Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:06:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Article in HuffPo, the comments Writer added the quote To look at the ivory, is all the info the emotional masses needed to be glad the hunter died, and hate on anyone that defends the hunter. All with the knowledge, "The article says he was looking for the ivory"  What I don't think all those emotional twats are aware of is that the author probably put that in there as red meat for the vegans to chew on.  One commenter defended hunting and he now has about 200 people hoping he dies, and urging his employer to fire him. They are literally contacting his employer, via facebook to fire the man  This story is a case study in liberalism.

I personally would not want to kill an elephant but they are very plentiful on the southern end of Africa. The northern part of their range is where they are endangered. This hunt was in Zimbabwe, where elephants are plentiful.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe he's hunting heffalumps and woozles in the afterlife now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#3]
The comments on that story made my head hurt
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#4]
The doubts about shooting the elephant layed heavily on his heart.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jeez people, chill. I said karma as in "he was planning to kill THAT particular elephant and he got his ass whooped". Yeah, everyone with just a bit of common sense understands what population control means and how hunts like that one contribute (financially) to the well-being of the entire species. It was that easy to presume that I'm a hippie...
View Quote

Yugoslavia, hippy words, so um yeah
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:12:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Good
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#7]
It said he kept getting closer and closer to the elephant.   Play stupid games...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He died doing what he loved.

View Quote

Being trampled by pachyderms?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Karma sometimes bites back.
View Quote

, I had hoped that the '13er class would mature!!!

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Some of the comments by the "elephant lovers" sicken me. Such hypocrisy.

Hessian-1
View Quote

Thats what I was noticing,  the huff poo readers go ape shit when a cop killer is on death row, but openly advocate killing hunters and cheer at their deaths.  Thats the ironic thing, unfortunatly very typical of the lefties.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Its called "dangerous game" for a reason. Nice to see the definition substantiated again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Game over.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/04/17/hunter-ian-gibson-trampled-death-elephant-tracking-kill_n_7085374.html

And while on that topic, what round for an elephant? .950 Nitro Express?
View Quote

.303BR
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Lol karma, like the hunter is inherently bad.

Nature is dangerous, karma has nothing to do with it; unless you're all about the feels
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/04/17/hunter-ian-gibson-trampled-death-elephant-tracking-kill_n_7085374.html

Lol karma, like the hunter is inherently bad.

Nature is dangerous, karma has nothing to do with it; unless you're all about the feels

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Karma? Yeah sure.. what's karma doing to you for those hundred of thousand bugs you've killed driving down the highway at night? edit: OK your off the hook hippie.

If not for hunters ironically there probably wouldn't have the population of elephants we have now.  Conservation relies on hunter's money heavily.  

article with numbers and shit
View Quote
I know right?! I mean, if they would let us kill a cancer patient every now and then by issuing a $1M trophy fee, we'd have that shit cured in no time.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Jeez people, chill. I said karma as in "he was planning to kill THAT particular elephant and he got his ass whooped". Yeah, everyone with just a bit of common sense understands what population control means and how hunts like that one contribute (financially) to the well-being of the entire species. It was that easy to presume that I'm a hippie...
View Quote

I think that would be irony instead of karma.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#17]
thats why its called dangerous game hunting,its not karma
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Death in the long grass.

A very polarizing subject, Elephant hunting and Im sure ARFCOM will deliver on both counts.

The PH was a well respected man and it just goes to show, that when its your time, its your time. Of course flirting with the odds does affect the averages.

Horrible way to go in some peoples minds but as a PH, he might have just gone out like he wanted, if it was to come down to this type of scenario.

Far worse things than to buy it doing something you love dearly.
View Quote

Yep I'm sure he loved getting bulldozed by a giant elephant.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's 5-7 tons, actually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Tragically killed?"  

WTF is that nonesence.  Tragic is a 2 year old drowning, or a group from prom getting wiped out by a  drunk driver.

This falls into the Darwin category.  Go pissing off a 2 ton animal, things happen.  I mean, yeah, it's his job or whatever, but there are certain inherent risks in that profession.

That's 5-7 tons, actually.

Cheerfully updated!  Thanks for the correction.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Death in the long grass.

A very polarizing subject, Elephant hunting and Im sure ARFCOM will deliver on both counts.

The PH was a well respected man and it just goes to show, that when its your time, its your time. Of course flirting with the odds does affect the averages.

Horrible way to go in some peoples minds but as a PH, he might have just gone out like he wanted, if it was to come down to this type of scenario.

And I'll bet he would have stayed the fuck home if he could have peered into the future and seen how this was going to pan out. This guy didn't have "courage", he simply thought this wouldn't happen.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#23]
As with most things, I imagine it was a series of poor decisions that put him in that spot.

These guys track elephants and other animals for a living, and they surely see signs and situations that normally cause them to back off.  I'm wondering if the AAR will be able to identify any of these decision junctions.

If you are within 50-100m of an elephant, there's not much margin for error.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No so much. In certain areas of Africa they are over populated and cause a lot of problems for farmers and villages.
It's legal to hunt them in some of the countries in Africa and are managed a lot like our deer, elk, goat... etc herds here in the US.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought elephants are endangered??

No so much. In certain areas of Africa they are over populated and cause a lot of problems for farmers and villages.
It's legal to hunt them in some of the countries in Africa and are managed a lot like our deer, elk, goat... etc herds here in the US.

Yeah, only dear, elk, and goat dont tend to have near sentient Intelligence, self recognition, communication. I'm not a tree hugger, I'm fine with killing some animals, but I truly believe dolphins, whales, elephants, and some primates have intelligence we dont understand yet, and killing them without that understanding is irresponsible.

I know the whole population control argument is valid, they are destroying our towns and farms, but whenever I hear of animals being "culled" to keep human land in good shape, I'm always reminded of a Sci fi novel I read where aliens show up and just start killing humans by the millions, no warning, no communication, no demands. When we finally are able to communicate with them, they're shocked that we can communicate. They were merely clearing this to make way for their people and merely saw us as bug or trees or whatever, just needing to be killed to make way for their plans. It's all about perspective.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#25]
RIP. Better to die like this, a man engaged in a struggle, than simply wither away after a life of tepid mediocrity.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#26]
RIP

He probably "lived" more than most people twice his age.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Every time I see a thread like this posted, it makes me wish Walt Disney would've died at birth.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Shit happens.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Just heartbreaking. Prayers and condolences to his family, friends, and Chifuti Safaris.

I first heard about this first over at africanhunting. It just illustrates the pressures these PHs are under. If he shoots the damn thing he'd be under immediate suspicion and presumed guilty of an unjustified shooting. And of course after 5 hrs of tracking the last thing he wanted to do was kill what was likely a trophy bull for his client.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

And I'll bet he would have stayed the fuck home if he could have peered into the future and seen how this was going to pan out. This guy didn't have "courage", he simply thought this wouldn't happen.
View Quote

Doubt it.

Some men have a burning desire to live their life on the edge and push things to the limit.

That dude probably got more out of life in 10 minutes than most basement dwellers get in 60 years.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks like arfcom is trying to give Huffpo a run for their money in the stupid comment category.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Things didn't exactly go as planned.

</img />

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Karma?
In answer to your question, Karamojo Bell apparently preferred the 7X57, and used it to kill around 800 elephants. HE died of old age, so I guess HIS karma didn't catch up to him.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Karma?
In answer to your question, Karamojo Bell apparently preferred the 7X57, and used it to kill around 800 elephants. HE died of old age, so I guess HIS karma didn't catch up to him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Karma?

I read once that Bell used a .318 boltgun to sit and shoot big storks ( or some large bird by the water) because some of that lot of ammo was faulty.
he didn't miss flying birds very often with a .30-06 class rifle.

he didn't depend on karma for one second; that man could handle a boomstick like few others in history.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Karma?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Karma?

Unless he came back as an elephant

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff258/rednex73/1426733111199_zpsnnsb50vz.gif</img />

View Quote

Nope, nope, fucking nope.

I'd crap my fucking pants.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#37]
So I guess he's seen the elephant.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Death in the long grass.

View Quote

Nah. Just a horrible way to go. I mean it's a romantic thought, but getting squashed into strawberry jam by an enraged animal is pretty horrifying.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"See Stan, you get me"
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff258/rednex73/1426733111199_zpsnnsb50vz.gif</img />

View Quote

Pure awesome.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

that's not really what that old saying was meant to convey.
a little too literal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That's the game he played, and hi lost this time. I think is fair, is a fair game, isn't it?
View Quote

As an old Marine buddy of mine used to say, "The Lord giveth, and The Lord taketh away...if that ain't a square deal I'll kiss your ass".
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Can the Ivory from an elephant hunt be kept and brought back to the US?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#45]
dupe on the same page

Dupe an err'thang
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
dupe on the same page

Dupe an err'thang
View Quote

Yes..the othe thread is a dupe
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
dupe on the same page

Dupe an err'thang

So no gold star then?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#48]
RIP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
elephants kill people a lot in Africa. Its part of the risk .

That's why it's called dangerous game hunting.

He was not hunting fluffy bunnies

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/jimanders1967/Shooting/Funny/rabbit_zpsu2hezvi5.jpg

Night.of.the.Lupus!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

So no gold star then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
dupe on the same page

Dupe an err'thang

So no gold star then?

But it's more bigger
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top