View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When is it a living human being?

That is the root question, isn't it?
So answer it.  

I am over the course of our conversation.  I figure that is what conversations re about, aren't they?  Or am I supposed to take a firm stance and throw the gauntlet down and refuse to hear what you have to say because I have already made up my mind, and I can never learn?

I prefer the dialectical, over the irrational.  YMMV though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:46:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's immaterial.  You're touting falsehoods as facts.  I gave you the benefit of the doubt by saying you don't know anything about biology.  If you do, in fact, have a medical degree, you're either intentionally spouting false information as fact, or you need to get a refund on your education.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, which school did you get your Medical degree from?  I will even accept a DO in this case.  

http://i.imgur.com/gzkxVcH.png

You are casting aspersions on my degree, I thought you might have your own to back it up, and I even was willing to accept a DO as payment in this particular game.

I gather not then, right?

It's immaterial.  You're touting falsehoods as facts.  I gave you the benefit of the doubt by saying you don't know anything about biology.  If you do, in fact, have a medical degree, you're either intentionally spouting false information as fact, or you need to get a refund on your education.

Or, you might want to reevaluate your own dearly held beliefs.  Which is really quiet difficult I understand and I can not fault you if you have no desire to do so.

Usually the world is bigger than two black and white answers that you seem to think things get boiled down to.  In this case, I believe that to be true also.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:46:37 AM EDT
[#4]
[b]Quoted:
Acceptable or not to you?
View Quote

First, please trim your quote trees, I'm getting tired of doing it for you.

Second, no it's not acceptable.

Biologically speaking sex wasn't first made pleasurable and then reproduction became a little added perk. The driving force in any animal is continuation of the species, it is at the most basic state of being. No we are without argument more advanced than any other animal, and can deduce that while sex is biologically for the purpose of reproduction, it can and is pleasurable (if you're doing it right that is). Yes, some people do indeed engage in it primarily for the pleasure aspect of it *raises hand and waves it enthusiastically.* However, I know full well that reproduction is a very real potential consequence of my choice, and the freedom to make that choice also comes with the responsibility to raise that child that was conceived as the result of n action whose sole biological purpose is creating that life.

The problem is your argument is straight out of the free love 60's, arguably the beginning of the societal decomposition of this great country.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:47:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Going to bed guys. Have fun.
View Quote

Going to pick up my wife, who is coming home from Atlanta, she gains three hours, thats a plus!

Mostly excellent conversation here tonight though.  Lots of food for thought.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:49:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, is that a greater offense than swimming against the current?  If so, I apologize.

I do appreciate you coming in to tell us that you do not care though.  One more data point, as weak as it is.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't care anymore...

Quitter!  

Seriously, you're being sarcastic about me not caring about this squabble?

Yes, is that a greater offense than swimming against the current?  If so, I apologize.

I do appreciate you coming in to tell us that you do not care though.  One more data point, as weak as it is.  

It is not a "weak data point," my friend. I used to be a major anti-abortionist, but things change as you get older...you should chill!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to bed Sedona, I'll be happy to answer your questions when you show the courtesy of trimming your quote trees. I'm not going to spend five minutes trying to edit your quotes on my phone so I can reply.

Goodnight Sir
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:01:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Or, you might want to reevaluate your own dearly held beliefs.  Which is really quiet difficult I understand and I can not fault you if you have no desire to do so.

Usually the world is bigger than two black and white answers that you seem to think things get boiled down to.  In this case, I believe that to be true also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's some textbook for you:

Quoted:

No, because I do not think that a fetus is life.  No more so than my gall bladder or finger nail clippings.  

"Fertilization is a sequence of events that begins with the contact of a sperm (spermatozoon) with a secondary oocyte (ovum) and ends with the fusion of their pronuclei (the haploid nuclei of the sperm and ovum) and the mingling of their chromosomes to form a new cell. This fertilized ovum, known as a zygote, is a large diploid cell that is the beginning, or primordium, of a human being."
[Moore, Keith L. Essentials of Human Embryology. Toronto: B.C. Decker Inc, 1988, p.2]

"Although life is a continuous process, fertilization is a critical landmark because, under ordinary circumstances, a new, genetically distinct human organism is thereby formed.... The combination of 23 chromosomes present in each pronucleus results in 46 chromosomes in the zygote. Thus the diploid number is restored and the embryonic genome is formed. The embryo now exists as a genetic unity."
[O'Rahilly, Ronan and Muller, Fabiola. Human Embryology & Teratology. 2nd edition. New York: Wiley-Liss, 1996, pp. 8, 29.]

"Almost all higher animals start their lives from a single cell, the fertilized ovum (zygote)... The time of fertilization represents the starting point in the life history, or ontogeny, of the individual."
[Carlson, Bruce M. Patten's Foundations of Embryology. 6th edition. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1996, p. 3]

"Human development begins after the union of male and female gametes or germ cells during a process known as fertilization (conception).
Fertilization is a sequence of events that begins with the contact of a sperm (spermatozoon) with a secondary oocyte (ovum) and ends with the fusion of their pronuclei (the haploid nuclei of the sperm and ovum) and the mingling of their chromosomes to form a new cell. This fertilized ovum, known as a zygote, is a large diploid cell that is the beginning, or primordium, of a human being."
[Moore, Keith L. Essentials of Human Embryology. Toronto: B.C. Decker Inc, 1988, p.2]

"Embryo: An organism in the earliest stage of development; in a man, from the time of conception to the end of the second month in the uterus."
[Dox, Ida G. et al. The Harper Collins Illustrated Medical Dictionary. New York: Harper Perennial, 1993, p. 146]

"Embryo: The developing individual between the union of the germ cells and the completion of the organs which characterize its body when it becomes a separate organism.... At the moment the sperm cell of the human male meets the ovum of the female and the union results in a fertilized ovum (zygote), a new life has begun.... The term embryo covers the several stages of early development from conception to the ninth or tenth week of life."
[Considine, Douglas (ed.). Van Nostrand's Scientific Encyclopedia. 5th edition. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, 1976, p. 943]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:02:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I tend to vote republican, but it's starting to seem that it's all the same.

As a "republican", party lines dictate that I'm anti-abortion... And truthfully I do hate the idea of abortion in it's entirety. I had an ex-GF abort a child of ours, so it even hits especially close to home.

That being said, I still feel like it should be a personal choice and nothing else. The .gov should not manage the way you live your life. You will answer for all you've done (or not done) at some point. The government is really just like a women's hairdresser's shop on fucking extreme steroids and nothing more... Somebody bitches about something once and it somehow turns into a national debate based upon party lines and divisiveness. Nobody who matters actually gives a fuck about how it affects real people; It's all just fucking bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:11:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If there was ONE type of welfare/subsidy I'd have zero problem paying for with my taxes, it would be free contraception.

Teaching "abstinence" does jack shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always figured the best way to shrink the welfare rolls would be free birth control for everyone.

If there was ONE type of welfare/subsidy I'd have zero problem paying for with my taxes, it would be free contraception.

No.

There should NEVER be any form of government mandated welfare.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:24:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Its costing Republicans votes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do they care?
Odds are, most people getting abortions or are pro abortion are not Republican.  
Seems like a self correcting problem, Move On.

Why do you care?

Its costing Republicans votes

I'm sure it's been said, but not a fucking chance.

The people that will vote D because of abortion are going to vote D no matter what.

However, there are plenty of dirt poor religious folks that would probably vote D, if not for abortion and other religious issues.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:33:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I guess that's like your opinion man...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Racists support abortion. Always been that way.

Google up Margret Sanger and her ilk. Then realize the modern Democratic Party is filled with people who believe that the blacks and hispanics will never accomplish anything without the help of the Democrats and the .Gov there to supervise and control their environment.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:35:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always figured the best way to shrink the welfare rolls would be free birth control for everyone.

Free contraception and aborts have done nothing to stem the number of out-of-wedlock births and government dependency.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:39:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I should post a conversation about abortion that my father and I had with yellow dog Democrats in our family. They were decrying the Republicans opposition to abortion, when you dug down into the core of their argument....it was all about race.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I wouldn't be the one killing that one kid, they would, and they'd have to live with it not me.
The Democrats have no problem killing peoples souls by confiscating their wealth and redistributing it to your political opposites, and keep winning.
And so it was, he stood by his morals and is no more, Poor sap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe there are people who believe that standing up for what is right is more important than winning, or that allowing people to kill children so they could get elected would be wrong?

If you only had to kill one child to be elected president, would you do it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I wouldn't be the one killing that one kid, they would, and they'd have to live with it not me.
The Democrats have no problem killing peoples souls by confiscating their wealth and redistributing it to your political opposites, and keep winning.
And so it was, he stood by his morals and is no more, Poor sap.

But would you be ok buying the gun or knife used in the killing, or paying for an assassin to do the job for you?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:22:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No, there are actual laws against murder.  Abortion is not murder, by any legal definition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get why people care about murder in the Inner Cities. I mean, it seems like a self-correcting problem.  

RIGHT?

No, there are actual laws against murder.  Abortion is not murder, by any legal definition.

Tell that to Kermit Gosnell....or better yet send a letter to him in prison.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:27:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say living cell.

When is it a living human being?

I think the root question is "When should the state legally recognize personhood, and forcibly secure the rights of the unborn against the intent of it's mother."

There's more than one moral question involved.

Quoted:
Quoted:
It's rather nebulous, I'd say. I would confer legal protection at 6 months. I wouldn't consider it a person until it becomes self aware, which happens after birth.
Children born at 5 1/2 months can survive into adult hood.  

What changes in two weeks that you'd be fine with killing a viable child?

One line is just as arbitrary as another. Conception is a completely arbitrary line, so is birth.

I'm personally of the opinion that 20 weeks is an appropriate place to put that arbitrary line where the state is concerned, not because I think abortion is moral at 15 weeks and/or suddenly murder at 25, but because the farther away from that line you move in either direction the more horrific things get, either having the state prosecuting rape victims or parents who lose kids to fatal genetic defects (or at least intruding into those situations, enforcement gets really problematic ) for not carrying to term or the other way allowing viable infants to be terminated.

I'd be tempted to say even a bit earlier but then you end up pressuring people to have a procedure while they can who are not in a position to make good decisions rapidly. Later made more sense in the past when viability was more difficult medically.

It doesn't hurt that somewhere in the midterm is the point of political viability either. When you eliminate the hedged positions that ease the conscience but aren't actually workable from an enforcement perspective like rape exceptions you end up with significant minorities and political counterproductivity at the far ends of the range of possibilities.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:32:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I believe abortion to be murder.  Therefore, I cannot in good faith support a candidate that is pro-abortion.

The problem republicans have is not their (nearly non-existent) pro-life stance.  It's the fact that their stated party platform is nearly the exact opposite of what most of them actually DO.

If they'd start actually fighting for conservative principles rather than trampling them, they'd win by a landslide.

But if they keep running milk-toast faux-conservatives like Romney and McCain, they will continue to lose.

Give us someone to be proud to follow and fight for and the conservative base will show its true power.  Keep running Trojan horses and, well, I'm tired of having Lucy pull the football away at the last moment.  I'll just take my ball and go home.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:50:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Conception is a completely arbitrary line[...]

View Quote

No, it's not.  Do you know what "arbitrary" means?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:12:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Conception is a completely arbitrary line[...]

I'm not making the argument, but I will concede that conception isn't arbitrary.  Viability is subject to much debate though.  Of course there is no debate when rabid anti-choicers are adamant that using the morning after pill is exactly the same as a third trimester abortion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:02:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I believe abortion to be murder...
View Quote

So what should the penalty be for a woman who takes a 'morning-after' pill? Lethal injection? Life without parole?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:13:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Haven't seen those people post much. I'm pretty sure it's mainly about religion. There's no other reason to think that an unconscious blob of flesh should have rights. I could maybe see an argument for the last few months of pregnancy, but even then the fetus is not self aware. From my perspective, a dolphin, chimpanzee or elephant should have more rights than a 6 month old fetus. And considering how eager some of you guys are to blow the brains out of those things, the logical conclusion is that you feel that the fetus is special because Jesus injected his magic juice into it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys keep bringing up religion...why?  The vast majority of the anti-abortion arguments in this thread make no mention of God or religion.  In fact, there are non-believers in this thread arguing against abortion.

Haven't seen those people post much. I'm pretty sure it's mainly about religion. There's no other reason to think that an unconscious blob of flesh should have rights. I could maybe see an argument for the last few months of pregnancy, but even then the fetus is not self aware. From my perspective, a dolphin, chimpanzee or elephant should have more rights than a 6 month old fetus. And considering how eager some of you guys are to blow the brains out of those things, the logical conclusion is that you feel that the fetus is special because Jesus injected his magic juice into it.

Nice strawman you once again erected there.
My reasons for opposing abortion have zero to do with religion.

I was almost aborted and had it not been for my mother doing the right thing and not listening to my father I wouldn't fucking be here.
Thank God abortion was illegal in Michigan when I was born and they had a long drive to New York.

Killing a child in the womb is wrong period and don't give me that shit about being viable. My twin daughters were very early and had to be kept in an incubator for three weeks. Not to mention babies just out of the womb and very young children are not able to live on their own either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well, I guess it comes down to your definition of viable. I'd consider an infant that can survive, given typical care, to be viable. Ideally, I'd prefer that the entire issue be avoided by people using birth control and genetic screening as necessary. I'd probably even compromise on a late term abortion ban, because it's an easily avoidable ethical issue, given that women would still have 6 months to decide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The choice to kill an innocent child because it's an inconvenience? You are right, I am lucky I don't have to make that choice because IT'S SO HARD TO DECIDE WHETHER MURDER IS WRONG?

Women have it so rough these days. The whole "do I murder or not" decision is incredibly difficult.

It isn't a child until it's viable outside the womb. Until then it's only potential, having no rights whatsoever. Your religion may lead you to believe otherwise, but those of us who don't believe in fairy tales don't really care.

I hate to break it to you, no infant is viable outside the womb. It needs to be clothed, sheltered, fed, changed, etc. it's not a fucking foal that pops out and is walking behind mom and hour later.

Well, I guess it comes down to your definition of viable. I'd consider an infant that can survive, given typical care, to be viable. Ideally, I'd prefer that the entire issue be avoided by people using birth control and genetic screening as necessary. I'd probably even compromise on a late term abortion ban, because it's an easily avoidable ethical issue, given that women would still have 6 months to decide.

With our modern advances most premature babies now survive with the proper care. As time has gone on we have been able to save fetuses born earlier and earlier.

Blows your bullshit viability argument out of the water.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:27:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
But, Abortion is perfectly legal, while holding a pillow over a brain dead persons face is not.  Murder is the unlawful taking of a human life.  Abortion being legal, simply can't be murder.  You didn't know this already?
View Quote

Slavery was legal too. Was it moral or right?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Much better argument, than the silly "abortion is murder".

Do you support capital punishment?  The person to be executed is defenseless, are they not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't support infanticide. Killing people who are defenseless is wrong.

Much better argument, than the silly "abortion is murder".

Do you support capital punishment?  The person to be executed is defenseless, are they not?

A baby has committed no crime. Logic fail as usual for the leftists.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:34:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's hard to have a rational discussion with someone who fails to understand basic biology.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, because I do not think that a fetus is life.  No more so than my gall bladder or finger nail clippings.  

It's hard to have a rational discussion with someone who fails to understand basic biology.

Or logic.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I think democrats ...I mean libertarians have covered all the democrat party talking points. Will they go back to DU and huffpost now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:47:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I agree with a lot of what you are saying here.  The problem I have is you are using a legal term, in a decidedly non-legal discussion, as much as you want abortion to be murder, it simply can't be, because murder has a specific definition, not open to interpretation.  You may call an egg a car, but it won't make that egg a car in the real world.

I understand you want an emotionally charged word to use, I think the onus is on you to come up with one that is both emotionally charged enough for you and correct in it's usage.    Thats a fair request isn't it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, Abortion is perfectly legal, while holding a pillow over a brain dead persons face is not.  Murder is the unlawful taking of a human life.  Abortion being legal, simply can't be murder.  You didn't know this already?

You're being obtuse. Owning other human beings was once legal. Forced sterilization was once legal. Just because nine idiots in black robes foist their opinion upon is does not make it moral or just. The bench is beyond politicized. If SCOTUS were to rule tomorrow that anything other than a musket was illegal, would you embrace and defend the decision? Unless your answer is yes your posts in this thread are morally bankrupt and intellectually disingenuous.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying here.  The problem I have is you are using a legal term, in a decidedly non-legal discussion, as much as you want abortion to be murder, it simply can't be, because murder has a specific definition, not open to interpretation.  You may call an egg a car, but it won't make that egg a car in the real world.

I understand you want an emotionally charged word to use, I think the onus is on you to come up with one that is both emotionally charged enough for you and correct in it's usage.    Thats a fair request isn't it?

Slavery is a legal term too, smart guy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

None, but you need a standard for legal purposes. Also, I wouldn't consider the fetus viable if unusual measures are needed to keep it alive. At some point, we'll be able to take an embryo and bring it to term using only machines. That doesn't make a single cell a viable human being.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's rather nebulous, I'd say. I would confer legal protection at 6 months. I wouldn't consider it a person until it becomes self aware, which happens after birth.
Children born at 5 1/2 months can survive into adult hood.  

What changes in two weeks that you'd be fine with killing a viable child?

None, but you need a standard for legal purposes. Also, I wouldn't consider the fetus viable if unusual measures are needed to keep it alive. At some point, we'll be able to take an embryo and bring it to term using only machines. That doesn't make a single cell a viable human being.

And according to your twisted logic a person who was not born would be ok to kill whenever.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I wouldn't die to protect anyone, and outside of some ridiculous postering most others wouldn't either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is it worth more? I would step over 1000 starving children to help a single injured animal. Odds are that animal isnt going to cost me.money, or turn out to be a worthless asshole.
Well come on out to my house. You can kill yourself and I'll feed you to my dogs.  

Instead of idiotic comments can you give me a single reason a humans life holds some special value? All we do it consume, breed, die, just like every other animal. There is nothing inherently special.

Hey man, I'm just asking you to put your beliefs where your mouth is.

Obviously, you don't really feel that way.

Unless it's your human, like your mother, wife or child. You'd die to protect them.

That's what separates humans from animals.

I wouldn't die to protect anyone, and outside of some ridiculous postering most others wouldn't either.

You've referenced your military service in the past.   I do hope and assume that you were never directly involved in any ground combat.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So what should the penalty be for a woman who takes a 'morning-after' pill? Lethal injection? Life without parole?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess we should let the voters decide that question through their elected representatives.

no.  can't have that.

we need judges because the peons have no right to representative democracy.  judicial tyranny defines freedom in modern america.

nice reductio ad absurdum.

"If you are against abortion you want to execute people who take the morning after pill!!!!!"

don't you have a dirty hippie to guard against?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
H
Can't your son fend for himself?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
H
Quoted:

And when folks start espousing the eugenics bullshit, I take it a little personal.  That philosophy dictates that they can kill my son.

That will not happen so long as I am alive.

Can't your son fend for himself?

We're working on it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I think abortion is murder. That being said, I support it in a lot of situations, and many other forms of killing, but not all. I don't think I could support aborting one of my own though. I don't think it would be unreasonable for it to be criminal for those that use abortion repeatedly as birth control.

Leather is dead animal skin, veil is tortured baby cow, etc. etc. There are many copouts for various nasty and sad things in the world that people find hard to accept but turn a blind eye to do so. Better to accept things for what they actually are with eyes open than blindly try to justify them. In the end, the majority decides what's right.

In for the shitstorm if I haven't missed it yet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Most states have fetal homicide laws, which define the killing of a fetus as murder -except in cases where abortions are legal.

Abortion in conjunction with these laws is legal murder.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

At the moment of conception, the embryo forms a membrane that is a boundary between the mother's body and the child's.

The child has its own distinct DNA, blood, organs, and nervous system.

While it might be inside your body, it is distinctly different from you and is not a part of your body.

The child in utero is in fact protected by the laws of this nation.  That's why drunk driver are charged with two murders if they kill a mother carrying a child.

Your freedom to swing your fist ends at the face of another.

The only way you could possibly think otherwise is if they exclusively think with their feels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My question is: why are "pro abortion" people always "save the animals" people?

They're not. Some are freedom nuts.

Putting people to death without due process is the antithesis of freedom.

If you believe they're people, I can see how you might feel that way.

But they're not people, merely potential people and it's not within your power to protect them. It's outside of the things you control. Much like a dictator in Zimbabwe can carry out executions of Zimbabweans and your interfering with it is an act of war.

Neither you nor the govt has jurisdiction over the nation of my body. I govern here. If you can't stop yourself from trying to rescue my fetuses from me, it's war. Plain and simple.

At the moment of conception, the embryo forms a membrane that is a boundary between the mother's body and the child's.

While it might be inside your body, it is distinctly different from you and is not a part of your body.

The child in utero is in fact protected by the laws of this nation.  That's why drunk driver are charged with two murders if they kill a mother carrying a child.

The only way you could possibly think otherwise is if they exclusively think with their feels.

It's a separate life, a human life, within a person. And it is under the 'authority' or 'jurisdiction', for lack of a better word, of the person in which it is living.

Just like a child is at a parents mercy if the parent wants to teach it crazy politics, religion, and horrible diet and poor education and morals. It sucks, but a child is under a parents control and we can't interfere and take obese little commies away from the parents who abuse them this way.

Before the child is born, society is even less able to protect it from the mothers' bad decisions. It sucks. It's so frustrating. But we don't have the authority to help the children or the fetuses. All we can do is beg them to stop, and to make better choices.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I guess we should let the voters decide that question through their elected representatives....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess we should let the voters decide that question through their elected representatives....

Should we let the voters decide through their elected representatives whether or not you should own a firearm?

Should we let the voters decide through their elected representatives what religion you should be?

Should we let the voters decide through their elected representatives what you are allowed to say?

Should we let the voters decide through their elected representatives what you are allowed to look at?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

As long as their destiny coincides with your idea of what their destiny ought to be I gather?  She should not have the right to control her own body, but everything else you are good with?  That's mighty big of you.  She only has to give up that tiny little bit of freedom to be acceptable in your world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually there is another purpose for sex, pleasure.  Wouldn't you agree?   And she does take responsibility, she makes a conscious decision as to whether she wants to carry the child to term,  if she chooses not to, she aborts it and goes on with her life.  A win-win in both case.  

So what you're saying it's acceptable to take a life, because pleasure?

Just trying to understand.

No, because I do not think that a fetus is life.  No more so than my gall bladder or finger nail clippings.   You definition is incorrect.   But I think you are coming close to grasping the general idea.

Should we hold funerals for every menses, as it might contain a fertilized egg?  In your mind, what is the spark that turns it form a clump of cells, to human?

How about when it has its own unique human DNA pattern that it will have in the womb as the day it would die of old age.

Science backs us up, and you are relying on emotional arguments out of the progressive play book... Why do you hate women you ask. The irony is more than half of those aborted are female. I'd say that's a pretty good example of being pro woman, you know, wanting to give them the chance to live and chart their own destiny.

As long as their destiny coincides with your idea of what their destiny ought to be I gather?  She should not have the right to control her own body, but everything else you are good with?  That's mighty big of you.  She only has to give up that tiny little bit of freedom to be acceptable in your world.

If she doesn't like the results of the reproductive system she should get her tubes tied
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Should we let the voters decide through their elected representatives whether or not you should own a firearm?

Should we let the voters decide through their elected representatives what religion you should be?

Should we let the voters decide through their elected representatives what you are allowed to say?

Should we let the voters decide through their elected representatives what you are allowed to look at?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh.

so abortion, like gay marriage, is a CONSTITUTIONAL right?

Could you please point to the part of the CONSTITUTION that talks about infanticide?  I missed that part.

Or does the constitution protect whatever a judge says it protects?  In which case, it protects anything the robbed oligarchy says it does.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's a separate life, a human life, within a person. And it is under the 'authority' or 'jurisdiction', for lack of a better word, of the person in which it is living.

Just like a child is at a parents mercy if the parent wants to teach it crazy politics, religion, and horrible diet and poor education and morals. It sucks, but a child is under a parents control and we can't interfere and take obese little commies away from the parents who abuse them this way.

Before the child is born, society is even less able to protect it from the mothers' bad decisions. It sucks. It's so frustrating. But we don't have the authority to help the children or the fetuses. All we can do is beg them to stop, and to make better choices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[ quote]Quoted:
My question is: why are "pro abortion" people always "save the animals" people?[/quote ]

They're not. Some are freedom nuts.

Putting people to death without due process is the antithesis of freedom.

If you believe they're people, I can see how you might feel that way.

But they're not people, merely potential people and it's not within your power to protect them. It's outside of the things you control. Much like a dictator in Zimbabwe can carry out executions of Zimbabweans and your interfering with it is an act of war.

Neither you nor the govt has jurisdiction over the nation of my body. I govern here. If you can't stop yourself from trying to rescue my fetuses from me, it's war. Plain and simple.

I take it you have never heard of Child Protective Services?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's just not true.  Would you like me to tell you about the dozens of children I've legally removed from the "care" of their parents?  

FWIW, I'm pro-choice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Someone in a coma is no longer a person?

What about my Grandfather with Alzheimer's?

And just WHO determines "cognitive ability"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a child, it's just a fetus. Without the emotions we attach to it, it's as much a person as a dog or cat. Or less, depending on how undeveloped the fetus is.

Potential is all a fetus has to make it important. If you're not considering potential, you don't have anything to consider besides a very simple little organism.

There's no such thing as souls, all we are is whatever consciousness and cognitive ability our physical bodies allow us to have. If our bodies are undeveloped, fetal, we aren't people.

What else defines a person? By that logic, there are hundreds of thousands of living adults in this country (at a minimum) that aren't people. Should be they exterminated?

There is no liberal logic used to support abortion that is not self-refuting.

Consciousness defines personhood. Cognitive ability. I don't understand where you're getting that anyone wants to exterminate anyone else. Not babies or vegetables.

Excellent use of the "liberal" card though. It really proves your point.

As far as I know, a coma isn't brain death, is it? I'm talking about an overall, relatively static state of consciousness. Not like whether you're asleep or awake. General cognitive ability.

Your own grandfather is your business, or your parents and uncles and aunts, most likely. I know, more or less, where I would be comfortable pulling the plug on my catatonic relatives.

I don't have an answer for your last question. I don't think I need to. Let's focus on where it's clear cut. Not late term abortion or euthanizing people that are on any borderline. Because we're talking about euthanasia in general, not 'the lines'. If abortion is wrong, it's wrong at 6 weeks. If euthanasia of adults is wrong, it's wrong when all they have is a brainstem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I can think of no better guarantee of freedom than to let Justice Keagan determine who is, and is not, "human"

Much better than the unwashed masses doing it for themselves through yucky things like elections and what not.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm
The concept protecting those who can't protect themselves is ridiculous?  

That's sad that you see it that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll rabidly fight for all my rights. Even the ones that I've no intention of using.

There's a lot of us who think abortion is awful, but are really into freedom.

If a fetus could only hold a rifle, I'd bet it would put up a fight, too.

That's ridiculous, Cincinnatus. Your arguments are usually much better than that.

The concept protecting those who can't protect themselves is ridiculous?  

That's sad that you see it that way.

Did I complain about your concept or about your argument?

You're plenty smart and you know why your argument was ridiculous. Why are you playing games? You're capable of much better, more substantial debate. I've seen you do it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#44]
abortion is killing an inconvenient child.  the freedom to fuck men you don't want to have children with is the cornerstone of western civilization.

but its a right enshrined in the constitution, so we can never question it.

abortion is soooooooooooooo popular with the american people (the point of this thread) that we need judges to stop people from voting to stop it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Do you believe it is murder?  (though we both know Murder is a legal term that does not apply here).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do they care?

Odds are, most people getting abortions or are pro abortion are not Republican.  

Seems like a self correcting problem, Move On.

This is not a hard question. If you genuinely believed someone someone was being murdered, would you stand by and not say anything because it was Politically Incorrect?

People who oppose abortion do so because they believe it is murder. (shrug) You may not believe that, but if you did, wouldn't you at least say, "Hey, man, that's not right! Stop it!"?

Do you believe it is murder?  (though we both know Murder is a legal term that does not apply here).

Yeah, I pretty much count it as murder. And it does apply here. It is part of the state's duty to stop people from murdering one another, and as part of that duty, there has to be a line where one becomes a person and is to be protected. There is nothing irrational or mystical in believing that point occurs some time prior to actual birth. It's just a disagreement. Inevitably, it seems those who think personhood only begins at birth either have an agenda or have no children of their own.

Stop trying to get ahead of things and cut off argument with cheap tactics and splitting words. I've enjoyed a lot of your posts here, but you're doing a find job of destroying my impression of you, not because of your position, but because of how you argue it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

This is pathetic. We are discussing whether or not it should be legal. If your only argument against the comparison is a circular definition, you've lost.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

As far as I know, a coma isn't brain death, is it? I'm talking about an overall, relatively static state of consciousness. Not like whether you're asleep or awake. General cognitive ability.

Your own grandfather is your business, or your parents and uncles and aunts, most likely. I know, more or less, where I would be comfortable pulling the plug on my catatonic relatives.

I don't have an answer for your last question. I don't think I need to. Let's focus on where it's clear cut. Not late term abortion or euthanizing people that are on any borderline. Because we're talking about euthanasia in general, not 'the lines'. If abortion is wrong, it's wrong at 6 weeks. If euthanasia of adults is wrong, it's wrong when all they have is a brainstem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a child, it's just a fetus. Without the emotions we attach to it, it's as much a person as a dog or cat. Or less, depending on how undeveloped the fetus is.

Potential is all a fetus has to make it important. If you're not considering potential, you don't have anything to consider besides a very simple little organism.

There's no such thing as souls, all we are is whatever consciousness and cognitive ability our physical bodies allow us to have. If our bodies are undeveloped, fetal, we aren't people.

What else defines a person? By that logic, there are hundreds of thousands of living adults in this country (at a minimum) that aren't people. Should be they exterminated?

There is no liberal logic used to support abortion that is not self-refuting.

Consciousness defines personhood. Cognitive ability. I don't understand where you're getting that anyone wants to exterminate anyone else. Not babies or vegetables.

Excellent use of the "liberal" card though. It really proves your point.

It's wrong.

Because history has proven those lines get redrawn.  Therefore, I am in full support of pushing them as far back as possible.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Racists support abortion. Always been that way.

no its not. look at margaret sanger,. the founder of planned parenthood.  like the democratic party. Racist at its core.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not when you have the historical record to back it up.

Eugenics, spearheaded by Early 20th Century Americans (why, hello Hillary Clinton!  Thank you for starting us on the path for who THEY were!) believed in segregation, sterilizing "undesirables", killing the mentally or physically handicapped, and the unproductive members of society.  They were early backers of Mussolini and Hitler.  They een pushed for a lethal gas as a "humane way" to kill, which led the Nazis to come up with Zyklon-B.  I will freely admit they were pissed at Hitler for trying to kill all the Jews.  Not because he was killing them, in fact they fully supported his killing off of lrge grups of people, they just thought that race or ethnicity wasn't the sole indicator for who to kill.  They felt that it should be based more on who is unproductive.

And that same group of early 20th Century Progressives contained who?  Why, Margaret Sanger, of course!  The founder of Planned Parenthood!  All designed to create an environment where it's OK to kill an unwanted baby.

IT IS EVIL

Period, full stop.

You can make up your own mind as far as whose camp you want to be in.  For me, it is clear cut on this issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sorry, but eugenics is WRONG. Period, full stop.

Advocating the elimination of unwanted, undesirable, those with a low quailty of life, those who are not able to justify their cntinued existence by showig how they are a net benefit to society is WRONG.  It is EVIL.

Margaret Sanger, George Bernard Shaw, Woodrow WIlson, and the others wo pushed this philosophy during the late 19th, early 20th centuries were evil, evil people.

Eugenics can also mean me choosing to use someone else's eggs instead of using mine to avoid a genetic disease, or selecting sperm from a green eyed man.

Or lead to believing there is such as thing as a master race.

IT IS EVIL.

Slippery slope argument. Anything can lead to anything. This is a ridiculous argument.

Not when you have the historical record to back it up.

Eugenics, spearheaded by Early 20th Century Americans (why, hello Hillary Clinton!  Thank you for starting us on the path for who THEY were!) believed in segregation, sterilizing "undesirables", killing the mentally or physically handicapped, and the unproductive members of society.  They were early backers of Mussolini and Hitler.  They een pushed for a lethal gas as a "humane way" to kill, which led the Nazis to come up with Zyklon-B.  I will freely admit they were pissed at Hitler for trying to kill all the Jews.  Not because he was killing them, in fact they fully supported his killing off of lrge grups of people, they just thought that race or ethnicity wasn't the sole indicator for who to kill.  They felt that it should be based more on who is unproductive.

And that same group of early 20th Century Progressives contained who?  Why, Margaret Sanger, of course!  The founder of Planned Parenthood!  All designed to create an environment where it's OK to kill an unwanted baby.

IT IS EVIL

Period, full stop.

You can make up your own mind as far as whose camp you want to be in.  For me, it is clear cut on this issue.

You can't use history to back up a slippery slope fallacy or support an associative fallacy by fear/hate mongering about the red herring with which you're trying to associate your opponents argument with.

To put it simply: the awfulness of nazis/Sanger has no bearing on my right to euthanasia or abortion because they have no bearing on it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Going to bed guys. Have fun.
View Quote

Did you have fun with your evening of bedding guys?

Commas.  Learn them.  Use them.    
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top