User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/16/2015 7:09:47 PM EDT
Inguinal hernia. What am I in for?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Shuffling around like an octogenarian for a couple weeks.  Don't lift ANYTHING and pray to everything you find holy that you do not have seasonal allergies and have to sneeze at all for a while.

Now would be the time to queue up series to binge watch as you won't want to leave the bed for days at a time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Prepare for massive scrotum swelling. Try masturbating for a different experience.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prepare for massive scrotum swelling. Try masturbating for a different experience.
View Quote

Will I jizz pure blood?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Will I jizz pure blood?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will I jizz pure blood?

who doesn't?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shuffling around like an octogenarian for a couple weeks.  Don't lift ANYTHING and pray to everything you find holy that you do not have seasonal allergies and have to sneeze at all for a while.

Now would be the time to queue up series to binge watch as you won't want to leave the bed for days at a time.
View Quote

Wingnut has it spot on but he neglected one thing, laughing is discouraged as well so binge on serious drama while healing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a couple bags of frozen peas, they come in handy as ice packs
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the belly button one and the nutsack one done at the same time. Follow instructions and it is
no big deal.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I had left inguinal and an umbilical done at the same time.  Couldn't shit for 3 or 4 days.
Older brother just had umbilical done and he's feeling much better than I was at that point.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Shit, at least it's not bi-lateral inguinal hernia surgery, like I had to suffer through.     Speaking from experience... Um, take stool softeners and stay on top of your pain pills the first week or two.  You're going to be taking a pillow to the bathroom to shit, which sucks if you're constipated.  Probably don't want to drink much, because if you get sick, you likely stand a good chance of messing up the repairs your doctor made, which results in you having to go back in and have more surgery.  Also, don't schedule this procedure during Thanksgiving break as an undergrad.  Ice packs, frozen corn or peas, go buy a bunch of bags.  They are like $1 each.  They normally don't let you leave the hospital until you can walk and piss on your own too.    Schedule for early in the morning, so you can use the hospital room for recovery all day.  Laughing, coughing, sneezing all hurt like shit.  

Have fun!

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Couple days of discomfort.  Shitting will a terrible experience; the pressure makes your guts feel like they're going to pop out of the incision site.  At least that's how it went down when I was 12.  Might be a little longer recovery as an older gent.  Mine was self discovered by the extra 'ball' I had acquired.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Get gallon sized ziplock bags to put your peas, corn, etc. into.  There's nothing worse than already stinking because you can't take a bath/shower and smelling like peas or corn too because a small pinhole sized leak developed.  Better yet get two of those gel packs and just use those.

Buy those bandages that won't stick to skin.

Buy the entire series of breaking bad, just don't laugh when the body falls through the ceiling from the bathtub above.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Pray the mesh works. I had double inguinal 4 years ago, and I am in constant pain 24/7 from the mesh. Stool softeners are your friend as well, start taking them a week before you go in. And pray you don't get meshoma.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a pretty big inguinal hernia and finally had surgery 4 years
ago. Got the mesh, no problems at all, good as new.

Recovery sucks but you should be good to go in a couple of weeks or so.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Going to really hurt for a while, but sure beats having to stuff your guts back in all the time.

Ask your Doc about an anesthetic ball- don't know the term for it, but it was a ball-shaped device with a very thin catheter inserted into the abdomen.

It provided a continuous flow of anesthetic for 48 hours, then when depleted, you pull the catheter yourself.

Thing was amazing until the anesthetic wore off.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Your nuts will turn into large plums, you will walk like you rode a horse for 87 days, and any movement you make from the nipples down will feel like Mike Tyson is using your nut carriage as a punching bag.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Inguinal hernia. What am I in for?
View Quote

I just had it done in December. My surgeon did it laparoscopically with the mesh repair. I had three small incisions and was under for a total 45 minutes. I was up and walking 30 minutes after coming to. There was some pain but it really wasn't that bad and 7 days later it had all but disappeared. Six week post surgery I was back to doing pretty much everything that I was doing before.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wingnut has it spot on but he neglected one thing, laughing is discouraged as well so binge on serious drama while healing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this.
Also if the doc will do it with just a local do that. My second one I chose that option and it really sped up the get out of the hospital time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Sleep in a recliner if you can. Don't do anything physical for several weeks. Even lifting up a laundry basket can mess you up. Get some serious TV shows or books (the Game of Thrones books are plenty morose) that you wont laugh at. There will be MASSIVE swelling that they don't tell you about. Don't let your work rush you back. I think all these horror stories about surgery failure are because people got bullied back to full duty at work too early.

I didn't do shit for almost nine months, and now 1 year after the surgery I'm squating and deadlifting my lifetime max.

Also, if your lady will very gently give you a handy it will help a lot, but you'll owe her for life.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I had "open" inguinal surgery with mesh on the right side a year ago this May. The shit still hurts every time I sneeze or cough or turn at the waist. A sneeze coming on now causes instinctive reaction of my hand going down to press on my groin to help prevent the damn near eye watering pain. Other than the sharp pains when sneezing it otherwise just feels like really deep tissue soreness all the time. Hope you don't experience lingering pain like I and others have.

As for surgery, you will be in, out, and on your way home after several hours. Make sure you have someone to drive you, you will not be able to drive yourself. They will probably give you Percocet, stay away from the prescription pain killers if at all possible as they will constipate you. That first shit will probably feel like what a woman goes through giving birth. Take stool softeners early and often. Get started on them before surgery. Plan not to do any lifting of anything over 5 pounds for probably 4 to 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#20]
When I had my appendix removed I had to share a room with a guy who had just had hernia surgery. If I had had more strength I would have walked over and smothered that bitch with his pillow.

Fucker moaned and screamed for pain meds the. entire. fucking. time.

It's not that bad asshole, go home if you want to get high.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I just scheduled yet ANOTHER surgery yesterday. Full on right hip replacement. I had my left one done in 2008. My single request to the surgeon was to have the foley catheter removed before waking up from anaesthesia. Thankfully hed did it. I was not so fortunate on my most recent surgery a year ago. I HATE WHEN THEY DEFLATE THAT BAG AND PULL A 12 INCH TUBE THROUGH YOUR DICK
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#22]
One thing that saved me a lot of pain with both of my repairs was tying a rope to the foot board of my bed. Long enough to hold on to to help you get up. It sucked trying to sit up or roll out of bed using your abs, so the rope lets you use your arms and helps a lot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't use the pain medication more than the first day and only if you need it. This is the stuff that shuts down your bowels and causes the most trouble. Getting ready to have my third hernia repair. This will be my second one on the belly button.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Buy many boxes of chocolate covered vanilla ice cream bars.  I lived on them for 2 weeks after my hernia operation. - Saved my life. srsly
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#25]
your first crap after your surgery will feel as though someone is actively cutting your junk off while stabbing you in the stomach..

i had bi-lateral repairs when i was in almost perfect physical shape in my 30s.

so good luck with it if you arent..
lol
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Prayers for your hyena.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I had a double with mesh.

-almost couldn't get into bed that night the pain was so intense
-massive hydrocele that needed ultrasound to check
-ran out of pain meds and almost went back to ER from 10/10 pain in my hydrocele to where I couldn't even stand up straight
-massive hydrocele took 5 full weeks to resolve while I sat at home (thank god it was workmens comp)
-severe nerve pain in right quad, as if I was being brunt with a torch
-same area of right quad was numb from knee to nuts for about a year and a half, still kind of is
-left side of mesh is typically sore at the top if the abdomen, surgeon had a very difficult time creating the "potential space" to work in
-couldn't wear a belt for weeks

Plus side, since I was off for 6 weeks and my wife is home 4 days a week. We had a ton of sex
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I had "open" inguinal surgery with mesh on the right side a year ago this May. The shit still hurts every time I sneeze or cough or turn at the waist. A sneeze coming on now causes instinctive reaction of my hand going down to press on my groin to help prevent the damn near eye watering pain. Other than the sharp pains when sneezing it otherwise just feels like really deep tissue soreness all the time. Hope you don't experience lingering pain like I and others have.

As for surgery, you will be in, out, and on your way home after several hours. Make sure you have someone to drive you, you will not be able to drive yourself. They will probably give you Percocet, stay away from the prescription pain killers if at all possible as they will constipate you. That first shit will probably feel like what a woman goes through giving birth. Take stool softeners early and often. Get started on them before surgery. Plan not to do any lifting of anything over 5 pounds for probably 4 to 6 weeks.
View Quote

Took me about 18 months to get over what you describe.

It does get much better.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a 1 foot square piece of mesh in my belly from the surgery. Like others have said stay on top of the stool softener and the pain meds. is kind of a double edge sword as the pain meds will bind you up. Don't plan on doing anything for the first week, you will be, uncomfortable. after the first week its all good! healing is quick and the whole thing will be worth it!

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#30]
It wasn't so bad. Sore as hell but the percocet is helping. Wife surprised me with Mortal Kombat X so I have something to do while recovering.

Good times!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Not sure what causes that particular one but I'll bet $10 you'll be afraid to pick up anything heavy for quite some time...
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It wasn't so bad. Sore as hell but the percocet is helping. Wife surprised me with Mortal Kombat X so I have something to do while recovering.

Good times!
View Quote

Do not overexcert yourself put up your man card and get help to do shit(I had my wife tie my shoes for me for the first week)
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Have you had a movement yet? That was the worst.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. It was pretty bad for me. I finally shit a brick the size of a 40 oz beer after a week of not pooping. Stinking meds stop me up in a bad way.

But that wasn't the worse part. My hernia was a double lower that was 78mm on one side, and 35mm on the other. I had small intestines spilling into my ball sack. It was a fairly major thing getting it repaired.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Had mine in Jan. this year...You want to find a new way to get out of bed that doesn't involve your abs. ALL BRAN cereal is your friend SERIOUSLY...buy a few boxes of that shit. Doing fine now, just making sure to not try to lift like I did when I was in my 20's. Surgery was lapro. and it looked like I took a 3 round burst straight up the middle,,,2 incisions at belt line and one at the belly button. Some swelling but it was going down by my followup the following week. Good Luck.

ETA: The BIGGEST bitch was when that fucker came out and I had to go to ER to get it pushed back in....Think childbirth in reverse.. Multiple shots of demerol didn't do shit for that level of pain. PA was getting concerned about it by the third dose.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This. It was pretty bad for me. I finally shit a brick the size of a 40 oz beer after a week of not pooping. Stinking meds stop me up in a bad way.

But that wasn't the worse part. My hernia was a double lower that was 78mm on one side, and 35mm on the other. I had small intestines spilling into my ball sack. It was a fairly major thing getting it repaired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember shaking so bad from the pain that I thought I was going to fall off the toilet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not yet. Dropped a fatty this morning before the surgery. Took a stool softrner already.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not yet. Dropped a fatty this morning before the surgery. Took a stool softrner already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep up on the softener. Eat stuff that will pass easy. Trust me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:16:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Good times!
View Quote

BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

it's not a big deal until you sit on the toilet..
lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#40]
OP, was your surgery an open incision or laparoscopic?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm not looking forward to mine after reading this thread.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm not looking forward to mine after reading this thread.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

when he diagnosed me, my doctor told me...
"welcome to being active in your 30s"..
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Laparo. Small incisions right above belly button, and two on either side, slightly higher. I felt OK most of yesterday, some soreness.Had a hard time falling asleep, but a nice gentle handy from the wife took care of that. I woke up this morning feeling like I took a full power shot from Squatdog, could hardly get up. A couple percocet and Im feeling fine as long as I don't move.

Sitting on the john right now fruitlessly trying to go. No luck. Maybe later.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Laparo. Small incisions right above belly button, and two on either side, slightly higher. I felt OK most of yesterday, some soreness.Had a hard time falling asleep, but a nice gentle handy from the wife took care of that. I woke up this morning feeling like I took a full power shot from Squatdog, could hardly get up. A couple percocet and Im feeling fine as long as I don't move.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't strain! (But then you knew that )
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I woke up after my surgery cursing in post op. All the nurses were mocking me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DO they even do open incision for hernias anymore?  If so - they shouldn't.  Freaking dark-ages & leaches technique, that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

DO they even do open incision for hernias anymore?  If so - they shouldn't.  Freaking dark-ages & leaches technique, that.
View Quote

Mine was open surgery a year ago last May.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I woke up after my surgery cursing in post op. All the nurses were mocking me.
View Quote

I remember the Doc telling me I was about to get the good stuff and I might see movement if I stare at the ceiling. Next thing I know I'm laying in post op with the nurse asking me how much pain I was in. I said "I hope I didn't say anything too weird" and she said I didn't say much. Thank goodness.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:41:07 AM EDT
[#49]
I have not had a percocet in about 16 hours. Now the real pain is setting in. Holy canoli this sucks!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have not had a percocet in about 16 hours. Now the real pain is setting in. Holy canoli this sucks!
View Quote

Feel the burn.

Edit- I know you don't want to get "hooked", but pain management will help the healing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top