Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
How can their be a firetruck on scene but semi-trucks with radios in them are still clueless enough to keep plowing into the stopped vehicles?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Elk Mountain?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone near Cheyenne now? I was going to try to go home tonight on I-25 between Douglas and Denver...Looks like most of the problems are west of Cheyenne?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How can their be a firetruck on scene but semi-trucks with radios in them are still clueless enough to keep plowing into the stopped vehicles?  
View Quote

Quite a few OTR truckers don't run with their radios on anymore (and/or barely speak english). Most of the time channel 19 is full of jack asses talking shit or playing music or other BS that it will make you want to turn it off. When I pulled reefers most of the guys in my company only used the CB if they had to talk to the distributors to get a dock assignment.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Anyone near Cheyenne now? I was going to try to go home tonight on I-25 between Douglas and Denver...Looks like most of the problems are west of Cheyenne?
View Quote

I left Cheyenne 2 hours ago (They were getting a mix of Rain/Snow).

I-25 North/South is open.
I-80 west of Cheyenne is closed.

Check here for updates: http://map.wyoroad.info/hi.html

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The guy in the video says there were fatalities, but according to the articles I have read it said folks were just injured. I was supposed to run a load out that direction on Wednesday, but the road was closed due to Winter conditions so I went somewhere else. They opened the interstate Thursday mid morning, but it closed again around noon a couple hours later, and has stayed closed since because of this.

http://youtu.be/h9_iv_AtFJg

New vid of it happening
http://youtu.be/i975P28WMNM
View Quote

And we thought Texans were shitty drivers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

There was a wreck south of Cheyenne around 3 but it looks like it's back open now... I just checked the website
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Elk Mountain?
View Quote

Other side of Laramie. West of Cheyenne.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There was a wreck south of Cheyenne around 3 but it looks like it's back open now... I just checked the website
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks guys. I might just wait until the early morning, no sense fighting the weather and traffic.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I figured I was going to get piled on for that comment. Here's the story. I got laid off (furloughed) from my job at Union Pacific RR in Tucson AZ in November 08 when the economy went to shit. Fast forward to 2010 when UP offered their laid off employees a transfer to various locations plus a $10,000.00 transfer bonus. I thought I would never go back to work in Tucson so I accepted the transfer to Rawlins WY. I lived in Arizona almost my whole life so moving here was a huge shock for me. I am trying my best to adapt to life here but it hasn't been easy. There a some things I like about Wyoming but I really am having a hard time adjusting to the climate here. That's my biggest complaint. Eight months of winter gets old after a while.

More info on the pile up: http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2015/04/17/news/01top_04-17-15.txt#.VTGjffnF8tE
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I figured I was going to get piled on for that comment. Here's the story. I got laid off (furloughed) from my job at Union Pacific RR in Tucson AZ in November 08 when the economy went to shit. Fast forward to 2010 when UP offered their laid off employees a transfer to various locations plus a $10,000.00 transfer bonus. I thought I would never go back to work in Tucson so I accepted the transfer to Rawlins WY. I lived in Arizona almost my whole life so moving here was a huge shock for me. I am trying my best to adapt to life here but it hasn't been easy. There a some things I like about Wyoming but I really am having a hard time adjusting to the climate here. That's my biggest complaint. Eight months of winter gets old after a while.

More info on the pile up: http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2015/04/17/news/01top_04-17-15.txt#.VTGjffnF8tE
View Quote

There's your problem LOL

But Rawlins is desert like, so just think of it as a colder Arizona
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Another closing that may be a day or so. This time west of Laramie. Not sure how this one happened, this area is pretty flat and you can see for miles in front of you.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The guy in the video says there were fatalities, but according to the articles I have read it said folks were just injured. I was supposed to run a load out that direction on Wednesday, but the road was closed due to Winter conditions so I went somewhere else. They opened the interstate Thursday mid morning, but it closed again around noon a couple hours later, and has stayed closed since because of this.

New vid of it happening
View Quote

Phenomenal stupidity on the part of those truckers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New vid of it happening

Yep, found another "As it Happened" video on Liveleak/Youtube shot from a different vantage point. Pretty much starts at the small accident of a couple trucks tangled up, then shows the rest of them piling in. The sound of those trucks smashing into each other must have been disturbing at the actual crash site.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#15]
That stretch of road gets unforgiving in a hurry. I've been caught in a white-out on I-80 going back towards SLC, the highway patrol was waving people off the freeway.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June
In a Kenworth pullin' logs
Cab-over Pete with a reefer on
And a Jimmy haulin' hogs
We is headin' for bear on I-one-oh
'Bout a mile outta Shaky Town
I says, "Pig Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck.
"And I'm about to put the hammer down."

[Chorus]
Cause we got a little convoy
Rockin' through the night.
Yeah, we got a little convoy,
Ain't she a beautiful sight?
Come on and join our convoy
Ain't nothin' gonna get in our way.
We gonna roll this truckin' convoy
'Cross the U-S-A.
Convoy!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep, found another "As it Happened" video on Liveleak shot from a diffent vantage point. Pretty much starts at the small accident of a couple trucks tangled up, then shows the rest of them piling in. The sound of those trucks smashing into each other must have been disturbing at the actual crash site.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=14a_1429378266
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

New vid of it happening

Yep, found another "As it Happened" video on Liveleak shot from a diffent vantage point. Pretty much starts at the small accident of a couple trucks tangled up, then shows the rest of them piling in. The sound of those trucks smashing into each other must have been disturbing at the actual crash site.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=14a_1429378266

Dumbass steering-wheel holders driving too fast & too close together. I'll bet that none of the truckers involved thought something like this would ever happen to them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That stretch of road gets unforgiving in a hurry. I've been caught in a white-out on I-80 going back towards SLC, the highway patrol was waving people off the freeway.
View Quote

Yeah, I have been out there coming back to Cheyenne between Cooper Cove and Quealy Dome, and it was snowing very hard and the wind was blowing about 45mph directly out of the West and blowing the snow in the direction of travel. I knew nobody was in front of me and behind me for miles because I hadn’t seen taillights or headlights in my mirrors since I came out of Rawlins. I had to drop down to about 10mph, and get on the rumble strips to figure out where the road was. I didn't want to get rear-ended so I kept moving forward slowly, was pretty fucked up having to go from left rumble strip to the right side rumble strip and not being able to see past the hood. After a mile or so it cleared up somewhat but there was a wreak on the Eastbound side. Sherman pass was fucked up, but only a light snow at the moment, with five spun out trucks going up, luckily none were stuck in the same spot and I was able to wind my way up the mountain around the stalled trucks at a steady 15-20mph without having to stop or chain up. If I had had to stop, I would have had to chain up due to being empty. Once me and another doubles train got up the mountain, the WHP shut it down.

Gets nasty out there at times.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#19]
that stretch sucks
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Could have been avoided if drivers had enough brains to slow down in adverse conditions.

I can't count the number of time I've had trucks blow by me doing 80+MPH during blizzards or heavy fog when I barely felt comfortable doing 40 with my hazard lights blinking.

Stopping distance based on road conditions is something that must not ever be taught in driving schools anymore.

View Quote

Yup. I see a whole lot of "professional" drivers outdriving the conditions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep! Pretty damned sad. Been on that stretch a few times, sat at the Pilot in Laramie a few days thanks to Elk Mtn being closed. Few of us jumped on 30, hoping someone ahead wouldn't wreck. Lotsa Cascadias in that pileup.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#22]
"I'm the only one professional enough to drive this truck."
Used to be scary on I-79 N, headed towards Erie.
Pouring rain so hard I'd find a safe place to get off the road, could not see.
Trucks blasting by at 80 MPH.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yep! Pretty damned sad. Been on that stretch a few times, sat at the Pilot in Laramie a few days thanks to Elk Mtn being closed. Few of us jumped on 30, hoping someone ahead wouldn't wreck. Lotsa Cascadias in that pileup.
View Quote

Sometimes HWY-30 can be worse. Was keeping tabs on the weather heading back East, and got around Fort Steele and it said High winds and Black Ice up around Wagonhound, so made the call to jump on HWY-30 (i'm usually running empty coming back to Cheyenne from Wamsutter, so I'm really light on weight). The website said it was just light snow between Medicine Bow and Laramie. 30 was good to go until a few miles East of Medicine Bow, then that light snow turned into about 6" of powder all the way to the outskirts of Laramie. But the good thing was no wind, so driving on the powder was no big deal. But I have been between Rock River and Bosler during a heavy snow and high winds, and it sucked, but luckily it's not a high traffic route and you can safely go slow at your own speed without having a bunch of drivers crowding you. I did once come up on a rolled FedEx doubles set between Hanna and Medicine Bow, his tractor and lead were upright, but his pup rolled and was blocking the Westbound lane, and halfway through the Eastbound lane. Most of the drivers who take that route run a CB, and drive that way because of the dorks who are always crashing up on Elk Mountain.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I once drove for an Indiana State Trooper when I was running out there. One step ahead of shutting the doors, hauling brokered freight. Lois jumping up and down over $1.90/mile. And sitting for days just to bring back 45k lbs at .90/mile.
My worst accident? Showing up at the local Freightliner stealership to get my Century fixed. $9k for a $200 part.(V-pod/wiring harness).
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#25]
No one runs snow tires and/or chains...
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Chainup ends April 15th? I never had room for chains(42 inch bunk). I never had a problem getting around in snow, good tires all around. But I run 60-62 tops to get best MPGs(3.73 rear end, not the greatest for mileage).
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#27]
That is by far the scariest straight stretch of road I've ever driven.

I never understood why the drivers of cars/SUV's/pickups never pulled off the road as far as they can. I'd rather be 100yds out and stuck that pancaked between two semis
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Chainup ends April 15th? I never had room for chains(42 inch bunk). I never had a problem getting around in snow, good tires all around. But I run 60-62 tops to get best MPGs(3.73 rear end, not the greatest for mileage).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's close to being closed, the chain stations weren't closed when I drove past them on I-25 yesterday. I'd gues WY would be the same?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Most truckers now days are from Russia,mexico,and fresh out of jail.
View Quote

Lol no.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#31]
holy f*&k... for the one and only time this will ever happen - its 80 degrees and sunny here in Seattle, and snowing and miserable there.. wow..  usually its cold and miserable here and everyone else gets the snow and suck.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Another closing that may be a day or so. This time west of Laramie. Not sure how this one happened, this area is pretty flat and you can see for miles in front of you.

http://hanzerik.no-ip.org/pics/Wyoming/Herrick-Lane-I80.jpg
View Quote

Wasn't that right around Elk Mountain?  Or further east?

Elk Mountain can get really bad really fast.

Either way, I'm so glad I don't have to regularly drive that anymore.  I spent 4 of 6 six years commuting from SLC to Cheyenne for my one weekend a month, two weeks a year.  Put a lot of extra miles bypassing Laramie via the Worland cutoff to I-25 (when I could get that far).
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I read this one was fog and ice first truck jackknifed and the rest piled in. That's sure a ways off the road though I wonder how it all went down to be out off the roadway like that. Wydot said one fatality as well
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

last time I had to chain up was a couple years ago in May after a spring storm. And it was in the City limits of Cheyenne. Got stuck about a quarter mile away from the store heading to the refinery for another load. But was able to take the chains off once I was loaded and had some weight on my drives.

Some trucks have automatic chainers, but snow tires on a semi in the lower 48?...not.

In the Oilfield I was always chaining, but not because of snow or ice, but because of mud.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#35]
The best part of being an O/O instead of a company driver was the complete control I had over when my truck moved. I shut down if it got stupid out, no reason to risk me, my cat, my truck or my load over weather. The company I was leased to knew the only reason I carried chains was to be in compliance, in o years as a O/O, I never once trew them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Could have been avoided if drivers had enough brains to slow down in adverse conditions.

I can't count the number of time I've had trucks blow by me doing 80+MPH during blizzards or heavy fog when I barely felt comfortable doing 40 with my hazard lights blinking.

View Quote

And yet, if a storm delays a UPS package, a million people complain.  Can't please anyone.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I never understood why the drivers of cars/SUV's/pickups never pulled off the road as far as they can. I'd rather be 100yds out and stuck that pancaked between two semis
View Quote

What I don't understand, is how that pickup pulling that trailer made it all the way through. If you look at the two videos of it happening, the one from the rear of the accident you see him heading into it, and if you watch the video filmed from the front of the scene you see him coming out. The original wreck must not have blocked all the lanes for him to just drive out of that mess.

That van had the right idea, back up and get the f out of there. That dark suv was very lucky by not getting smashed just sitting there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

last time I had to chain up was a couple years ago in May after a spring storm. And it was in the City limits of Cheyenne. Got stuck about a quarter mile away from the store heading to the refinery for another load. But was able to take the chains off once I was loaded and had some weight on my drives.

Some trucks have automatic chainers, but snow tires on a semi in the lower 48?...not.

In the Oilfield I was always chaining, but not because of snow or ice, but because of mud.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snow tires for cars, sorry, being all inclusive

I like the auto chainers, reminds me of some kind of medieval weapon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And while high as a kite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stopping distance based on road conditions is something that must not ever be taught in driving schools anymore.

They are professional drivers, they drive for a living.

And while high as a kite.

lol, you are clueless.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.

I've thrown chains once. And that was to get to the nearest truck stop. Fuck that shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, those guys are real pros, alright...

Fucking idiots who give the 3% of us who aren't morons a bad name. If visibility/road conditions are bad enough to have to slow down that much, it's time to park it.

Pretty much this.

I've thrown chains once. And that was to get to the nearest truck stop. Fuck that shit.

Yep, my chains might as well have been welded to the racks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Lol no.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most truckers now days are from Russia,mexico,and fresh out of jail.

Lol no.

No, most are good folks who can't find a decent paying job in their local. Get sucked in by the slick ads tooting free driver training/lotsa $$$ and hometime. Most will be gone after a year, in which they've gotten divorced/lost cars and houses.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hardly ever had mine on, to many fucktards on it imagine a constant stream of LGS derp, neckbeard derp and GD derp pumped into your cab 24/7
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The best part of being an O/O instead of a company driver was the complete control I had over when my truck moved. I shut down if it got stupid out, no reason to risk me, my cat, my truck or my load over weather. The company I was leased to knew the only reason I carried chains was to be in compliance, in o years as a O/O, I never once trew them.
View Quote

As a company driver, and the nature of what I haul, our dispatch is lenient when we say it's too dangerous or unsafe to push forward. Me and another driver were heading over to Wamsutter a couple years ago, and we were about a mile apart between Cheyenne and Laramie. It was snowing pretty good with about 3" of snow on the road surface. He was running a single tanker, I was running doubles. As I came up to Bufford, which is about halfway between Cheyenne and Laramie, I see that he had turned around as I was thinking the same thing. So I pulled off at the next exit, and watched my pup almost take out the delineation stakes on the exit ramp as it started sliding to the right. That was enough for me, not going to chance going down Sherman and jack knifing. Called dispatch and told them I wasn't going to risk it. As I was heading back to Cheyenne it didn't didn't matter if I had wanted to press or not, the WHP made the call and shut it down.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, those guys are real pros, alright...

Fucking idiots who give the 3% of us who aren't morons a bad name. If visibility/road conditions are bad enough to have to slow down that much, it's time to park it.

Pretty much this.

Mine current set of chains are padlocked with a cable...first set of brand new chains I got back in October when we got this new tractor were stolen as the truck was parked in Cheyenne and nobody was scheduled to run it that day. Fucking thieving truck drivers (Super single chains are not sold at our store, so somebody needed some and saw my shiny new ones hanging there...)
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow already charging a guy with vehicular homicide for the crash today

http://www.sweetwaternow.com/man-charged-aggravated-vehicular-homicide-connection-fiery-80-pileup/
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What I don't understand, is how that pickup pulling that trailer made it all the way through. If you look at the two videos of it happening, the one from the rear of the accident you see him heading into it, and if you watch the video filmed from the front of the scene you see him coming out. The original wreck must not have blocked all the lanes for him to just drive out of that mess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Nimble little minx, isn't she?"
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Springtime in the shithole l can't wait to get the fuck out of this place
View Quote

Well, see ya! Don't let the screen door hit you in the @ss.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Over the road dryvan truckers tend to be the lowest common denominator when it comes to trucking. It took me 1 try to pass my cdl exam along with the driving test and that is me studying by myself and having maybe 5 hours of stick time with my friend.
At the DMV I watched 75% or more of the truck school guys (England) retake the written exam 2x or more, and that's with instructor taught classroom. Most of the guys looked like either ex-cons, foreigners or those too stupid to flip burgers. Many trucking companies are begging for real drivers but it seems like all that is coming into the trade are truck school steering wheel holders.  Its getting to the point that there will be a shortage of heavy haul drivers in the near future.
With the demise of quality drivers on the road we shall see more of what happened on I-80.

I bet most of those fools had cruise control on till the last minute
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Sweetwater Now
The tanker hauling hazardous materials in the crash did catch fire but did not belve so the hazardous material was not released into the open.
View Quote

Thank God.  Ive been though tons of Hazwoper training and bleve fires are easily top of the pucker factor.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wow already charging a guy with vehicular homicide for the crash today

http://www.sweetwaternow.com/man-charged-aggravated-vehicular-homicide-connection-fiery-80-pileup/
View Quote

He's Canadian so it's ok.

I'm so happy to be in the Southeast now and away from all that mess.  Wyoming is terrifying to drive in when you're empty.  Luckily Wal-Mart's policy is you're the captain of your ship so if you felt unsafe you shut down and they paid you until you felt safe.  I'm not sure how many days combined I sat in various parts of WY waiting out the wind or ice.  I recall sitting west of Laramie at a rest area and the wind station there was showing gusts to 83 MPH.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top