Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It is hit or miss with that website for me. I got a really nice john boat (for cheap) and a really nice set of rims for one of my 4Runners for $25/ea (almost new). That part is good.

But I learned one lesson I consider I big mistake early on.  I advertised free horse manure (I have a mountain of it) one spring with free loading with a bobcat.  People came out of the woodwork to get it for their gardens but they were showing up in old beat up cars.  If they did have a truck it generally wasn't worthy and I realized I had just invited a whole lot of people I wouldn't otherwise associate with right to my home.  Won't do that again.

ETA: also I should add that I got a really decent deal on a John Deere tractor last year that another arfcommer had been spying as well.  It was pretty much exactly what the ad said but I got it for $400 less than asking price and it wasn't on there long. So I do have some success there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Posted a fridge I used as my garage fridge a couple years back. I was asking $125 I think. Guys calls, says that he wants it and if he gives me $20 more, could I help him get it to his place. Yup.

Guy shows up, very well spoken black kid about 23, polite, cash in hand, helps me load the fridge into my truck. We get to the place, its a very low quality apartment. A real crap hole. The apartment is upstairs through an "S" shaped stairwell. Oh well. He's a good kid. Does the majority of the work. This was in June in central cali, about 95 degrees. We are both soaked when we get done.

We get it into the kitchen, older black lady, his mother is there just shaking with happiness. Says that they haven't had a fridge in 9 months. This will change their lives.

I refused the extra $20.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Speaking of motorcycles i had idiots actually ask me if i would finance it for them???(but you can hold the title till its paid off)
View Quote

Funny how they get all pissed off if you tell them you'll be holding both the title and the bike until it's paid off, 25% of the purchase price is non-refundable, payments will be in cash with a payment schedule in place, and they'll be signing a sales contract.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

you know....

it is shit lime this that is equal parts sad, hilarious, and rage inducing.

Guy is smart enough to work out a scam for a free dirt bike ride.   But not smart enough to figure out his criminal acts are piling up and gets caught for some stupid shit.

Glad the police did something for you and treated the call seriously and didnt sluff it off as civil.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a brand new 2000 RM250, owned it for three years, maybe had 100 miles on the thing if I was lucky,  bike still looked brand new, no scratchs at all, even had a new after market Gold Series FMF pipe. I wanted $4500. After having it listed for a week a guy from Maryland wanted to come and look at it and wanted to meet in a place he could ride it.

We agree on a time and place, being he could only meet through the week I had to take a vacation day from work. I load the bike up and make the 15 mile trip to the nearest trail area which had about 400 acres to ride on. Guy shows up 2 hours late in a small beat up pickup truck with one of his friends. At this point I had the bike unloaded and ready with a full tank of fuel.  He gets out doesn't really introduce himself, gets on the bike and takes off full blast up the hollow and out of sight.  After being gone for about an hour he comes back, the bike was completely coated in mud and my brand new pipe had a big dent in it but being he said he was going to buy it I didn't say anything. Then his buddy got on and rode off. After watching his buddy ride off I notice my back tire is bent, and bad. I'm getting pissed at this point. About that time his buddy comes back and the original guy I I originally had contact with walks over. He tells me he's going to pass because he doesn't like it. And says good luck then starts for his truck.

So I start looking the bike over, deep scratches in just about all the new plastics, big dent in pipe, bike dripping in mud, engine smoking from said mud and a bent back tire. I Inform him thats fine but the bike has been extensively damaged,  just looking it over about $1200+ worth of damage.  He denies it was him jumps in his truck and takes off. Luckily I took about 10 pictures of the bike and a video just before he arrived.

I took his plate down and called the police. He didn't make it out of town before the cops got him. He was arrested for driving on a suspended and had a warrant for his arrest go figure.  Fast forward 6 months,  a lawyer and one civil court case later that he was a no show for I ended up getting all of my money back plus court cost, out of his mother of all people.

Grade A scum bag.

you know....

it is shit lime this that is equal parts sad, hilarious, and rage inducing.

Guy is smart enough to work out a scam for a free dirt bike ride.   But not smart enough to figure out his criminal acts are piling up and gets caught for some stupid shit.

Glad the police did something for you and treated the call seriously and didnt sluff it off as civil.

I am thinking when he called the police with the info they knew exactly who he was talking about.  I imagine the guy has gotten driving on a suspended license more than one time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I will post a couple of my stories.  

I only have had no shows mainly nothing really note worthy.

I was trying to sell a couple extra snowmobiles on craigslist.  One was a super old Polaris with lots of miles that needed some front suspension work.  But without fail it always started and with very few pulls.  I was very detailed in explaining all that info plus the rear suspension had recently been almost all replaced.  The other was a Skidoo MX 500 that was a bit newer and very clean.  I had some guy call said he would come look at both of them the next night.  No problem I text him the next night to make sure he still wants to look at it and get a "sorry works running late can't make it but I will be by tomorrow night same time".   The following night I get the same text.   I texted him the third night a couple of times.  I never hear from him ever again.  The next week some kid that live 3 miles away on a acreage just wants to look at the Polaris.  He comes buy with his uncle they have a trailer so I know he's serious.  We go back and forth and agree on a price.  Then his uncles asks what am I asking for  on the other sled.  I tell him and we agree on a price.  They both pay me and I help load them up and off they go.

The longest it took to sell something on craigslist was my old bed liner.  I bought a 2008 GMC Sierra Crew Cab.  It had a plastic bed liner but I really wanted a spray in bed liner and had saved the money past the down payment on the truck so I could get it right away.  I figure I will sell the old bed liner on craigslist.  After like 4 months of relistling it at which point whoever came and picked it up for free could have had it I get a call from a guy.  He lives in SD but delivers stuff here and would pick it up after he drops his delivery off as long as I drop it off at the business he delivers to.  Best part is he doesn't even try to bargain just says they will have the full cash payment there.  So I load it up and drop it off and they hand me cash.

I also listed some nice JBL Studio series speakers on Ebay.  They didn't sell so I list them on craigslist thinking I will have better luck.  The first text I get was were you selling these on Ebay because I meant to bid on them but forgot to.  Guy ended up buying them for pretty close to what I listed them on ebay for.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought my Jeep on Craigslist. I drove an hour and a half, showed up on time, and spent about an hour going over it in the parking lot of a gas station with the girl who owned it looking on with a bit of fear in her eyes.

I figured out that it had been rear-ended (tailgate was bent, new exhaust, and had a brand new drop hitch on it). After a bit more digging under the hood and crawling under it, I discovered that the right brake drum and the valve cover were both salvage parts (marked "99 Durango" and "00 Dakota" respectively). Turns out, she called her "aunt" that owned the vehicle prior and apparently it had had "some engine trouble" but she swore she had no idea about the rear end damage.

I got it for $1,500 under her asking price, paid cash, and drove it home. Three years later and it's sitting outside right now. It's got a new 8.8" Ford rear end under it - the old one had a bent axle sleeve that kept eating bearings - and a slight oil leak at the head gasket.

TL;DR: Seller was hiding damage, I found it, got a fair deal and everyone was happy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Best cl deal was when I sold a 98 Buick le Sabre  for my mother in law.
She didn't want to deal with it and said anything I got over 3k  was mine.

Sold it in 2 days for 3250. Middle aged lady with kids bought it for her mom.

Met me at the bank I worked at with a cashiers check.

Worst was selling a 05 Honda shadow 750. Clean bike with low mileage.

Asked 3250 which was 500 under blue book.

Got a call while i was at a tcu football game. guy said he would  pay cash and be there in an hour.  I explained I was at a football game.  He said it was the only time he could be there. I said ok and left the game. Get home and he is a no show. Next day he calls and asks if I will take 3k and he can come by. I got irate and told him to eat a bag of dicks as he made me miss my game, didn't call to let me know, and had the audacity to now offer less.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:44:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Sold some integra suspension parts to a guy. A few hours later he calls and says that the rear trailing arm bushings are shot and said he would let me keep 25$ if he could return the parts. I said no because I had told him to look the parts over and that he took the parts. Dude the parts are 14+ years old they are going to have bad rubber bushings.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:54:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Your story is awesome, but your avatar is even more awesome!

That was me one time on a KC-135.  

Military barf bags are notoriously small and between a huge package of beef jerky, an almost full can on Pringles, and a liter of 7-Up, I managed to explode one with the grossest puke concoction ever.  After about 10 touch and go landings on a really hot August day I got really, really airsick.  I couldn't hold it anymore and barfed in the little bitty bag so much that it just blew up.  Then I looked at, and smelled, all the puke covering my boots and pants and shot another load about 4 feet out into the cargo area.

I earned the nick name "Chunks" for that episode.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had some dude tell me that he isn't stupid and knows what I'm selling is stolen . So I sent him a screenshot of the amazon order where I bought an extra on accident and goatse.

He never replied

Your story is awesome, but your avatar is even more awesome!

That was me one time on a KC-135.  

Military barf bags are notoriously small and between a huge package of beef jerky, an almost full can on Pringles, and a liter of 7-Up, I managed to explode one with the grossest puke concoction ever.  After about 10 touch and go landings on a really hot August day I got really, really airsick.  I couldn't hold it anymore and barfed in the little bitty bag so much that it just blew up.  Then I looked at, and smelled, all the puke covering my boots and pants and shot another load about 4 feet out into the cargo area.

I earned the nick name "Chunks" for that episode.  

Thanks and so <.< did you have to clean it up D: ?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:58:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Mines not on CL but a facebook gun group. I was thinking about trading my G19 for another M&P or a lower end 1911 and my brother posted it on a gun group in facebook he's in. I ended up trading it for a Kimber Stainless II with Crimson Trace grips because some dude bought into the Glock is better than a 1911 so bad, he didn't like Glocks that much but he had to have one because of how reliable they are. Now I'm trying to see if my brother can turn a Kimber into a Wilson or something.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:36:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I bought my Jeep on Craigslist. I drove an hour and a half, showed up on time, and spent about an hour going over it in the parking lot of a gas station with the girl who owned it looking on with a bit of fear in her eyes.

I figured out that it had been rear-ended (tailgate was bent, new exhaust, and had a brand new drop hitch on it). After a bit more digging under the hood and crawling under it, I discovered that the right brake drum and the valve cover were both salvage parts (marked "99 Durango" and "00 Dakota" respectively). Turns out, she called her "aunt" that owned the vehicle prior and apparently it had had "some engine trouble" but she swore she had no idea about the rear end damage.

I got it for $1,500 under her asking price, paid cash, and drove it home. Three years later and it's sitting outside right now. It's got a new 8.8" Ford rear end under it - the old one had a bent axle sleeve that kept eating bearings - and a slight oil leak at the head gasket.

TL;DR: Seller was hiding damage, I found it, got a fair deal and everyone was happy.
View Quote
If I ever buy a used car I want you with me.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I sold a refrigerator 2 weeks ago (as in i have been paid in full) but cant get the fucker to come pick it up.
View Quote

My grandpa sold a few old cars to a guy over a decade ago. paid for them all but only hauled a couple away over a couple months.
The rest are still sitting there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:02:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Saw a watch that retailed for 150 listed for 80. Had been listed for 2 weeks. Text the guy offering 60, he replies "I was really hoping to get 60 for it,  when could you meet?"

Setup a meeting with him and shows up wanting 80. I told him if it hasn't sold for 80 in 3 weeks then it's a sign that 80 is too high. Started to leave and he took 60.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:58:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Four groups of Mexican men show up at the same time for a clean Toyota pickup.

Let your imagination run wild.

View Quote

I'm imagining a dance off.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:15:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm always surprised when I buy something off craigslist and they have me come to their home.  No way would I invite craigslisters to my house like that.

Also, don't hold items for people.  First person with cash gets it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Your agent is welcome to pick up the car, as long as they show up with cash.  Now, why would you want to buy a car you've never seen?
View Quote

I had a 98 Z28 that was a year and half old and was trying to sell with no luck. Out of the blue some kid like 6 hours away calls about it and says he wants it. I'm like okay, then his dad calls me the next day and wants the name of my bank and whatnot. I'm calling bullshit and give him limited info. An hour later someone calls and says they are from my bank and everything is GTG. Still not believing any of this, I go to the bank and feel stupid as fuck and ask if someone has paid my car off. Bank manager hands me $7 something grand has me sign some papers and says he doesn't know anything else other than so and so now owns it. Guy calls back the next day and says he will try to make it down in a week to pick it up. Week later kid and his girlfriend pull up, take the keys and leave in a car they have only seen in a black and white picture in one of the old school trading post news papers. This was 1999. Didn't even haggle on the price.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Craigslist brings the idiots out for sure, especially if you are selling something nice. I've got a pretty high end 1968 Protouring Custom Camaro listed for sale at the moment. I've got it listed all over and knew listing a high priced items on CL was asking for it, but i took the dive anyway. It's listed for $80K which is a good realistic value for a car that has $150K into it, a couple classic dealers have offered me in the mid 60's to purchase out right so I figure my price is reasonable based on that being a wholesale figure. In the ad, it specifically states the only 4 cars that I would entertain trading on.

First guy asks me if I want to work out a trade on his 2008 Saleen Mustang (not on the list of 4 cars), and only worth about $40K on the high end. I send back a very nice message stating I couldn't entertain that, it would just require too much cash from him to even up the deal, but best of luck selling his car. Very respectful response to him, what I got back was a 3 paragraph rant about how stupid I was and I didn't know the value of Saleen's and if anything I should be offering him cash on top of my car... I was tempted to respond, but clicked delete.

Second guy doesn't ask any questions about the car, doesn't call me to talk, just sends "YOU TAKE $50K?"... It's doubtful that I will respond, but I sure am tempted to lecture him on negotiating unrealistically and his inability to form full sentences.

The joys of CL and/or eBay for that matter!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's a couple good ones as a seller. Posted a Hayabusa for sale for 5000, negotiate back and forth with a guy and agree to 4500 and I will drop it off on my way thru his town that weekend. Show up and he test rides it, his brother test rides it then he tells me he only brought 4k. Took the 4k because I already had another deal worked out and needed the cash to make that deal happen. About 3 hours layer I get a call from him that he had crashed it and wanted me to come pick it up and give him half his money back. I ddidn't laugh immediately but did as soon as I thought about it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Have had some good luck too. Posted another Hayabusa and guy in seattle offered full asking price if I brought it to him. Threw an AK in my backpack and rode it to seattle, guy gave me cash and then I started searching craigslist for a car to buy to drive home.

Keywords I used were divorce and need to sell and a ended up getting a guy to pick me up and bought his E36 for $1200, sold it for 1800 2 years and 40k miles later.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Have had some good luck too. Posted another Hayabusa and guy in seattle offered full asking price if I brought it to him. Threw an AK in my backpack and rode it to seattle, guy gave me cash and then I started searching craigslist for a car to buy to drive home.

Keywords I used were divorce and need to sell and a ended up getting a guy to pick me up and bought his E36 for $1200, sold it for 1800 2 years and 40k miles later.

View Quote

Mexico to Seattle is a Hell of a ride
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I like to fuck with the guys that list their item and then put $1 in the title.

There was one guy had a stationary generator and put $1 in the title.

I emailed him "I'll take it!!" Asked where I can pick it up.

He got all pissy, saying I didn't understand how it works. I said "you mean the part where you listed it for a dollar?" Then I reported him and CL yanked his ad.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is a bad-ass story.  It would never occur to me to drive somewhere to sell a vehicle, and then have to buy another vehicle just to get home.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
TLDR warning.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I am proud to tell the story of selling the 4runner.

I recently sold my very clean, problem free, 00 4runner limited 4wd on craigslist.  I posted the 4runner and within 24 hours I was talking to several potential buyers via text, phone calls, and email. I was offered a bass boat, an old BMW, and a mish mash of other junk for trade.

I setup the 1st "showing" the next day. The guy says he will be there within the hour, he shows up 3 hours later... I greet Mr. slick and his "mechanic" son-in-law who looks like Larry the Cable Guy, only much much more slack jawed. Mr. fast talker starts into me pretty quick, "Do you have dogs?" (there is a tiny bit of dog hair in the rear cargo area carpet, from the couple times my dogs have ridden in the car). Yes, I answer, I have 2 dogs whom have ridden in the car. He replies "to bad, smells like dog in here". My mom and wife have a freakish sense of smell and have never mentioned this. I kinda shrug my shoulders and mutter wtf. Slick then walks around the vehicle and rubs every scratch in disappointment. While doing this he had a look on his face like he just backed his mint 63 Corvette into a pole. Luckily the 4runner is clean so I did not have to endure the scratch fingering for to long.

We fire her up and slick pops the hood. Slicks son-in-law Jim Bob the mechanic stares at the engine bay like there is an algebraic formula in place of the engine. More questions start coming from slick, he essentially asks me if every single bit under the hood has been replaced or not. I tell him the battery is 1 month old, the oil was changed, and the timing belt was replaced sometime before I got it. He scoffs, "who knows when it was replaced". Jim Bob says "you replaced the spark plugs yet?" A quick "no" satisfies his inquiry. We go for a test drive, slick murmurs on "brakes are mushy, engine seems to hesitate". We get back to my house after the short ride I would describe as smelling like Vaseline and asshole.

Slick points to a puddle on the ground. "What is that? You got a leak of some kind". Jim Bob pops the hood and begins, again, to try the algebraic equation again. Slick starts looking for the "leak". He exclaims "You are leaking brake fluid!". I give him a cross look. From where I ask? Slicks mechanic says "the brake fluid is lower than when we drove it". I look at the brake master cylinder reservoir to find that it is filled to the max line. He never locates a leak. Jim Bob says "Shes leaking in the frame rail". Despite this intimate knowledge he just bestowed upon me he was unable to show me a leak. I point out that it was probably the exhaust condensation. The 4runner had idled still for 10 minutes before a test drive. It was cold and there was a lot of mositure in the air. Perfect formula for exhaust condensation. He starts to leave, right as he gets to his truck he asks me "how much do you want for it with the brake problem?". I just say I will fix is and keep my same asking price... He leaves.

The next day the 1st of 3 comes to look at the car and buys it for very near my asking price with cash.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Not me but a friend.

Selling a Harley at the peak of the frenzy a few years ago. Settled on a price. The guy drives 200 miles up, looks at the bike and says he'll take it for the agreed price.

Loads it on the trailer. Then says he'll pay after he sells it "to a friend". Owner says no way, take it off the trailer. Guy pulls a 1911 and shoots him right on his own driveway. In front of the neighbor. His wife (my friend) hears the shots. He sees her and chases her into the house. Kills her too.

The idiot never made 20 miles down the road. Neighbor called the cops and they got him. He's sitting on death row wasting our tax dollars.

I'll never let anybody look at an item I'm selling at my house.

Never.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Not me but a friend.

Selling a Harley at the peak of the frenzy a few years ago. Settled on a price. The guy drives 200 miles up, looks at the bike and says he'll take it for the agreed price.

Loads it on the trailer. Then says he'll pay after he sells it "to a friend". Owner says no way, take it off the trailer. Guy pulls a 1911 and shoots him right on his own driveway. In front of the neighbor. His wife (my friend) hears the shots. He sees her and chases her into the house. Kills her too.

The idiot never made 20 miles down the road. Neighbor called the cops and they got him. He's sitting on death row wasting our tax dollars.

Never.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not me but a friend.

Never.
View Quote

Well, fuck. That puts a damper on this thread full of funny tards and shenanigans. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friends.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm always surprised when I buy something off craigslist and they have me come to their home.  No way would I invite craigslisters to my house like that.
View Quote

Every single transaction I've done on Craigslist has been at the sellers house, or at my house when I'm the one selling.

Of course it's a bit different in that I have only bought and sold livestock on CL.  Kind of strange meeting in the Walmart parking lot with a bunch of goats to trade for pigs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, I sold my 98 Camaro in 2013... It was clean, everything worked fine to my knowledge except for the driver side window, I think the window motor was on it's last leg. Well, I post it on CL, disclose this information and have a hit within 20 minutes. She meets me at the police station (because of stories similar to the one above I wont meet without at least being near a police station ) She takes it for a four mile test drive, and decides to buy it.She does, roughly $500 less than asking.

Well, this is one of those stories where in probably the asshole. She texts me about a week later with a question and also mentions it is in the shop for repairs, I answer the question and never heard from her again. I truly hope it didn't break down in that first week, but a window motor is pretty is DIY so I don't think it was for that...

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Had  a good cl experince today.A guy posted some water softner salt in the free section.I happend to be in his area, so i told him i would take it.I assumed  this would be 1 bag.As it turned out, the guy had 300 lbs in 5 gallon pails, and he even helped me load it.I use this stuff  as salt licks near my deer food plots.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not me but a friend.

Never.
View Quote

Damn... that escalated quickly..

Glad they got the fag
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Not a Craigslist story but I have had three contractors show up at my house at the same time for concrete work. That was fun!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Tried to sell a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 that was in excellent shape, low milage and had a similar experience to the guy with the 4runner. This dude emails me says he is interested, we speak on the phone and I tell him a place near my house we can meet. He texts me about 4 hours after the agreed upon time with an excuse of a family emergency; whatever, im off and the meet up place is two minutes down the road. This guy is probably about late 40s and looks like he is in his mid 70s, smells like someone that locked himself into a phone booth and chain smoked 2cartons of Reds, is essentially covered in dirt/grime, has about eight rotting teeth left in his head. He starts laying into how crappy the truck is and how much work he will have to do to fix it up. I tell him if its going to be such a problem you should probably buy a different truck and start to walk away. His tune changes, we haggle a bit back and forth a bit and we settle on a number. The ad said CASH very clearly and he pulls out a check and says, "Im trying to hide money from the government willl you take a check from my wife." I said no, cash only stop wasting my time and left. I sold it two days later for full asking price in cash to a very nice hispanic dude. Craigs list trash is a pain in the ass but if you can wade through it you can find a good buyer.

People that start negotiations with "whats your bottom dollar" I usually reply with the original asking price or add some on top depending on my mood or the item listed.

I listed an M1A in the EE a few years back. Some dipshit out of state asked me if I would trade my factory black synthetic M1A stock for his factory black synthetic M1A stock. Of course he assured me that he would ship on the same day that we both agreed upon and that his was in mint condition.I replied no.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a guy one time that I sold a pistol too, that explicitly stated it didn't come with the factory box. I drove 20 miles to meet him, and the transaction went extremely smooth. 2 days later I find the factory pistol case and I text him up stating I found it, and wouldnt mind meeting up as long as it was when I was in town (i worked right near where we met). The next day we agree on a time to meet up, and i waited 45 minutes with a no show. I called once and texted twice while waiting on him. I had also spoken to him 20 minutes before the arranged meet, and he agreed to be there.after 45 minutes i said fuck it and left. 2.5 hours later I get a call from him which I just ignore. Then i get a rude text asking why I'm not there. I told him if he expected me to wait around for over 3 hrs for him while I was doing him a favor he was out of his fucking mind. The case was now in a dumpster and he could go find it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not me but a friend.

why? he would have been shot at his house or at a public place. someone like him doesnt care if they kill you in your driveway or a walmart parking lot.

Never.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Every single transaction I've done on Craigslist has been at the sellers house, or at my house when I'm the one selling.

Of course it's a bit different in that I have only bought and sold livestock on CL.  Kind of strange meeting in the Walmart parking lot with a bunch of goats to trade for pigs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i have sold cars from my house. they can find your house pretty easily when buying a car from you whether the meet at your house or at a public place.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Posted here before but I listed my bassboat on a fishing forum as well as facebook and Craigslist. Guy calls from South Carolina and says he's coming to look at it. I bought it new 10 years before and it was in amazing condition. He got there and looked it over. We went for a ride and he told me he had a family emergency and God told him to go home and not buy the boat. He drove like 14 hours 1 way.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I've sold over 5 cars on craigslist at the price I wanted.

I ignore all lowballers and first come first served.
View Quote
over 5 cars?  Was it like 6 or closer to 10?

Reminds me of the McDonald's signs that read "over a billion served"
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not a Craigslist story but I have had three contractors show up at my house at the same time for concrete work. That was fun!
View Quote

You can't just drop that in here & leave. We need the story.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:05:04 AM EDT
[#40]
CI sold an old willys jeep ('53) on CL. one guy was really uspet that it wasn't in mint condition. my add was honest--not running, rusty, many non OEM parts, painted orange. the guy walked around it and talked to himself for about 15 minutes really working the haggle. I told him "well, let's just agree this isn't the jeep for you." he didn't want to hear that and kept trying to tell me how it didn't suit his needs as he really wanted a mint resto jeep. Finally it was "either buy it for what I'm asking or leave." He finally did leave. the next day a guy showed up and gave me full asking price. The problem was the jackass locked his keys in his truck. so he and his 2 yo son had to wait in my house for about a 1/2 hour for his wife to come bring a spare set of keys. he at least seemed normal and I simply couldn't let the guy and his 2 yo wait outside when it was -20.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:41:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I responded to a CL personals ad with a smartass one-liner.

Two years later we got married.
View Quote

He sounds nice.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Have a LG Tablet up for $125. Just go this email:

would you be willing to work out a deal for it with:$25 gift card to old navy
$25 gift card to applebees
$25 gift card to gamestop
$25 gift card to big 5
and cash

sigh.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#43]
My best friend told me that he was going to post all the extra drywall they had left over after finishing his garage. I hop on CL and find his ad, log on to my burner Gmail.

I send him a vanilla first email asking general questions about the drywall, if it had been exposed to excessive moisture, etc. Get a normal reply.

Then I start in on what he would take for a trade. I explain that I have three beautiful Nubian goats that I will offer for trade. They are healthy but smell too strange to keep in the house anymore. One is diabetic.

Then I offer for him to drive my classic 93 foxbody Mustang for a weekend. It smells like burning oil but it is still fun to drive. The brakes grind really bad so I always downshift.

After that's declined, I then make my best offer. I will lend my professional video services and production to a home made cinematic masterpiece of him making sweet sweet love to his significant other. I tell him it's not weird, and that I'm always draped in a black sheet and hardly noticeable during filming.

After all of this he inevitably tells me to fuck off, stops replying.

About a week goes by and he tells me he finally sold the drywall. I casually mention goats and sex tapes in the same sentence and he catches on. Good times.  

*** I have no goats, no 'classic' 93 mustang, and no interest in filming others smash uglies***
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I truly hope it didn't break down in that first week, but a window motor is pretty is DIY so I don't think it was for that...

View Quote

As-is means exactly that.  If it dies in front of my house, it's still yours.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#45]

Friend was selling a truck a couple years ago for 10K. Guy asks how much in trade will he take off for a drag racing snowmobile. (This is in Mississippi mind you) so he told him he'd take 10K plus the snowmobile lol.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I had a guy call me up about a boat I was selling on craigslist.  The guy goes on and on about how he likes boats, and he dad had a boat when he was a kid.  After about 5min of him jabbering.....I finally said "would you like to make an offer on my boat?" .....the guy said "oh, I don't really have enough money to make an offer on it....I just thought it looked cool, and I thought I would give you a call and talk about it".  
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#47]
My only craigslist experience was listing my dirtbike for KBB top dollar and having some stoner show up a couple hours later with the full amount in cash.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well, I sold my 98 Camaro in 2013... It was clean, everything worked fine to my knowledge except for the driver side window, I think the window motor was on it's last leg. Well, I post it on CL, disclose this information and have a hit within 20 minutes. She meets me at the police station (because of stories similar to the one above I wont meet without at least being near a police station ) She takes it for a four mile test drive, and decides to buy it.She does, roughly $500 less than asking.

Well, this is one of those stories where in probably the asshole. She texts me about a week later with a question and also mentions it is in the shop for repairs, I answer the question and never heard from her again. I truly hope it didn't break down in that first week, but a window motor is pretty is DIY so I don't think it was for that...

View Quote

A lot of people take used cars in to the mechanic when they buy them. It makes sense - they don't know when the last time it was serviced was, or what maintenance hasn't been done.

Hell, I do the same thing, I just don't take it to someone else.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I just got a call on an end table I had listed on CL for $50. The guy said he'd take it, and didn't haggle a bit. He should be around tonight to pick it up.

... considering I grabbed that end table from beside the dumpster in an apartment complex about a month ago, I'd pretty happy with this deal :)
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What's the most you'll pay?

I don't understand "what's the least you'll take" as a negotiating technique. You're
supposed to counter-offer, you dope. Instead I just drop by some fraction of the
negotiating cushion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have about a thousand emails asking "whats the lowest you will take" *delete*

What's the most you'll pay?

I don't understand "what's the least you'll take" as a negotiating technique. You're
supposed to counter-offer, you dope. Instead I just drop by some fraction of the
negotiating cushion.

This must be why you have zero feedback.

Happens all the time, even here. It happened so often, I even started doing it when throwing out offers.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top