LRRP patrol.  Later I learned to love it.   I hated the M14, it proved not as reliable and was heavier and I could not carry near enough of its ammo.  When it comes to combat I would walk over 100 of the best M14s ever made for one good M16.”
View Quote

Great article.  Mimics exactly my experience, and that of many senior SF NCO's from various SOTIC Committees that I know.

Here's a thread I started in 2013 about it.  Some Pics of M14's in use you Probably Haven't Seen

LRRPF52: I thought I would be a big M14 guy, and I was when I was younger, but after working with them for several years, I got turned off on the system, to be totally honest.

Logistics, logistics, logistics.

That was all we had for a 7.62 NATO semi-auto in the units I was in though, so we used what we had.

If I could go back in time, I would have eliminated the T44 program in the 1950's, and gotten Armalite involved in the Infantry Service Rifle earlier with their AR10.

I also would have had Armalite build a smaller AR10-based frame around a different cartridge using a .444" case head, pushing a 6.5mm projectile, close to what the British were doing with the 270 and 280 Enfields.

The M14 was really obsolete before it hit the street in terms of infantry rifle development.
View Quote

As a service rifle, the M14 is an abortion of epic proportions.  Best rifle World War I never had.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Enjoy your itty bitty bullets and hope they yaw and fragment properly...the men will carry the real rifles.
View Quote

Hahhahah lulz
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

IIRC pressure went from like 40k to 70k with the new powder, and with it cyclic rates went up.

The Black Rifle is a great read, but there is a LOT of detail about powders and eventually it hurts my brain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get the book. "The Black Rifle". It is a great read.  The military switched from stick powder to ball powder,  pressures changed, much more dirty.  Cheaper, I am sure someone also had a financial interest in there also.

Chrome lining of the chamber and bore really helped with reducing problems.

A rifle designed around a 40K PSI cartridge would blow up in short order if pressure were increased to 70K PSI.  If memory serves, the pressure for 5.56 is about 60K PSI and always has been.  That said, changing the pressure curve will change the port pressure and that can dramatically affect the cycling performance.

As for the M14, I used to own a Springfield Armory M1A loaded.  It was a great rifle, with a good trigger, great iron sights, and excellent accuracy.  I shot it at several informal High Power matches and received complaints from shooters next to me about how the muzzle blast was rattling them.  D'awww, poor widdle intermediate cartwidge shooters!  That said, position shooting never really felt natural with the M1A, which I attributed partly to the stock design and partly to the medium-contour barrel, which made it quite front-heavy.  When I added a scope mount, optic, and cheek riser, the ergos tipped over into downright awkward and unpleasant to handle.  

Around that time I bought a FAL.  Although it had less mechanical accuracy than the M1A, practical accuracy in my hands was greater due to the better fit and handling characteristics.  It also proved possible to scope the FAL without affecting its handling characteristics beyond increased weight.  Add to that the improved ease of disassembly and cleaning and amenability to tinkering, and the choice was clear.  I sold the M1A and went all FAL.  Sure, FALs are 2 MOA rifles at best, but the difference is nearly completely nullified by user-induced inaccuracy when shooting any way except off a bench.  In case you're wondering, I didn't go with an AR-10 style rifle because they're enormous chunky hogs and have inferior ergonomics to FALs.

The article linked should be considered an editorial.  Although the information on M14 manufacturing quality (or lack thereof) is interesting, it exhibits clear bias and attempts to persuade.  The M14 hate is kind of puzzling, though.  M14s are far from the best rifle ever made, but they aren't horrible.  It'd be nice to believe that the M14 hate is something other than AR fanboys reacting with reflexive anger to the suggestion that anything other than an AR in 5.56 is even an option, but evidence suggests otherwise.  ("There will be no improvement justifying replacing the M4 as a military weapon until we're using laser weapons."  Seriously?)
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It still has a valid place in the inventory. We were issued two per EOD team in Iraq  for use in SMUD (Stand-off MUnitions Disruption). Worked great for disrupting mines and cluster-munitions.

We also used them extensively on the ICM ranges at 29 Palms and the Chocolate Mountains.  
View Quote

If that configuration M-14 had been used in Viet Nam this would be a wholey different discussion.  I like my NM, but the synthetic stock on the SMUD, with its integral pistol grip would have been much more accepted than the heavy wood stock version fielded.

If I could find one of those stocks I'd start hunting for a second M-1A for my collection.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the M14 is like the 1911 its nice and does a decent job, but has been surpassed over the years... to continue to shoe horn it into modern day .Mil operations only indicates that we are consistently not ready for a conflict and are always pulling something old out of inventory... and then sticking a bunch of money into it to get it to do what we want, vs. spend the time to get the right toll in the first place.

Are there guys in the GWOT who think it's all that?? Probably, but then again, there are a lot of Joes who are far from SME's. Its always cool to get issued
something different then everybody else, and get a cool title like SDM.. And call your self a sniper, cause you get to make some longer range shots then the buddies in your squad. and get to go to the range more often.

The guys who's Opinions I heed who I know have the correct experience and the are SME's in there field, tell me that it needs to go...

Will I still shoot mine in Service rifle competition?? Sure I will, cause its fun and brings me enjoyment.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I always figured that:
1- distance, .308 would work better over open water and those distance (but manning the .50's makes more sense in that scenario)...
2- surplus, they had a ton of them and nothing for them to do. So why not give them to sailors that won't really shoot them anyway?
3- they are used to launch lines for unreps

That's all I can figure and really only points 2 and 3...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Want one since I used one in the Navy.

You're damn right!

After countless hours of standing watch with said rifle strapped to my back I can think of no other rifle worthy of that use.

Sadly, I no longer stand watch through all hours of the night. I do however often see used M1A1's and SOCOM's up for sale at the LGS as used...

Still too far out of my price range

Is there a reason the navy continued to use the m14? Seems like they could get M-16 of about an flavor for next to nothing

I always figured that:
1- distance, .308 would work better over open water and those distance (but manning the .50's makes more sense in that scenario)...
2- surplus, they had a ton of them and nothing for them to do. So why not give them to sailors that won't really shoot them anyway?
3- they are used to launch lines for unreps

That's all I can figure and really only points 2 and 3...

Mechanical reliability in arctic conditions.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Very interesting.  Thank you for posting it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't have one, but would like to.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Would never claim to have served or be a combat vet but objectively I can see how it is no longer a viable front line combat weapon.

But I enjoy my M1A and would feel just as warm at night if it's all I had during a realistic SHTF situation ( Katrina.)

RC
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I still love my m1a's.  I've spoken to plenty of people who carried them in combat that chose the m14 over the ar.  While I'm sure a bunch of this article is true, I think it may be over hyped.  I still consider them to be a fine gun and accurate enough.  I also love FAL's.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow that guy really really hates the M14... like it molested him as a child or something....

Makes it sound like a Jennings-manufactured Chauchat clone or something...

I have an M1A National match, I really enjoy it. The Ca-legal brake reduces recoil much more than the flash hider (fired one of those in Florida)

That said, when I move out of here I'll get out of the M1A game and get a flat-top AR in .308 with an ACOG and call it a day.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The advantage of iron sights, oddly enough, is that it seems the rifleman doesn't tend to hesitate as much trying to get the perfect sight picture which is more clear to him with optics.

In other words, iron sights don't show aiming errors as badly at typical combat ranges.

That's what I've read and heard, anyway.  I like the idea of an ACOG, but iron sights do have some advantages, and the iron sights on the M14 are second to none.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:That being said, unless you're getting one for shooting with iron sights, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's a poor choice today. There's a reason marksmen got the M14 and snipers got the M24, M110, or M2010.

Iron sights are fun and the M1A has very good ones with a nice long sight radius. If I can see it with my naked eyes I can hit it with these sights.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/AR-15_Paul/Rifles/P6051553.jpg

The advantage of iron sights, oddly enough, is that it seems the rifleman doesn't tend to hesitate as much trying to get the perfect sight picture which is more clear to him with optics.

In other words, iron sights don't show aiming errors as badly at typical combat ranges.

That's what I've read and heard, anyway.  I like the idea of an ACOG, but iron sights do have some advantages, and the iron sights on the M14 are second to none.
Sounds like a training issue to me.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have one.  Still dont like it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whatever, I still want one.

I have one.  Still dont like it.

I will gladly dispose of that shitty rifle for you...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
7.35x51 carcano FTW  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

7.35x51 carcano FTW  

280 British. We were so very, very close.

The M14 and the AR15's biggest hindrance are shit calibers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Nutnfancy: "One of the BEST battlefield rifles produced"

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
I don't see it as bashing.  

The rifle was invented, by a hidebound military, to fight WWII all over again.

Throughout the years, even though we know it's an obsolete platform, the military has been throwing money at it to try and make it work.

It's a lousy design by today's standards, and needs to go away, like the G3 and FAL already have.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/72coupe/V44.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#34]

The H&R barrel also failed the surface-finish requirements. During
accuracy testing, the M14 rifles produced greater group dispersion and
variation in the center of impact than the control rifles (two T35 and
two AR10).
View Quote

What's the T35?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
M110 is the best answer to a .308 DMR weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except when you are shooting bombs from 300+ meters. The 5.56 just doesn't have enough ass to high order detonate them.

You know the AR platform comes in .308 these days, right?  

Sorry guys, but I hate .308 as a Infantry cartridge. It weights twice as much as 5.56, has more recoil, AND current variations of 5.56 actually out shoot .308 at what used to be distances only .308 and up could shoot.

If I was king for a day, we'd ditch .308 and we'd be using 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Remington for machine guns, DMRs and light bolt guns.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/2jJsYV1nGag
View Quote

Nutnfancy wouldnt know anything about a battlefield.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sorry guys, but I hate .308 as a Infantry cartridge. It weights twice as much as 5.56, has more recoil, AND current variations of 5.56 actually out shoot .308 at what used to be distances only .308 and up could shoot.

If I was king for a day, we'd ditch .308 and we'd be using 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Remington for machine guns, DMRs and light bolt guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except when you are shooting bombs from 300+ meters. The 5.56 just doesn't have enough ass to high order detonate them.

Valid points here
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/72coupe/V44.jpg
View Quote

Cool.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A few weeks ago I ran into a "retired infantry officer" who said the 7.62 NATO was the perfect infantry cartridge and they should go back to it for general issue.  When I disagreed he tried to pull the "well you're AF" line.    I laughed at him and told him he was still wrong.

He was mid 40s to give you a reference for when he served.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What's the T35?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The H&R barrel also failed the surface-finish requirements. During accuracy testing, the M14 rifles produced greater group dispersion and variation in the center of impact than the control rifles (two T35 and two AR10).

What's the T35?
M1 garand with an M1941 Johnson type magazine

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Makes me wonder if the Italians dug out BM59s from their armories and refitted them for A-stan
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well 13'er, please regale us with tales of that dickbag's combat prowess.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#44]
GD cracks me up sometimes.   This site should be called m4's and glocks, because that's all you're supposed to like shooting.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I met Lt Col. Chandler when he had his shop off Piney Green Rd.  He ran (or owned?) BCM when Freedom Group was expanding the AR line.

He has a really bad reputation around there.  The sniper community doesn't think much of him, or his DARPA funded XM3 rifle.

I don't have anything against the man, but his opinion of the M14 doesn't jive with anyone I've met in person that's actually been issued one.  The only critics I've heard have been on the errornet.
View Quote

Dad (Army Pre Vietnam era vet 3 tours) much prefers the Garand, but the M14 is his second choice. He considers the M16 slightly better than a pointed stick. He says he usually tried to get a M60 instead and usually had no problems as most guys didn't care for "humping a pig". I know the M60 wasn't his first choice either but they took away his 1919A6.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Makes me wonder if the Italians dug out BM59s from their armories and refitted them for A-stan
View Quote
No they were pretty much gone already..

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

GD cracks me up sometimes.   This site should be called m4's and glocks, because that's all you're supposed to like shooting.

View Quote

The argument isn't about not liking the M14, it's about not having the M14 as a weapon our soldiers and marines carry into battle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The argument isn't about not liking the M14, it's about not having the M14 as a weapon our soldiers and marines carry into battle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subtext

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Is there a reason the navy continued to use the m14? Seems like they could get M-16 of about an flavor for next to nothing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Want one since I used one in the Navy.

You're damn right!

After countless hours of standing watch with said rifle strapped to my back I can think of no other rifle worthy of that use.

Sadly, I no longer stand watch through all hours of the night. I do however often see used M1A1's and SOCOM's up for sale at the LGS as used...

Still too far out of my price range

M16s won't reliably detonate a antiship mine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
M16s won't reliably detonate a antiship mine.
View Quote

I doubt they could reliably throw a line either.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top