Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They tell you the specific reason you weren't hired nowadays?
View Quote

I always provide feedback to the recruiter how to refine the candidate pool to improve the placement rate. I doubt a company recruiter would have provided that explicit feedback to a candidate (risk management, y'know), but I've had headhunting recruiters share more with the candidates - at least until I found out about it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

She's wearing formal attire compared to what most programmers usually wear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

To be fair, I don't see anything wrong with what she's wearing.

She's wearing formal attire compared to what most programmers usually wear.
But it sounds like she's not a programmer yet.

And she does look pretty casually dressed for an interview.  Regardless of position, I'm always in a suit for interviews.  Doesn't matter how everyone else dresses who already has that position--I don't, and I want in.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

She's cute though.  I'd offer her a position on my staff.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not normally.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm.

I'm guessing that shiny attitude came through during the interview loud and clear.

It's pretty common to have your developers/programmers look like a bunch of rejects from wardrobe testing.  It's the skills that matter, not the hairstyle and the cut of clothing.

Of course, maybe this is that rare company that believes its developers should look like they are reporting to work at IBM in 1980.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#8]
1) As others have said, I find it extremely difficult to believe that they actually told her they weren't hiring her due to how she was dressed.

2) Bitch isn't even deployment pretty.

3) I'll take 'borderline personality disorder' for 200, Alex.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]
In her rant, she mentioned something about "changing the world." Anyone who says that during an interview for an entry-level job would not get hired by me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

But it sounds like she's not a programmer yet.

And she does look pretty casually dressed for an interview.  Regardless of position, I'm always in a suit for interviews.  Doesn't matter how everyone else dresses who already has that position--I don't, and I want in.

View Quote

Showing up for a Phoenix FD interview with a suit on will get you disqualified.

Instructions say to dress 'business casual'. It's part of the test.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That purse doesnt go with that outfit
View Quote

Right; black purse and she'd be cashing checks and cracking' necks. The fashion police caught up to her.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
She looks trashy.
I would not hire her either.
View Quote

Yep who gives a fuck what the dress code at work is, show up for the interview with your fucking A-game attitude aND appearance.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Too fat.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Honestly, if that is what she was wearing - and her story is accurate - then she SHOULD be angry.

My guess is that there's more to the story - probably her behavior during the interview, and not what she was wearing.
View Quote

Sometimes they are looking for a reason to fire or not hire you...she might have helped them out. Or just made the mistake of applying for job with a company that believes in staffers dressing in business attire and actually mean it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Is that the chick from the Adams Family?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Her facebook is currently down. I wonder if she got plastered by people commenting on her pages.

A lot of other sites have her news article with just a search of her name. Damage is done as we all know most employers now will google a name and see the results.

When will people learn the net is forever.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Too fat.
View Quote

Fat girls go the extra mile
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"I'm going to change the world"

LOL
View Quote

Maybe after she changes her outfit and style.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a feeling based on her "rant" that it wasn't the outfit that cost her the job.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Honestly, if that is what she was wearing - and her story is accurate - then she SHOULD be angry.

My guess is that there's more to the story
View Quote

this, from both sides.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#21]
So much for "Dress to Impress"

LOL
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#22]

They do not owe you a job for any reason you self-absorbed, fat, unattractive cunt, stop your whining and go find yourself a job somewhere else.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Gross

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

After you get your foot in the door, yes, but show up with cleavage for the interview, and all the manager can think about is which of their hotshot programmers you're going to file a sexual harassment lawsuit against.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't hire an adult dressed like that either.

To be fair, isn't programming one of those jobs where you can be weird as fuck and that's fine because you're judged based on what you do, not what you look like?

After you get your foot in the door, yes, but show up with cleavage for the interview, and all the manager can think about is which of their hotshot programmers you're going to file a sexual harassment lawsuit against.

Kharn

I have to assume that the majority of applicants are able to display similar abilities, and have proven it - on paper at least.  Once invited to come in for an interview, it's all about "Will he/she be a good fit for the company?"  Given two applicants with identical resumes and acceptable personalities, if one was wearing a nice shirt, slacks, and jacket, and the other dressed like this woman is, I'd hire the one wearing slacks and a jacket.  This tells me that the HR person had other candidates who were more professional, both in appearance and demeanor.  I see nothing wrong with hiring based on looks and personality, as long as the candidate is qualified.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too fat.

Rule #6; never sleep with anything you can't bench press.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#26]
The outfit might be a little casual for a job interview, but I don't see anything that would make my Spidey senses tingle.

I also doubt very much that the company would tell her why exactly she wasn't selected.  That part of her story seems "off".  If the company did actually tell that to the recruiter, that seems like a throwaway excuse.

That said, Oberlin College - and the town of Oberlin in general - is full of special, unique snowflakes and if that attitude came through in the interview I could see the company looking elsewhere for a better workplace fit.

In any case, posting her little rant on social media while seeking a job is just stupid.  Good luck now, honey.

Quoted:
An Oberlin College student is a fucking nutbag?

You don't say............
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Boy, every job interview I've ever been on, they say, "Thank you very much, we'll be in touch."

Odd that they would go into details in this situation.
View Quote

Wouldnt be the first time some nut job made up a reason as to why they didnt get the job.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Did they give her a participation trophy ?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too fat.

Maybe on a scooter or a moped.

But they sure as shit aint walking.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Made up. Never happened.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have to assume that the majority of applicants are able to display similar abilities, and have proven it - on paper at least.  Once invited to come in for an interview, it's all about "Will he/she be a good fit for the company?"  Given two applicants with identical resumes and acceptable personalities, if one was wearing a nice shirt, slacks, and jacket, and the other dressed like this woman is, I'd hire the one wearing slacks and a jacket.  This tells me that the HR person had other candidates who were more professional, both in appearance and demeanor.  I see nothing wrong with hiring based on looks and personality, as long as the candidate is qualified.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't hire an adult dressed like that either.

To be fair, isn't programming one of those jobs where you can be weird as fuck and that's fine because you're judged based on what you do, not what you look like?

Kharn

What a foolish response.

Why wouldn't you hire both? You need someone who can do X and you're presented with 2X. If your company cannot find a use for the extra resources, your company isn't growing at the rate that a fresh programmer is going to want to be a part of anyway.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
WTF is a "skater skirt?"
View Quote

It's a short, knee length circle skirt. Looks like what figure skaters used to wear, thus the name. Look good with patterned tights and a pair of Doc Martens.

Don't ask how I know these things....
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I always provide feedback to the recruiter how to refine the candidate pool to improve the placement rate. I doubt a company recruiter would have provided that explicit feedback to a candidate (risk management, y'know), but I've had headhunting recruiters share more with the candidates - at least until I found out about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Proper attire should have been recommended by the recruiter without the need for your feedback.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Who in their right name would hire a woman with the last name of "Bentvagina" ?

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I like her outfit.

I don't like her.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's how we did it.   Interview by two peers and the hiring supervisor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe programmers should be interviewing programmers

That's how we did it.   Interview by two peers and the hiring supervisor.

That's how we do it here too.  The only time a non-programmer gets involved is when the owner talks to them to make sure they are not a fucking loon.  He talks to every new hire however.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Look good with patterned tights and a pair of Doc Martens.

View Quote

It does... on the right person.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My guess is that there's more to the story - probably her behavior during the interview, and not what she was wearing.
View Quote

does not look like "club" attire to me, did the employer want a Hillary pantsuit? ETA if the work environment has men in jeans she is dressed 100% fine for an interview IMO.  Hopefully her account is true, and yes, men get judged at job interviews based on clothing too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
lol Oberlin.  Again.
View Quote

This.  

The same school that had kids leave classes to protest in Cleveland by stopping traffic on the freeways then cry because they didn't get a chance to get credit for the classes they missed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Someone in their HR dept deserves a bonus.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That purse doesnt go with that outfit
View Quote

I noticed that too.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Very well thought out and articulated, thanks for sharing with the class
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will take her comments at face value.  I don't see a problem with her attire.  She looks like all the geeky female computer nerds on those highly-realistic cop shows who look like they just came from the used clothing shop.  But that is presented as the cultural standard.

How is her dress not in line with programming?  I don't know anything about the biz, but is anything more than bizcaz necessary?

We do objectify women.  We do like sexy.  But we also draw some very arbitrary lines not to be crossed.  These lines are often indecipherable.

I don't see her rant as particularly feminist.  If I were her, I'd be pissed, too.

Very well thought out and articulated, thanks for sharing with the class

I'm sorry.  Did I use too many "big words?"  

I have grown children and 3.9 grandchildren.  I would like to think that by the time my granddaughters enter the workforce, we will be past the era where women are held to a different standard than men when it comes to dressing for employment.  A guy could show up with a mis-matched tie, a shirt that's never seen an iron, khaki pants from 15 years ago and unshined shoes and nothing would be thought of it in this situation.

Double standards are a reality.  Let the marketplace determine their compensation by all means.  But let good sense have a part in the hiring process.

Is there more to the story?  I bet there is.  But the discussion is based only on her account and her picture.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Annnnd her story starts to change under scrutiny;
She told me that On Shift would love to hire me based on my technical skills and personality, but that they were not going to. These are the reasons she cited:
1) I “looked more like I was about to go clubbing than to an interview”
2) I “had a huge run in my tights”
3) I was late. I had told the hiring director beforehand that I would probably be a few minutes late, and then explained to get when I arrived that I had gotten mildly lost on my way).
View Quote

Never mind my being late to the interview, 'cause sexism, damnit!
Wonder how much more it'll change.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
"I'm going to change the world"

LOL
View Quote

"Because I'm a Millenial!"
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Self promoting retards will go far.  I feel sorry for the fool that puts his junk into her and gets hooked.  Poor bastard, doesn't know what he is in for.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
She's pretty full of herself, but I don't see any problem with what she's wearing.
Especially for a programming job.  

She's cute though.  I'd offer her a position on my staff.

View Quote

I see what you did there
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Oh look, a feminist is lying.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Feminist or not, who cares what shes wearing? She's qualified (according to her and thats all we have to go on), dressed like any other geek chick, and went for a programming job, so its not she's going to have a lot of customer contact.

Maybe I'm missing something.
View Quote

That she's a bitch?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Hmmm... I think this is just the evolution of the waitress who didn't get the tip cuz she's a lesbian.  Odd are the event never happened and this girl was hoping to go viral and prompt a flood of online donations.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top